Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Golf specific workouts?

Looking for some golf specific workouts.  Last year I spent a year trying to do golf forever.  Although some of the workouts were fantastic.  A lot of them were way to time consuming for very little calorie burn.  I’ve started doing p90x3 (30 minute p90x). I’m five weeks in, it’s pretty good.  I still use the golf forever swing trainer, which is great.  I’m looking for some workouts that give a good calorie burn along with golf specific moves that have some cohesion.  Golf forever seemed to just be all over the place with no calorie burn. Anyone have any suggestions?

🙃

Check out Fit For Golf!

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

I joined HWPO Golf when it launched and followed it for a few months over last winter through to spring. I really enjoyed it and found it a good balance of strength, speed and core/ rotational work. I threw in bodyweight mobility work and yoga to help with flexibility and age-related deterioration (I turn 50 next year). I needed to improve range of motion and I wanted to increase swing speed and control. My club speed definitely increased with a feeling of good control.

I've followed functional fitness, weight training and sandbag workouts for years, so this wasn't too much of a switch-up. There was talk of two or more levels of HWPO Golf going forward- one as an intro and general level for those that don't want too much crossfit type stuff, then an advanced one for the crossfitter golfers. Not sure where that program is now. There is a 2-week free trial, so you could join for that, get your two weeks worth of workouts, cancel subscription and just use those for a while. Website: https://www.hwpotraining.com/programs/hwpo-golf

Example workout from above website: image.png.560f6ba4bb8566de286e9b3de4e24c61.png

Edited by Indy_Oz

2024 WITB:

:ping-small: G430 LST 9* (set at 10*) w. Mitsubishi Kai'Li White 60X

:titleist-small:TSR2 15* w. Mitsubishi Tensei White 75X

:taylormade-small:Stealth+ 3H (@18.5* flat) w. :projectx: Hzrdus Smoke RDX Red 80/6.5

:callaway-small:Rogue ST Max 21* 7-wood w. Mitsubishi Tensei Blue stiff/ or/ :taylormade-small:Stealth2+ 4H (@22* flat) w.Mitsubishi Kai'Li White 80X

:taylormade-small:Irons: 5i-9i: '19 P790; P- '23 P7MC w. :kbs: Tour C-Taper Lite 115X

:taylormade-small:Wedges 50/09 MG3; 56/12 MG3TW; 60/11 MG2TW

Putter- :odyssey-small: Toulon Design Memphis, 2019 model [Backup: Sik DW C 2.0]

Ball: :taylormade-small: TP5x/ TP5xPix -or- :callaway-small: Chrome Tour [see ball test link below] (also testing :bridgestone-small: Tour BX Mindset)

Other: :Arccos:. Gogogo Sport V-Pro rangefinder. :taylormade-small: Select Plus stand bag. :BagBoy: Nitron push cart.

On 11/12/2023 at 8:23 AM, GolfSpy_APH said:

Check out Fit For Golf!

I'd second this. Mike (owner) has loaded heaps of different workout progressions that take into account what you want to achieve as well as you starting point. The app also schedules when you do your workouts and reminds you of them, tracks the weights and reps you did, and all sorts of other features. It's a first rate, golf-specific fitness app.

I use it daily.

Cobra F9 9.5° (Hzrdus Yellow X)

Cobra Speedzone 15° (Tensei Blue X)

Srixon H85 19° (Hzrdus Black 85 6.0)

Mizuno MP20 MMC 4-PW (KBS $ Taper 120S)

Mizuno T20 51°, 55°, 59° (KBS $ Taper 120S)

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 34"

Srixon ZStar

I'll also put in a plug for Fit for Golf. I've been using it for almost a year now and it's great for building strength, especially as it relates to the golf swing. The only caveat I'll put out there is that it does not have a cardio element (or at least, not one I've found) and so I'm not sure how well it fits what you are wanting. That said, it's easy enough to lift one day and go for a run the next day. 

As @Blueberry_Squishie noted, the app is great, with numerous programs that are aimed at different objectives. Having the workouts on my calendar and having all the data tracked has made it a lot easier for me to stick with it. 

Edited by EMJL

Driver:  Callaway Mavrik 10.5->9.5, Paderson KinetiXX Launch R

Wood:  Callaway Mavrik 3, Paderson KinetiXX Launch R 

Hybrid: Callaway Mavrik 4H, Graphite Design Tour AD R

Irons:    Miura CB301, 5-gw, Aerotech Steelfiber I95 R

Wedge: Vokey SM8 54 and 58, 12 bounce, D grind, Shimada tour black

Putter:  Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

Deadlifts and power/hang cleans have the most carryover to golf swing speed, excluding overspeed swing training, if that's what you're going for.  If you're comfortable doing those with proper form and can accommodate a barbell wherever you're working out, they would be your best bang for the buck in terms of burning calories and improving power in short workouts.

They are anaerobic exercises, so the calorie burn comes during muscle recovery more so than during the lifts; vs. P90x being more aerobic focused.  You could alternate days and do both.

Power/hang cleans don't come with much injury risk as long as you're using your legs and hips.  If you're worried about hurting your back doing deadlifts, a hex/trap bar allows you to do a version much less stressful on the back while brining quads into the lift.

• 2 months later...
On 11/11/2023 at 3:37 PM, Owengeorge13 said:

Thanks, it looks promising.  Have you used this app?

I've been using it for about 18 mos. now. I can assure you Fit4Golf is a great program. The owner is revising it now, with a launch of the new product some time this month. I'm excited about the new version. This is the second Golf Fitness Subscription I've used. The first one was good; this one is far superior. It's worth the purchase price & the owner frequently offers 20% promos. To get the most out of it, you should belong to a gym with variety of equipment. I use free weights, Olympic Weights, a couple Functional Trainer stations, Kettlebells, Med Balls and Bands. A good solid workout takes about 45 min -1 hour including the warmup phase. 2 - 3 times a week does it for me.

Edited by JalanK
additional info added

Any kettlebell workout is great for functional strength and mobility which should directly translate. This guy has pretty good kettlebell workouts https://www.youtube.com/@GOLFWOD

FWIW I think anything that encourages rotational movement and ballistic movement will help.  For example I used to box when I was younger. Interestingly enough to this day if I do a heavy bag or focus mitt workout in the AM and golf in the afternoon my ball striking is noticeably better.  My guess is its the rotational force and use of legs and hip turns to to create punching power  that loosens me up for the day. 

I actually finished p90x3 and I’ve moved onto LiiFt4 on the BODI app.  I purchased a year subscription.  It’s packed full of different instructors with different plans and blocks.  P90x3 was pretty good.  I need cohesiveness with my workouts.  I was making poor gains just meddling into this or that.  I’ve run three marathons, so I fall into just running a quick 5k when crunched for time.  Sticking with a “90 day workout” has been a blessing.

Edited by Owengeorge13

🙃

14 minutes ago, PeterCL said:

If you did P90X3 you should try 6/45, its great for golf. I see elements of it in every golf firness ad I come across.

I did a couple of 6(45) workouts.  I plan on doing that block after I’m done with LiiFT 4, 645 has a great stretch routine at the beginning.  

🙃