Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Garsen Putter Grip - MAX - 2023 Forum Review

On 6/10/2023 at 11:44 PM, Ben Joest said:

With the final review posted, one of my takeaways from the testing period, is the nightly putting contest between the 3 grips had a positive effect on my overall putting. With that in mind I will running a new contest over the next month. The MAX and the Ultimate will be returning and I’ll be introducing a new competitor, A Odyssey Tour Line Eleven, that just arrived today. The only decision left will be whether I get a MAX or an Ultimate to put on it, as the OEM grip is awful. More to come…

I have begun the testing portion of a review I’m doing for the Ultimate. It will be a scaled down version of my MAX review. Stay tuned!

WITB:

D: :taylormade-small: QI-10 core 9* Ventus Blue TR Velocore 6x

3w: :taylormade-small: Brnr mini driver 13.5 S

3h: :ping-small: G430 19° Tour 2/Stiff

7W: :callaway-small: 21° Rogue ST Max LinQ 7X

5i-6i:  :srixon-small: ZX5 MKII Project X 6.0

7i-PW: :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII Project X 6.0

50°, 54° & 58°:   :ping-small: Glide Forged Pro

P:   :odyssey-small: White Hot Versa DW

Ball:  :bridgestone-small: Tour BX mindset

Bag:  Ghost MGS Anyday 14 way

"And so, we beat on, boats against the current, borne ceaselessly into the past." - Fitzgerald

” The woods are lovely, dark and deep,   

But I have promises to keep,   

And miles to go before I sleep,   

And miles to go before I sleep. - Frost

"That you are here—that life exists and identity,

That the powerful play goes on, and you may contribute a verse." - Whitman

On 6/12/2023 at 12:17 AM, Subdiver1 said:

I bought a second ER2 for testing. 

This right here is dedication. Spending $300 to test a $20 grip. I applaud you sir.

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: SIM2 Max 12° - Accra TZ6 M4

FW Wood:     th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg Gen5 0311 7w  Fujikura Motore X F3

Irons:   :srixon-small: ZX7 PW-7i, ZX5 6i-5i

Wedges: :cleveland-small:  Zipcore 50°, 58°

Putter:   :taylormade-small: MySpider X

Cart: image.png.5aa5e9b8c0d6e08a2b12be76a06a07ca.pngOnewheel XR+

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond/ Z-Star XV

1 hour ago, Thin2win said:

This right here is dedication. Spending $300 to test a $20 grip. I applaud you sir.

Weeeeeellll... there just might be a touch more to that whole story that wasn't included 🫣

So, I've been playing the P790s for a while and I did that PXG fitting earlier this year and somehow I ended up with two, almost full sets of clubs. I still needed a putter and a 3-wood to round out the second set.  At this point you might be (insert scratching head emoji here) asking , "Scott, why do you need a second set of golf clubs? It'n not like you can play 2 sets at a time."  Weeeeeeelll, I also got kind of tired of lugging clubs back and forth across the country as frequently as I travel back and forth, so with the "deals" I've been able to get this test might just also be some level of excuse to help round out that bag.  So it kind of is and kind of isn't a "second putter."  If you know what I mean?  Things just kind of aligned 🤷‍♂️ 

• Driver - Ping G400 9°, Project-X Evenflow Black 6.0S 65 gr. 
  • FW - TM M3 3-wood 15°, Project-X HZRDUS Red 6.0 75 gr. mid-spin
  • Hybrid - TM M4 19°, Project-X Evenflow Black 6.0S 85 gr. HY 
  • Irons - TM P790, 3-PW, Oban CT-115, PXG 311 P Gen 6
  • Wedges - Mizuno T20 Ion blue 52/9 & 56/14, N.S. Pro Modus3 S-flex
  • Putter - Evnroll ER2 Garsen Max grip
  • Getting a grip - oversize Winn DryTacs and Bionic gloves
  • Ball - ProV1, AVX, Maxfli Tour, PXG
  • Bag(s)/cart - Vessel Player III Rovic RV1S and Alphard V2

On 6/11/2023 at 6:52 PM, Blueberry_Squishie said:

Bumping the thread because I added my final review.

The TLDR

The design of the Garsen Max grip allows you to grip with the hands facing each other (like their marketing suggests). Very helpful for aligning the face at address and being able to make a stroke that starts the ball on line. The colours and graphics aren’t to my liking, but the performance benefits of the unique grip design help my putting. The price and manufacturing quality of the Max grip is comparable with other premium brands like Superstroke, Bettinardi, and P2 so I would recommend trying it out for yourself.

Great summary.

3 hours ago, Ben Joest said:

I have begun the testing portion of a review I’m doing for the Ultimate. It will be a scaled down version of my MAX review. Stay tuned!

Headed to the course this evening to start comparing the Quad.  Have fun there.  Look forward to reading the next phase.

On 6/12/2023 at 9:17 AM, Subdiver1 said:

2023 Forum Member Test Garsen Max Putter Grip - Final Review

Introduction

My name is Scott.  I play primarily out of the Pacific Northwest and Central Florida, but I do quite a bit of traveling and play as much as I can when I do.  

I learned “soft hands” around the green and a decent putting stroke playing golf in southern New England in the 70s-80s.  Apparently that stroke and feel has diminished over the years.  Had I been smart enough to listen to coaches when I was a kid who knows where my game could have become; I may have even qualified to play for a community college or maybe the Bob’s Big Boy Tour . I’ve been playing primarily in WA State for the last couple of decades and my handicap has ranged from a low of 4 a couple of years back, to currently in the mid-7s.  I’d been gaming a Callaway BJ-1, what I thought would be my forever putter, since around 1988.  But, an equipment upgrade a couple of years ago got me thinking maybe I should “do a little something” with my putter too (yeah I know, don’t fix what ain’t broke right).

I’ve pretty much always used the same set-up and putting stroke; standard grip, slightly open stance, ball off the front heel, straight back and through; I feel like this set up allows me to come straight back and through the ball best and see the line.  I admit to some bias when I started my putter search, 1. Had to be a blade, and 2. Big grips were more of a gimmick than a potential benefit.  Enter the Evnroll ER2 and of course, a larger grip.  DAMN! There might just be something to this large grip thing (ironically, I have been playing oversize grips on all my clubs for quite a while).

Prior to this test I had no background with Garsen and other than my former bias against large putter grips I have no bias for or against the company or the product; my interest is in improving my game; As mentioned before, I might be a little competitive.  So, gaining an edge through better equipment is not something I won’t consider.  Wood worked great for Robin Hood and William Tell right!  So do we really need steel and carbon fiber?

First Impressions (9 out of 10)

This was my first testing opportunity and I initially had no idea what to expect or how to proceed, but I was excited to get going.  Communication from Kyle at Garsen sales was quick, detailed, profession and helpful.  Following my election on color and type everyday around here was a race to the mailbox looking for the package addressed to me.  I felt kind of like Steve Martin waiting for the new phone book (Boy I hope SOMEBODY other than me gets that reference The New Phone Books are Here)

When the grips finally arrived the Priority Mail envelope kind of threw me.  I expected a box with the Garsen name on it; maybe some flashing lights and sirens when I opened the mailbox.  Opening the package I was…well, I was underwhelmed.  One might think, “Well, that kind of sucks.”  BUT in reality, I was relieved that I didn’t have to tear through 42 layers of packaging and hire a moving truck to dispose of all the excess plastic and cardboard that everything comes in these days.  We have almost become conditioned to expect some grandiose packaging for a product when all it really needs is a package.  A box might have provided some more protection and some panache, but I was glad not to have to battle excess packaging and figure out disposal.

Shipping.png.e52468b9241568470946e60f5080342e.png

I divided my First Impression into two sub-categories; Packaging and Presentation and Communications.  I gave each group equal weight in this section.  

P&P:  Each grip was individually wrapped and protected in its own package.  As much as I feel like it is petty to harp on the Priority Mail envelope I keep coming back to my preference to minimize waste, but the need to understand how packaging, aesthetics, impacts perception; like Loois Viton and Chucchi and Dulche Cabana for instance; people buy a piece of $4 cow hide for $1000s because they package that cow hide as something extremely special.  So I needed to dock somebody a HUGE 1 point for all that, but the Garsen’s shipping department gets 4 of 5 for not using excessive packaging, efficiency and effectiveness (round of applause please 👏).  

Communications:  Since I consider customer service an important part of a First Impression, or a lasting one, I have to say that the communication from Kyle held quite a bit of weight, for me, in making a positive First Impressions.  Kyle essentially made that 1 point in P&P about as impactful as wet cardboard; 5 of 5 for communications.  

Aesthetics (8 out of 10) 

I chose the Max grip in red and black, the Ultimate in green and the Quad Tour without taper.  I like the color schemes and quality color and finish.  Looking back, if I had the choice, I probably would have chosen to go with all three in red as primary color.  

AllGrips.jpg.02a6ae6260d357119e865a18163a34a8.jpg

As noted by several others, the butt cap is a detractor for me as well.  I hope Garsen will eventually decide to do something to make the entire grip at least seem like one piece, more like the end of my OEM grip, rather than this plastic tip that looks like and afterthought.  Minus 2 points for the end cap.

The Fit and Feel (19 out of 20)

The best I can describe the material and feel of these grips is as falling somewhere between a good tour wrap and a Winn Dri-Tac.  Definitely not as “soft” as a Dri-Tac, but Not too firm and not too soft.  The Max and Ultimate have about the same consistency as my OEM Evnroll grip, which is good.  The Quad seems a little more firm, but not in a bad way.  Each model has a tackiness that gave me confidence it wouldn’t fly out of my hand on one of those days where I really need to let one rip up the hill and past the rotating windmill blades. Texturing can be seen in the phots here.  I really cannot find any fault with any of the designs/texturing.  Interestingly enough I found that the approximately 32,000,000 “G”s on the Ultimate were more inviting than I expected from just looking at the grip.

Textures.png.d0951716fa5eedc1dcc3c5ad90b63cd8.png

The one detractor, for me is that the Max is just under 1-1/2” shorter than my OEM grip so I feel like I am missing some room to adjust how high or low I grip the club.  The Max measures 10-3/16” form the tip of the butt to the shaft insertion point.  My OEM Evnroll grip measures 11-3/8.”  Just over an inch difference doesn’t sound like much, but I find it noticeable.  Garsen does offer a 15” option, but that was not included in our testing so I cannot speak to how that would affect my impression or performance.

I addressed feel in my hands in one of my first review posts and discussed how the Max felt in this video cut; “I like the way it feels for swing flow, for set up I am still trying to decide.” 

More detail here:  Initial Feel and Fit Review

G_Max_Feel_2.mov 8.06 MB · 0 downloads

Let’s start talking data!  Garsen provides specs for each grip on the various pages of their web site.  For the Max: 

STANDARD GRIP SPECS:

• Grip diameter: 1.5 Inches
  • Weight: 55 Grams
  • Core Size: .600
  • Firmness: Medium
  • Shock Absorption: High
  • Material: High-Tech PU
  • Feel: Semi-tacky, Smooth Texture 
  • Profile: Semi-Tapered

15" GRIP SPECS:

• Grip diameter: 1.5 Inches
  • Weight: 85 Grams
  • Core Size: .600
  • Firmness: Medium
  • Shock Absorption: High
  • Material: High-Tech PU
  • Feel: Semi-tacky, Smooth Texture
  • Profile: Semi-Tapered

Part of me would like to see a length included in the specs; but then I wondered if I may have missed out on something good over an inch. So maybe that isn’t really an issue, but as a purchase it may have made lean toward the 15” version.  Looking at my OEM grip and the Max from the angle in this photo the extra length is not as apparent, but the overall diameter is.  The OEM grip measures 4” circumference and the Max 4-1/2”.  The little bit of extra mass and the texture of the Max worked for me after I got my hands and my head wrapped around it (pun intended).

WearandTear.jpg.c3d405d27e5f3fd7176518d64c7e23b8.jpg

Garsen’s website (Max Grip Description) refers to the Max as INNOVATION WITH A TWIST. “By using a square grip with a 45% rotation, the “front” of the grip now becomes an angled area perfectly fitting the players’ grip and creating a much more biomechanically efficient position for the putting stroke.  This simple, yet highly effective, grip innovation is the fastest way to immediately improve your putting.”

So okay, maybe none of the grips are diamond shaped, but the Quad is a trapezoid and the Max looks a bit like my OEM grip turned 180°.  But, once I got familiar with it the angles and shaping of the Max definitely helped me put my hands and arms in the position I try to consistently put them in for a comfortable stroke.  Garsen also claims the Max grip creates a much more biomechanically efficient position for the putting stroke.  One review I read mentioned that the Quad, “promoted a flat left wrist and square contact.”  This aspect of the Quad may end up fitting my grip and putting style better than the Max will, but the Max was my initial choice and is my focus here.  

I broke Fit & Feel down into the following sub-categories:

Sub-category/Points Given/Possible Points

• Size (overall fit to hand/grip).   4/4
  • Comfort (how well my grip style conformed to the grip shape).   4/4
  • Weight (impact on club feel & swing flow).    4/4
  • Texture    3/3
  • Firm/soft (tackiness).   3/3
  • Fit on club (length, position, alignment).   1/2
  • Total.   19/20

On The Course (15 out of 20)

Feel

My go to putter for the last several years has been an Evnroll ER2 with a stock grip.  I bought a second ER2 for testing. The plan being to start comparing feel between my current Evnroll Gravity Grip and the Garsen MAX; then do some indoor testing on my Birdie Ball mat followed by on course performance both on the practice green and a comparison of past and present performance during play. 

Installed1.jpg.277d7f682d59806b21545d99acc41e22.jpg

Installed2.jpg.ec41efa41b317f7d871bec1b41c470f6.jpg

Installed3.jpg.71deb64733de8859c1fdd68d37a705b8.jpg

I almost wonder if an all red, blue or another color scheme may have stood out better against the black Evnroll design and initially drawn more comments.  Or maybe if I had put the Max on the silver/gray model and the OEM grip on the Black ER2.  Too late now, but harkening back to the Priority Mail envelope, lesson learned here. 

As noted in my initial reviews, I took some time and some adjustment to get the right fit.  Once I got comfortable, I like the way I could return to the same hand position pretty readily without having to make a conscious effort.

By Shot Scope and an App I use I was averaging 1.8 putts per hole (pph) prior to installing the Max.  Play It criteria was an improvement to 1.6 pph or better and no 3 putts.  However, if the grip itself felt better and promotes consistent hand position, I would still give serious consideration to not Trading It.

Performance

Rather than boring everyone with a repeat of all the testing data, I’ll provide a short summary in this review.  According to the Swing U app I am down to 1.7 pph last month vs. 1.8 pph last year.  Per Shot Scope my Putts per Round was an atrocious 31.4 putts (1.74 pph); following a ridiculous 35 putt round on Saturday I am at 30.3 ppr (or 1.68 pph).  So, there is improvement.  A summary of putting and comparison from 2022 and the last 15 rounds, rounds played with the Garsen Max is shown in this graphic.  Lots of data to say there were improvements here and there.  

ImprovementData.png.07d7875f8511366ab2bb23842e0f78f5.png

Distance Control – Feel

This last test was performed prior to that wonderful Saturday round (how does anyone have 34 putts and still win the A-flight?  Wait! Don’t answer that). I attempted 5 putts form 9, 17 and 25 feet (don’t ask. I paced it off then measured after and decided I didn’t have time to adjust). Anyway, results are pretty apparent (inset next to the distance).  I am very happy with distance control here. 

FinalTesting.png.4bf70003e3b570243343fa17290be69f.png

Wear and Tear

I tried my best to keep the grip in the fairways and prevent any errant shots off cart paths to keep the cover pristine.  After several years of hard work (30+ putts per round is pretty laborious) my OEM Evnroll grip looks pretty used, but after 15 rounds and countless practice sessions the grip seems.to be holding up well.
WearandTear2.jpg.e35ffe504efe5ffb02ff1ed80f7fba44.jpg

I broke this group down into several sub-categories as well:

Sub-category/Points Given/Possible Points

• On Course Presence – do people notice it.    1/2
  • Feel.    2/3
  • Performance.    4/6
  • Distance Control.    5/6
  • Wear and Tear.   3/3
  • Total.    15/20

The Good, the Bad, the In-Between (15 out of 20)

The Good

Communication – Initial communications and responses to questions were outstanding.  If this is any indication, then Garsen will take any feedback we have and translate that to improvements; which means opportunity for players.

Feel – Feel is one of those subjective things that you can sometimes get used to and sometimes it just doesn’t work.  In this case it works for me.

Performance - This is where the rubber meets the road folks.  

Wear and tear - So far, the wear is fine. This translates to that tackiness and texture holding up over many rounds which contributes to performance.  Ever driven a car that feels great when you test drive it then after a month or two you start to notice that power and handling aren’t quite what you remember from the test drive?  Time will tell, but I expect these grips to wear well.  Of course, they are fairly priced and since they are designed to be installed with or without sticky stuff a swap can be as easy as firing up the compressor and blowing rubber all over your workshop (don’t forget your safety glasses folks!).

Testing and On Course Performance.  Indoor and practice green testing went well.  I won’t say that my distance control is all that much better, but I am confident with this grip and that has contributed to decent control.  I have seen a slight improvement in overall on course performance and am willing to accept that the grip may be contributing to that, but are we in the honeymoon stages or will the relationship flourish or flounder?  I’m looking forward to seeing if the trend continues.

