Pre-shot routine??

First time posting so hopefully I’m doing this correct, 

I want to build a proper pre-shot routine into my game, so looking for some pointers or starting points.  Mainly focussing around putting I guess. 

For driving and irons, the odd practice swing here or their bit I’m not consistent with this. 

Anyways help me!!! 

Driver -  Callaway Rouge 9.0°

3 wood - Callaway Rouge 13°

Hybrid - Callaway Apex 20°

Irons -  Callaway Apex 4-PW 

Wedges - Callaway Jaws 52°, 56°, 60° 

Putter - Odyssey Stroke Lab Triple Track Double Wide Putter

20 minutes ago, Captainspoint said:

First time posting so hopefully I’m doing this correct, 

I want to build a proper pre-shot routine into my game, so looking for some pointers or starting points.  Mainly focussing around putting I guess. 

For driving and irons, the odd practice swing here or their bit I’m not consistent with this. 

Anyways help me!!! 

Every shot should have a routine that you do consistently.    Since you want to focus on putting,  here is one:  https://golf.com/instruction/putting/brad-faxon-5-step-putting-routine/

Key:  don't take to long over the ball! 

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :touredgeexotics: XCG7 Beta 15*  w/Fujikura Fuel
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

31 minutes ago, cnosil said:

Every shot should have a routine that you do consistently.    Since you want to focus on putting,  here is one:  https://golf.com/instruction/putting/brad-faxon-5-step-putting-routine/

Key:  don't take to long over the ball! 

Can a routine be that you have no routine? I normally do that pretty consistently.

I am bad because I rely on feels and that can lead to some differences in my routines. It was the same way when I was a more competitive athlete and had a lot of success and it translated over. Putting however it is pretty simple. I check the line and imagine what I want the ball to do. Set the putter up behind the ball. Line my feet up comfortably. Take one last look at the hole, set my hands and go. I dont take too long because if I have read it right all I need to think about is speed. The rest should take care of itself. 

Also I find when reading a green if I continue to look at it over and over I often over read the green and then miss because I saw something that wasnt there. 

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

1. Drink

2. Talk s***

3. Make excuses

4. Try to hit ball

Driver: Titleist TS2 stiff

Hybrid: 28 degree PXG 0211 stiff

Irons: 4-AW Ben Hogan CB regular graphite

Wedges: 52, 56, 60 degree Ben Hogan equalizer wedges 

Putter: Cleveland HB Soft mallet

Grips: Winn Dri-Tac 2.0

I don't do practice swings at all (or very rarely, mostly when I have to wait for the previous group to get out of the way and want to keep myself warm). First I check the target line and try to pick an aiming point closer in front of the ball. Then I go and place my club behind the ball and use that aiming spot to check that I'm pointing it right.

After that just make sure I grip the club right (not enough shots per season to have it automated) and put myself on address position.

From there on I try to check that I feel "right" and then it's just swing thoughts.

Edit:

On putting I read the green and again pick an aiming spot closer to my ball (unless I'm inside three feet from hole, then I just look at the hole when I putt. Get on ball, have a couple of "feel" strokes while looking at the hole to estimate force. Club behind the ball aiming to that close spot again and when ready I look at that aiming spot when I putt. I know immediately if the ball started where I was aiming at (and having played floorball I'm somewhat used to look at the target when "shooting"). 

Edited by Garbox80

WITB: TaylorMade M2 driver (2017), Adams Tightlies 16deg fw, Wilson Staff 21deg hybrid, 4-PW Wilson FG Tour Forged V2 irons, Rommy Armour 52 and 60 deg, Wilson Staff 56deg, Seemore putter.

Starting the 2023 season with a 28.4 HCP. 

Stand behind the ball to line up shot, step in, 2 waggles, and go.  Putting, I pick my line, step in and go.

:Sub70:Driver : Sub70 839D

:Sub70:3 wood Sub 70 pro

:Sub70: Hybrid Sub 70 849 18*

:Sub70:Hybrid Sub 70 839 21*

:Sub70:Irons Sub 70 639 combo

:Sub70:Wedges Sub 70 659 approach 50*, 286 full face groove 54*

:seemore-small:Putter FGP

:titleist-small:Ball  Titleist AVX

Grips: Best Grips std leather

1 hour ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

Can a routine be that you have no routine? I normally do that pretty consistently.

I am bad because I rely on feels and that can lead to some differences in my routines. It was the same way when I was a more competitive athlete and had a lot of success and it translated over. Putting however it is pretty simple. I check the line and imagine what I want the ball to do. Set the putter up behind the ball. Line my feet up comfortably. Take one last look at the hole, set my hands and go. I dont take too long because if I have read it right all I need to think about is speed. The rest should take care of itself. 

Also I find when reading a green if I continue to look at it over and over I often over read the green and then miss because I saw something that wasnt there. 

I’m the same way with my game. For driver, irons, and wedges I’ll line up my path before I walk up and then when I walk up the only thing I really focus on is making sure my hands line up on the club how I want them. After that I just swing while thinking of my club path and it’s done really well for me. 

Putting is simple for me, too. I’ll line up my shot beforehand and then get in position over the ball and hit. I don’t take any practice swings, but I do have certain swing points along my swing path that I aim for to make sure I’m getting the correct distance.

I feel like as long as something is working for you then keep doing it, and if something doesn’t work then make small tweaks until you get yourself dialed in. Golf doesn’t have to be complicated 😂

:ping-small: G425 Max | :PXG: 3W, Hybrid, 4-PW | :taylormade-small: 52* 56* 60* | :ping-small: Sigma 2 Anser | :titleist-small: ProV1 yellow

Make golf fun, no matter your skill!

My real name is Nate if you prefer to use that!

Pic a target

picture the shot you want to hit

take a practice swing that create a feel for your selected shot

clear the mind

step up to ball and swing

doesn’t take long to do

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

When putting I like to stand over the ball for a quick second so my feet can feel for any elevation that my eyes may have missed. Then I crouch down about 3-5 ft away from ball to align with hole. A few second glance and pick a target to putt towards. No practice swings on my putts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks all, 

i guess the reason I want to work on a routine is just to build more consistency, an easy way for me to get comfortable behind the ball.

with the weather picking up, here’s hoping for full summer of golf 🙂 

Driver -  Callaway Rouge 9.0°

3 wood - Callaway Rouge 13°

Hybrid - Callaway Apex 20°

Irons -  Callaway Apex 4-PW 

Wedges - Callaway Jaws 52°, 56°, 60° 

Putter - Odyssey Stroke Lab Triple Track Double Wide Putter

22 hours ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

I take a look at putts from either side, but definitely the low side first. If the verdict is confusing it's a double-breaker, so I just aim as if it's a straight putt and rely on speed.

D =          PXG 0811X+ (12 degree) / Project X EvenFlow Riptide CB 50g 6.0 (S)

5W=        Honma XP-1 (18 degree)/

7W=         PXG 0341X (21 degree) / Project X EvenFlow Riptide CB 50g 6.0 (S)

4H=         Honma XP-1 (22 degree)/

5i - PW=  Srixon ZX5 / UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4 (S) graphite

SW=         Cleveland CBX2 (50/56/60)

putter=    Cobra Melbourne I (34")

ball=         Winter:     Noodle Neon (green)

Summer:   Bridgestone e6 (yellow) / Srixon Soft Feel (yellow)

6 hours ago, Captainspoint said:

guess the reason I want to work on a routine is just to build more consistency, an easy way for me to get comfortable behind the ball.

Bingo! Having a routine literally means to do the same thing time after time. 

Your routine - personal to you - should include exactly those steps that prepare you .. physically, mentally, strategically (eg. shot + club + target selection) ... to hit your next shot. Nothing extra; keep it simple and repeatable.

Imho it's ok to have a different pre-shot routine for, say, full swing vs chipping vs putting. Again, make it simple, repeatable and .. *yours*.

Good luck! 👍

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grips)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

On 5/1/2023 at 3:21 AM, RickyBobby_PR said:

Pic a target

picture the shot you want to hit

take a practice swing that create a feel for your selected shot

clear the mind

step up to ball and swing

doesn’t take long to do

To clear my mind would be great. It's unbelievable how many thoughts can run through mind between starting the swing and impact 🤣. I know I have some sort of ADD problem (or that's actually part of ADHD nowadays too), but it might be self caused (way too much on my phone, have had a ton of interruptions in my workdays before etc). 

WITB: TaylorMade M2 driver (2017), Adams Tightlies 16deg fw, Wilson Staff 21deg hybrid, 4-PW Wilson FG Tour Forged V2 irons, Rommy Armour 52 and 60 deg, Wilson Staff 56deg, Seemore putter.

Starting the 2023 season with a 28.4 HCP. 

The pre-shot routine needs to be consistent, and should be relatively smooth and short. When you go to the driving range, practice the routine with each shot as well. Don't just stand on the mat and bang balls, back off and approach each shot like you are on the course. This will help you determine what works and what doesn't and help establish your tempo while on the course.

I am also a big fan of the think box/play box approach. That you do all the thinking and calculations behind the ball, then cross an imaginary line where you switch the brain off, set up, and commit to the shot. If something pops into your head back off and reset. 

Here's my pre-shot routine.

1. Get my number with rangefinder and or shotscope and pick the club.

2. Glove on and one practice swing (unless if feels like garbage, then a second swing)

3. Stand behind the ball and find my target line.

4. Cross into the play box

5. Set up to my target line, look at the target, waggle pause fire

Now dat's it

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

43 minutes ago, DiscipleofPenick said:

The pre-shot routine needs to be consistent, and should be relatively smooth and short. When you go to the driving range, practice the routine with each shot as well. Don't just stand on the mat and bang balls, back off and approach each shot like you are on the course. This will help you determine what works and what doesn't and help establish your tempo while on the course.

I am also a big fan of the think box/play box approach. That you do all the thinking and calculations behind the ball, then cross an imaginary line where you switch the brain off, set up, and commit to the shot. If something pops into your head back off and reset. 

Here's my pre-shot routine.

1. Get my number with rangefinder and or shotscope and pick the club.

2. Glove on and one practice swing (unless if feels like garbage, then a second swing)

3. Stand behind the ball and find my target line.

4. Cross into the play box

5. Set up to my target line, look at the target, waggle pause fire

Now dat's it

Practice swings in genera are garbage because they don’t mimic the actual swing. Practice swings should be a practice movement of the shot you want to hit

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

44 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Practice swings in genera are garbage because they don’t mimic the actual swing. Practice swings should be a practice movement of the shot you want to hit

Apologies that I wasn't specific enough for you in my description.🙄🙄🙄

To quote page 51-52 of The Little Red Book by Harvey Penick:

"How many times have you seen a player make two or three beautiful practice swings that touch nothing but air? These swings are useful for loosening up, but they are no good when it comes to hitting the ball. From now on when you take a practice swing, make it a point to aim at something. Cut off a dandelion or a blade of grass...Aiming at something with your practice swing will help you learn to square the clubface. Never take another practice swing without aiming it at something."

Whether aiming at a target to square the club face or practice the movement to strike the ball, the practice swing must have a purpose. It should tell your mind to focus on the shot.

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

On 5/2/2023 at 11:35 AM, RickyBobby_PR said:

Practice swings should be a practice movement of the shot you want to hit

Like to refer to those as rehearsal swings. 

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grips)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

On 5/2/2023 at 8:35 AM, RickyBobby_PR said:

Or in my case a swing to see if my body can make that movement without hurting.  No pain… I’m good to go.  😂

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”