Testers Wanted! T Squared Putters ×

Ball Fitting - Where did they come from, where did they go?

Might be a bit of a silly question, but does anybody find it odd that ball fittings aren't advertised more?

You're always hitting the same ball regardless of club, could argue its the single most important piece of equipment you own.

Is the general idea that when you get fitted for clubs your fitter should give you some guidance on clubs or?

Taylormade Stealth Plus Driver 9, Oban Devotion 45-03 | Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 3 + 5 Wood, Oban Revenge 65-03 | Mizuno HiFli 16.5 2 Iron | Titleist T200 4-GW Irons, KBS Tour 110 R | Titleist Vokey Design SM9 Chrome SW & LW (54/12D, 60/12D) | Odyssey Versa Seven Putter  Titleist Pro V1x | Srixon Tour Staff Bag The Open Staff Bag 2022 | Clicgear Model 4.0 Buggy | Bushnell Tour V6 Shift Rangefinder | Golf Pride MCC ALIGN (Standard) Grips |

Don’t assume everyone is hitting the same ball on every shot. You will read many posts about people having multiple different balls they play in a round. You will also read about people playing found balls, refurbished balls, buying balls from places like lostgolfballs.

Some golfers buy whatever’s on sale or prefer to not pay for tour level balls. They don’t think the ball is that important, you can read posts on here about members not seeing a difference between balls.

As for the ball fittings my guess is that they weren’t very popular and other than titleist the oems have moved away from doing ball specific fittings.

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

I know that Callaway, Bridgestone, Titleist and Srixon offer ball fitting online, at least helping to determine which of their balls is best for you. Ping, since they do not offer their own ball, has  "Ballnamic" which offers ball fitting that is brand independent. 

In my TaylorMade Supreme Golf Bag:
Driver:  PXG Gen 6 0311 10.5° with Motore X F3 R Shaft 45"
3W:  Callaway 3W Mavrik Max w/ UST Helium Black 4F2
5W: Callaway Epic Flash (+1/N) w/ Project X Evenflow Green R Flex
Hybrid:  Callaway Big Bertha 4H (+1/N) w/ UST Recoil 760 ES F2
Irons: Callaway Apex CF19 with UST Recoil F2 shafts
Wedges: Callaway MD5 54° and 58° with KBS steel shafts.
Putter:  Seemore Original FGP Mallet or Toulon Portland
Ball:  Currently Bridgestone Tour B RX Mindset

10 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Don’t assume everyone is hitting the same ball on every shot. You will read many posts about people having multiple different balls they play in a round. You will also read about people playing found balls, refurbished balls, buying balls from places like lostgolfballs.

Some golfers buy whatever’s on sale or prefer to not pay for tour level balls. They don’t think the ball is that important, you can read posts on here about members not seeing a difference between balls.

As for the ball fittings my guess is that they weren’t very popular and other than titleist the oems have moved away from doing ball specific fittings.

Certainly don't assume that - but I'd guess that most members on this site would be interested in testing lots of balls to find the one that suits their equipment. Funny that we as golfers turn our nose up at $85 AUD balls but are happy to shell out $1000 AUD plus for a driver.

10 hours ago, PhilM75072 said:

I know that Callaway, Bridgestone, Titleist and Srixon offer ball fitting online, at least helping to determine which of their balls is best for you. Ping, since they do not offer their own ball, has  "Ballnamic" which offers ball fitting that is brand independent. 

Yes they certainly do - good tools, but I'd love to go hit some.

Taylormade Stealth Plus Driver 9, Oban Devotion 45-03 | Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 3 + 5 Wood, Oban Revenge 65-03 | Mizuno HiFli 16.5 2 Iron | Titleist T200 4-GW Irons, KBS Tour 110 R | Titleist Vokey Design SM9 Chrome SW & LW (54/12D, 60/12D) | Odyssey Versa Seven Putter  Titleist Pro V1x | Srixon Tour Staff Bag The Open Staff Bag 2022 | Clicgear Model 4.0 Buggy | Bushnell Tour V6 Shift Rangefinder | Golf Pride MCC ALIGN (Standard) Grips |

17 hours ago, stratgolf said:

Might be a bit of a silly question, but does anybody find it odd that ball fittings aren't advertised more?

You're always hitting the same ball regardless of club, could argue its the single most important piece of equipment you own.

Is the general idea that when you get fitted for clubs your fitter should give you some guidance on clubs or?

Not a silly question.   I think your answer will depend on the knowledge level of the golfer.   The overwhelming majority of golfers walk into a store and buy off the rack or what is hot on the PGA tour (re:  Odyssey Versa putter).  Ball is primarily going to be Prov1 or Callaway for this golfer or the cheapest they can find (since they lose a lot).     

If you follow the forum you will see that there are knowledgeable golfers that play 2 piece distance balls because through experimentation they feel they work best.   I have experimented with balls and based on my club assessments know that I generally need a higher spinning ball.  I can leverage the MGS ball test to find balls that match what I am looking for.   

The question is what is a "good" ball fitting, how does it work, and where can it be done in a way that is accessible to many.  I have done some of the online fittings, I did the bridgestone fittings where you hit clubs and they tell you what works, and I have heard about the Titleist ball fitting process focused around short game needs.   

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :touredgeexotics: XCG7 Beta 15*  w/Fujikura Fuel
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I love me a good ball fitting.  But the main blog really did such great job with their semi annual ball test that you can basically use it to find a ball with the launch / spin you want: https://mygolfspy.com/buyers-guides/golf-balls/best-golf-balls-2021/

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: SIM2 Max 12° - Accra TZ6 M4

FW Wood:     th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg Gen5 0311 7w  Fujikura Motore X F3

Irons:   :srixon-small: ZX7 PW-7i, ZX5 6i-5i

Wedges: :cleveland-small:  Zipcore 50°, 58°

Putter:   :taylormade-small: MySpider X

Cart: image.png.5aa5e9b8c0d6e08a2b12be76a06a07ca.pngOnewheel XR+

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond/ Z-Star XV

18 minutes ago, Thin2win said:

I love me a good ball fitting.  But the main blog really did such great job with their semi annual ball test that you can basically use it to find a ball with the launch / spin you want: https://mygolfspy.com/buyers-guides/golf-balls/best-golf-balls-2021/

Holding out for the ball article dropping soon!

53 minutes ago, cnosil said:

Not a silly question.   I think your answer will depend on the knowledge level of the golfer.   The overwhelming majority of golfers walk into a store and buy off the rack or what is hot on the PGA tour (re:  Odyssey Versa putter).  Ball is primarily going to be Prov1 or Callaway for this golfer or the cheapest they can find (since they lose a lot).     

If you follow the forum you will see that there are knowledgeable golfers that play 2 piece distance balls because through experimentation they feel they work best.   I have experimented with balls and based on my club assessments know that I generally need a higher spinning ball.  I can leverage the MGS ball test to find balls that match what I am looking for.   

The question is what is a "good" ball fitting, how does it work, and where can it be done in a way that is accessible to many.  I have done some of the online fittings, I did the bridgestone fittings where you hit clubs and they tell you what works, and I have heard about the Titleist ball fitting process focused around short game needs.   

Interesting - thanks for your thoughts.

I would agree with @cnosil, the balls fit into the off the rack purchase and retailers love uninformed consumers. Club fittings are still not widespread across the industry, and surely the ball will follow slowly behind clubs.

I like golf. You should like golf. If life is tough, play more golf!

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5, Graphite Design Tour AD-MJ 6x

Titleist TSr3 18 Degree, Graphite Design Tour Ad-DI 7x

Takomo 301CB's, KBS Tours 120S

Vokey SM8 48 10F, 52 08F, 56 08M, 60 08M

Odyssey O-Works Jailbird Mini, Versa Scheme, 17" Fatso 3.0 Grip, 40"

Jazz Tacoma Cart Bag

Titleist Pro V1x

Perhaps its because I live in Florida where OEM reps love to roam in the later winter/early spring but there are ball fittings galore here.  What is very difficult to find is an agnostic ball fitting - one where the fitter will try and find the best ball for a players game.

Also there is a lot of argument about what's most important in a ball.  I'd say the most important thing is to pick one and play that one exclusively.  You can adapt the shots that you hit to the ball that you are playing so long as it's consistent.  It's even better if the ball fits your game but if you are at least using the same ball all the time you will be better off in the long run.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD