Takomo Irons - 2023 Forum Review

Message added by GolfSpy_APH,

Follow our Testers main review posts in the links below!

@ZackS - TESTING POST - 101T Series
@KC Golf - TESTING POST - 101T Series

@TylorJudd - TESTING POST - 301 CB Series

@Jim Shaw - TESTING POST - 301 MB Series

@DukeStKing - TESTING POST - 101T Series

On 5/9/2023 at 1:13 PM, ZackS said:

Introduction:

Let me start by saying how much I appreciate this opportunity and big thanks to MSG and Takomo. I am not big on talking about myself but here we go. My name is Zack, I was born and raised the Dallas TX area and lived here most my life other then a few years in California for college. I worked in the golf industry throughout most of my 20’s primarily in a teaching role where I was a lead instructor for a city course teaching both adults and kids then an indoor facility with Edwin Watts. I have moved into IT engineering for my career and I am a single dad.   

IMG_1693.jpeg.afb12b6f116788f65c22642fc92dbd51.jpeg

My Game:

A little on the history on my game. I started playing 23 years ago in high school. I picked up the game pretty quickly and was constantly shooting in the 80s by end on freshman year. My last few years of high school was was consistently in the high 70s. My game was at its best in college where I got down to scratch. Throughout my time in the industry I didn’t keep a handicap but my average score was mid to low 70s with a bad day being high 70s. After years of averaging about 1 round per year I played a handful of time last year and have got the bug again. I still don’t keep a handicap but currently averaging about 8 over par when I play. For a few reasons, I still don’t get play as much as I would like so I practice more than I play currently but with my analytical, perfectionist mindset, I enjoy practicing. I have to intentionally only video my swing, every so often as I will nitpick at myself too much🤣.

How I plan to test:

Going to start by putting them through their paces on the range to get an idea for things like feel, consistency, ball flight, etc. I also plan to get some time on a launch monitor to get numbers and compare to my current numbers. And of course test them on course when you need hit different distances, heights etc. and plan to do a irons only round as well. I will compare them to my Adams Idea Pro A12 irons which have been a very good set of forged players cavity, back irons. I think this will be a good comparison. Since I feel picking between a players cavity back and the smaller hollow body players distance irons is a decision most lower double digit or single digit players looking for a little more forgiveness would be making. I hope to provide good perspective into this having been that lower handicap, but is currently closer to the low double digit player.

Moreover, I have to tell you this story about scholarship opportunities, they play a vital role in providing financial aid to students pursuing their academic dreams. With rising tuition fees and living expenses, scholarships can alleviate the burden and make education more accessible. In this regard, websites like Samploon offer a valuable resource for students seeking scholarships. I use that source https://samploon.com/free-essays/scholarship/ and recomand you to try that because you can access a range of free essays on scholarships, gaining insights into the application process, tips for writing winning essays, and information about different scholarship programs. These essays serve as a valuable tool, offering guidance and inspiration to aspiring scholars. By reading about successful scholarship recipients, students can learn from their experiences, discover effective strategies, and enhance their own applications.

Expectations and what I ordered:

Having looked into these irons I love the companies model, as cost has always been at minimum speed bump to getting into this game we all love. But there is a difference in value and cheap. From what I have seen I am expecting these to be a quality product and provide good value. And hope help more golfers be able make their decision on value these could provide to them.

Screenshot2023-05-10at6_10_54PM.png.b2f1eeedbe532f7683e3012549687e52.png

I selected these specs as the length and lie are what I have used and been fit to in the past. I currently use the same shaft in X stiff and don’t feel it is to much. But I am right on that line between the 2 flexes, I am a mph or 2 slower then when I was fit for my current and would like a little less weight so decided to go stiff. For these to stay in my bag they need to provide a little more forgiveness while maintaining the constant launch and distance control of my current iron. Also as I am a high ball hitter already, not launch the ball to high. And hey if I get a little more distance I will take it.

It's an interesting 'cv', I'm just a beginner and I must say I now aim to be like you, maybe I wasn't paying attention, how many years are you in golf?

Edited by ireneegonzalez

16 minutes ago, ireneegonzalez said:

It's an interesting 'cv', I'm just a beginner and I must say I now aim to be like you, maybe I wasn't paying attention, how many years are you in golf?

Been playing for 23 years. I was in the industry for about 8 years. I really enjoyed teaching and watching people improve and grow their love for the game. Ultimately I was not very good at the initial sales part of teaching. I would probably be in the industry if club fitting was as much of a thing back then as it is now as I am a huge nerd for that kind of stuff. I wish you the best of luck. Teaching the game can be very rewarding. 

WITB:

Driver: Titleist TSR3 :titleist-small: with TPT Nitro 15Hi 

5 wood: Calloway Paradym Triple Diamond :callaway-small: with TPT Power 15Lo

Driving Iron: Tour Edge Exotics EXS Ti-Utility :tour-edge:

Hybrid: PXG 0317X Gen2 hybrid :PXG: with TPT Power 15Lo

Irons: Takomo 101T :Takomo: with Nippon Modus 120 shafts :Nippon:

Wedges: Celveland RTX4 50 Degree, Calloway Jaws Raw 58 degree Z grind and 54 degree S grind

Putter: Edel EAS 4.0 :edel-golf-1:

Ball: Srixon Z Star Diamond / Z Star XV :srixon-small:

Official 2024 TPT Shaft Test

Congratulations on your selection testers.  Looking forward to it!

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 6 S, 65g Stiff

FW: :titleist-small: TSR2 3w, 15,  :Fuji:Ventus Blue 7 S, 70g Stiff

:taylormade-small: Qi10 7w, 21, :Fuji: Ventus Blue 7 S, 70g Stiff 

Hybrids: :taylormade-small: Stealth DHY 4H, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 8 S, 80g Stiff

Irons: :edel-golf-1: SMS 6, SMS Pro 7-PW, Accra TZ 95 stiff

Wedges: :vokey-small:SM9 48 F Grind, 52 F Grind, 56 M Grind, 60 T Grind, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Putter: :EVNROLL: EV8

Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1

Click here for my Edel SMS & SMS Pro Irons Official Review:edel-golf-1:

• GolfSpy_APH changed the title to 2023 MGS Forum Member Test - Takomo Irons
On 5/9/2023 at 5:14 AM, TylorJudd said:

INTRODUCTION

Good morning everyone! A massive thank you to MGS and Takomo for this testing opportunity first and foremost. My name is Tylor, I am 33 years old and avidly golfing out of the Okanagan Valley. I have played since I was very young, and completely at the age of 12. I am currently playing at a 5.5 index, and am fortunate enough to live where I can golf from February to October/maybe November. I usually hit he range at least once a week and play a different course every weekend. My home course would be Penticton Golf and Country Club but I don't play it that often.

THE MAN BEHIND THE SWING

I am bananas about golf. I took a fairly large hiatus from the game from 2011to 2022 with many things happening there including my wife's undergrad and masters degree, purchasing our first house, moving from 4 different a cities across 2 different provinces, and a workschedule that took me back across those provinces. In January of 2022, I attempted suicide and went through a deep and dark whirlwind of terribleness. As I worked through therapy, changing my outlook, mentality, diet, job, vehicle, just every small aspect of everything about my life, and the last thing that changed was golf came back.... I couldn't be more grateful, and blessed, to have had that opportunity happen. I learned so much and rediscovered golf in a way I never had experienced. Golf slapped me across the face so hard, you'd swear I have 338 dimples on my cheeks. Fun note, I do not drink so this review will be sober always and my golf game purely!

THE SWING BEHIND THE MAN

As for my golf game, my iron play has always been decently solid. I currently play Cleveland TA7 irons I purchased new in 2003, and I only play 6-9. I haven't played 3-5 even before I stopped in 2011. My shot is usually a subtle draw, and my miss is a slight push right. I would consider my irons to be quite consistent but obviously I lack workability due to the type of iron I am playing. I am eagerly waiting to see how I can shape these irons, maybe moreso than my Cleveland's, and really see if my ball striking is at the level I want it to be. I believe I am at the stage in my game where I am ready to step away from my TA7's and improve that aspect with a different set. 