The Bad

As much as I hate to continue to harp on it, the end cap takes away from the fit and finish of the product.  In production and Quality Control we talk a lot about Fit, Form and Function.  The end cap may not contribute or detract from performance (function), but it takes away from aesthetics which affects form to a degree (translating to perception of quality).  So, I have to mention it.

The In-Between 

Aesthetics - Aside from the end cap, I think Garsen did a great job with colors and design overall.  Thumbs up here on that aspect of the product.

Performance – While I have seen a slight improvement in overall on course performance and am willing to accept that the grip may be contributing to that it hasn’t been earthshattering.  I’m looking forward to seeing if the trend continues so I don’t want to detract from the positive aspects of consistent hand placement and feel, but I want to see where things go from here.

Play it or Trade it? 16 out of 20)

I am going to continue to play it.  I am also looking forward to doing some comparison testing with the Ultimate and the Quad to see if they do anything for my game.

Conclusion

Whether you are a beginner or a long-time scratch player, if you are looking for a change to your putting take a look at what Garsen has to offer.  The product quality is very good, and the price is very reasonable, especially if you are undecided and can take advantage of the 3 for $80 package available for Father’s Day.  Remember that, like any other aspect of this game, the player is the prime mover and, a bad swing or a bad day are not going to be fixed by equipment, no matter how good the equipment is.  That being said, equipment that fits your game and helps you be consistent will definitely help you be consistent; which helps you score better (or at least know what to expect ).

Final Score (82 out of 100)

Even my caddy says the Max passes the sniff test. 

SniffTest.jpg.3a161d4277864ce5e7e39d1155d96bba.jpg

Hey guys, throw me a bone here, it is my first review.   Seriously, I hope some of my posts and process help someone make a good decision and I hope it helps someone, somewhere with their game.  Keep 'em in the short stuff folks.

Scott

Good day Subdiver1

The end cap what exactly is it for, in my max it wasn't included. I find the max a strange grip, everyone says to me that the grip is wrong on it. they laugh a bit about it. I practised with it on putting green on my Ping, I put it on my competition putter the same evening Taylormade. see what that gives on the course.

Greetings
Christof

Grips op de putter.jpg

Max&Ultimta op de putters.jpg

Ultimate & Max in verpaking.jpg

:taylormade-small:Redline Monte Carlo, Face Balanced, Grip:garsen: max

:cleveland-small: RTX5 58°/06°, RTX6° 54° low+8° and 48°/10°Dynamic Gold Spinner Tour Issue Wedge Flex

:wilson_staff_small: D9: 5 en PW; KBS Max Ultralight steel

:taylormade-small: Stealth F.W.7 21° and F.W.3 15° ventus red 5 regular

:taylormade-small: TP5: :vice: Pro plus

Garmin: Vivoactive 4

:nike-small: Air max 90

6 hours ago, Christof said:

The end cap what exactly is it for, in my max it wasn't included

The end cap I address, along with others, in the review is just the plastic butt at the end of the grip.  The little cap on the end of my putter (circled in red in the pic on the Garsen Max) is the Shot Scope sensor.  The end caps (butts circled in blue in this pic) on all three Garsen grips seem to be a plastic, where the butt of the OEM Evnroll appears to be a part of the grip (circled in orange in the pic) and the same material; you can see the separation in this pic (blue), and I am sure on your own grip. 

20230614_193758.jpg

Edited by Subdiver1
Added pic

17 hours ago, Subdiver1 said:

The end cap I address, along with others, in the review is just the plastic butt at the end of the grip.  The little cap on the end of my putter (circled in red in the pic on the Garsen Max) is the Shot Scope sensor.  The end caps (butts circled in blue in this pic) on all three Garsen grips seem to be a plastic, where the butt of the OEM Evnroll appears to be a part of the grip (circled in orange in the pic) and the same material; you can see the separation in this pic (blue), and I am sure on your own grip. 

20230614_193758.jpg

Yes ok now I understand, I paid little attention to that I also found it only moderate but did not bother me, on my Ping pistol grip that is better finished more like on yours Evnroll grip, you are right that could be better.

Christof

:cleveland-small: RTX5 58°/06°, RTX6° 54° low+8° and 48°/10°Dynamic Gold Spinner Tour Issue Wedge Flex

Max Black-Blue - Garson Golf

The Review

I did The Intro with THE QUAD TOUR, because that was my 1st choice, but THE QUAD TOUR Non Tapper was not delivered, I received the Ultimate and max on 08.06.23, I did the Ultimate first because it felt the best out of the box, I found the Max a weird grip, that's why I did the Max second, here is my review of the Max. I am a man of few words and also do a lot by feel. I tell it like it is, the more I have to read the faster I get distracted, I prefer clear text that is not long-winded. Hope my review is the same

First Impressions (07out of 10)

When I hold the Max the grip felt very weird, that's why I mounted 1st on the Ultimate because it felt more normal and mounted Ping on my 2nd putter. I went to practice on the putting green with the Max 1st, when you grip the grip properly you immediately feel your elbows come in with the neutral wrist position and feel less tension on the shoulders and wrists, especially on the puts from 5 metres you feel the difference that you have more control and are more comfortable putting. After a few Puts with the Ping, in the evening I still put the Max on my competition putter, once familiar with was felt very good and quite impressed with was. For me it is pleasant that the wrist is already in a good position and with a rotation of 45% using the square sides, my left wrist and thumb are in a comfortable position, so that my thumb can stay in line with my hand and not like with other grips on the front or wriggling for laying on the side, this way, my right hand can also stay higher and I also stay upright as opposed to other grips where my right shoulder hangs down or I have to go deeper through my knees to have more control over the putting stroke, with the Max I can stay in a more comfortable position. The length of max and weight fits very well with my Taylormade Redline Monte Carlo putter feels very good the balance is very well spread, Also gets a lot of feedback from the putter when the ball hits or relieves the putter you already feel immediately that I have made a good contact or not that it is going to be bad or good putt. . Profile: Semi-Tapered does feel comfortable. The Material: High-tech Pul is good: not hard not too soft and does not get softer at warm +30° either. The grip does feel sticky but not very sticky it is pretty much in between. The Grip diameter 3.81cm for my small hands I find very pleasant, have gloves Inesis S or M the round back I find very pleasant to hold feels very familiar maybe also because I cycle a lot always hold round grips.

Yes as First Impressions very difficult for points to give, in the beginning I did not like it much and now it is great. As a First Impression 5/10 as a second impression 9/10 you come up with an average of 7/10.

Aesthetics (08 out of 10)

The max has an oval back is pleasant though, the 2 right sides that are rotated 45° is special but once just are does add value, where the 2 straight sides meet at the front of the Max its straight pointed round shape, I don't quite know how to describe, could have been a bit rounder or flatter for me. Letters Garson is nicely printed in it, letters Max could be better, maybe a bit finer or put vertically for more recognition points, Colour; the transition from Black blue and vice versa is well done and with the arrow shape in it good recognition points. The textures in it are simple I can't tell much about it the Material: High-Tech Pul and Semi-tacky feel you can't really feel the textures in it. The Max feels slightly tacky and is in between hard and soft. The top cap is moderately finished.

The Fit and Feel(18 out of 20)

The fit and feel, the half round back or more oval rounding does give me a familiar feeling. I do find the straight sides turned 45° pleasant and comfortable for the hands and shoulders. Where the 2 straight sides come against each other, in my opinion could have been rounder or flatter for my putter grip my finger fit in better, I also have small hands maybe with big hands less of a problem. The grip is not too soft and not hard, the material is sticky but minimal in between and minimal. The textures in it you do feel and see but because of the Material: High-Tech Pul and Semi-tacky feel the textures feel soft. For feel a 9/10 for fit 9/10= 18/20

On The Course (19 out of 20)

1st What other people thought and felt about it, all found a weird grip and all said the grip looks wrong on it, the Max didn't have many fans. For me on the course, just saying Top, 14.06.23 1st tested on the putting green with the ping, evening mounted the MAX on Taylormade and on Thursday evening 15.06.23 played 9 hole match with it, only the putting stayed on level all the rest was sad. On 17.06. 23 I played 18 holes on my own in 29° and did a functional cadio workout of 60 minutes in the morning, after 12 holes the best was gone, but even then the Max still gave me a good and confident feeling and I was amazed how much control the Max gives me in fatigued condition, over the entire 18holes I needed 4x1 putt and did not need to putt 3 times and sometimes that does happen, with putts of 3m to 5m sometimes I am within 30cm of the hole or next to the hole. I loved it, is it because I was tired, I loved it or is the Max doing its Job with the Innovation with a Twist that the straight edges are rotated 45° so your hands are in a position the palms face each other and the wrists are in a neutral position. It turns your elbows into your body and puts your shoulders back. This relieves arm and shoulder tension, inhibits wrist action, which "takes the hands out of putting, and promotes shoulder rotation, creating a solid putting stroke that gives you a one-piece feel, leading to a more consistent stroke. For me though 19/20 will want to give 20 but maybe it could be even better.

The Good, the bad, the inbetween (15 out of 20)

The Bad: Having to wait more than 1 month for the grips and end up having to pay for them myself and there were only 2 then 2 that I hadn't signed up for, then it's all no fun. Testing material and having to pay for it myself then it may be even cheaper is basically not right. After so many emails from Bpost and superspeedgolf I paid 28.74€ otherwise the grips will be sent back to sender and if I don't test the grips I was not allowed by Golfspy to test any other material therefore I paid the grips. Packaging was a Standard postal packaging envelope that was torn when package came out of the letterbox but there is nothing the sender can do about that. There was only a card in it from superspeedgolf. I think if you want to promote a product and it could all be better. Grip,: the Finish or connection of the grip against the Lower and upper cap is substandard.

In between: the Front of the 2 straight sides coming together could perhaps be a bit rounder, but is perhaps a personal preference. The letters Max might be better placed.

The good: Am glad I had the grips paid for so I could test different grips and feel difference with Gasron and the existing grips I already had. Thanks to Liz Masters my contact person at garson grips U.K. and Superspeedgolf, she made sure she refunded my shipping costs and is going to deliver Juli the Quad Tour as well. The Grip does its job. It's great that you get to test and keep 3 grips and test 3 different models. Never thought I would get to experience something like this than sure it is an American brand and live in Belgium myself.

The bad was too bad and did 20/3 doesn't come out but the good made the difference =15/20

Play it or Trade it? (19out of 20)

The price $34.99 = 32.50 Euro I can hardly judge, I don't know the price in Europe, there are much more expensive grips as well as cheaper ones. The Max stays on my Taylormade also feels better than the Ultimate with the Max the distribution of weight and gravity balance is better distributed throughout the putter. The oval back is comfortable once you get used to the right sides it's a bonus. Golfers who putt with a grip that makes putts like the Cross Handed or reverse overlap are going to have difficulty with the right sides turned 45° for everything else it's not going to be a problem in my opinion. Golfers who have a lot of shoulder rotation and or wrist action may find it one more value because more comfortable posture when putting. I putt pretty straight through with a pencil/pen grip, for me it just felt better, golfers who point with bow no idea that the Max is an added value.

Conclusion

The Max with its oval back and right sides rotated 45° feels very weird at first, once you get used to it the putting feels very comfortable, so your hands get into a position, that the palms face each other and the wrists are in a comfertable position. It turns your elbows inwards and puts your shoulders back. It relieves arm and shoulder tension, inhibits wrist action, taking the wrists out of putting and promotes shoulder rotation, creating a pleasurable putting stroke that gives you a one-piece feel, leading to a more consistent stroke.Depending on which putter and length shafts maybe the 15inc is better and have very large hands the 15inc is also going to be more interesting.The finish could be better from the end cap. The grip is neither soft nor hard nor very sticky, Golfers who like the Cross Handed or reverse overlap or variation on it maybe the Max is not going to be suitable. Innovation with a Twist will work for many golfers.

Final Score 86out of 100

Christof Verbert

De green lezen.jpg

Hole 4 de swing.jpg

Hole 4.jpg

Hole 16.jpg

Hole 18.jpg

ik in hoding.jpg

Ping met Garson Max.jpg

Putter swing.jpg

Edited by Christof

First post official review update:

I played a full weekend of tournament golf this weekend:

Saturday, even par, 31 putts, two 3-putts (one on each side)

Sunday, +6, 30 putts, no 3-putts, ONE 4-putt (are you frickin' kidding me???  - to be fair to the putter (the club) and the grip, the first putt was ~100' and the greens shifted dramatically from fast on the front to WTH slow on the back, AND I hit the second putt like I was petting a newborn  - but the reason for the grip change includes distance control, sooooo....) The bottom line? Made som along putts., missed some short ones.  I need to get those short ones in the cup and reduce my overall under 30 putts per round.  I think the grip is, if not helping, not hurting. 

Screen Shot 2023-06-18 at 8.34.24 PM.png

Good day Max Testers

I have fitted the Max on my Cleveland HB Huntington Beach Soft #8, been at home for 2 weeks, have only been working on my putter mat, with the plastic around it, the putter did give me a good feel, originally it has the Grip: Cleveland Lamkin SinkFit Skinny Pistol on it, the max still gives a better feel especially with the oval curve of the back. Will see what it gives on the green.

Greetings
Christof

Cleveland huntington beach premier soft 08 .jpg

Huntington beach premier soft met garson max grip..jpg

7 minutes ago, Christof said:

Good day Max Testers

I have fitted the Max on my Cleveland HB Huntington Beach Soft #8, been at home for 2 weeks, have only been working on my putter mat, with the plastic around it, the putter did give me a good feel, originally it has the Grip: Cleveland Lamkin SinkFit Skinny Pistol on it, the max still gives a better feel especially with the oval curve of the back. Will see what it gives on the green.

Greetings
Christof

Cleveland huntington beach premier soft 08 .jpg

Huntington beach premier soft met garson max grip..jpg

I hope you have the same experience I had.  This grip made a huge difference for me.

:titleist-small: 917D2 driver

:callaway-small: 3 wood

:titleist-small: TS2 19 degree and 21 degree hybrids

:PXG:0211 5-GW irons

:ping-small: Glide 56 and 60 degree wedges

:odyssey-small: EXO7 putter :garsen: MAX grip

:titleist-small: Pro V1

7 minutes ago, Caddie1966 said:

I hope you have the same experience I had.  This grip made a huge difference for me.

Yes will see Wednesday or Thursday I will go test is, I found the Max for balance and or equilibrium felt much better than the Ultimate on the Taylormade redline monte carlo putter. also mentioned somewhere in my report of the Ultimate also found it too long. With the Ultimate, Taylormade also felt heavier. I now have the Ultimate on the Ping in my opinion the Ultimate fits it better but is still not optimal. Is it the length of the Ultimate that doesn't suit me, feels heavier and the balance is different with the Ultimate. I can only describe it that way because it feels that way.

What was the big difference for you?

Christof

Hello Max Testers

I mounted the Max on Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft Premier 08.  Originally the Grip: Cleveland Lamkin SinkFit Skinny Pistol is on it, practised with it a few times on the putter mat and felt I was squeezing the putter too hard, also felt more tension in my left forearm when holding the grip. I then mounted the Max on it and felt good the balance was right and felt good, the oval back of the Max feels much better than the SinkFit Skinny Pistol grip. At first I did struggle with distance and control with the putter, I don't know if it's down to the model of putter head or the soft milled face of the putter. After testing it on the putting green, it went better and got more confidence on it because it feels really good. I hesitated before playing a match with Cleveland with Max grip on it. I took the risk before playing a match with it and it turned out well with 1x put and 1x 3 put and the rest from 2 putts, the puts from 5-6 metres even from 9 metres rolled right next to it, often I ended up less than 30-50cm from the hole sometimes just tapping in. The MAX grip does work, I just don't know on the a Blade or Milled soft face make the difference, with my Taylermade I also do puts like this, only the feel is different with Cleveland feels more control more stability more feel have with the cleveland it feels good as 1 piece with the Max.

20230623_213907.jpg

Cleveland and Max oefenen hole 18.jpg

Cleveland and max.jpg

Cleveland en Max Hole 18.jpg

Hole 18 Oefenen natte green.jpg

2 hours ago, Christof said:

Hello Max Testers

I mounted the Max on Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft Premier 08.  Originally the Grip: Cleveland Lamkin SinkFit Skinny Pistol is on it, practised with it a few times on the putter mat and felt I was squeezing the putter too hard, also felt more tension in my left forearm when holding the grip. I then mounted the Max on it and felt good the balance was right and felt good, the oval back of the Max feels much better than the SinkFit Skinny Pistol grip. At first I did struggle with distance and control with the putter, I don't know if it's down to the model of putter head or the soft milled face of the putter. After testing it on the putting green, it went better and got more confidence on it because it feels really good. I hesitated before playing a match with Cleveland with Max grip on it. I took the risk before playing a match with it and it turned out well with 1x put and 1x 3 put and the rest from 2 putts, the puts from 5-6 metres even from 9 metres rolled right next to it, often I ended up less than 30-50cm from the hole sometimes just tapping in. The MAX grip does work, I just don't know on the a Blade or Milled soft face make the difference, with my Taylermade I also do puts like this, only the feel is different with Cleveland feels more control more stability more feel have with the cleveland it feels good as 1 piece with the Max.

20230623_213907.jpg

Cleveland and Max oefenen hole 18.jpg

Cleveland and max.jpg

Cleveland en Max Hole 18.jpg

Hole 18 Oefenen natte green.jpg

Christof,

Nice write up. I too had some distance control issues when I pit the MAX on my putter. In my case, I started putting to the hole and beyond when pre iiusly I had been chronically short of the hole.  I discovered that my improved distance was due to me standing slightly closer to the ball and thereby hitting the center of the putter more often.  With more consistent center strikes, you will generate more inertia and the putts will roll more consistently and likely with more speed until you adjust Ty our stroke accordingly.  I hope this helps.

18 hours ago, Caddie1966 said:

Christof,

Nice write up. I too had some distance control issues when I pit the MAX on my putter. In my case, I started putting to the hole and beyond when pre iiusly I had been chronically short of the hole.  I discovered that my improved distance was due to me standing slightly closer to the ball and thereby hitting the center of the putter more often.  With more consistent center strikes, you will generate more inertia and the putts will roll more consistently and likely with more speed until you adjust Ty our stroke accordingly.  I hope this helps.

Hello Caddie1966

yes I have been practising with my putter mirror, attitude not really the problem I think; Played 18 holes again today, I don't quite know how to write that how many puts that my ball stay around the hole stay within 50cm sometimes it's left then right sometimes too short, I think today I didn't make 1x put and maybe 1 or 2x3 putts made further the rest all 2 putts, maybe I can't do better or the soft millend face or blade model not my thing, well must say with the blade my swing stays stable well. I mainly play with the TP5 balls or urethane golf ball, I have no idea TP5 balls or urethane golf ball and milled soft face are a good combination. it does feel good but maybe can't do better? The balls I play with are Class C or B Lakeballes 

Late June update - Life has been a bit hectic and I haven't had a chance to do much comparison, yet.  I have a few more rounds under belt with the Max installed and wanted to provide that update.

June 6, 9-hole round, -1 overall, 13 putts overall 😃- 5 one-putts and 4 two-putts NO 3-putts

June 10, 18-holes, +10 overall, 35 putts overall - YIKES!!! - 🤮 1 one-putt front side, 2 three-putts/2 one-putts back side NO 3-putts

JUne 13, 9-holes, +2 overall, 16 putts overall, NO 3-putts

Here are a couple of interesting rounds 

June 17, 18-holes, even overall, 31 putts overall 🤔- 4 one-putts/1 three-putt front side, 3 one-putts/1 three-putt back side,

June 18, 18-holes, +6 overall, 30 putts overall 😕 - 3 one-putts front, 5 one-putts & 1 four-putt back side 😱 🤯

June 20, 9-holes, +3 overall, 13 putts overall 😃 - 4 one-putts, 1 three-putt 😖

June 25, 18-holes, +14 overall 🤯, 32 putts overall, 6 one-putts, 2 three putts 

Sigh!  I am not sure what to think.  I know that I have been making some great lags and some nice one-putt saves and birds, but the 3-putt numbers still have me concerned.  The 4 putt was a complete fluke.  The green was about 3 points slower than the previous 11 greens and the first putt was from over 100 feet going up and then down to a front pin sitting just atop a false front slope.  All those factored into a complete meltdown moment.

Popping in for a brief update on the MAX. Although the Ultimate is currently in my bag and on the putter I’m gaming in rounds, I have continued to use the MAX in my nightly putting mat contest I am running for my Ultimate review. 

I continue to be impressed by the MAX and it’s ability to keep my hands in a quiet and repeatable stroke. 

I am curious about its performance with other styles of putter, namely blades. So if I can find a suitable blade on the pre-owned sites, I may investigate that train of thought further. Stay tuned.

WITB:

"And so, we beat on, boats against the current, borne ceaselessly into the past." - Fitzgerald

On 6/27/2023 at 9:45 PM, Ben Joest said:

I am curious about its performance with other styles of putter, namely blades. So if I can find a suitable blade on the pre-owned sites, I may investigate that train of thought further. Stay tuned.

During my last round, the Odyssey Tour Line Eleven that I was using with a Garsen Ultimate grip missed 4 consecutive birdie putts inside 10 feet on the final four holes. I like to think of myself as a thoughtful and kind person that doesn’t react rashly, so I take no pleasure in reporting that the very next day that particular putter was traded in for an Odyssey White Hot Versa Double Wide. One putters loss, is another putters gain. So I will be installing a Garsen MAX on it and pursuing the above quoted line of inquiry. 

WITB:

19 hours ago, Ben Joest said:

During my last round, the Odyssey Tour Line Eleven that I was using with a Garsen Ultimate grip missed 4 consecutive birdie putts inside 10 feet on the final four holes. I like to think of myself as a thoughtful and kind person that doesn’t react rashly, so I take no pleasure in reporting that the very next day that particular putter was traded in for an Odyssey White Hot Versa Double Wide. One putters loss, is another putters gain. So I will be installing a Garsen MAX on it and pursuing the above quoted line of inquiry. 

The Max makes the difference.

23 hours ago, Ben Joest said:

As mentioned, there is a new putter in the stable:

WHVDW-2.jpg.1e362dc1511f4d5f4866427f3888f446.jpg

WHVDW-3.jpg.4745b2a9372d5790645dca86979b6afe.jpg

WHVDW.jpg.2aa6eb4eae9ba1b20fcefcc139a573ff.jpg

I am excited to try the MAX on a blade style putter, as I tested it on a mallet for the review. 

WITB:

11 hours ago, Ben Joest said:

As mentioned, there is a new putter in the stable:

WHVDW-2.jpg.1e362dc1511f4d5f4866427f3888f446.jpg

WHVDW-3.jpg.4745b2a9372d5790645dca86979b6afe.jpg

WHVDW.jpg.2aa6eb4eae9ba1b20fcefcc139a573ff.jpg

I am excited to try the MAX on a blade style putter, as I tested it on a mallet for the review. 

Looks good.  Let’s hope it does the job for you, before you know it you will be down to a 3.0

1 hour ago, Caddie1966 said:

Looks good.  Let’s hope it does the job for you, before you know it you will be down to a 3.0

Thanks. Going from 12 to 6 was largely the result of hard work on my tee and approach games. Getting from 6 to 0 will hinge solely on short game and putting. It’s early but I really like the feel of the MAX on this putter.

