2 clubs, same distance question

I was at the range today trying to get a handle on which iron was reliable for a 100 yard shot. Up until today it's always been my Gap Wedge. I noticed the last round I played I had 80 yards to the pin. Took out my 54 degree wedge and proceeded to sail over the green. Which brings me to today and checking yardage. 

Both my Gap and 54 wedge are pretty consistent at 100 yards carry. The Gap is a Ping G410, the 54 degree wedge is a Callaway MD3. 

Trying to understand why these 2 clubs on a full swing are consistently the same yardage?

Any thoughts?

Chris

Edited by LeftyHawk

Far and Sure......

:callaway-small:          GBB Epic  11*             

:callaway-small:               GBB Epic 7W (Heavenwood)

:ping-small::             G410 4 thru GW

:callaway-logo-1:   MD3 54*,60*                                                         

:cleveland-small:         Huntington Beach Soft #4

:bridgestone-small:   Tour B RX

Also… what are the trajectories?  I can and hit my 9, PW, Gap and 54° a 100 yards, but it’s how they get there.  Like today, actually I hit a 7 iron from 100 yards because anything above 10’ was getting blown off the course… landed it at 75 in the rough and let it bounce and roll up… 

Having a few different ways to get the job done is never a problem.

I'd also recommend taking them in and getting the lofts checked.  If the 54 was a little strong and the gap a little weak that would make them closer.  

How is the gap between your gap and PW?  Also how is the gap between your 54 and next higher lofted wedge?  

Finally don't test on the course in different conditions.  There are all kind of factors that could cause that between two random shots.  One uphill vs down.  One with and one against the wind.  One with a flyer lie vs not.  Just make sure you are comparing apples to apples vs a one off shot that happened to nuke over the green.

Last note, I wouldn't try and get accurate yardages on the range.  Next time you golf and it's not too busy just drop a couple gamer balls you actually play and hit both clubs and then check the yardage.  If you have a laser an easy way to do that is hit them both off the tee and then shoot the ball washer or hole sign back on the tee box when you get to them.  Will give you a much better idea vs judging where a range ball landed.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

First and simple thing is check lofts on both clubs. 

Second it’s probably a technique thing if the lofts are correct or have enough of a gap between them. 

Also without any launch monitor numbers or video it’s hard to say what’s causing this gapping issue. As well as what was going on at the course with lie, stance, environmentalists, etc

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Agree with above comments about trajectory and especially the technique thing.  How you deliver each club to the ball could influence distance.  I'm also assuming that different shafts are involved between the set gap wedge and the MD3 SW.  You may be getting optimal spin loft with the SW.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

There are a multitude of factors that can affect distance. I do have one question, what wedge do you have in your g410 irons (UW, SW, LW)? I'm assuming it's a UW at 49.5* but if it's a SW or LW, there's your answer.

My next question: Do you feel like you swing any differently between the two clubs? Do you feel you go at the ball more (steeper) with the 54*? Do you tend to take bigger divots with the Callaway wedge? If you feel like you're more aggressive with the 54*, you're likely delofting it as others have mentioned.

Assuming the measured specs are correct, this is when we get into the weird land of golf club fitting that can't really be solved over the internet. Total club weight, swing weight, shaft characteristics, lie angle, and head shape/sole grind can all dramatically influence how fast and how you go about swinging a club. The Callaway wedge likely has a higher swing weight if it's just an off the shelf stock wedge compared to the Ping (D4 vs D2 if going by stock specs). The Callaway wedge's sole is also likely going to be more inviting for a steeper swing. Heavier swing weights can change how golfers perceive the feel of the golf club in their swing and sometimes (many times in my experience) can lead to faster swing speeds. The higher swing weights can give golfers a better perceived feeling of "loading" in the swing which can boost confidence (feel) to swing faster. 

My ultimate guess that makes a lot of unproven assumptions is that you're swinging faster and steeper with the Callaway wedge. The club weight, swing weight, club head/sole shape, and appearance at address are all factors that would potentially make someone make a different swing with a more "traditional" wedge such as the Callaway MD3 over the Ping G410 gap wedge. 

Assuming each clubs specs are correct, I would recommend trying to get the matching Ping G410 SW to replace the MD3 54* if you're looking for consistency. If you really like the MD3, keep it and maybe just spend some more time practicing with it. It's a different club with notably different characteristics than the G410 wedge and that may simply require some practice to get used to. If issues persist, you could try bending the MD3 to 55*. There really isn't a perfect answer here to address what you have outside of telling you to spend a bunch of money and get fit. 

Everything I was going to recommend is already posted, but I'll add my own experience...  Almost all my irons were going about the same distance at one point, and it was because of how I was addressing the ball and holding the club.  Once I adjusted my grip at address, my distances spread back out again.  Not quite to 10yds each like they were when I played several times a week, but at least I'm not hitting a 3h and 9i the same anymore 🤣

Giga Golf TRX irons 5-P, hybrids 3&4 , and fairway woods 3&5

TaylorMade SLDR driver

Odyssey Putter

Swing being equal check loft/lie if each as suggested. Shaft, low/mid in one club vs high in the other makes a difference too.

“Adventure Before Dementia “

PING G425 4-UW/SW Black Dot +1” Alta CB RFlex / ChipR

PING G410 Plus DRIVER 10.5* / 3W 14*/ 5W 17.5* / 3hyb. 19* / 9W 22*

PING Putter Custom PLD 4J Prototype / 1968 Anser / Odyssey TriHot #3

VICE Pro Soft Lime Green / Bridgestone RX - TreoSoft

On 6/8/2022 at 12:31 AM, hckymeyer said:

I'd also recommend taking them in and getting the lofts checked.  If the 54 was a little strong and the gap a little weak that would make them closer.  

How is the gap between your gap and PW?  Also how is the gap between your 54 and next higher lofted wedge?  

Finally don't test on the course in different conditions.  There are all kind of factors that could cause that between two random shots.  One uphill vs down.  One with and one against the wind.  One with a flyer lie vs not.  Just make sure you are comparing apples to apples vs a one off shot that happened to nuke over the green.

Last note, I wouldn't try and get accurate yardages on the range.  Next time you golf and it's not too busy just drop a couple gamer balls you actually play and hit both clubs and then check the yardage.  If you have a laser an easy way to do that is hit them both off the tee and then shoot the ball washer or hole sign back on the tee box when you get to them.  Will give you a much better idea vs judging where a range ball landed.

I will confirm this (getting lofts checked).  My players will often come in and say X and Y irons are going the same distance or only 5yds farther.  I will check the lofts and sure enough they are often only 1* different.  It makes a big difference in a game of such small margins. 

Instagram:  @tony_rosselli_

:SuperSpeed:Training

Pre training max driver speed: 124mph

Current: 130mph

WITB:

Driver: :ping-small:G425 Max, 9*

Woods: :taylormade-small: 2007 Burner TP 3 wood and 5 wood

Irons:  :srixon-small: Z765 4-PW (1 degree flat) with KBS $-130 shafts

Wedges:  :vokey-small: SM7 50/12/F, 54/10/S and 58/12/D

Putter:  L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1

Ball:  :titelist-small: ProV1

I guess the only thing not written is the actual make of the wedges - I've never gamed a Callaway wedge but have Pings.  Regardless there are things other than loft that determine distance even on the same swing - head weighting, shaft weight, grind/turf interaction and shaft length might all be factors.

I agree that the very first thing to do is determine if you truly have an issue.  The only ways to do that are a trackman session (costly) or on the course or an open piece of flat land (you'd only need 110 yards of so for this.)  My community has a par 3 course which works great for this in the summer.  I determine how far I want the club that I'm hitting to go or the longer of the 2 for gapping purposes and after I'm out of eye sight from the clubhouse (shhhhhh) shoot the pin and drop 4 gamer balls hitting two with each wedge for the next several holes - you get an amazing amount of data in a short period of time that way.  

Don't assume because it looks like you hit a couple of 54's as long as your gap on the range that you actually hit them the same distance - way too many variables involved there.  

Good luck!

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD