Princeville Makai or Ocean Course at Hokuala

Syks7

Headed to Kauai in October for our fifth anniversary and I've negotiated one round with maybe one more (probably Wailua for budgetary reasons).  In terms of the premium golf courses  I've narrowed it down to either Princeville Makai or Hokuala. 

I'm leaning Hokuala simply because it's right beside the resort we're at.  Princeville is a drive and I'm sure my wife will want to go to the area (which negates the early tee time I want).  That said I've also heard from people that it's one of the most amazing courses they've every played.  

Anyone have any recommendations as to which to choose? 

Driver

311062546_PXG_LogoSmall.jpg.1ff58b767d1fb1cdfeac9a387718766e.jpg  0311 Gen 5 -- Tensei CK Orange 60

Woods

PXG_Logo Small.jpg 0341 3W -- Tensei AV Raw Blue

Hybrids

image.png.374545efa45a29aed00287677e783604.png  0317X 2&4 -- Tensei AV Raw Blue 

Irons 

:srixon-small: ZX7 4/AW -- C-Taper Lite 110

Wedges

:mizuno-small:  T7 55º @55/7  -- TT DG Spinner

Putter

Test.png DF2.1 or Link.1 -- Accra

Ball

:srixon-small:  Zstar Diamond

Makai!

Driver: :cobra-small: Speed Zone 9* HZRDUS Smoke Yellow Shaft

3 Wood: :cobra-small: King Speedzone 13.5* HZRDUS Smoke Black Shaft

2 & 3 Hybrids: :cobra-small: Speedzone Recoil 480 ESX Shaft

Irons: :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-GW Recoil 460 ESX Shafts

Wedges::callaway-logo-1: PM Grind 54* & 58*

Putter: :odyssey-small: Dual Force Rossi II

Ball: Whatever I find in the woods

:Arccos:

HCP:18

Sorry, Princeville. When I played them both a dozen years ago and it was a Princeville and Kauai Lagoons (name has changed) on my quest to play the top 100 public Princeville was higher ranked and to me the standout course. Now, with that name change came a remodel and new greens - so it could be better.  But both Top100Golf and Golfweek’s raters have Princeville ranked higher. 

That said, it is a drive, and it will be longer/slower than you anticipate because you will only go as fast as the slowest driver in the bottlenecks…. and you are probably the only person anxious to get where you are going. 

There is no bad golf in Hawaii.  Oh there is better golf.  But your in Hawaii…. We go to the Big Island and I always play Hiltons King and Beach courses. Nothing special but I can walk to the course and I’m IN Hawaii…

Here is a list of GolfWeeks top public courses.  

2799D924-31FD-4DDD-B36C-B5BE044A1B01.jpeg.c5abcc80e25eff864b52ed7a79751e8e.jpeg

You have other options as well. Last thought - why not spend one night on that side of the island?  Not sure how long your going to be there (or your finances) but when we have been to different islands I often find one unique get a way for just one night - like a beach front cottage or a tree house. Can only afford to do it for one night but something special for my wife.  Just happens to be near a golf course….

Good luck

Walking ahead of my BagBoy QuadXL w Alphard eWheels
Driver: Callaway Mavrik SubZero 9* Neutral w stock Evenflow Riptide R flex shaft
3W  Titelist TS2 15* Draw w Tensei Blue R flex
3H, 4H Cobra One Length F9 Speedback hybrids (1”short) w Fujikura Atmos R flex shaft
5I-GW Cobra Forged TEC Black One Length (1”short, 2* flat) KBS 90 R flex shafts
56, 60 Cobra King MIM One Length Black (1” short) KBS HiRev2.0 125 S flex shafts
ER7  or Scotty Futura X - 35”

OnCore Elixr (lemon or lime)

Princeville will be a drive to get to depending on the time off day. The Ocean course has the most ocean views in Hawaii if I remember right. Princeville also has nice views. I think Princeville is the nicer course but not by a lot. Don’t skip Wailua it is a really a nice course with some great holes. 

