Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Help with Numbers

JFish350

Let me clear the foot spray debate.  I don't or didn't use it on any of the numbers on this thread. Those numbers are dry legal face.

Next, yes if a person does not wipe the foot powder off every few shots its a PITA to clean off. I made that mistake the first time I used it. I clean it off every 3-4 shots. Water and your towel or go gross and lick your thumb and rub the powder off. 

I have never heard of the wax, but if it's cheaper than Dr scholls I'll use it as long as it works just as good and as easy to clean off my clubs. 

I really do appreciate everyone's suggestions and help. As AZSTU said it's a rabbit hole and I am going to enjoy the adventure. My ultimate goal would be 270 in the fairway with fairway being the main objective. The yards will come with proper swing mechanics and I am confident I'll get there. I just don't know what suggestions are going to work for me. 

I have moved the ball forward and finding I need to almost hit a fade. What I don't know if where my contact is on the clubface. I am hoping to stop at my local driving range tomorrow and see whats up. 

Thanks fellas. 

Sub 70 949 D 9* HZRUDS 60G 6.5 smoke RDX shaft. 

Sub 70 949X 4 wood ALDILA ABV 65-S shaft

Sub 70 699 Pro 4-AW 

Sub 70 3 utility 19*

Callaway 56 and 58 wedge. 

OG White Hot #1 putter

yesterdays numbers, NO foot spray or wax.

Also this is with a Sub70 949 Pro driver.  This isn't my current gamer but could be. My dispersion was better, spin rate was down, but my AOA was still hitting down on the ball. 

image.jpeg.c40f4b5573870ce7576339e6de42002c.jpeg

image.jpeg.d15ca39ecee75543dca0497be8796eb2.jpeg

Sub 70 699 Pro 4-AW 

Sub 70 3 utility 19*

OG White Hot #1 putter

1 hour ago, JFish350 said:

Only using the foot spray to determine ball contact on the club face. When I start having issues like I am it's the first thing I look at is connection. In this case I haven't since I keep forgetting. 

I have been looking at Clay Ballard video's but haven't followed through on the lessons. This last round and figuring out AOA I have been working on hitting up on the ball. 

Thanks for the info everything helps and a work in progress to see what works for me. 

The swing up thought is something you need to drop. A good swing will take care of that. One doesn’t need to be way up to hit the ball long. think about making a level swing.

WOW, That's a lot of info and the video makes sense especially the swing the butte not the hips. I constantly try to get my hips through first. Possible reason I do top or have been topping some driver shots. 

I am not purposely going for a high swing speed, but it does feel more natural to me. I do however want to know what my SS is just to know. I do try to slow down and work on contact, but honestly I feel it doesn't help if I don't have an instructor telling me what I am doing wrong. Yes I have gone to an instructor and he didn't help at all. It was extremely frustrating, there's a story I won't go into in this thread. 

I am trying to figure out how to edit a video I took. I think it would help you guys see what's up. I don't think my swing is that bad, there's just something off. 

The bolded part is the old fire the hips thought. This is going to make things even worse when combined with the hit up thought.

The proper sequence will have everything moving in the correct pattern. 

Yes a video will help. Go into you phone, choose to edit the vidoe and trim it down to a single swing. 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

What does your wear pattern look like on your irons? Is it larger than a dime? They do have simple marking tapes that will show you your pattern. If you can hit your irons in a dime-sized pattern and you can't hit the same on your driver, perhaps it's time to get a refit on your driver and live with the distance that you can consistently hit in the center of the club.JMHO. YMMV. 3 GROOVE, 4 Groove, Or other strike. Why are wild strike patterns acceptable with a Driver that couldn't be tolerated with an iron?

3 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

The swing up thought is something you need to drop. A good swing will take care of that. One doesn’t need to be way up to hit the ball long. think about making a level swing.

The bolded part is the old fire the hips thought. This is going to make things even worse when combined with the hit up thought.

The proper sequence will have everything moving in the correct pattern. 

Yes a video will help. Go into you phone, choose to edit the vidoe and trim it down to a single swing. 

I am not trying to hit up on the ball. I am trying to figure how hit the ball on the up swing and not on the down swing.   if that makes sense. 

Sub 70 699 Pro 4-AW 

Sub 70 3 utility 19*

OG White Hot #1 putter

2 hours ago, A Ziggy said:

What does your wear pattern look like on your irons? Is it larger than a dime? They do have simple marking tapes that will show you your pattern. If you can hit your irons in a dime-sized pattern and you can't hit the same on your driver, perhaps it's time to get a refit on your driver and live with the distance that you can consistently hit in the center of the club.JMHO. YMMV. 3 GROOVE, 4 Groove, Or other strike. Why are wild strike patterns acceptable with a Driver that couldn't be tolerated with an iron?

I am no pro golfer or single digit hdcp player just yet. I believe I close the getting to single digits, honestly I could probably play without a driver and score just as good if not better, but that's not in the cards just yet.  I did play a par 62 the other day and shot 73. Left the driver in the car literally.

You're probably right on the re-fit of the driver but I'd like to figure this descending blow issue first.  

Sub 70 699 Pro 4-AW 

Sub 70 3 utility 19*

OG White Hot #1 putter

13 hours ago, Matsubaum said:

Samsonite is correct, keep the driver, spend some money on some basic lessons.

Your club speed is plenty to see a 250 to 270 carry with 290 yard drives.

Your path is ok at 0.09 in to out, the glaring issue I see is the negative 5.7 angle of attack (aoa) but with out seeing the swing in person or on video it is impossible to know if that is due to swing, ball position, tee height or a combination of those.  With that club head speed you probably want to have a positive 8 to 12 degrees aoa.  That would decrease your spin and probably give you 25 to 30 more yards.

Start with some basic lessons, make sure your fundamentals of grip, stance, posture and ball position are correct. Then go from there, you will see improvements.

This ^ !!  Get a lesson and make sure your fundamental setup is good and the take away gets you in a position for good contact.

Modern Bag:  :ping-small: G410 LST 10.5*, Hzrdus Smoke RDX 6.5 Flex;   :titelist-small:  915F 3w, Diamana S+ 70 S flex;  Snake Eyes 18* 2h, 23* 4h & 27* 5h; :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged 6 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  Edison 2.0 49*, 53*, 57* KBS Tour 120 S;   :ping-small:  Heppler Fetch;  Ball - :Snell: MTB-X; Bag - Jones MyGolfSpy Edition! 

Shot Scope H4, MG600 Rangefinder

Classic Bag:  Driver - :wilson_staff_small: Persimmon; 3w - :Hogan: Speed Slot; 5w - :wilson_staff_small: Tour Block; 3 - pw - :wilson_staff_small: Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.

8 hours ago, JFish350 said:

I am not trying to hit up on the ball. I am trying to figure how hit the ball on the up swing and not on the down swing.   if that makes sense. 

Either thought isn’t what you should be focused on. Having a good swing will cause that to happen automatically.

Those who try to hit up on the swing or hit up on the ball or whatever terminology one selects has the tendency to cause incorrect movement patterns in the swing. Especially in the transition downswing as compensation for being out of position in the backswing.

Getting a good pivot, with proper wrist set will go along way in achieving wjat you are looking for. Having this will help shallow the club and promote the natural into out swing path which will automatically create a nuetral to positive aoa. 

Until you post a video of your swing we can’t tell you what’s going on or where the problem starts to occur in your swing and what to look at to help fix it.

32 minutes ago, Shapotomous said:

This ^ !!  Get a lesson and make sure your fundamental setup is good and the take away gets you in a position for good contact.

In reality this is what he should do, but since he’s looking for help here we are trying to guid him but can’t do much without video other than correct thought process on the swing and numbers 

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

9 hours ago, JFish350 said:

I am no pro golfer or single digit hdcp player just yet. I believe I close the getting to single digits, honestly I could probably play without a driver and score just as good if not better, but that's not in the cards just yet.  I did play a par 62 the other day and shot 73. Left the driver in the car literally.

You're probably right on the re-fit of the driver but I'd like to figure this descending blow issue first.  

Read the four foundations by Jon Sherman or Every Shot Counts by Mark Broadie. Never give up on your driver 🙂  I’ve been there but after a few months of playing a DI, I went back to the driver quickly. Should have gotten lessons sooner. 

