Testers Wanted! Volvik Golf Balls ×

Online Masters Programs...Seeking Input...

bens197

My wife and I have been discussing future plans and setting a goal of when to retire.  My job allows me the opportunity to leave in 12 years and I am looking at plans following my FD career.  4 years ago last month there was a fatal car crash that we arrived first on scene.  Sparing the details, it has been living and occupying space in my head on an almost weekly basis.  

A few months ago there was this recurring thought in my head, why not pursue a masters in mental health counseling?  I did some brief research and found some local colleges that offer a two year MA.  Online-only schools are also available and are very flexible / friendly for a full-time employee/parent/someone who wants to further their education without putting life on hold.

Have any of you earned your post-grad degrees online?  Any thoughts or feedback would be welcomed. 🙂

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

I had several people that worked for me or with me that continued their education on line. They either got their Associates, Bachelors, or Masters. What most employers look for is the degree and not where it came from. With COVID-19 this is becoming a very popular way to further your education. My son was going to an engineering college and they sent him home for on line classes. I basically told him to just transfer over to an on line school and save yourself the money. There was no benefit to staying where he was since you were on line anyway. Even the Labs were weird. You just watched the teacher do the work on line and took notes. 

I would say to go for the on line and you can do it at your own pace.  

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

29 minutes ago, bens197 said:

My wife and I have been discussing future plans and setting a goal of when to retire.  My job allows me the opportunity to leave in 12 years and I am looking at plans following my FD career.  4 years ago last month there was a fatal car crash that we arrived first on scene.  Sparing the details, it has been living and occupying space in my head on an almost weekly basis.  

A few months ago there was this recurring thought in my head, why not pursue a masters in mental health counseling?  I did some brief research and found some local colleges that offer a two year MA.  Online-only schools are also available and are very flexible / friendly for a full-time employee/parent/someone who wants to further their education without putting life on hold.

Have any of you earned your post-grad degrees online?  Any thoughts or feedback would be welcomed. 🙂

I'm not a fully online Masters student, but thanks to COVID I've now taken something like 15 of my required credit hours online. My caveat to my experience is that the school at which I'm taking the classes was not an online school prior to COVID and had barely dipped its toes into the online class format prior.

For a working adult, I thoroughly enjoy the online, asynchronous classes I've taken. I've also taken online, synchronous courses where we were required to be in a Zoom meeting at a specific time each week. They were far less enjoyable because I'm not particularly good at blocking out distractions at home. I much preferred the asynchronous classes where I could pause the lecture, or play it back at slightly higher speeds, etc. Much more conducive to a busy schedule.

As long as these online-only schools have been doing it for a while, I think you'll be just fine with course quality. Obviously, rushing to put everything online did no favors to faculty, but the quality of my online courses has been less than stellar. It's obvious many of my professors have not taught online before, so there are definite struggles in regards to effectively communicating topics sometimes. However, they all have been very receptive to meeting virtually with students if needed, so that's been a big help.

Unofficial WHS Handicap: 5.6 / Anti-Cap: 13.0 (Last Updated May 20, 2024)

Driver: callaway_logo.png.3dd18aa65544000dd0ea3901697a8261.png Callaway Paradym TD (10.5°, -1/N), 45.75", Fujikura Motore X F1 6X | Fitting Post
3 Wood: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra RadSpeed Big Tour (14.5°), 43", Fujikura Motore X F1 7X
20° Hybrid: PXG_Logo.png.8401024d1fb8aec46f0e790c1aa5b80c.png PXG 0211 (2020 Model), 40.25", Mitsubishi Tensei AV RAW White 90X
4 Utility: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra KING Utility (2020 Model), 38.5", Aerotech SteelFiber i110cw Stiff
5-PW:
logo-Ben-Hogan-large.png.98d743ae5487285c6406a1e30a0a63b5.png Ben Hogan PTx Pro, 37" 7 Iron, Aerotech SteelFiber i125cw Stiff | Club Champion Fitting
50°, 54°, 58°:
231036130_Edel_Golf_Logo_v2_grandecopy.png.13cc76b963f8dd59f06d04b1e8df2827.png Edel SMS, V Grind, Nippon Modus 125 Wedge| Official Review Thread
Putter:
image.png.49fcc172a1ed0010d930fbe1c5dc8b79.png L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1, 36", 68°, Black with Custom Sightlines, BGT Stability Tour, L.A.B. Press II 3° | Unofficial Review
Grips: 
stargrip.png.4285948f41f1409613266e7803f0bbaa.png Star Sidewinder, Undersized with Custom Tape Build-Up
Ball: :Snell:Snell MTB-X Optic Yellow

Tracked By: shotscope.png.4a7089f2bddff325285b1266a61dda03.png  Shot Scope H4
Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Personalized 2020 Sun Mountain Sync
Riding On: 
image.png.1db52ce91db040317a9ac580f1df8de8.pngBag Boy Nitron | Official Review Thread

WITB? | 2022 Reviewer Edel SMS Wedges | 2021 Reviewer Maxfli Tour and Tour X Balls2020 Participant #CobraConnect Challenge | 2019 Reviewer Callaway Epic Flash Driver

5 minutes ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

I had several people that worked for me or with me that continued their education on line. They either got their Associates, Bachelors, or Masters.

What most employers look for is the degree and not where it came from.

Thanks Tom!...this is the validation that I was looking for.  When I earned my Bachelor's one thing that stood out was unless you're pursuing a specific job at a specific location, most undergrad degrees were just that, undergrad.  I did not know if this was specific to Masters programs as well.

• Srixon Z-Star XV 

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

3 minutes ago, edingc said:

I'm not a fully online Masters student, but thanks to COVID I've now taken something like 15 of my required credit hours online. My caveat to my experience is that the school at which I'm taking the classes was not an online school prior to COVID and had barely dipped its toes into the online class format prior.

For a working adult, I thoroughly enjoy the online, asynchronous classes I've taken. I've also taken online, synchronous courses where we were required to be in a Zoom meeting at a specific time each week. They were far less enjoyable because I'm not particularly good at blocking out distractions at home. I much preferred the asynchronous classes where I could pause the lecture, or play it back at slightly higher speeds, etc. Much more conducive to a busy schedule.

As long as these online-only schools have been doing it for a while, I think you'll be just fine with course quality. Obviously, rushing to put everything online did no favors to faculty, but the quality of my online courses has been less than stellar. It's obvious many of my professors have not taught online before, so there are definite struggles in regards to effectively communicating topics sometimes. However, they all have been very receptive to meeting virtually with students if needed, so that's been a big help.

And that's the benefit...working and raising a daughter means flexibility is paramount.

The only online programs I have taken were during Paramedic school for the third semester in 2009.  Frankly, all I remember was that style of learning worked better for me for the reasons you mentioned...Fewer distractions...it forces you to engage.  Thanks 🙂

• Srixon Z-Star XV 

I got my MBA fully online through a university that's a whopping 10 mins away from me 🙂 I loved the schedule flexibility of being able to take classes after work, get homework done on my own time, etc. Online programs tend to be geared towards folks who work during the day, so classes are at nights and on weekends. Or they're video assignments that you can do based on your availability. 

On the downside, some things that were tougher for me to grasp like statistics was compounded by being in an online class and not having the ability to sit directly in front of the professor or hang back after class. But that was very minor in comparison to all of the plusses. 

Like noted above, when I've looked at resumes when hiring, I never once said "was this in person or online?" I just looked at the school and the degree. That's it. 

In my Big Max hybrid bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:wilson_staff_small: D7 6i-GW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact

10 minutes ago, russtopherb said:

I got my MBA fully online through a university that's a whopping 10 mins away from me 🙂 I loved the schedule flexibility of being able to take classes after work, get homework done on my own time, etc. Online programs tend to be geared towards folks who work during the day, so classes are at nights and on weekends. Or they're video assignments that you can do based on your availability. 

On the downside, some things that were tougher for me to grasp like statistics was compounded by being in an online class and not having the ability to sit directly in front of the professor or hang back after class. But that was very minor in comparison to all of the plusses. 

Like noted above, when I've looked at resumes when hiring, I never once said "was this in person or online?" I just looked at the school and the degree. That's it. 

Thanks...I am noticing a trend here, you guys are fans of this style of education. 

• Srixon Z-Star XV 

All good insight. I didn’t do a masters but my bachelors I did fully in school and then hybrid and the last semester was covid so fully online.

my personnel preference was hybrid. I was going in 1 time per week on tuesdays at night. Rest was online. Was kind of the best of both worlds IMO. Any issues you had the ability to be there to ask and get help but also not the hectic going in all the time.

My wife is going for her MA and started last fall. If you are going to do fully online just be cautious of course load. She struggled because she really loaded up on classes. 

You know how you learn best so really your call for me hybrid was that nice happy medium. Good luck and continuing education is an awesome decision 

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

Weapons of grass destruction (link to WITB)

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:EVNROLL: ER2VI :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Are you a veteran? Check out the Veterans Golf Association (VGA) Thread!