Sorting through Swing Thoughts / Accountability thread

Current swing, happy with it so not looking for feedback or to change anything. Ball flight is a light draw at the moment.

Hit about 70 balls at 80% working on not spinning out early. Chipped and pitched for 20 minutes after that. 

:mizuno-small: STZ 230 9.5* ➖ PinHawk SLF 16* ➖ :mizuno-small: STZ 230 Hybrid 21.25* ➖ MALTBY TS1-IM 5-GW ➖ :benhogan-small: Equalizer II 54* ➖ :ping-small: Glide 4.0 (S) 58* ➖ L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 
Maxfli Tour X Official Review -- https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63068-testers-announced-maxfli-tour-x-golf-balls-with-max-align-technology/?do=findComment&comment=1021832

5 minutes ago, vandyland said:

Current swing, happy with it 

I’d be happy with it.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :touredgeexotics: XCG7 Beta 15*  w/Fujikura Fuel
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Been hitting balls multiple times this week and feel like my shortgame is in a really good place. Chipping and pitching has felt automatic so I am less consumed with technical thoughts and able to just focus on the shot. As for the full swing, that still has more than a few technical thoughts (as always) associated with it. Not raising up in the backswing is a big one but also keeping my hips quiet and back in the downswing. The scottie scheffler slide drill ingrains that fairly well but I don't really want that creeping into my swing. Still can get a little spinny from the top so working on tempering that, as always. Probably won't get to play much the next few weeks as we have a newborn (priorities, I know) but might get out towards the end of paternity leave. 

:mizuno-small: STZ 230 9.5* ➖ PinHawk SLF 16* ➖ :mizuno-small: STZ 230 Hybrid 21.25* ➖ MALTBY TS1-IM 5-GW ➖ :benhogan-small: Equalizer II 54* ➖ :ping-small: Glide 4.0 (S) 58* ➖ L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 
Maxfli Tour X Official Review -- https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63068-testers-announced-maxfli-tour-x-golf-balls-with-max-align-technology/?do=findComment&comment=1021832

Played twice this week and shot 73/76 which is good for me at that golf course. Irons have been great, wedges decent, putting decent and driving has been a tad erratic. Currently seeing a two way miss which is manageable but could portend trouble down the road. Also have been able to have a few range and short game sessions this week. Probably hit 70-100 30 yd pitches from different spots and about 30 bunker shots. Also played the up/down game trying to get up/down from various places around the practice green. On the range, working mostly on 75% mid irons trying to keep my hips from getting out ahead and resisting the urge to stand up in the back swing. So far so good. Short game has come a long way in the last few months. It is a great relief to not be worried about my technique on short shots and just be able to feel the shot.

Played golf for a 3rd time this week and I think I could get pretty good if I played 3x a week! This is an aberration for me to play this much but my differentials were very good this week.
IMG_9543.png.c97d81541b958bcc10324f3cfd63b0d6.png 

Just no real errors out there. A few bogeys here and there but no real wasted shots. 

• 2 weeks later...

Played again today and hit balls over the weekend. Identified a small issue in my takeaway where I wasn't getting the club quite square half way back (it was slightly open) so we worked on that today with minimal other changes. Made 5 birdies today and shot even par 72 at a fairly difficult course so feeling very good about that. The driver was a little questionable in a few spots but overall we got around really well. 

Posted (edited)

Our range is getting worked on so only 100 yd shots and under and we are on mats. Not ideal but still wanted to see a few swings on camera, current wedge swing looks like this:

and then from a few days ago before range was shortened, I noted my head is starting to bob a little bit but, overall, it is a soft draw and the clubface looks good at the top and half way back. 

Edited by vandyland

Posted (edited)

Played 18 holes yesterday in VERY wet conditions. I felt like I was struggling a little with my driver and determined I was just trying to muscle it too much and not letting it drop into the slot. Hit the ball ok with driver but some were coming out a little low on the face which is usually from me coming a little bit over the top. Made 4 birdies and shot 75 at a challenging track but was a bit sloppy on the par 5s and played them +2 on the day. 

Went back to the range this morning to work on dropping the club a bit in the transition (that is the feel, it doesn't really LOOK like that at full speed) and was hitting push draws again which is a good sign for me. Position at the top looks GREAT (for me, for what I am trying to do) but that is also with a 54* wedge. Flat left wrist, arms in line with shoulder plane, some hip "depth" and maintained most of my spine angle from setup. 
IMG_9692.png.391e1177c3e3ee071d0dfa7639687134.png

Edited by vandyland

Well, at long last, I am starting to develop some forearm/bicep pain. I would imagine it is due to mats and hitting a lot of balls and such. It doesn't bother me when I play but usually after or when I am picking up my daughter or son I feel it in the crook of my arm. This has led me to buy some prosoft inserts for my steel shafts (which are a bit harsher than my KBS Tour 120s) but this may not bring much or any relief but I am trying that BEFORE I dive into graphite shafts for my irons since that is going to be a very expensive endeavor. It isn't that painful but I imagine it is going to slowly get worse if I don't do anything about it. Assuming the inserts don't work, I will go for a shaft fitting and hopefully I can at least try out some of the following:

MMT 105 / Steelfiber 110 / Recoil Dart 105 -- those seem to be the main heavy graphite options that don't cost $70+ dollars/shaft. 

I got on trackman today and hit Steelfiber 110cw stiff (it is the only heavy graphite option we have at our club) and was impressed with the dispersion. It wasn't a 1:1 test as I have a Maltby iron set so I used a JPX 923Tour 34* 7 iron head (in the SF110cw) vs my TS1-IM 32* 7 iron head (FST 125 Stiff). It was not a great swing day for me overall so that is probably a good test of the shaft's deflection and feel. Did not "throw out" any shots:

image.png.1332a9cc44244c9c11072b91b107d016.png

Some of the dispersion help is down to the Mizuno head being  2* weaker, I would imagine, but I was impressed. The weight was good and feedback was still pretty good. The one thing I felt like I was struggling with was closing the face in the Steelfiber but that could be any number of things. I was hitting slight fades more often than not with the steelfibers and slight draws with teh FST 125. My club path / face to path with the Steelfibers was 3.2 / 1.0 vs 4.4 / -0.4 with the FST. Not sure what that tells me except maybe I can be a tad inconsistent. I will say the Steelfiber felt firmer to me. Here are all the comparative numbers if anyone cares:

image.png.069bb5cfb6d28cab3474164440d8c644.png

I still really want to try the MMT 105 and the Recoil Dart 105 if possible. I *think* the steelfiber 110 is a little stiff for me but maybe that is what was helping with dispersion. Who can say?