Follow my journey to enjoying golf and going low

Driver: :callaway-small:   Epic Max LS :Fuji:Ventus Black 6x 44.5" 

3wHL: :callaway-small: Rogue ST LS 75x  Tensei AV Blue w/ xlink

7w: :callaway-small:Apex UW 21* MMT 80S

DI: Caley 01X 18* with KBS PGH Stiff plus 95g

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long, Soft stepped, MOI matched

Wedges     :cleveland-small: Zipcore 

Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 69*/35" in blue 

Ball:  TBD

Shot Tracking: :ShotScope:

Bag: Vessel VLX 2.0

Grip: Lamkin Sonar +  Midsize 

My Reviews:

Caley 01X Driving Iron Review 2023

Max Swing Speed Training and Speed Progress: Current Speed 120 in the MGS Speed Challenge (updated 3/15/23)

:1332069271_TommyArmour:TAIII #2  Review here: TAIII Impact #2 Putter )

:cleveland-small: Zipcore Tour Rack 54/full and 58/mid (review here)

th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  2019 Unofficial Review

@JFish350 is 108 the top end of your driver swing? Figure out how fast you can swing and hit the center of the face, and then ramp the swing speed back up. As stated numerous times already, lessons with an instructor that speaks your swing language will be worth more than anecdotal advice or new equipment. If you’ve plateaued(your handicap isn’t going down anymore) swing lessons are the easiest way to break thru. I’m a firm believer in the possibility of getting yourself down to the 10-12 range thru course management, short game practice, shelving the driver, etc. But to be a low single digit golfer the driver has to be a weapon/asset, not a liability. Your speed should see you carrying the ball at least 255 at sea level, the right launch characteristics(how you deliver the club) should get you to 270 carry.

Driver - Cobra LtDxLS

3 Wood - Ping g410 LST

2iron - Titleist U505

Irons - Ping i59

Wedges - Vokey Sm9

Putter - Mizuno Mcraft IV

19 hours ago, JFish350 said:

Only using the foot spray to determine ball contact on the club face. When I start having issues like I am it's the first thing I look at is connection. In this case I haven't since I keep forgetting. 

I have been looking at Clay Ballard video's but haven't followed through on the lessons. This last round and figuring out AOA I have been working on hitting up on the ball. 

Thanks for the info everything helps and a work in progress to see what works for me. 

Just so you know, I was NOT telling you or anyone else not to use foot spray. I was just letting you know that using the spray will change your spin numbers, and that you would be smart to take this into account before you decide if your spin number are where they should be. Truth is I use Impact Wax EVERY time i hit balls at the range with my driver or fairway woods. My point is that your should NOT use it if you are hitting balls on a launch monitor and looking to get the best spin rate for your game. Or if you DO use it, take into account the difference in spin it will give you. 

All my clubs are custom built with aftermarket shafts that have been spine and FLO aligned for max performance every swing. 

1 hour ago, Micah T said:

@JFish350 is 108 the top end of your driver swing? Figure out how fast you can swing and hit the center of the face, and then ramp the swing speed back up. As stated numerous times already, lessons with an instructor that speaks your swing language will be worth more than anecdotal advice or new equipment. If you’ve plateaued(your handicap isn’t going down anymore) swing lessons are the easiest way to break thru. I’m a firm believer in the possibility of getting yourself down to the 10-12 range thru course management, short game practice, shelving the driver, etc. But to be a low single digit golfer the driver has to be a weapon/asset, not a liability. Your speed should see you carrying the ball at least 255 at sea level, the right launch characteristics(how you deliver the club) should get you to 270 carry.

No 108 is not top speed, that is an avg speed for those shots which was 12-15 swings. My top swing speed when that's all I try for is 122 MPH. 105-110 is a cruising speed and comfortable for me depending on how tight or sore my back, legs and body feel.  

yes looking into instructors, I am pretty Leary since my last couple guys have me gun shy and I am being extremely picky about where those dollars are going to be spent. 

I agree the driver should be a weapon and it is, I just need to learn how to use it correctly again. 

Sub 70 699 Pro 4-AW 

Sub 70 3 utility 19*

OG White Hot #1 putter

1 hour ago, IONEPUTT said:

Just so you know, I was NOT telling you or anyone else not to use foot spray. I was just letting you know that using the spray will change your spin numbers, and that you would be smart to take this into account before you decide if your spin number are where they should be. Truth is I use Impact Wax EVERY time i hit balls at the range with my driver or fairway woods. My point is that your should NOT use it if you are hitting balls on a launch monitor and looking to get the best spin rate for your game. Or if you DO use it, take into account the difference in spin it will give you. 

Totally agree, we are on the same page. 

Sub 70 699 Pro 4-AW 

Sub 70 3 utility 19*

OG White Hot #1 putter

OK I think I finally figured out how to edit the video. I have 2 videos hopefully loading up. 

Sorry for the delay, I am one of those people that don't understand how the flashlight automatically turns on my ph when I don't want it to. 

Sub 70 699 Pro 4-AW 

Sub 70 3 utility 19*

OG White Hot #1 putter

Sweet, looks like the videos aren’t playing. 

I’ll have to look and see what’s up after work tonight. 

Sub 70 699 Pro 4-AW 

Sub 70 3 utility 19*

OG White Hot #1 putter

1 minute ago, JFish350 said:

i could see them if i downloaded them.

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long, Soft stepped, MOI matched

My Reviews:

Max Swing Speed Training and Speed Progress: Current Speed 120 in the MGS Speed Challenge (updated 3/15/23)

9 minutes ago, JFish350 said:

I did this when I first tried to upload a video, and it was a NIGHTMARE for people to see, because they actually have to download it.  

I'd highly recommend uploading the files to YouTube first (presumably you have access to YouTube directly from your phone (the app is very intuitive), and you can upload the videos directly there.  Once you've done that, you can paste the links to those two videos in your "here's my swing" response above, and they will embed automatically, and then all people have to do is click play and they can watch it right there.

I know it's a few extra steps, but the ease of use for everyone else watching will be huge.  I can try to walk you through with screen-grabs if you're unsure how to do it.  Or if your phone flashlight is on again 😉

Driver - PXG 0811 XF - Gen 5, 9 degrees (+1 setting), Oban Devotion TR 65 04
3/5 Wood - Cobra LTDx Max (Blue Colorway)
Utility - Caley X01 Driving Iron (3 = 18*)
Irons (5-PW) - Caley 01T
Wedges (48, 52, 56, 60) - Indi Wedges FLX 48 / ATK 52, 56, 60
Putter - L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 - 65*
Ball - Chrome Tour Triple-Track

Up Load issue

Sub 70 699 Pro 4-AW 

Sub 70 3 utility 19*

OG White Hot #1 putter

14 minutes ago, JFish350 said:

Up Load issue

I hust watched the two videos with no problems at all. I just clicked on the link the videos downloaded to my pc and I could watch them just fine. 

The first thing I noticed with your videos is that at the end of your swing, you are pulling the club back. you are NOT letting the club come all the way around. YOU are stopping the club from hitting the back of your shoulders at the finish. This is NOT a good move. I'd recomment that you watch a video of Rory McElroy and watch how the shaft of this driver hit's him in the back of his shoulder at the end of his swing. This is what you want to happen. In all honestly, sometimes I do something similar to what you are doing, and I cause the club to stop before it hits my back. And when I think about it, and tell myself to let the club head continue around my body until the shaft hits my back. what I notice is that i get about 20-30 more yards of carry. I would recommend that you hit a few balls the way you are now, chedk your distance, and then hit a few more and make sure you allow the club head to come all the way around and the shaft hitting your shoulder is what stops the clubhead. The way you are hitting your driver, YOU are causing the clubhead to stop and unknow to you, YOU are causing the driver to slow down early, and you are NOT getting everything out of your swing. I'm sure YOU do not feel it but that is what you are doing when you stop the club before it hits you in your back. Give this a try and I'd be surprised if you don't gain at least 20 yards with your driver with the same effort. Let me know if this helps you as much as it does me. 

All my clubs are custom built with aftermarket shafts that have been spine and FLO aligned for max performance every swing. 

I found this video of Rory and it shows how the shaft of his driver come right up to the back of his neck when he's done. thy that. I;ll see if I can find the video on how to hit up on the ball and get back to you.

Don. 

Okay I found the Clay Ballard video I was looking for on "How to Hit Up with the driver.  I think if you watch this video and give it a try you will find that it works great and will help you gain a lot of carry with your driver. Again let me know if it help or not. 

OK I think I finally figured out how to edit the video. I have 2 videos hopefully loading up. 

Sorry for the delay, I am one of those people that don't understand how the flashlight automatically turns on my ph when I don't want it to. 

I will post screen caps and what the issues are in about an hour when I get home. But somethings that stand out right away. Your balance points are way off, your shoulders are open at address and you roll the club open at takeaway. Everything after that is just a result of the first part of the swing and compensations in the transition, downswing and impact.

