Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

One piece of advice that changed your game?

Morning all,

What one simple piece of advice dramatically changed your game, for better or worse I guess!?

For me it was ball position hitting wedges. I was having a vokey fitting and hitting my usual straight but slightly left shots. Fitter asked if he could do one thing which was to move the ball dead centre of my stance instead of a few inches left of centre. Change was immediate and huge. Took a bit of time getting used to but have never looked back. 

Driver: Titleist TSi2 10 / Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue Raw 65 S

3 Wood: Titleist TSi3 15 / Project X RDX Smoke Black 70 6.0

Hybrid: Titleist TSi3 18 / Fujikura Atmos HB Tour Spec Red 7 S

4 Iron: Titleist U500 / Graphite Design Tour AD DI 85 S

5 - 9 Irons: Mizuno 921 Tour / Nippon Modus 3 120 S

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM7 46F, 50F, 54S & 58M / Nippon Modus Wedge 115

Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport Select (2016) / BGT Stability Tour

Ball: Srixon Z Star XV

Adjust my shoulders at setup. 

I was hitting huge slices when I started golfing and tried every YouTube tip in the book. Had a few lessons with someone and nothing really helped. Finally had a lesson with a former mini-tour player and within the first 5 shots he told me my shoulders were pointed 40 yards to the left of the target. I had no choice but to cut across the ball. He gave me a few other tips that have helped, but that one alone got me from 115 to mid 90's in the blink of an eye.

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

Enjoy the game.

I was and still am very competitive but I would get pretty amped up if I didn’t play well. Baseball was a little different and I could use that energy in the game not in golf. 
When I am not playing well or have a bad shot I still focus on what I did or didn’t do to get that result but I don’t get pissed so it doesn’t effect my game like it once did

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

Weapons of grass destruction (link to WITB)

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:EVNROLL: ER2VI :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Are you a veteran? Check out the Veterans Golf Association (VGA) Thread!

Getting fitted. I won't lie I've always thought I new enough math/physics/biomechanics and was a decent athlete to figure out the game quicker than others. Only problem is I'm not the size of the general male population. I'm quite undersized... Having my irons fitted has made a huge difference and I expect that to reflect in my scores early on this year, soon to have a driver fitting this season which I expect to have the same effect.

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 Plus 9deg Kai' li Red

:taylormade-small:Stealth 2 13deg Aldilla Rogue Silver

:taylormade-small:Stealth 2 15deg Aldilla Rogue Silver

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 4-PW Nippon Modus 120s

:vokey-small: SM8 54 and 58deg Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex

:titleist-small: Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Titleist ProV1

:ping-small: Hoofer Stand Bag

Stewart Q Follow Electric Caddie

:callaway-small: 300 PRO Rangefinder

Official Nippon Regio B+ Driver Shaft Review

Official Stewart Q Follow Review

Know the rules so you know your options on the course

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

It took me years to fully appreciate, but every single shot is a new opportunity. One bad shot does not have to lead to a bad round, bad hole or even bad next shot. Really learning that lesson has saved me multiple strokes on every round for years. I know way too many players who let one or a few bad shots trash their score on one or several holes, even a whole round. When I hit a bad shot, I often chuckle out loud, but I never get mad. It’s on to what can I do with the next shot...

It was a series of events that convinced me, culminating in a 9 hole round where I took a 9 on the fourth hole (par 4), and scored a 39. And the lesson has been reinforced many times since (e.g. last year I had a round with a 44 front nine, 36 back nine...)

• Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, Payntr X 001 F (Mesh)

Not really advice. But, after going to a Cleveland hybrid iron set, my irons play improved. Not magic. But, it makes the game more enjoyable. Previously, I sliced and topped the ball and now those misses and greatly diminished. Equipment can help.

Edited by NC Golfer

Most recently it was a tip by the guy that appears on TXG’s YouTube channel that gives short game advice. He was helping with shots around the green and mentioned just using a putting stroke, even on longer shots, just keeping the same timing and feel, just lengthening that “putting” stroke.I heard this same advice years ago and I got away from it. In my last round I was a + strokes gained by just using this one thought with my chips and pitches around the greens. So simple, yet SO effective. 

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

Take lessons

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

3 hours ago, RollingGreens said:

Getting fitted. I won't lie I've always thought I new enough math/physics/biomechanics and was a decent athlete to figure out the game quicker than others. Only problem is I'm not the size of the general male population. I'm quite undersized... Having my irons fitted has made a huge difference and I expect that to reflect in my scores early on this year, soon to have a driver fitting this season which I expect to have the same effect.

I have the same issue with being undersized (assuming you are referring to height). 

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 07/15/2022
Driver:callaway-small: Rogue St Max LS - Autoflex
Fairway Woods:callaway-small: Rogue Max St 3HL and 7 Wood
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip
Wedges:ping-small: Glide 4.0 54 and 58
Putter:  :ping-small: PLD Custom Kushin 4

You don't hit anything on the way back.

Meaning on your back swing. He wanted me to slow it down. He said its hard to go from 80% speed on the way back and come to a complete stop and go 90% in the other direction without being inconsistant. 

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

"Be the ball". Ty Webb

OK, maybe that wasn't the best advice ever, but it's the one I remember.  🙂  

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

If you want to have fun, don't keep score. 

If you want to get good, practice until it doesn't feel fun. 

Titleist 975J

Callaway Hawkeye 3 Wood

Ben Hogan CFT Hybrid, Apex Plus Irons

Cleveland 588 Wedges

Scotty Newport 2 Mid Slant Pro Platinum

Focus on where you want the ball to go and not where the trouble is located.  The brain does not understand negatives.  When you say "Don't go in the water," the brain hears "go in the water."

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”