D- Tour Edge EXS 220

4W- Sub 70 949X

Hybrid- Sub 70 949X

Utility- Sub 70 699 U  21 degree

Irons- Sub 70 749 5-PW

Wedges- Sub 70 286 50+54, Tour Edge 1 out 58 degree 

Putter- Cleveland Huntington Beach soft # 11

Ball- Titleist Tour Soft

4 hours ago, LICC said:

Makai, easily. Hokuala is very good but Makai is stunning. And they aren't that far apart.

Wailua is overrated.

On 8/28/2022 at 3:12 PM, Bossfan said:

Princeville will be a drive to get to depending on the time off day. The Ocean course has the most ocean views in Hawaii if I remember right. Princeville also has nice views. I think Princeville is the nicer course but not by a lot. Don’t skip Wailua it is a really a nice course with some great holes. 

On 8/28/2022 at 5:44 AM, WaffleHouseTour said:

Sorry, Princeville. When I played them both a dozen years ago and it was a Princeville and Kauai Lagoons (name has changed) on my quest to play the top 100 public Princeville was higher ranked and to me the standout course. Now, with that name change came a remodel and new greens - so it could be better.  But both Top100Golf and Golfweek’s raters have Princeville ranked higher. 

That said, it is a drive, and it will be longer/slower than you anticipate because you will only go as fast as the slowest driver in the bottlenecks…. and you are probably the only person anxious to get where you are going. 

There is no bad golf in Hawaii.  Oh there is better golf.  But your in Hawaii…. We go to the Big Island and I always play Hiltons King and Beach courses. Nothing special but I can walk to the course and I’m IN Hawaii…

Here is a list of GolfWeeks top public courses.  

2799D924-31FD-4DDD-B36C-B5BE044A1B01.jpeg.c5abcc80e25eff864b52ed7a79751e8e.jpeg

You have other options as well. Last thought - why not spend one night on that side of the island?  Not sure how long your going to be there (or your finances) but when we have been to different islands I often find one unique get a way for just one night - like a beach front cottage or a tree house. Can only afford to do it for one night but something special for my wife.  Just happens to be near a golf course….

Good luck

On 8/28/2022 at 5:10 AM, Headhammer said:

Makai!

Very much appreciate fellas.  I have a tee time booked at Makai now and am deep in the thought process of how I disappear for half a day on the misses and our toddler daughter.  

Driver

311062546_PXG_LogoSmall.jpg.1ff58b767d1fb1cdfeac9a387718766e.jpg  0311 Gen 5 -- Tensei CK Orange 60

Woods

PXG_Logo Small.jpg 0341 3W -- Tensei AV Raw Blue

Hybrids

image.png.374545efa45a29aed00287677e783604.png  0317X 2&4 -- Tensei AV Raw Blue 

Irons 

:srixon-small: ZX7 4/AW -- C-Taper Lite 110

Wedges

:mizuno-small:  T7 55º @55/7  -- TT DG Spinner

Putter

Test.png DF2.1 or Link.1 -- Accra

Ball

:srixon-small:  Zstar Diamond

We just got back from Kauai a couple of weeks ago.  My ranking would be Princeville ( it was too far to drive so I did not play this time but I have played it 3 times),  Poipu Bay , and then Ocean Course.  The Ocean Course has gone down hill in my estimation, it needs some work to get back to being worth the money.  I used my Troon Card with points and cash and only paid $100 to play the Ocean Course.  Poipu Bay is a great course with great views. 

Srixon Irons

Cobra Driver

Volkey Wedges

Evenroll putter 

3 hole in ones so far ( Ohio, Hawaii, Australia )

777F8105-930D-4675-995A-BCBA46461DA7.jpeg.971a4d2834d3bbd69cc0ff6242baaf6d.jpegA4251E12-90FF-4D17-AD43-C503E7810B29.jpeg.a265bc0fcdd56f1c3949afa737cb40c8.jpegMy best friend used to live across from Makai so we played it often. Spectacular course but from Lihue it is a good 45 minute drive if nothing slows you down. Check out #14 on the list. We used to call it to the “Prison Course” because there  is a minimum security prison across from it. Good course with some nice views and I’m guessing still much cheaper than Makai. If money isn’t an issue go to Makai!

PXG clubs and Ping putter