8 minutes ago, IONEPUTT said:

I found this video of Rory and it shows how the shaft of his driver come right up to the back of his neck when he's done. thy that. I;ll see if I can find the video on how to hit up on the ball and get back to you.

Don. 

Worry about what the finish of a swing looks like when the start of the swing is bad is fixing a symptom and not a cause 

35 minutes ago, IONEPUTT said:

I hust watched the two videos with no problems at all. I just clicked on the link the videos downloaded to my pc and I could watch them just fine. 

The first thing I noticed with your videos is that at the end of your swing, you are pulling the club back. you are NOT letting the club come all the way around. YOU are stopping the club from hitting the back of your shoulders at the finish. This is NOT a good move. I'd recomment that you watch a video of Rory McElroy and watch how the shaft of this driver hit's him in the back of his shoulder at the end of his swing. This is what you want to happen. In all honestly, sometimes I do something similar to what you are doing, and I cause the club to stop before it hits my back. And when I think about it, and tell myself to let the club head continue around my body until the shaft hits my back. what I notice is that i get about 20-30 more yards of carry. I would recommend that you hit a few balls the way you are now, chedk your distance, and then hit a few more and make sure you allow the club head to come all the way around and the shaft hitting your shoulder is what stops the clubhead. The way you are hitting your driver, YOU are causing the clubhead to stop and unknow to you, YOU are causing the driver to slow down early, and you are NOT getting everything out of your swing. I'm sure YOU do not feel it but that is what you are doing when you stop the club before it hits you in your back. Give this a try and I'd be surprised if you don't gain at least 20 yards with your driver with the same effort. Let me know if this helps you as much as it does me. 

I’ll give it a whirl, but I’ve had 2 massive right shoulder surgeries and one on the left.  I’ll see how far I can continue the swing.

Sub 70 699 Pro 4-AW 

Sub 70 3 utility 19*

OG White Hot #1 putter

10 shots after warm up. All went left with varying height and 2 big hooks. 

A1E6EBF1-F1A3-49EB-9370-1E0B6303D253.jpeg

Sub 70 699 Pro 4-AW 

Sub 70 3 utility 19*

OG White Hot #1 putter

Out to in swing path with a toe miss will lead to snap hooks

My Reviews:

Your average ball contact is about an inch toward the toe.

DO NOT CHANGE YOUR SWING.

Instead change your ball position, by that I mean try standing an inch closer to the ball at setup, This should cause you to hit the ball more in the center of the face with NO swing change, just standing closer to the ball. Thy it and let me know if this helps or not. Works for me when I have an issue like you are having. 

14 minutes ago, Vegan_Golfer_PNW said:

Out to in swing path with a toe miss will lead to snap hooks

Yep, my nemesis. 

Sub 70 699 Pro 4-AW 

Sub 70 3 utility 19*

OG White Hot #1 putter

Just now, JFish350 said:

Yep, my nemesis. 

my miss was Out to in with a heel that lead to wipe fades. Now my miss it more on the toe with a more neutral path. Now that you can take video, seriously try video lessons

My Reviews:

25 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

I will post screen caps and what the issues are in about an hour when I get home. But somethings that stand out right away. Your balance points are way off, your shoulders are open at address and you roll the club open at takeaway. Everything after that is just a result of the first part of the swing and compensations in the transition, downswing and impact.

Worry about what the finish of a swing looks like when the start of the swing is bad is fixing a symptom and not a cause 

Yes sir I saw my shoulders were open as well. I did not see the roll of the club I tend to watch my body first. 

Sub 70 699 Pro 4-AW 

Sub 70 3 utility 19*

OG White Hot #1 putter

1 hour ago, Vegan_Golfer_PNW said:

i could see them if i downloaded them.

I can see them downloaded.  Well I see the issue.  Like Randy, you are just a little fella - no wonder your having such a hard time getting carry distance 😆. I think your swing and ball flight looks pretty good. I certainly wouldn't entertain anything drastic but just work towards a little flatter swing and moving the AOA towards 0 or slightly positive... which is a big shift from your baseline.  Getting there incrementally is probably better in the long haul.

My driver fitting showed me at -0.4 and I've been working on flattening the swing path and hitting up.  For me, reminding myself to raise my left shoulder (dropping the right) has help as has concentrating on slowing my backswing and transition.  Unfortunately, I have no new data for comparison but my brain thinks I'm doing better and that's at least half the battle.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Official Review)