THROW ME SOME DEETS

I am fitted for irons, just not my irons 😛my set up is 2° upright, 1/2" long, with a midsized grip. I will be playing the KBS Tour shaft in the Takomo against my Project X Rifle 6.0 in my Cleveland. This will also be the first time I'm using a Lamkin Crossline, as I prefer Golf Pride MC4. 

I am beyond stoked to see these things of beauty, no bias, but I really believe that DTC brands like Takomo are going to have a massive part to play in golf in the future and this test will hopefully be testament to that. I will throw my V3 tags on the clubs to hopefully pull some better data but we will see. 

I hope I can shed some light on Takomo and more specifically the 301CB's. Feel free to send me a DM if you have any specific questions or concerns and I will do my best to answer those for you!

20220731_192359.jpg

Nice intro Taylor

Edited by ZackS

WITB:

Wedges: Celveland RTX4 50 Degree, Calloway Jaws Raw 58 degree Z grind and 54 degree S grind

Looking forward to seeing the Takomo 101T irons.  Interested to hear if anyone on the MGS forum has tried some of their wedges.

Recently, the Takomo IG Q&A suggested they will start selling other clubs as well.

:titelist-small:  TSR 3  9.0  Autoflex 405x - Official Tester 2024

:titelist-small:  TSi 3  15.0 GD Tour AD - DI 6S Stiff

:ping-small: Utility 2 Iron 18.0 - Nippon NS Pro 650GH Stiff /  :titelist-small: TS3  21 Hybrid Tensei AV Blue 65 HY Stiff

:Takomo:  4 - 9 101T Irons - KBS Tour Lite Stiff - Official Tester 2023

:vokey-small: Vokey SM9 46 F - 10 BV105 Stiff

:vokey-small: Vokey SM9 52 F - 12 Nippon NS Pro 950 Stiff

:vokey-small: Vokey Forged (Japan) 56 M - 10  DG S200

:taylormade-small: MG3 60 - 12 - Nippon NS Modus3 Tour 105 Stiff

image.gif.2bc8a27613a423a3721fd3b955802132.gif  Champions Choice Newport 2+ Button Back - 35”  /  Pistolini Plus

:srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

:titelist-small: Players 4 bag  image.png.939559f85230fe16347ecf2765438915.png    :redrooster:

:Arccos: Official Tester - 2021 & Current Club Sensor User

50 minutes ago, KC Golf said:

Looking forward to seeing the Takomo 101T irons.  Interested to hear if anyone on the MGS forum has tried some of their wedges.

Recently, the Takomo IG Q&A suggested they will start selling other clubs as well.

Takomo has really taken off recently with their social media and well performance and price of clubs. 

I have a friend who has the 101 (lefty) and while they aren't exactly what I would look for there is no question they work and perform well. 

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

Good morning all, waiting patiently (not true, I am impatient by nature) for those beautiful Tacomo irons... played in my 1st individual tournament, 1st round yesterday and can't help but think about putting those 301MB's in the bag. I have reached out to a few of my friends and told them about the irons, one comment was "I can hardly wait to hit them, they look beautiful" if you have a chance check out their website... I am in the same boat my friend... Playing round 2 of the tournament today... nice weather in BC right now so should be fun...

Edited by Jim Shaw

committed to performance excellence

Good morning everyone, well I pulled it off, even without my new irons lol... won the Zone 5 (southern vancouver island) senior men's tournament. Heading to the B.C. Mid Amateur this morning and am looking forward to that as well, have a great day...

IMG_1056.jpeg

52 minutes ago, Jim Shaw said:

Good morning everyone, well I pulled it off, even without my new irons lol... won the Zone 5 (southern vancouver island) senior men's tournament. Heading to the B.C. Mid Amateur this morning and am looking forward to that as well, have a great day...

IMG_1056.jpeg

Congratulations 

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:vice: Irons, Vice VGI01 Mitsubishi Wiz 60-gram regular flex (6 - PW)

:vice: VGW01, 50 Degree. Mitsubishi Wiz 60-gram regular flex, 

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

Putter, Sacks Parente Drac Center Shafted 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

54 minutes ago, Jim Shaw said:

IMG_1056.jpeg

Congratulations!

image.gif.8c4e7fc059ed84f32697400ab27a9c8f.gif
This has been me first thing every morning hoping if will magically make a shipment notice email show up 😆

WITB:

On 5/17/2023 at 4:19 PM, Jim Shaw said:

IMG_1056.jpeg

Congrats Jim!

I like golf. You should like golf. If life is tough, play more golf!

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5, Graphite Design Tour AD-MJ 6x

Titleist TSr3 18 Degree, Graphite Design Tour Ad-DI 7x

Takomo 301CB's, KBS Tours 120S

Vokey SM8 48 10F, 52 08F, 56 08M, 60 08M

Odyssey O-Works Jailbird Mini, Versa Scheme, 17" Fatso 3.0 Grip, 40"

Jazz Tacoma Cart Bag

Titleist Pro V1x

Is it considered a form of self torture that I keep looking a pictures and watching videos about the irons since I don't have them yet? 🤣

WITB:

Takomo getting an excellent placement in the MGS Best Player's Irons article. Its cool to think that this new DTC brand might have some secret sauce in their clubs! Looking forward to seeing is the testers share similar experiences. Scoring very high in accuracy and forgiveness for a players iron is a big deal!

WITB:

Driver: PING G400

3W: Ping G400

3 Utility Iron: Ping G410

5-GW: Cobra Forged Tec (2020) KBS $-Taper 125 x-stiff shafts (Club Champion fitting)

Wedges: 52,56,60 (mixed)

P: Cleveland Frontline 8.0 Wide blade

HCP: 11

6 hours ago, ACalling said:

Takomo getting an excellent placement in the MGS Best Player's Irons article. Its cool to think that this new DTC brand might have some secret sauce in their clubs! Looking forward to seeing is the testers share similar experiences. Scoring very high in accuracy and forgiveness for a players iron is a big deal!

i just read that on my way home from camping... all I can say is "wow" 

9 hours ago, ZackS said:

Is it considered a form of self torture that I keep looking a pictures and watching videos about the irons since I don't have them yet? 🤣

Yes and no. I think it's important to do research on the products you're testing and torturing yourself while you wait to get them in hand. 

10 hours ago, ZackS said:

I am still doing this daily while I wait for my Cobra clubs 🤣

Driver: :titleist-small: GT3 9|Tour AD-UB 6S (testing in progress)

Fairways: :titleist-small: GT2 15 & 18|Tour AD-UB 7S (testing in progress) |:cobra-small: Aerojet Max 7|Kai'Li White 70X

Hybrid: :cobra-small: King TEC 3H|MCA MMT 85g Stiff

Irons: :cobra-small: Aerojet 6-GW|KBS $-taper Lite Stiff

Wedges: :titleist-small: Vokey SM10 52.12F|56.12D|True Temper Vokey Wedge Flex

Putter: :scotty-cameron-1: Super Select Newport 2.0

Ball: :maxfli: Tour & :titleist-small: ProV1

#LeftyGang

Titleist GT Long Game Test (Link Here)

Cobra 50th Anniversary Member Special Challenge (link here)

I check my FedEx and ups accounts twice a day hoping for an alert

What is in my Ghost MGS anyday Maverick or Jones MyGolfSpy bag

Driver:   Callaway Smoke AI TD Max 8.5* with an Aretera Alpha One Blue 55/4 shaft @ 44.75” or GD VF 5s @45”

Fairway: :srixon-small: F85 3 wood with a XPhplexx Agera X @ 42.5”

:srixon-small: F85 5 wood with a UST Elements Chrome 7F5 @ 41.5"

:titleist-small: TSR2 7 wood shaft TBD

Driving Iron: :ping-small: Rapture 2-Iron 

Irons: :taylormade-small: P790 Aged Copper 4-PW with Steelfiber I95 R

Wedges:    :mizuno-small: T22 copper 50* and 54* with Steelfiber 95 S

Putter: :cameron-small: 2024 Phantom 5.5 @ 34”

They say that they ship from Hong Kong.  So hopefully we see the shipping notice soon…

:titelist-small:  TSR 3  9.0  Autoflex 405x - Official Tester 2024

:titelist-small:  TSi 3  15.0 GD Tour AD - DI 6S Stiff

:ping-small: Utility 2 Iron 18.0 - Nippon NS Pro 650GH Stiff /  :titelist-small: TS3  21 Hybrid Tensei AV Blue 65 HY Stiff

:Takomo:  4 - 9 101T Irons - KBS Tour Lite Stiff - Official Tester 2023

:vokey-small: Vokey SM9 46 F - 10 BV105 Stiff

:vokey-small: Vokey SM9 52 F - 12 Nippon NS Pro 950 Stiff

:vokey-small: Vokey Forged (Japan) 56 M - 10  DG S200

:taylormade-small: MG3 60 - 12 - Nippon NS Modus3 Tour 105 Stiff

image.gif.2bc8a27613a423a3721fd3b955802132.gif  Champions Choice Newport 2+ Button Back - 35”  /  Pistolini Plus

:srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

:titelist-small: Players 4 bag  image.png.939559f85230fe16347ecf2765438915.png    :redrooster:

:Arccos: Official Tester - 2021 & Current Club Sensor User

Their order tracking website is done too so I have no way of even trying to check on the status! Lol

I like golf. You should like golf. If life is tough, play more golf!

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5, Graphite Design Tour AD-MJ 6x

Titleist TSr3 18 Degree, Graphite Design Tour Ad-DI 7x

Takomo 301CB's, KBS Tours 120S

Vokey SM8 48 10F, 52 08F, 56 08M, 60 08M

Odyssey O-Works Jailbird Mini, Versa Scheme, 17" Fatso 3.0 Grip, 40"

Jazz Tacoma Cart Bag

Titleist Pro V1x

7 hours ago, TylorJudd said:

Their order tracking website is done too so I have no way of even trying to check on the status! Lol

So it not me getting that. I think I might have broke it checking it I much 🤣

WITB:

after seeing that the Takomo take 3rd in the best player's irons I'm *really* looking forward to these reviews!

at 649 dollars this is an incredible deal.

I'd probably go split set with the 301mb and cb but the price is the same. 

hopefully ya'll get them soon!!

also looks like they must have got the MGS bump! 6-10 weeks... 🤯

Iron 301 Combo Customized $649.00
Currently, the estimated assembly time for custom orders is 6-10 weeks. Some shaft options might take longer due to the long lead times.

image.png.e1a6c77d68ce5a428497da9438bcab28.png

Driver-  Titleist  TSR3 10*
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*
Irons- Titleist 718 AP2 (5i-50*)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Wilson Infinite Grant Park
Ball- Maxfli Tour X
Buggy- Motocaddy M7 GPS Remote Electric Caddy
Bag- Motocaddy Dry-Series

Proudly testing for 2024:

51 minutes ago, StrokerAce said:

after seeing that the Takomo take 3rd in the best player's irons I'm *really* looking forward to these reviews!

at 649 dollars this is an incredible deal.

I'd probably go split set with the 301mb and cb but the price is the same. 

hopefully ya'll get them soon!!

also looks like they must have got the MGS bump! 6-10 weeks... 🤯

Iron 301 Combo Customized $649.00
Currently, the estimated assembly time for custom orders is 6-10 weeks. Some shaft options might take longer due to the long lead times.

image.png.e1a6c77d68ce5a428497da9438bcab28.png

I am really looking forward to getting them...

I got to test Takomos today in Trackman simulator in Helsinki. I had my own Wilson FG Tour forged v2 7i with me to compare. The blade is almost identical on FG Tour, 201 and 301CB. Including offset (probably slight differences, but so small that it's hard to tell by eye). 201 had regular carbon shafts, so it's hard to tell how different they're from 301CB as they had stiff steels (like my FGs, KBS Tour). Tried 101T too, and it was about 10m longer, but I don't need that (it would mean I'd have to ditch 4i and get a new wedge). It was easy to hit, but it doesn't save fat shots, so it's not a magic wand 😆

Overall, the 301CB felt the best. I'll probably pull the trigger on these soon. Have to figure out whether I'll get a split set as I tried 301MB 8i too. It went the "right" distance, but a miss hit lost a lot. Probably better to stay safe and take a full CB set.

WITB: TaylorMade M2 driver (2017), Adams Tightlies 16deg fw, Wilson Staff 21deg hybrid, 4-PW Wilson FG Tour Forged V2 irons, Rommy Armour 52 and 60 deg, Wilson Staff 56deg, Seemore putter.

Starting the 2023 season with a 28.4 HCP. 

18 minutes ago, Garbox80 said:

I got to test Takomos today in Trackman simulator in Helsinki. I had my own Wilson FG Tour forged v2 7i with me to compare. The blade is almost identical on FG Tour, 201 and 301CB. Including offset (probably slight differences, but so small that it's hard to tell by eye). 201 had regular carbon shafts, so it's hard to tell how different they're from 301CB as they had stiff steels (like my FGs, KBS Tour). Tried 101T too, and it was about 10m longer, but I don't need that (it would mean I'd have to ditch 4i and get a new wedge). It was easy to hit, but it doesn't save fat shots, so it's not a magic wand 😆

Overall, the 301CB felt the best. I'll probably pull the trigger on these soon. Have to figure out whether I'll get a split set as I tried 301MB 8i too. It went the "right" distance, but a miss hit lost a lot. Probably better to stay safe and take a full CB set.

can you tell me a bit more about the 301MB? did you just try the 8i? 

8 hours ago, Jim Shaw said:

can you tell me a bit more about the 301MB? did you just try the 8i? 

Yeah, and only for 5 shots or so (I did my test rounds +warm up round first, so there wasn't much time left, MB wasn't originally even in my consideration). Good strikes were amazing and less optimal ones lost quite a bit of distance, as expected. It didn't feel too hard to hit though and that's why I started to think if I should get a split set after all, as I think I could use those quite nicely once I get some consistency.

WITB: TaylorMade M2 driver (2017), Adams Tightlies 16deg fw, Wilson Staff 21deg hybrid, 4-PW Wilson FG Tour Forged V2 irons, Rommy Armour 52 and 60 deg, Wilson Staff 56deg, Seemore putter.

Starting the 2023 season with a 28.4 HCP. 

8 hours ago, Garbox80 said:

Yeah, and only for 5 shots or so (I did my test rounds +warm up round first, so there wasn't much time left, MB wasn't originally even in my consideration). Good strikes were amazing and less optimal ones lost quite a bit of distance, as expected. It didn't feel too hard to hit though and that's why I started to think if I should get a split set after all, as I think I could use those quite nicely once I get some consistency.

thanks...

Still no shipping notificationimage.gif.f3e9865670917bb2b1e72929979774e3.gif

WITB:

Hi everyone, just a quick update on my conversations with golfers I have bumped into about Tacomo irons, usually I start the conversation "are you familiar with "mygolfspy" forums? I would say at least 60% are familiar with it and one golfer in particular participates in conversations, most check on the site for reviews etc. 

Then I seque to my opportunity to test the irons and almost 75% go directly to their site and take a look at them, they, as well as I, are very much looking forward to being able to take the irons on the road with me this summer to work on getting them into my bag, I am sure I will get lots of feedback.

It has been great to see feedback on "youtube" and that "mygolfspy" ranked my irons as the 3rd best "players" irons on the market. 

Another interesting thing to me is that I am looking more closely at other premier players irons and what they are playing, yesterday I saw one of my oponents chipping with a beautiful iron, went over and checked his bag and he had older titleist MB's. they looked like they had been refinished.