Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Getting ridiculous

10 minutes ago, ShimmyCocoBop said:

I used to live in Ohio on the north side of Columbus.  My day off was Tuesday, so that's when my wife and I played.

There used to be so much good public golf in Ohio and we could always find a course for $18.00 ($1 per hole) for walkers.  Most of the time, if we tried to play a second round, the pro shop people would just wave us through with no extra charge.

I remember playing 36 holes Fire Ridge GC near Johnstown (closer to Cleveland) for $18 a piece.  It was a pretty hilly course and our Clic carts were invaluable.  The same happened at Black Diamond GC, which was even hillier.  Playing in the Fall was unbelievably gorgeous.

I remember thinking that there was no need to be a member if you were trying to save money.

So to me this is an interesting topic!! My membership here in Florida went over 1800 this year and the only reason I buy it is because it's the only course within 165 miles of me. My place in Michigan has 52 really nice tracks within roughly 50 miles of my house. So let's look at this, everyone says everything is going up and it is no doubt BUT why do these clubs such as yours and mine in Florida have to go up that offer year round golf but these tracks up in Michigan most of which either view the water or are on the water and are only playable for six months a year continue to do fine only able to collect revenue six months out of the year??? I guess I don't understand how raising greens fees a few bucks up there could be apples for apples what the increase is everywhere else??? I think we are seeing alot of "Everything is going up" from owners who are taking advantage of "everything is going up" ??? @ShimmyCocoBopyou let me know if that day comes and I assure you we can fix that for you!!!!

WITB

Driver is PING G430 MAX 10K 9° W/VENTUS BLACK 44.5"  TOUR VELVET GRIP

3 WOOD TAYLORMADE M2 15° W/ADDI BB TOUR VELVET GRIP

IRONS PING G410 4 AND 5 IRON W/X100 

IRONS 6-9 PING I200 W/X100 

WEDGES TITLEIST VOKEY SM8 48° CHROME

VOKEY 52°  56° AND 60 ALL IN CHROME FINISH WITH DYNAMIC GOLD AND MCC+4 GRIPS

SCOTTY CAMERON TOUR RAT GSS 350G MATADOR GRIP

SUN MOUNTAIN C-130 CART BAG NIKON LASER 

TITLEIST PRO V 1

Marlin Dave - 

I live in South Florida now and $18.00 per round golf is but a distant memory.  

However, I can get nice deals in the Summer time!  Indianwood GC in Indiantown has a $20.00 round that includes a hot dog and small cup of beer!

I also visit Central Pennsylvania twice a year and depend on GolfNow for Hot Deals up there.

Edited by ShimmyCocoBop

After retiring from the PGA of America, I did some demo days and club fitting for TaylorMade, Callaway, Titleist, Ping, Cobra, Srixon and Mizuno.

18 minutes ago, ShimmyCocoBop said:

Marlin Dave - 

I live in South Florida now and $18.00 per round golf is but a distant memory.  

However, I can get nice deals in the Summer time!  Indianwood GC in Indiantown has a $20.00 round that includes a hot dog and small cup of beer!

I also visit Central Pennsylvania twice a year and depend on GolfNow for Hot Deals up there.

So Indiantown being near Rio and Jensen Beach Indiantown??? I used to live in Jensen before moving to Key West. Yeah I just don't understand why the price increases are greater where the golf season is longer?? Makes no sense and I mean it my friend don't quit golfing because you cannot swing the membership!!!! I would gladly help anyone keep playing!! 

WITB

TITLEIST PRO V 1

MarlinDave 

I've got to spend my retirement dollars somehow, so golf seems to keep me happy and somewhat physically fit.  

If needed, I can turn a practice session into a 3 hour affair and only spend $15 on a bucket of balls. Many practice facilities have chipping, bunkers and putting greens, so that helps.

I don't know how long ago you lived in the Stuart area, but new residents/golf in Port St. Lucie is still exploding faster than investors and county commissioners can keep up with.  No one seems to care how the new population affects police, hospitals, grocery stores, restaurants, roads, sanitation etc., and it is really making golf prices soar. All of the new growth is 5 miles west of US 1 near Rt. 95, so the Local News every morning is a Looney Tune movie of horrible road accidents.

Fortunately, for both of us, living closer to the ocean limits land for new projects.

Many people say that Covid is helping Florida's (and other states) growth, but I think not.

After retiring from the PGA of America, I did some demo days and club fitting for TaylorMade, Callaway, Titleist, Ping, Cobra, Srixon and Mizuno.

38 minutes ago, ShimmyCocoBop said:

MarlinDave 

I've got to spend my retirement dollars somehow, so golf seems to keep me happy and somewhat physically fit.  

If needed, I can turn a practice session into a 3 hour affair and only spend $15 on a bucket of balls. Many practice facilities have chipping, bunkers and putting greens, so that helps.

I don't know how long ago you lived in the Stuart area, but new residents/golf in Port St. Lucie is still exploding faster than investors and county commissioners can keep up with.  No one seems to care how the new population affects police, hospitals, grocery stores, restaurants, roads, sanitation etc., and it is really making golf prices soar. All of the new growth is 5 miles west of US 1 near Rt. 95, so the Local News every morning is a Looney Tune movie of horrible road accidents.

Fortunately, for both of us, living closer to the ocean limits land for new projects.

Many people say that Covid is helping Florida's (and other states) growth, but I think not.

So I was last living in Jensen during Francis and Jean so I guess that was 03' as I went thru both of them on Hutchinson Island! That growth that far west of US1 is insane I would hate to live out there!! Loved PGA St Lucie though but played Eagle Marsh the most. That same insane growth has affected the Keys in a very negative way. After Irma destroyed so many places, Guido in a Speedo from Jersey, Philly and NYC all came down and bought everything and with them came the big rush, everyone has a deal for ya!! Hurry hurry hurry all the things the Keys were famous for rejecting!! My home in Traverse City Michigan is also now listed as one of the best places to live in the country and I really wish it hadn't been!!! Insane growth and terrible inflation/greed. Anyway I hope you play this game for many more years my friend and let's not let a money issue drive you away!!! Have a great one!!

WITB

TITLEIST PRO V 1

On 2/7/2024 at 8:34 PM, rhaze91 said:

Has golf jumped the shark to a degree?  Seeing even this site talking about an $80 hat, serious?  I saw somewhere a review on $400 golf pants.   This is a joke, a pair of pants almost half the price of a new set of clubs.  

I have a tough time getting family members who would be new to the game because of the elitist stigma then I see this.   Maybe I'm turning into old man yelling at clouds but what the heck is going on

The price of a nice round of golf to splurge for my high school kid would be almost $500 for two and it's a joke that this is "public".    Sorry for the rant but damn.

Saw this company Athalons https://www.athalonz.com/ and they are charging $285 for a pair of shoes. No thank you, I can buy a couple wedges for that money. Way crazy pricing.

I could play golf every day and learn something new each time.

Callaway Paradym TD 9* Driver w/5 Dot Newton tipped 45” shaft

TaylorMade 11.5* Mini Driver w/5 Dot Newton tipped 44” shaft

Ping 425 Max 3 wood w/Stiff Steadfast Jupiter 1 shaft

PXG 0317 17* hybrid

New Level 4-PW 902PD Irons w/6.5 ProjectX IO shafts

PXG 311 Gen 3 52 & 56 Wedges w/ Xstiff KBS TourLite shafts

Ping Anser Putter

OnCore VeroX 1/2

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63746-motocaddy-m-series-carts-2024-forum-member-review/?do=findComment&comment=1042686

MD -

FYI - Eagle Marsh is now Jensen Beach CC (seedy condition for a once-challenging layout) and the former Ballantrae CC Nicklaus design almost across the street is called Santa Lucia River Club and is struggling.

We have lived here since 1985, on and off seasonally after a 16-year job in Ohio and have seen many things change - the local charm is slowly seeping into the ocean.  😥 👎

9 minutes ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

This thread is a good reminder for me to be thankful for my local course. There is a clergy discount, so for me, I can play as much golf as I want for $320 for the season (typically, here, about six months or so).

image.png

I've been playing this course for over 10 years now. To date, there isn't any such thing as "having to get a tee time." I show up, scope out the front or back tee to see what looks more open, and start my round. We don't even need to check in at the desk.

Our course won't be making any top 100 lists (not even in the state of Michigan). It's very short (6,000 yards from the back tees), scruffy in places, and has a lot of weird doglegs that mean that you barely use driver.

But the greens normally roll pretty true. And I'm playing a season's worth of golf for what a lot of guys will drop on a single round. So I'm thankful.

40 rounds and it comes out to $8 per round. Wooooo!  Very cool they have a student membership, up to age 26. 

Driver: ping.png.006bacb76d65413e66b9c8eb1b47f592.png G20

3W: cobra2.png.60653951979ca617ca859530a17d0a2d.png King Speedzone (adj loft +1.5 to 16 deg) 

Irons: ping.png.006bacb76d65413e66b9c8eb1b47f592.png i200 (3 thru PW & UW)

Wedge: Ray Cook 60 deg

Putter: Spalding TP Mills 3

Tech: golfshot.png.5c17c64b9425413b3bf24668ce3fa044.png on Apple Watch & phone

6 minutes ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

This thread is a good reminder for me to be thankful for my local course. There is a clergy discount, so for me, I can play as much golf as I want for $320 for the season (typically, here, about six months or so).

image.png

I've been playing this course for over 10 years now. To date, there isn't any such thing as "having to get a tee time." I show up, scope out the front or back tee to see what looks more open, and start my round. We don't even need to check in at the desk.

Our course won't be making any top 100 lists (not even in the state of Michigan). It's very short (6,000 yards from the back tees), scruffy in places, and has a lot of weird doglegs that mean that you barely use driver.

But the greens normally roll pretty true. And I'm playing a season's worth of golf for what a lot of guys will drop on a single round. So I'm thankful.

Totally agree. The course closest to me had a good deal last year as they were bought and getting renovated. Now they already went up 500 for this year where the latest update was they would not be open until Early to Mid Summer for the new front 9, and no date for the back nine opening. Meaning you can get probably a nice 4 months of golf at a 9 hole course for 1300. No thanks. I can only imagine how much it will be next year when all 18 are likely open. My guess is pushing 2000 and daily rates around 80 to 90 at peak. I know that might seem low to some but daily rounds used to 50 at peak. But such is life in a more rural area where a resort buys your course and wants to attract people with more income than people in the area tend to make and can easily afford all this.

Thankfully there is another local course bought that seems to be going to keeping things reasonable and as they update things are keeping it to 650 for this year. So that will likely be my home course next year. Its a small course with some wonky layout like you mention but at least I can afford it. I'll leave it there as I could complain about what is happening to my former course and the disregard for area players as there are 3 courses withing 30 minutes of my house and 2 will be owned by this resort now and likely out of many people price range.

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 9° :Fuji: Ventus Blue 6X  (2021 Official Review) | :callaway-small:Epic Speed 18° Evenflow Riptide 70g 6.0
:titelist-small: 816 H1 21° Mitsubishi Motors Mitsubishi Chemical Holdings Chemical industry Mitsubishi  Rayon Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation, mitsubishi, blue, company png |  PNGEgg Diamana S+ Blue 70 S | 
image.png.08bbf5bb553da418019f0db13c6f4f9a.png SMS 4-5/SMS Pro 6-PW  image.png.267751aa721ee9cf3944fa2ff070b98c.png  Steelfiber i95 S (2023 Official Review)
:ping-small: Glide 4.0 50°.12°S/54°.14°W/58°.6°T PING Z-Z115 Wedge Flex | :cleveland-small:  SOFT 11S Super Stroke Mid-Slim 2.0
:ping-small: Hoofer Bag | :titelist-small: Pro V1 | Right Handed | Tracked by :ShotScope: V3

36 minutes ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

image.png

I would dream of paying those prices in San Diego for a season of golf. Even if the course was entirely made of concrete and the sand traps had rattle snakes in them.

Everyone stinks, yes even the pros. Have fun 

8 minutes ago, BringerofRain said:

I would dream of paying those prices in San Diego for a season of golf. Even if the course was entirely made of concrete and the sand traps had rattle snakes in them.

For us, the course is made of mud and snow and the sand traps have polar bears.

:titleist-small: TS3 9.5°, Tensei Blue
:755178188_TourEdge: CBX T3 15°, Project X HZRDUS Black
:callaway-small: Epic Super Hybrid 18°, Aerotech Steel Fiber FC HYB S
:755178188_TourEdge: C722 21°, Ventus Blue 8S
:touredgeexotics: CBX Iron-Wood 25°, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0
:Sub70: 639 CB, Aldila NV 95 Graphite, 6–PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 48°
:mizuno-small: T22 54° and 60°
:edel-golf-1: EAS 4.0, Garsen G-Pro grip
:taylormade-small: TP5x and Tour Response

Full WITB with pictures

A podcast that fits this topic, I wish I had a course that would think this way about things around here.

https://thefriedegg.com/fried-egg-podcast/how-to-build-a-profitable-mom-and-pop-golf-course-5/

Edited by ejgaudette

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 9° :Fuji: Ventus Blue 6X  (2021 Official Review) | :callaway-small:Epic Speed 18° Evenflow Riptide 70g 6.0
:titelist-small: 816 H1 21° Mitsubishi Motors Mitsubishi Chemical Holdings Chemical industry Mitsubishi  Rayon Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation, mitsubishi, blue, company png |  PNGEgg Diamana S+ Blue 70 S | 
image.png.08bbf5bb553da418019f0db13c6f4f9a.png SMS 4-5/SMS Pro 6-PW  image.png.267751aa721ee9cf3944fa2ff070b98c.png  Steelfiber i95 S (2023 Official Review)
:ping-small: Glide 4.0 50°.12°S/54°.14°W/58°.6°T PING Z-Z115 Wedge Flex | :cleveland-small:  SOFT 11S Super Stroke Mid-Slim 2.0
:ping-small: Hoofer Bag | :titelist-small: Pro V1 | Right Handed | Tracked by :ShotScope: V3

48 minutes ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

For us, the course is made of mud and snow and the sand traps have polar bears.

I know this is irrational thinking and if you check the science I am totally wrong but for some reason I would rather run into the polar bear in the Sand trap. I at least have the hope of giving it a Belly rub and becoming the king of Narnia 

Everyone stinks, yes even the pros. Have fun 

I agree somethings in golf are getting expensive. It all depends on what you are looking for. If you want to play Pro VX balls is it because they fit your play or are you looking to fit into your group. $400.00 pants, $200 polos are unfortunately a thing, but you don't have to buy them.  As a bigger guy it pains me looking for golf polos and such because they are more expensive if you can find them. Golf course fees are reasonable where I live in Western Minnesota/Eastern North Dakota, but the "best course"  in town is Kings Walk an Arnold Palmer designed course, but it still reasonable at $70 + tax for 18. my thought is if you want the Tiger experience your going to pay for it. If you want the John Daly experience, your going to have a hangover in the morning. Most of us fall somewhere in the middle. Golf is what you make of it. Have fun, play well.

Driver: Callaway Paradym 
Irons: Callaway Paradym
Putter: Odyssey White Steel Tri-Ball SRT Putter (AKA The Space Station)
Bag: Sun Mountain Cart Bag 
Ball of Choice: Callaway Supersoft but always up to try something

3 hours ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

image.png

Iam amazed there is a course in Gogebic!! Been up there fishing and hunted over in Delta Co and it is the big woods up that way!!! There is one of the top tracks in the state way out west in the U.P somewhere and I cannot remember where but maybe Gwinn??? I have seen photos from it and it looks amazing!! I spend alot of time fishing over near Newberry and Paradise!!

WITB

TITLEIST PRO V 1

On 3/6/2024 at 4:51 PM, ShimmyCocoBop said:

I used to live in Ohio on the north side of Columbus.  My day off was Tuesday, so that's when my wife and I played.

There used to be so much good public golf in Ohio and we could always find a course for $18.00 ($1 per hole) for walkers.  Most of the time, if we tried to play a second round, the pro shop people would just wave us through with no extra charge.

I remember playing 36 holes Fire Ridge GC near Johnstown (closer to Cleveland) for $18 a piece.  It was a pretty hilly course and our Clic carts were invaluable.  The same happened at Black Diamond GC, which was even hillier.  Playing in the Fall was unbelievably gorgeous.

I remember thinking that there was no need to be a member if you were trying to save money.

There is still a lot of affordable golf in Ohio. Some of my favorite courses are no longer affordable... for me. I haven't played my favorite in 5 years because of the increase in greens fees. I'm sure $75.00 isn't a lot to some of you, but it is a substsntial amount to me.

11 hours ago, silver & black said:

There is still a lot of affordable golf in Ohio. Some of my favorite courses are no longer affordable... for me. I haven't played my favorite in 5 years because of the increase in greens fees. I'm sure $75.00 isn't a lot to some of you, but it is a substsntial amount to me.

Agree.  It’s a lot to me too… but that’s $150 for my wife and I.  Even though our club membership is high (and went up last year), it’s still cheaper than daily fee tee times and the reason we seldom play elsewhere unless it’s a vacation that we plan for.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

5 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

Agree.  It’s a lot to me too… but that’s $150 for my wife and I.  Even though our club membership is high (and went up last year), it’s still cheaper than daily fee tee times and the reason we seldom play elsewhere unless it’s a vacation that we plan for.

I don't care how much money one has 75 bucks is a bunch no matter what and as @KennyBsaid if your wife or kids play times that by at least two and it's a kick in the seat!! Memberships will always save you money if you play a certain amount but as we all know one needs to read the small print ie; cart fees or blackout dates but it can surely help in most cases. A mere trip to the grocery store can be frightening these days!! Hope it stops soon!!!!

WITB

TITLEIST PRO V 1

I always thought that paying over $50 a round was high! And was just one of the reasons I only played once a month at a premium course (to me anyway) I also bought the trail card for the massive discount it provided across 12 locations. Some of the RTJ courses are over $150- $200 per round . So the 59 bucks for the trail card was a worthwhile investment.  However 90% of the playing was done at a local hometown peanut field 9 hole course for $20. You drop your money in an envelope and through door slit, then sign a roster sheet with your cart # and go play.   

WITB-Foremost 551's - 3w, 5w, 5-SW (circa 1998), Top Flite 460cc Driver, Adam's 7w, Warrior GW and 60⁰, Odyssey AI-One DB putter.

Just an old newbie golfer, trying to learn and improve 1 club at a time.

Quite the timely topic...

So our Tuesday League and Thursday League start in a couple weeks.  We just had our captains meeting this past Tuesday and frankly I was extremely annoyed.  

Living in Central PA, the cost of golf continues to escalate.  At a rate that's actually more than the standard inflation costs for all things in our society.  This year, for a 9 hole league, players are expected to pay $19 to walk and $26 to ride.  Last year?  $16/$22.  Now, keep in mind, NO SUBSTANTIAL improvements have occurred on this local muni.  In fact, the "bunkers" (in name only!) that are on this course haven't had new sand or appropriate drainage in them for at least a decade.  The course typically gets overgrown with Clover and some of the fairways midseason end up with growth in them that essentially emulates a mine field.  But, year on year, the cost of a round is going up $3 to $4 a round.  That's wholly unacceptable.  

What's difficult for me is that this is merely a moral issue more so than a financial.  My daughter works at the course and as part of their rules, I get a free membership for that.  So financially, it's not out of pocket for me.  That said, I also get quite irritated because my team members don't have that luxury.  And when I look at them and tell them the cost many will roll their eyes and have said each year "this may be my last with this nonsense."  I get it, organizations are always trying to turn a profit.  That's the way the world works.  But when you see very clearly that people are just being GREEDY, that causes me a whole moral dilemma.  

Funny enough, Dauphin Highlands (Yearly noted as one of the best courses in Cenn PA) is $1 more expensive.  $100 more expensive for a yearly membership.  Both are municipal run courses, while DH does have a management group in place so that the Muni doesn't have to do the work and can just collect the money.  Regardless.... You look at that vs our local muni that's only 5 miles away from each other doesn't come close to saying our product is just as worth it as the other.  That's where I just feel it's stupid, at best.  

So overall, with the topic of this message, I completely agree.  The costs have clearly jumped the shark and are frankly getting to a point where people will simply stop playing golf as much.  Maybe that's their wish so that they have less upkeep etc... But that doesn't benefit the Golfer in my opinion.  And that's a shame.  

BNewt51

Golf Addict.... Father of 4.  Pennsylvania Golfer 

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond - Ventus Red X :callaway-small:

3 Wood:  TS2 14* :titleist-small:

Hybrid:  Titleist TSI 2 18*  (Only used on Soft Rainy days)  image.png.94e8f04243fe8584238d70d382b90525.png

Utility Irons:  4 iron (Steel Fiber FC 110 - Stiff)  image.png.edaa152b6173d27a9529d0f1d7fcc172.png

Irons:  Titleist T-150 4-PW Steel Fiber CW 110 - Stiff  :titleist-small:

Wedges:  Vokey 48-8 Vokey 54-10 Vokey 58-6 all SM9's  :titleist-small:

Putter:  Scotty Cameron Special Select 5 Flowback (custom shop copper finish) or Bettinardi QB8  :titleist-small:  :bettinardi-small:

Ball:  Pro-V1x :titleist-small:

Titleist Tour Carry Bag Black and White  :titleist-small:

Bushnell Range Finder (Patriot Pack)  

*King of taking (borrowing) all my club ***** friends clubs after they've discarded them after a couple months!

On 3/7/2024 at 10:12 AM, GolfSpy MPR said:

image.png

pfff I need to mail a dozen balls to you so you can bless them.  Ideally... making them walk on water or something.

Stack Referral code

Driver - Sim2Max 10.5° (set at 9*) UST Helium shaft

3W - StealthHL 16.5°

3h - Sim2max 19°

irons - Sim2OS kbsmax85mt steel shafts reg flex 5i-Aw

wedgies - Jaws MD5 52°-10° (Bounce) S Grind

Jaws MD5 56°-12° (Bounce) W Grind

Putter - Mizuno OMOI Type II

Final Sugar "Pure" Golf Balls Review

1 hour ago, BNewton51 said:

Quite the timely topic...

So our Tuesday League and Thursday League start in a couple weeks.  We just had our captains meeting this past Tuesday and frankly I was extremely annoyed.  

Living in Central PA, the cost of golf continues to escalate.  At a rate that's actually more than the standard inflation costs for all things in our society.  This year, for a 9 hole league, players are expected to pay $19 to walk and $26 to ride.  Last year?  $16/$22.  Now, keep in mind, NO SUBSTANTIAL improvements have occurred on this local muni.  In fact, the "bunkers" (in name only!) that are on this course haven't had new sand or appropriate drainage in them for at least a decade.  The course typically gets overgrown with Clover and some of the fairways midseason end up with growth in them that essentially emulates a mine field.  But, year on year, the cost of a round is going up $3 to $4 a round.  That's wholly unacceptable.  

What's difficult for me is that this is merely a moral issue more so than a financial.  My daughter works at the course and as part of their rules, I get a free membership for that.  So financially, it's not out of pocket for me.  That said, I also get quite irritated because my team members don't have that luxury.  And when I look at them and tell them the cost many will roll their eyes and have said each year "this may be my last with this nonsense."  I get it, organizations are always trying to turn a profit.  That's the way the world works.  But when you see very clearly that people are just being GREEDY, that causes me a whole moral dilemma.  

Funny enough, Dauphin Highlands (Yearly noted as one of the best courses in Cenn PA) is $1 more expensive.  $100 more expensive for a yearly membership.  Both are municipal run courses, while DH does have a management group in place so that the Muni doesn't have to do the work and can just collect the money.  Regardless.... You look at that vs our local muni that's only 5 miles away from each other doesn't come close to saying our product is just as worth it as the other.  That's where I just feel it's stupid, at best.  

So overall, with the topic of this message, I completely agree.  The costs have clearly jumped the shark and are frankly getting to a point where people will simply stop playing golf as much.  Maybe that's their wish so that they have less upkeep etc... But that doesn't benefit the Golfer in my opinion.  And that's a shame.  

So I think this is the point I’m getting to.  For golf freaks they will go find the deals, and find a more affordable way’s to play.

However I am trying to get my son into playing more and now as he moves out onto his own I can tell he’ll just quit playing.  He seems to enjoy casually playing and would get into it, but as he gets to college and beyond will likely not play as it’s expensive.

I totally agree on the there are deals if you look, and the just don’t pay it.  With clothing and accessories that is an option.  Like someone else said with single clubs, like drivers it’s a super hard option.  I could go buy used, but for how much I play it’s not the best option.  

I just see the game getting out of reach to a lot of people and  even more so with the club manufacturers as the price of clubs is getting higher.  

Driver: Titleist Tsi 3

3 Wood : Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead 3

Hybrid : Hogan Edge CFT Hybrid 3

Irons : Hogan Apex ftx 3 iron

Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal Pro 4i-GW

Wedge : Taylor Made 56 degree

Vokey Sm8 60 degree s grind

Putter: Evnroll ev11

2 hours ago, Rob Person said:

I always thought that paying over $50 a round was high! And was just one of the reasons I only played once a month at a premium course (to me anyway) I also bought the trail card for the massive discount it provided across 12 locations. Some of the RTJ courses are over $150- $200 per round . So the 59 bucks for the trail card was a worthwhile investment.  However 90% of the playing was done at a local hometown peanut field 9 hole course for $20. You drop your money in an envelope and through door slit, then sign a roster sheet with your cart # and go play.   

We have a ton of very nice courses at my Michigan place and unfortunately 50 bucks is a day gone by as most of the so so tracks (which are still darn nice) are around 55 to 70 bucks BUT we have twilight golf and other doesn't  get dark in the summer up there until 10 pm so after 4pm the courses are between 30 and 40 bucks for all you can play and there is easily time for 27 holes

WITB

TITLEIST PRO V 1

35 minutes ago, rhaze91 said:

I just see the game getting out of reach to a lot of people and  even more so with the club manufacturers as the price of clubs is getting higher.  

... To be fair the game has always been out of reach for a lotto people. It always was an elitist sport to a degree. It never was meant for the masses and certainly not BroGolfers that are more interested in drinking and having a good time. If that's your thing, Topgolf is a better use of your time and money. 

... All that said there are plenty of way to be economical. As you said buying used clubs, balls for bargain prices like Kirkland Signatures at $15 a dozen to Maxfli Tours at $30 a dozen who you buy 4 for $120. Play twilite and walk with a pushcart or even better if you play a lot, an electric cart. That $18-30 for a riding cart adds up in a hurry. and of course you have the added health benefit of walking which I find much more enjoyable.  

... Thankfully in semi retirement I am in a position to pay whatever it costs but I still play twilite at my awesome muni for $36 a round 4 or 5 times a week when other courses in Phoenix are charging $200-$350 all Snowbird/Visitor winter long.  I have a Remote controlled MGI ZIP that paid for itself in the first year. 

... So lots of ways to play "relatively" inexpensive if you make the effort. My muni keeps creeping up the price with increases of $3 or $4 once or twice a year. As the GM told me maintenance materials alone went up almost 33% this past year. So in the end golf isn't and never was chap, but where there is a will there is a way. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :taylormade-small:    Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        430 Hybrid 22*... Diamana LTD 65r  
                  :taylormade-small:    DHy #4 ... Steelfiber 780Hy  
Irons:       :titleist-small:           '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :titleist-small:           Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:    Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli/:taylormade-small:  Maxfli Tour/TP5x

1 hour ago, rhaze91 said:

So I think this is the point I’m getting to.  For golf freaks they will go find the deals, and find a more affordable way’s to play.

However I am trying to get my son into playing more and now as he moves out onto his own I can tell he’ll just quit playing.  He seems to enjoy casually playing and would get into it, but as he gets to college and beyond will likely not play as it’s expensive.

I totally agree on the there are deals if you look, and the just don’t pay it.  With clothing and accessories that is an option.  Like someone else said with single clubs, like drivers it’s a super hard option.  I could go buy used, but for how much I play it’s not the best option.  

Tale that seems almost NOT as old as time.  More like, a Tale that is being written in THIS time.  

Clubs have gotten to the point where it's absurd.   When you're paying $600 for some putters, Drivers going upwards of $600-1000 depending on shafting options, irons that are approaching $2000, wedges approaching $200 a piece, bags that are $400, and the list keeps going on..... That's all before you take all those shiny new toys to the local course for them to look at you and think you're going to hand over to them $50+ a round with a smile on your face. It's just mind numbing.  

Unfortunately, like you, I have son's that have grown to enjoy the game like me.  Maybe not as crazy about it as I am, but they're athletic former college football guys, one now coaching full time... They simply can't see that it's financially available to them as much anymore BECAUSE it isn't.  Especially when you add in the cost of living etc of everything in our todays society.  

I'd love to be the optimist here and say we will see a reset soon enough.  Sadly, I don't think so.  Not in the cost to play aspect I'd say.  Now, clubs I think you're starting to see it with brands like Tahkomo now taking off and becoming a force that has to be recognized at a decent price for all to afford.  Heck, even PXG is realizing that they needed to come down in their prices.  So equipment wise, I do believe we're seeing a reset.  And that's only going to benefit the consumer.  Hopefully at least.  

BNewt51

Golf Addict.... Father of 4.  Pennsylvania Golfer 

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond - Ventus Red X :callaway-small:

3 Wood:  TS2 14* :titleist-small:

Hybrid:  Titleist TSI 2 18*  (Only used on Soft Rainy days)  image.png.94e8f04243fe8584238d70d382b90525.png

Utility Irons:  4 iron (Steel Fiber FC 110 - Stiff)  image.png.edaa152b6173d27a9529d0f1d7fcc172.png

Irons:  Titleist T-150 4-PW Steel Fiber CW 110 - Stiff  :titleist-small:

Wedges:  Vokey 48-8 Vokey 54-10 Vokey 58-6 all SM9's  :titleist-small:

Putter:  Scotty Cameron Special Select 5 Flowback (custom shop copper finish) or Bettinardi QB8  :titleist-small:  :bettinardi-small:

Ball:  Pro-V1x :titleist-small:

Titleist Tour Carry Bag Black and White  :titleist-small:

Bushnell Range Finder (Patriot Pack)  

*King of taking (borrowing) all my club ***** friends clubs after they've discarded them after a couple months!

Our OKC municipals did I frequent player special this year, 10 tee times for the price of 8 that can only be used between April-December of the year. Whole thing was only $220 walking. $22 per round isn’t too bad for some decent golf courses. This deal was a no brainer for me on my Christmas list. 

Driver:  :titelist-small: TSi3 Tester Check out the Review HERE

2-Iron- :Sub70: 699-U

5-Wood:  :Sub70: Pro (18*) 

Irons :  :ping-small: i210 4-PW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:  RTX-4 50* and 54* RTX-3 *58

Putter::1332069271_TommyArmour: Impact No. 3

Ball:  MAXFLI TOUR 

Tracked by: :Arccos:  

Bag: BagBoy ZTF Stand Bag (REVIEW HERE)

1 hour ago, chisag said:

... To be fair the game has always been out of reach for a lotto people. It always was an elitist sport to a degree. It never was meant for the masses and certainly not BroGolfers that are more interested in drinking and having a good time. If that's your thing, Topgolf is a better use of your time and money. 

... All that said there are plenty of way to be economical. As you said buying used clubs, balls for bargain prices like Kirkland Signatures at $15 a dozen to Maxfli Tours at $30 a dozen who you buy 4 for $120. Play twilite and walk with a pushcart or even better if you play a lot, an electric cart. That $18-30 for a riding cart adds up in a hurry. and of course you have the added health benefit of walking which I find much more enjoyable.  

... Thankfully in semi retirement I am in a position to pay whatever it costs but I still play twilite at my awesome muni for $36 a round 4 or 5 times a week when other courses in Phoenix are charging $200-$350 all Snowbird/Visitor winter long.  I have a Remote controlled MGI ZIP that paid for itself in the first year. 

... So lots of ways to play "relatively" inexpensive if you make the effort. My muni keeps creeping up the price with increases of $3 or $4 once or twice a year. As the GM told me maintenance materials alone went up almost 33% this past year. So in the end golf isn't and never was chap, but where there is a will there is a way. 

And I get this, but then not one of these top companies should talking about growing the game, or making it for all, because it isn't.  They can't have it both ways.

And equipment wise how hamstrung are you going to be trying to play in club tournaments using Kirkland spin master specials.  However at better levels your buying balls way less and are better off buying the best balls as you don't lose them so much and the covers are durable.

Driver: Titleist Tsi 3

3 Wood : Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead 3

Hybrid : Hogan Edge CFT Hybrid 3

Irons : Hogan Apex ftx 3 iron

Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal Pro 4i-GW

Wedge : Taylor Made 56 degree

Vokey Sm8 60 degree s grind

Putter: Evnroll ev11

2 hours ago, chisag said:

To be fair the game has always been out of reach for a lotto people. It always was an elitist sport to a degree

Well, yes, and no. In the United States, and in a few other countries (notably Japan and Germany), it's elitist. It is decidedly un-elitist in Scotland. As a book I once read about Scottish golf said (paraphrasing here), if you pay your bills on time and you've never been charged with sheep theft, you can join a lot of Scottish golf clubs, and for a reasonable price. For example, membership at Machrihanish, which is one of the Golf Magazine World Top 100 courses, costs about $550 a year if you live nearby, and a little over $500 if you're an American who wants to play there a few times a year.

The most elitist clubs in Scottish golf are probably Muirfield (the Honourable Company of Edinburgh Golfers) and the R&A. Yet Muirfield allows visitors to play two days a week. Can you imagine Augusta National or Pine Valley letting chops play on Tuesdays and Thursdays? And the R&A doesn't even own its own course; it shares the Old Course and everything else on the St. Andrews Links with four other clubs.

Edited by ILMgolfnut

Obsessed with chasing the dimpled orb.

More about me:  WITB type stuff

Fit For Golf tester 2024