WITB:

As previously mentioned, I have been running a nightly putting mat competition for the Ultimate grip review that I am working on. After the nights round, I wasn’t ready to quit so I staged a mini-comp between the Rossie with the Ultimate grip and the Versa with the MAX grip. Taking 10 putts each from 5’, 6’, 7’, 8’, & 9’ for a total of 50 putts each. 

The competitors:

Odyssey White Hot Rossie w/ Ultimate

IMG_0898.jpeg.6ba159a020981c05eed4c2a8bf775048.jpeg

and 

Odyssey White Hot Versa Double Wide w/ MAX

IMG_0899.jpeg.1d54e48e7dc0847c09665bc2d01aa62b.jpeg

and victor was:

IMG_0897.jpeg.423ffd13bf29aeb0744a6337f4869562.jpeg

The MAX! With 47 of 50 putts made. 

WITB:

Max Performance Update

Since my June 27 update I have played another 4 rounds.

Looking back at putting performance since 6 June I've played 171 holes and had 301 putts.  Evaluating putting shows the following:

image.png.912a5407a49109cb4c77c6c5424146d8.png

That in an increase in average number of putts/round (PPR) from pre-Max putting and a deviation away from the goal of 27 or better PPR.  However, the average number of 3 or more putts per rounds appears to have decreased.  And number of putts made between 9-12 feet and from outside 18 feet have improved so...  Yeah, I don't really have a definitive verdict at the moment, but I am going to keep gaming the Max until I can get some time on the Quad for comparison.  I am not sure if this helps anyone at all, but it is an update 😁 

Cheers all.

Screen Shot 2023-07-09 at 5.33.50 PM.png

I ran some comparisons Tuesday evening between the Max and the Quad.  6 putts (don't ask, I had 4 free balls in my bag and figured I needed at least 5 so I opened a sleeve that had 2 and ended up with 6 🤷‍♂️...anyway), 6 putts with each outer from 5 positions, each position progressively farther from the pin by one pace (3, 6, 9, 12 and 15 feet respectively).  The path was relatively flat, but did have a left to right break that was affected a good bit by speed (what break isn't, right? This one was particularly noticeable when speed dropped off 🤦‍♂️).  I would have put this in a table, but am working from my phone so it is what it is. Results were:

MAX - there was only one putt I missed short, that was from pos'n 4 at 12 ft.

Pos 1 (3 ft) 6 for 6

Pos 2 (6 ft) 4 for 6, 2 miss left

Pos 3 (9 ft) 2 for 6, 3 miss left/1 right

Pos 4 (12 ft) 3 for 6, miss 1 short, 1 right, 1 left

Pos 5, (15 ft) 4 for 6, miss 2 left.

QUAD - 

Pos 1, 6 for 6

Pos 2, 4 for 6, miss 1 left/1 right

Pos 3, 2 for 6, miss 2 left/2 right

Pos 4, 3 for 6, miss 2 left/1 right

Pos 5, 3 for 6, miss 3 right.

Analysis, I like the feel, but like starting out with the Max, it is a bit strange. 

I made 19 of 30 putts with the Max missing 8 left and 2 right, 1 short.

Made 18 of 30 putts with the Quad, missing 5 left and 7 right.

Aside from the break being in there, I like missing high rather than low. I'm going to do some more practicing and comparison before seriously considering a swap, but I like the right side misses and a couple of the misses, for both putters were edge burners or left sided ones that rolled around the rim and didn't drop.  Thoughts?

Good day 

I have some pictures of the max done, everyone says to me grip is not right is skewed, I do say so is that how it should be, don't really believe that. Can anyone tell me the max grip is properly mounted or not.

Sporting Greetings
Christof

20230718_185213.jpg

20230718_185234.jpg

20230718_185333.jpg

20230718_190156.jpg

20230718_190213.jpg

32 minutes ago, Christof said:

Good day 

I have some pictures of the max done, everyone says to me grip is not right is skewed, I do say so is that how it should be, don't really believe that. Can anyone tell me the max grip is properly mounted or not.

Sporting Greetings
Christof

20230718_185213.jpg

20230718_185234.jpg

20230718_185333.jpg

20230718_190156.jpg

20230718_190213.jpg

You have it on correctly. That is way it designed to be installed.

WITB:

2 hours ago, Ben Joest said:

You have it on correctly. That is way it designed to be installed.

Agree - the grip is installed correctly with the spine aimed as your photos show.  Yes, a bit unconventional.  I am still getting used to mine.

gowfer1959  😎

Spoiler

Besides the grips that we were selected to test we each received a three pack of Garsen's most popular grips.  As promised I've had the Max and Quad Tour installed on two of my putters, very different putters and taken them out for a test spin.

I really liked the look of the Max in the wrapper preferring it to the ultimate that I was selected to test.  On the putter it has a bit of an unusual appearance.  However when you grip it and start rolling putts it feels very good, softer than the ultimate did, it fits more into the palm.  I rolled the ball really well on the putting green with it.  Of late I've been having trouble pulling putts, this was no where near as pronounced on the practice green today and not noticeable at all with longer putts.  Overall I was extremely pleased with its performance.  As you can see below it does look odd.

I will pop over to the Quad Tour thread next and over a short review there.  I will say here that it was the sleeper of the group for me.  I didn't think I'd like it at all and I'm now wondering if I might not bag that putter, grip combo for a while.  That would figure, this is a $500 Evnroll, that is a $60 bargain basket Vodoo Daddy.  To be fair though I've had work done on that putter and I have a lot of good history with it.  I hadn't touched it in 7 years.  

IMG_2803.jpg.604b0afe5674c04695d32ee6155cf19a.jpgIMG_2800.jpg.937f66f703daa8e57f19772b0e66b24b.jpg

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD