Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Are non-major golf tournaments diluted going forward?

higherplane

With John Rahm, Smith, Kopeka, DeChambeau on one tour and Scheffler, McIlroy, Hovland, Schauffele, Cantlay on another (2023 majors 2 each).  We have reached the point of significantly lesser fields in the Pro golf across the world.   Hopefully this doesn't effect the quality of viewership.             

Driver - 2023 Callaway Paradym 9.0, 3 Wood -2022 Rogue ST Max, 3 Hybrid Mavrik, 2017 X-forged 4-PW, Wedges Callaway 50-56-60, Putter Odyssey Toulon Chicago     

https://mygolfspy.com/news-opinion/as-pga-tour-liv-saga-endures-fan-frustration-is-turning-into-apathy/

I think this article sums it up. 

Many golfers and viewers (myself included) are just exhausted from it all and have little reason or excitement to watch golf outside of youtube golf at this point. Majors excluded. 

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

I don't watch any outside of majors and all the mess going on, even those are in question. 

:callaway-small: Paradym TD Driver w/ Ventus Blue 6S

:ping-small: 3W

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 5's (4-6) w/ KBS Tour V

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 7's (7-PW) w/ KBS Tour V

:titleist-small: Vokey Wedges 50* 54* 58*

:L.A.B.: DF2.1 Putter

The only one that I really enjoy is The Masters and that's mostly due to the fact they have very few commercials.

Driver: :titelist-small: TSI3 - 10*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus - 10.5*, Oban Kiyoshi Purple O4Flex-65 Grams Purred
3 Wood: :taylormade-small: SIM - 15*, Graphite Design Tour AD DJ5 Stiff
Hybrid: :titelist-small: TS3 - 19*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff
Irons: :titelist-small:  5 - PW T150, with Nippon Zelos 7 Reg, 4 iron - U505 with Project X HZRDUS Black Stiff

Wedges: :titelist-small: Vokey SM 8 - 50*, 60* Standard Wedge Shafts

Wedge: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 MG3 56* S200 shaft

Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Studio Select Newport 1.5        
Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Phantom X 5.5
Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1x

I would disagree. If all you want is entertainment value then sure, go the way of YouTube or other social media outlets. But enjoy watching sports. Golf has always been a bit dull and makes for a great Sunday nap. And yes, the LIV vs. PGA soap opera is boring and played out. All I want to watch is high caliber golf. DPWT, PGAT, LET, LPGAT or majors, all of it is still enjoyable to watch but until the soap opera ends, I will play more than watch on the weekends. 

Driver:  cobralogo.png.60692cdc05482efd83e68664e010b95f.png Aerojet LS, Ventus Blue Shaft - 6S
4 Wood:  callaway.png.e65d398fb0327017a369499fc6126064.png Rogue ST Max 16.5, Tensei White Shaft - 7S
Utility Iron: mizunopro.png.90cc4fb9895830e28063d9a5be416145.png Fli Hi 3-iron, HAZARDOUS Smoke Black Shaft - S
Irons:  mizuno.png.f0e7b21135cb6273b3c1430866904467.png JPX 921 Tour 4-P, Project X Shafts - Stiff 125g
Wedges: cleveland.png.f21f4d2361520fdf1bbd9d515a2f11e6.png 52º, 56º, 60º
Putter:  odyssey.png.58c727e37eb7efda62bce4f7b8881bd9.png Ai-One 7 T CH, 34"
Preferred Ball: srixon.png.f177578dda27a20ef80a0a8b1ae96e3b.png Z-Star Diamond
Pushcart: bagboy.jpg.0dda53b5175958e1b5686f22b90af744.jpg Nitron
Rangefinder: bushnell.jpg.c51debd06066fa243dea7f14d69a8dba.jpg Tour V5 Shift

Most of those guys still have exemptions so they will be at the majors.

The excitement is there for certain players when they are in the field, but the excitement of golf comes from drama on the course. Tight leaderboard on Sundays, changing of the leader throughout the round on Sat and Sunday.

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

1 hour ago, GaDawg said:

The only one that I really enjoy is The Masters and that's mostly due to the fact they have very few commercials.

I use their app. On phone, tablet, and tv.  Pick my camera views on each and enjoy all I can

I really started to enjoy watching the LPGA and DPWT events recently.  If I'm not tied into anything,  or am doing casual honey do lists inside, I'll put on whatever is playing. LiV started down the path of their own stream service, but is also trying to maintain their current viewing contracts.  Even talks of YT subscriptions. 

The majors are great, but the Korn Ferry tours have been getting some traction too. I'm looking forward to the new up and coming players. Some have actice YT And IG channels, some dont.

WITB-Foremost 551's - 3w, 5w, 5-SW (circa 1998), Top Flite 460cc Driver, Adam's 7w, Warrior GW and 60⁰, Odyssey AI-One DB putter.

Just an old newbie golfer, trying to learn and improve 1 club at a time.

5 hours ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

https://mygolfspy.com/news-opinion/as-pga-tour-liv-saga-endures-fan-frustration-is-turning-into-apathy/

I think this article sums it up. 

Many golfers and viewers (myself included) are just exhausted from it all and have little reason or excitement to watch golf outside of youtube golf at this point. Majors excluded. 

I am wondering about the dilution as well, nothing new in golf, trying to get the name players to play in every event.

I believe once the merger is complete and we see what the commitments by the best players in the world are, then we will have a better idea however am I going to watch Patrick Cantlay at the "bob hope desert classic" probably because I love watching Pros play some of the courses I have played, or the Waste Management in Phoenix, yeah probably as I am not playing much in the winter but the average golfer maybe not. 

Lots of interesting things coming down the pipe I am sure...

committed to performance excellence

2 hours ago, Jim Shaw said:

I am wondering about the dilution as well, nothing new in golf, trying to get the name players to play in every event.

I believe once the merger is complete and we see what the commitments by the best players in the world are, then we will have a better idea however am I going to watch Patrick Cantlay at the "bob hope desert classic" probably because I love watching Pros play some of the courses I have played, or the Waste Management in Phoenix, yeah probably as I am not playing much in the winter but the average golfer maybe not. 

Lots of interesting things coming down the pipe I am sure...

I'm on the wake me up when we get there phase of a long road trip. Tired of playing games, don't want to listen to the radio or read a book. Just let me sleep till it's over and we get there. 

Truly it has all killed every little bit of joy I had watching golf. The majors will always be good to great, but the rest is the pure definition of optional viewing. Between commercial loads, bad timing (that's a me thing) and so many of the good story lines been taken away and focus being on the two leagues and their nonsense I'm out. 

T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

I think that I have officially hit the point where majors are the only tournaments that I have interest in watching. The drama of the division has definitely taken away any real interest that I’ve had in watching some of the other tournaments. There are still great players on the PGA Tour and I may tune in here and there but not as much as I used to. 

:titleist-small: TSi3 10° w/ Mitsubishi Tensei 1K Black 65g

:titleist-small: TS2 15° 3W w/ Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 6.0 70g

:titleist-small: 818 H1 21° Hybrid w/ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Blue 70g

:mizuno-small: MP-18 MMC 2 iron w/ KBS Tour C-Taper S 120g

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 HM 5-GW w/ Project X LZ 5.5 115g

:Sub70: JB Forged 54° & 58° w/ Project X LZ 6.0 120g

:EVNROLL: EV5.3 Black

Since I have ESPN+, I enjoy watching the regular events on Thursdays and Fridays, and not so much on the weekends unless it is a major event.

Driver: Ping G430 SFT 10.5

Fairway Woods: Ping SFT G425 3-5-7

Irons;    Ping 425 4-LW

Putter:  Ping Sigma2 Anser Platinum

Odyssey Tour#1 White Hot 

Ball:      Titleist Tour Speed

Bag:      Titleist

11 hours ago, GaDawg said:

I agree, so many sporting events have crossed from entertainment to brief interludes between commercials.
I'd much rather watch 10-20 minute highlights recapping an event than waste hours being subjected to the same ad countless times.

Although I am partial to creative football ads like the Heismann House or wayback to the Reebok Terry Tate office linebacker

zR0D5.jpeg

Driver/3H :callaway-small: Mavrik 22
5H/SW: :callaway-small:Edge 
5-PW: :macgregor-small: MT-86 OS
56/60: Kirkland Signature 
Putter: :odyssey-small: White Hot Pro

42 minutes ago, ZJeb67 said:

creative football ads

In the argument for , the GREATEST ADS of ALL TIME!!!

Driver: Cobra King Speedzone

Irons:  :callaway-small: Mavrik 4-GW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CG-14 56 & RTX 52

Hybrid:  Callaway Apex Pro 2H 

Woods:  Gigagolf  3W, 

Putter:  Ping  Scottsdale Wolverine

Ball:  Srixon Z-Star XV 

Being honest, I find myself watching less and less golf.  I used to watch almost every tournament.  The break up I think has diluted the viewing.  I really don't care to watch anyone left on the PGA with the exception of Finau.  If he is not contending, nobody left strikes my fancy.  Most of the players I like are on the LIV, but the shotgun start, prevents watching someone teeing off last, and trying to win, so I do find it a little broken up to watch.

Hopefully the powers that be will come up with something to make week to week viewership, more engaging.

Like many, I am down to watching, the Masters, US Open,  Waste Management, and the Magical Kenya Open(because I went there on vacation).  But as I have gotten older(57 not really that old), it may not really be about the golf quality or dispute at all.  I try to spend as little time watching tv as I can, and get our and "actually do" something.

Driver: Cobra King Speedzone

Irons:  :callaway-small: Mavrik 4-GW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CG-14 56 & RTX 52

Hybrid:  Callaway Apex Pro 2H 

Woods:  Gigagolf  3W, 

Putter:  Ping  Scottsdale Wolverine

Ball:  Srixon Z-Star XV 

6 hours ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

Truly it has all killed every little bit of joy I had watching golf. The majors will always be good to great, but the rest is the pure definition of optional viewing. Between commercial loads, bad timing (that's a me thing) and so many of the good story lines been taken away and focus being on the two leagues and their nonsense I'm out. 

I agree wholeheartedly about too much being made about the drama between the two tours. It is definitely harder to watch without all the names at every event but I have found enjoyment watching the rookies try to make a name for themselves as well. 

Driver:  cobralogo.png.60692cdc05482efd83e68664e010b95f.png Aerojet LS, Ventus Blue Shaft - 6S
4 Wood:  callaway.png.e65d398fb0327017a369499fc6126064.png Rogue ST Max 16.5, Tensei White Shaft - 7S
Utility Iron: mizunopro.png.90cc4fb9895830e28063d9a5be416145.png Fli Hi 3-iron, HAZARDOUS Smoke Black Shaft - S
Irons:  mizuno.png.f0e7b21135cb6273b3c1430866904467.png JPX 921 Tour 4-P, Project X Shafts - Stiff 125g

8 hours ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

I'm on the wake me up when we get there phase of a long road trip. Tired of playing games, don't want to listen to the radio or read a book. Just let me sleep till it's over and we get there. 

i totally understand, and thanks for sharing those thoughts.

Off topic a bit but i had a meeting with my swing coach last week, kind of a year end wrap-up. 

He toured on the Canadian Tour in the 90's and I mentioned "burn out" to him. I am feeling a bit burnt out from focusing so much on my game the last 8 years, full tilt. 

For me I think it is a bit of "the time of year, and all the noise going on with professional golf, and having a C+ year in competition". 

I still enjoy watching and learning golf on television, I really enjoyed watching the PNC with Tiger, watching his swing, he always calms down my rhythm. And his interaction with Lee Trevino gives me hope that this great game is still intact. Can you imaging the GOAT taking to the time to see Lee on the range? So special to me. 

I had a fun day on the course yesterday, playing twice more this week then take 2 weeks off over the holidays, recharge the batteries a bit..

19 hours ago, higherplane said:

With John Rahm, Smith, Kopeka, DeChambeau on one tour and Scheffler, McIlroy, Hovland, Schauffele, Cantlay on another (2023 majors 2 each).  We have reached the point of significantly lesser fields in the Pro golf across the world.   Hopefully this doesn't effect the quality of viewership.             

It already has affected MY viewing of PGA Tour golf events, to the point that I no longer watch the PGA Tour on TV (I wasn't the biggest viewer, but I watched a bit of the non-Major event broadcasts).  I watch some of the major event broadcasts, but far from every minute (and I don't record events for later viewing).  The Open Championship gets the largest percentage of my major golf viewing time, followed by the Masters.  Course setup for the U.S. Open has made a joke of that tournament, so I do not really find it to be enjoyable to watch that event very much, and the PGA Championship is "just OK", so if I have anything else that I could be doing when that event is being telecast, chances are I will not be watching it.

DR - Callaway Paradym AI Smoke TD, Newton Motion 4-Dot

4W - Callaway Paradym 3HL, Newton Motion Fairway shaft, 4-Dot

HYB - Paradym X 18*, HZRDUS Smoke Red 80S; Sub 70 949X 21*, same shaft

7W (if played) - Sub 70 849, ProForce Black 80-S

Irons - Callaway Paradym, HZRDUS Silver Gen 4, S-flex

Wedges - Edison 2.0, 53* and 57* (bent to 58*), KBS TGI 100

Putter - (currently in flux, but usually an Evnroll 8V

Ball - Maxfli Tour-X CG (2023)

Bags - Ghost Golf Maverick Black Ops

Cart - MotoCaddy M7 Remote (without the remote)

Spoiler

driver / off the tee is no longer a weakness for me!

10 hours ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

I'm with you there, Jamie!

DR - Callaway Paradym AI Smoke TD, Newton Motion 4-Dot

4W - Callaway Paradym 3HL, Newton Motion Fairway shaft, 4-Dot

HYB - Paradym X 18*, HZRDUS Smoke Red 80S; Sub 70 949X 21*, same shaft

7W (if played) - Sub 70 849, ProForce Black 80-S

Irons - Callaway Paradym, HZRDUS Silver Gen 4, S-flex

Wedges - Edison 2.0, 53* and 57* (bent to 58*), KBS TGI 100

Putter - (currently in flux, but usually an Evnroll 8V

Ball - Maxfli Tour-X CG (2023)

Bags - Ghost Golf Maverick Black Ops

Cart - MotoCaddy M7 Remote (without the remote)

Spoiler

driver / off the tee is no longer a weakness for me!

Maybe it's a bit sideways off topic, but I enjoyed watching the amateur championships too.  Talk about emotional Rollercoasters

WITB-Foremost 551's - 3w, 5w, 5-SW (circa 1998), Top Flite 460cc Driver, Adam's 7w, Warrior GW and 60⁰, Odyssey AI-One DB putter.

Just an old newbie golfer, trying to learn and improve 1 club at a time.

19 hours ago, higherplane said:

Short answer to your thread title question, yes.  

I'll continue to watch whatever tour events are available through my programming package; which will be a mix of LPGA, CT, KF, DP, NCAA, and PGAT.  For the most part I have it on as background entertainment when on the forum or doing other computer work.  The vast majority of other programs give me a headache and make my eyes and ears bleed... thus far, golf has not reached that level of non value... but they seem to be working hard at giving hollywood a run for its money.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Official Review)

I was kind of hoping a new major would develop out of the mud. There's probably a greater case now to have another major outside of the US (take your pick where) and an 'open' format would be favourable as well. The whole west coast swing thing is a snooze fest as far as I'm concerned.

Edited by jaskanski

On 12/24/2023 at 6:58 AM, jaskanski said:

I was kind of hoping a new major would develop out of the mud. There's probably a greater case now to have another major outside of the US (take your pick where) and an 'open' format would be favourable as well. The whole west coast swing thing is a snooze fest as far as I'm concerned.

im not against that idea, problem is if there is a 5th major it would probably default to Sawgrass, but you are right, one outside the US would be more intriguing for me as well...

On 12/19/2023 at 1:50 AM, GolfSpy_APH said:

+1. I’m beyond tired of the drama. I’ll always watch The Masters, the US Open and The Players but the rest is optional. Where I used to block out time to watch many other tournaments, I don’t anymore, I can find plenty to do. If I have nothing to do, I’m as likely to watch the LPGA as the PGA - I have yet to watch any LIV event, other than a 10 minute sample in their first year and I don’t see that changing. I don’t blame the defectors for grabbing the money (honestly glad to see many of them go other than Cam Smith and Rahm), but I’m not interested in their product.

Edited by Middler
  • Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, Payntr X 001 F (Mesh)

1 minute ago, Middler said:

+1. I’m beyond tired of the drama. I’ll watch majors and The Players but the rest is optional. Where I used to block out time to watch other tournaments, I don’t anymore, I can find plenty to do. If I have nothing to do, I’m as likely to watch the LPGA as the PGA - I have yet to watch any LIV event, other than a 10 minute sample in their first year and I don’t see that changing.

That's where this all gets a little scary for the tours. When the viewing is bad and ppl are tied is it, it then becomes very optional. I'll get up at 2am to watch an F1 race. Mainly because there are only 22 races per season. Football used to be the same way. There are only 20 weeks or so with payoffs. 

There is too much golf, too many commercials that outside of the majors and maybe a handful of others it doesn't seem special or enticing. Not too mention Thursday and Friday coverage is usually borderline unwatchable. 

Something big needs to change to get interest back for many and that doesn't seem to be happening anytime this season. 

T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

I think if LIV gets a real TV audience the PGA regular tour events that go up against it will be tough sledding. This is on top of other programming in various major sports competing for eyes every weekend will make it tough. 

It’s really too bad for regular PGA tour events since they are great charity events for local communities and have long traditions in many cases. 

:titelist-small:  TSR 3   9.0  GD Tour AD - DI 6S Stiff

:titelist-small:  TSi 3  15.0 GD Tour AD - DI 6S Stiff

:titelist-small: TS3  21 Hybrid Tensei AV Blue 65 HY Stiff

:titelist-small: U-510 19 Utility Iron HZDUS Smoke Black 6.0 Stiff

:Takomo:  5-PW 101T Irons - KBS Tour Lite Stiff - Official Tester 2023

:vokey-small: Vokey SM9 52 F - 12 Nippon NS Pro 950 Stiff

:vokey-small: Vokey Forged 56 M - 10  DG S200

:taylormade-small: MG3 60 - 12 NS Modus3 Tour 105 Stiff

image.gif.2bc8a27613a423a3721fd3b955802132.gif  Scotty Special Select - Squareback 2 - 35”  / Super Stroke Slim 3.0

:srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

:titelist-small: Players 4 bag  image.png.939559f85230fe16347ecf2765438915.png    :redrooster:

:Arccos: Official Tester - 2021 & Loyal MCC Plus 4 Sensor User

3 hours ago, KC Golf said:

I think if LIV gets a real TV audience the PGA regular tour events that go up against it will be tough sledding. 

I haven’t seen any evidence that LIV has any audience. There’s no evidence so far, the CW deal has been a dud so far and LIV is still producing the broadcast and paying for it, not CW.

Edited by Middler
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1

32 minutes ago, Middler said:

Edited by Middler
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1

4 hours ago, KC Golf said:

I think if LIV gets a real TV audience the PGA regular tour events that go up against it will be tough sledding. This is on top of other programming in various major sports competing for eyes every weekend will make it tough. 

It’s really too bad for regular PGA tour events since they are great charity events for local communities and have long traditions in many cases. 

Golf will always be last in the ratings, except for maybe tennis. If CW realizes they need to broadcast the LIV events on delay rather than live, then I think LIV could catch up to the run of the mill tournaments. 

The rise of youtube golf and such has certainly pulled attention of various golf viewers. Then add in how OEMs are giving that great recognition with sponsorships and partnerships it shows that viewership is being split. While many see youtube golf as just entertainment (which it is) and less serious, that is the golf which many prefer and choose to watch. The slog of watching pro golf over 4 days with 18+ minutes of commercials every hour works great for those wanting background noise. Entertainment it can be a lot tougher and it is more suited to hardcore fans. Of course this is all just my opinion. In terms of LIV golf, there is just so little data to reference. They don't show or display their numbers anymore and when they did it was pretty abysmal. 

May Rahm changes it ever so slightly, however not likely. A shift in the way we consume or watch golf is needed. Baseball has changed for the betterment of watching, so has cricket, curling and many others as the fan and viewer experience has been taken into consideration to improve the product for viewing. Pro golf hasn't done this and I hope something dramatic changes to make me want to watch more than the majors. 

I actually look forward more to reading @Splatt reviews here on the forum and recaps leading into an event then the event itself. 

T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW