Testers Wanted! T Squared Putters ×
2024 PGA Contest by MyClubFitter and My Golf Spy ×

It’s the Head not the shaft?

Bang60

So in my struggle to find more distance I tried Taylormade R7 R15 SLDR Sim, Titleist 913 917 TS2, Ping ERC Fusion, G, Callaway Epic, C4, and a couple I don’t remember and none of them worked, I also tried Regular Firm Stiff Extra Stiff flex and none of them worked and no I didn’t try lady flex… I used all those brand heads on all those shafts about 40 driver setups, nothing worked until I bought the Mizuno mp type 2 head from Japan and Bingo another 30metres. So the shaft that didn’t work with Taylormade Titleist Callaway Ping is Hzrdus Smoke reg flex 60gram 4.0 torque, so I think my Testing was quite extensive and fair to say maybe you need to look at different heads rather than shafts. Finally swingweight is D3 and 46 inches long, any questions?

EB430553-8CAE-4B55-BB54-10A3D04C237B.jpeg

8593BA4E-910B-4BF8-91BA-E0A0BC5C360B.jpeg

I’m a hacker who loves nothing more than to change how I play, be that grips shafts and heads its all fair game lol…

Sounds like fun, sounds expensive. How did you test all of those combos? Trackman? Outside? Inside?

Wouldn’t it have been cheaper and less time cheaper and less time consuming to go to a place like Club Champion or are you a DIY kind of guy?

Ive found that shaft weight makes a bigger difference than flex. 

How is your dispersion at 46”? We’re you just going for longest possible set up? 

Enjoy 

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

In all of that purchasing of various heads & shafts, did you consider paying for a lesson?

In my Big Max hybrid bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:wilson_staff_small: D7 6i-GW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact

I found that spending $150 at a great fitter is much cheaper and a better experience then buying even one iron or wedge, let alone a driver. Head or shaft? Chicken or egg.? When I did my fitting at Club Champion in 2021, they started with different heads. Ultimately I ended up with SIM 2 Max D. and a mid spin, high launch shaft. I didn't end up buying through them ($900) but waited a year and bought it as last year's model with the same shaft profile at $330. (I'm retired 😉). 

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

13 hours ago, Bang60 said:

Finally swingweight is D3 and 46 inches long, any questions?

What is your swing speed? What distance were you averaging before? What distance are you averaging now? Are you close to optimum distance for your Swing speed? 

:mizuno-small: STZ 230 9.5* ➖ PinHawk SLF 16* ➖ :mizuno-small: STZ 230 Hybrid 21.25* ➖ MALTBY TS1-IM 5-GW ➖ :benhogan-small: Equalizer II 54* ➖ :ping-small: Glide 4.0 (S) 58* ➖ L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 
Maxfli Tour X Official Review -- https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63068-testers-announced-maxfli-tour-x-golf-balls-with-max-align-technology/?do=findComment&comment=1021832

11 hours ago, revkev said:

Sounds like fun, sounds expensive. How did you test all of those combos? Trackman? Outside? Inside?

Wouldn’t it have been cheaper and less time cheaper and less time consuming to go to a place like Club Champion or are you a DIY kind of guy?

Ive found that shaft weight makes a bigger difference than flex. 

How is your dispersion at 46”? We’re you just going for longest possible set up? 

Enjoy 

I’m a DIY guy because in New Zealand there’s no such thing as a Champion or the like here, one place purports to be one but when I visited there asking for a new shaft fitting the solution was increase the loft from std loft….

big help yeah…

I’m a hacker who loves nothing more than to change how I play, be that grips shafts and heads its all fair game lol…

9 hours ago, russtopherb said:

In all of that purchasing of various heads & shafts, did you consider paying for a lesson?

Yes and yes I did, I’m about 75% recovering from month in a coma and losing 30kgs. I’m probably still a year away from having a regular swing that I can then look at more lessons, I’d say less than 50% of the swings I make are reasonable and today I hit only One good shot out of 58 for 9 holes.

8 hours ago, tony@CIC said:

I found that spending $150 at a great fitter is much cheaper and a better experience then buying even one iron or wedge, let alone a driver. Head or shaft? Chicken or egg.? When I did my fitting at Club Champion in 2021, they started with different heads. Ultimately I ended up with SIM 2 Max D. and a mid spin, high launch shaft. I didn't end up buying through them ($900) but waited a year and bought it as last year's model with the same shaft profile at $330. (I'm retired 😉). 

I’d be very happy spending $150 or $550 to get a result, ahhh I’ve remembered 2 more shafts 1, Graphite Design Stiff an Reg, 2 White Tie Senior flex. 3 Harrison long drive + I think there’s another I can’t remember, I bought mostly used so about $2k but plz don’t tell her indoors ok?

8 hours ago, vandyland said:

What is your swing speed? What distance were you averaging before? What distance are you averaging now? Are you close to optimum distance for your Swing speed? 

Club head speed average 95mph last Monday with a top of 117 and the highest a month ago was 112 when I swing with all I got. It’s the speed training I do with my version of Dr Kwon rope swing, I couldn’t get over 200metres and I was 1 step fwd and 2 steps back whereas now I’m moving fwd and keeping most of the gains. Average distance is largely a guess because I’ve not been at my longer distance to really know the answer yet. Optimum distance I think is close to what I’ve got now 230 metres, but I want to see if that will be the best I can do but depends on how my body holds up. I’ve recently had 5ish weeks off because my body said stop, my knees tummy etc refused to carry on and I think I did a stretch that made my back sore lol 😂 

I will definitely continue…..

One thing that I’ve learned from being an active member of this forum for a long time is that people play golf for a wide variety of reasons. If this process was fun for you and us helping you recover from your health issues and you have the funds, I say good for you!

Heres to good health and good luck with your new driver. 

Ps I think the head, shaft, grip are all important and it may have been possible that a tweak to the loft of your original set up coukd have been all that was needed. But then you’d have missed out on your testing fun. 

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD