Testers Wanted! Takomo Long Game Clubs ×

Getting ridiculous

Ricky, i agree it’s definitely dependent on your location and personal finance situation with a dose of family background thrown in for added bias. My mom and aunts went to school with Arnold Palmer but there was never any association between them cuz grandpa was a coal miner and lived in the company patch. I Grew up in Rocco Mediate’s home town… he’s 3 yrs older than me. We probably played a couple of the same courses over the years but our paths never crossed  that I’m aware of (except for maybe going to his dad’s shop to get my hair cut for a while).

Lots of courses in south west Pa…. The ones that the general public can access range from about $30-$75 carts are sometimes included and sometimes extra so you might be adding another $18 to some of those fees. Right now, I personally consider the courses that are in the $75-100 range to be more than I am willing to pay. For Someone from the north hills or south hills suburbs of Pittsburgh… maybe not so much  

Three more expensive courses in the area that come to mind are the two at Nemacolin Woodlands ~$300 and Olde Stonewall ~$175. I have played Mystic Rock and Olde Stonewall and might try to play them again some day before take the dirt nap. I doubt i will ever get the chance to Laurel Valley, or Oakmont but I’ve at least walked both courses.

I think we're getting to a point where rising prices and corporate greed are getting serious consumer push back.  When McDonalds is forced by consumer complaints to lower prices because they raised prices too far, you know there's an issue.

Like it or not, supply and demand is very efficient.  In my case, we have one eighteen hole golf course within 140 miles or so.  Visitors will always want to say they played the Southernmost golf course in America (once).  Those who live here full time are stuck with uncontrollable price increases and marginal customer service (because they can).  There's very little we as consumers can do.

As long as there's a portion of the golf population that has large amounts of discretionary income or who "needs" to have the latest and greatest (just because), we are likely stuck with price increases without a corresponding significant performance improvement.  That's unless there's a golf market discontinuity that takes place.  I was sort of hoping that the direct to customer model may be that market discontinuity.  Time will tell.

Edited by Golf2Much
Ping G430 Max driver 10.5 degrees with an Alta Quick45 gram senior shaft
Callaway Epic 3 wood, Project X Evenflow Green 45 gram senior shaft  
Callaway GBB Epic Heavenwood, with a Mitsubishi Diamana 50 gram senior shaft
Ping G 20.5 degree 7 wood, with a stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Ping G 26 degree hybrid, stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Callaway Paradym X irons, 7-AW with Aldila Ascent Blue 50 graphite shafts
Edison wedges:  50, 55 and 60 degree, KBS Tour Graphite A flex shafts
Putters:  L.A.B. Direct Force 2.1 putter, 34.5" long, 67 degrees lie

2022 MGS Tester:  Shot Scope Pro XL+ with H4  

2 hours ago, StrokerAce said:

I see you're in SouthWest Pennsylvania. 
I did a google search for golf courses in southwest pa
I found plenty to choose from and clicked on this one - https://www.golfglengarry.com/

image.png.977f8ece87a3384e160d7ea50fbf5129.png

These are the rates:

image.png.3c40b469485ad5b9a2d935dbdbe82b2f.png

I would *kill* to play these rates! Not a course around me offering these.

I'm not sure what you're looking for but it sure seems like there are options around you ...

Stroker, i was a member at Glengary during covid. Its a decent course, but I will not be walking it. My brother maintained his membership - he likes how wide open it is. Yes, there are a lot of golf options in my area… average is about $45 and most places are booked up pretty solid unless they have devolved into goat path status. 

a lot depends on perspective. I’m making probably $30k less than i did pre covid and being 59 companies look at me as a “short timer” or just plain too old. Just the hand i was dealt. I am no longer as golf obsessed as I once was in part due to the rising costs. 

Stroker, i was a member at Glengary during covid. Its a decent course, but I will not be walking it. My brother maintained his membership - he likes how wide open it is. Yes, there are a lot of golf options in my area… average is about $45 and most places are booked up pretty solid unless they have devolved into goat path status. 

a lot depends on perspective. I’m making probably $30k less than i did pre covid and being 59 companies look at me as a “short timer” or just plain too old. Just the hand i was dealt. I am no longer as golf obsessed as I once was in part due to the rising costs

2 hours ago, StrokerAce said:
Edited by Another Steve
Triple posed reply somehow

O definitely feel the burn of the wallet when it comes to golf, and so has the boss wife! 😎 

And the impact is on the low low spectrum from the $$$ aspect. She tolerates my interest, but has none herself (is that a win for me?) Life has too many priorities beyond golf that will be served first.  So when it comes to golf, I stretch the proverbial dollar wherever I can. 

Edited by Rob Person

WITB-Foremost 551's - 3w, 5w, 5-SW (circa 1998), Top Flite 460cc Driver, Adam's 7w, Warrior GW and 60⁰, Odyssey AI-One DB putter.

Just an old newbie golfer, trying to learn and improve 1 club at a time.

My Father in law was a life long golfer. He and i played 2x a week for nearly 25 years before he passed. He usually played another 2x more per week. She understands the mentality… sadly, all her life he played an outing/event on her birthday…. They always celebrated a few days later, never on her birthday….. was a sore point for her but she never admitted it. She won’t make an issue if I want to go play, but I pick and choose. She’s told me that I should try to find an after work league to play in… 

3 hours ago, Another Steve said:

Hate to break it to ya, but it IS an expensive, affluent sport if you want to play nice, well cared for courses that aren’t over booked and backed up all round. 

the courses us ‘po folk play will more closely resemble the original sheep pastures where the game originated than what we’ve come to know /expect golf to be from what we see on tv. Our fairways are just the rough that was cut with a slightly lower blade setting and our tee boxes are more divot than grass. We pay out the azz for the privilege of them shoving as many groups as possible onto the course. 

I hear where you're coming from and agree that it is among the more expensive sports/hobbies. I guess my point is that I'd hate to see that aspect of the game get worse.  

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Official Review)

Not to beat a dead horse here, but I am going to add something from a facilities standpoint which is my profession:

Wear and tear on a course we all know is a real thing. Maintaining a course in the best conditions is BRUTAL. Cost of water, fertilizers, labor and the God forsaken taxes all have increased...right wrong or indifferent that in turn drives costs up.

As a consumer I am willing to pay those prices for a little piece of this game we all love, wish it was cheaper but here we are. Still cheaper than the shrink! (maybe?)

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

Weapons of grass destruction (link to WITB)

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:EVNROLL: ER2VI :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Are you a veteran? Check out the Veterans Golf Association (VGA) Thread!

5 minutes ago, GolfSpy_SHARK said:

Not to beat a dead horse here, but I am going to add something from a facilities standpoint which is my profession:

Wear and tear on a course we all know is a real thing. Maintaining a course in the best conditions is BRUTAL. Cost of water, fertilizers, labor and the God forsaken taxes all have increased...right wrong or indifferent that in turn drives costs up.

As a consumer I am willing to pay those prices for a little piece of this game we all love, wish it was cheaper but here we are. Still cheaper than the shrink! (maybe?)

And from an equipment standpoint cost of materials has gone up, cost of labor has gone up, cost to transport the materials to the assembly plants has gone up along with having to ship the finished product to stores and or direct to consumer. The middle man has to get more as well due to their labor costs and other overhead.

all of that gets passed onto the consumer. 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

If I can't find a good deal to golf in the morning, I will wait until the afternoon when the prices go down for a round of golf. This is in the summer of course. I also don't have a problem playing golf when it's 95 degrees outside as I take water, and have my backpack cooler with ice water in it to wet a towel down to use to cool off as well. I just put it around my neck or I dip my hands in the cooler. During the "Winter Rates" times I will find a course that I don't want to pay the price of the afternoon times during the summer and play them for cheaper. Some people shun Golfnow because of the fee on there, but if that fee is not going to make it more than what it would be to play there by calling and setting a tee time up at the course, why not use it?

Callaway Paradym AI Smoke Max 9* with Tensei AV Blue 55

PXG 5 and 7 woods with Mitsubishi Diamana Shafts

Mizuno Pro 225 5-GW with Dynamic Gold S300 shafts

Taylormade Hi-Toe 54 and 58 degree wedges

Ping Prime Tyne 4

9 minutes ago, bens197 said:

I've read a lot of what folks here believe to be true and I agree with everyone.  Your personal finances and spending habits are yours and I respect that.

Personally, I prefer to spend more on clothes & clubs.  A Holderness & Bourne polo or Travis Mathew set for me fits well and is super durable.  When it comes to equipment, I spent more than 2 decades playing hand me down gear and would do a lot of the work myself on reshafts and purchased.  Now that I am making good money, I feel comfortable spending where it does not affect my responsibilities.  My wife knows this is my #1 hobby and supports me buying nice things, as long as they don't accumulate.

For the guys who are comfy paying $10 for a Costco polo or shorts, you're awesome.

For the guys who want to dish out $400 on some Malbon pants, you're also awesome.

I mean I don't like to say that Steve is 100% right on with something, but he is right here.

People have different incomes, different habits, and different everything, and arguing about it or complaining takes away from the enjoyment you find in what you do.

Am I a cheapass who detests how expensive it is sometimes to play a round of golf on an average course near where I live? Admittedly, I am, but I also understand that it's better to do it for enjoyment than to complain about the cost of it.

I saw this play out in court last week. There was an attorney who I know, and he had his Timex on, a simple little one, and everyone remarked on how functional it was. He mentioned that another colleague said he needed a Rolex or a Tag because that was what showed success. He turned the person and apparently said, 'they all tell the same time, right?' and they shared a laugh.

At the end of the day, we're all working with different menus and different ingredients, but we're all just trying to make a meal out of life.

In a :ping-small: Hoofer Lite bag

:titleist-small: TSR2, 10 degrees, A1 setting, Fujikara Speeder NX Blue 50-S

:taylormade-small: Stealth, 15 degrees, VA Composites Nemesys 70-S 

:755178188_TourEdge: E722, 19 degrees, Oban Devotion 80-S

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal Pro 4-P, Nippon 950GH Stiff Flex

:cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 50* (bent to *49) and RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 54* (bent to *55), DG 115 Spinner, Tour Issue

:wilson-small: Staff Model TG 60*, Dynamic Gold 120 S300

SIK Golf Flo-C

:bridgestone-small: Tour B-XS (2022 Model)

And thus we arrive at the definition of inflation where our money runs out before the week does. 

I understand the “why” of it…. “Doesn’t mean I have to like it….. it affects everything…. Used to shoot clay birds. Shell prices doubled. Lead shot cost went up and shot to reload was scarce. Waited a year for a new barrel for my target rifle. I have enough components to likely shoot out that barrel and then will have to rethink further participation. One by one all of my activities are going away due to inflation. 

I will stop here as this could very easily take a left turn into politics and I don’t want to meet the ban hammer. 

Edited by Another Steve

Valid points on inflation costs, and that does have a reasonable affect on things like that. I can keep paying/playing my way, and others can do theirs. It doesnt affect anyone but myself.

I don't get gear envy like some. (well, maybe a teeny tiny bit) 😆 

And funny you mention shooting @Another Steve. My line of work in Law enforcement has us with supposedly the best we can get. But ask me what my personal defense consists of, and I have several models that fit in the category of what the average person carries. I go in with the knowledge of what it can do for me without modification and weigh the costs benefits of using said items for leisure or emergency. 

WITB-Foremost 551's - 3w, 5w, 5-SW (circa 1998), Top Flite 460cc Driver, Adam's 7w, Warrior GW and 60⁰, Odyssey AI-One DB putter.

Just an old newbie golfer, trying to learn and improve 1 club at a time.

4 hours ago, fixyurdivot said:

Jeeber's Kenny, that is quite a price escalation...certainly way beyond inflation.  It's always been a supply & demand model but it does seem that certain commoditites have run wild and borderline pure price gouging.  Our courses here are $125 for non-resident/guest, public play during winter peak season... I think that's high.  They are really nice course, but still.

I remember Bill; I was there a year ago.  I expect to pay more when traveling to high peak season places, especially in winter, but the prices have changed so much in the past two years; easily up 30%.  Now I have to re-think vacation plans.  We always travel some place warm (Scottsdale, Palm Springs back and forth the past several years, but maybe we wait until the peak season dies down a little.  Maybe we travel somewhere a little less costly.  Well, I have a few months to think about it for next year.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

1 hour ago, Rob Person said:

Valid points on inflation costs, and that does have a reasonable affect on things like that. I can keep paying/playing my way, and others can do theirs. It doesnt affect anyone but myself.

I don't get gear envy like some. (well, maybe a teeny tiny bit) 😆 

And funny you mention shooting @Another Steve. My line of work in Law enforcement has us with supposedly the best we can get. But ask me what my personal defense consists of, and I have several models that fit in the category of what the average person carries. I go in with the knowledge of what it can do for me without modification and weigh the costs benefits of using said items for leisure or emergency. 

For the unavoidable social interaction i carry a bone stock Czheck tupperware. Like you, I have it cuz it just works… that and I don’t get along with Austrian tupperware grip. The other reason is that should I ever actually need it, i figure that if I get it back from the evidence locker it will not have been well cared for…. I wont cry too hard if its trashed. 

15 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

I remember Bill; I was there a year ago.  I expect to pay more when traveling to high peak season places, especially in winter, but the prices have changed so much in the past two years; easily up 30%.  Now I have to re-think vacation plans.  We always travel some place warm (Scottsdale, Palm Springs back and forth the past several years, but maybe we wait until the peak season dies down a little.  Maybe we travel somewhere a little less costly.  Well, I have a few months to think about it for next year.

There is always Yuma 🫣.  Out of curiosity I just looked at the green fees at the three courses we played there most often.  Desert Hills ranges from $35-69, Las Barancas $65 w/cart, and Mesa Del Sol $79.  Our last season there (2022/23), we used to play DH's for $18-39, LB for $30-45, and MDS for $30-40.  We had heard MDS was planning a renovation and rates would be increasing... sure did. 

Cost of green fees appears to have well surpassed inflation in most locations.  Hopefully these increases are an anomaly and they stabilize.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Official Review)

I acknowledge I can just not buy the expensive products.  I just hate that it costs the cheaper stuff to go up in price because they ca.

I am also appreciative of the weekly emails this site sends when they find deals of the week.  Been very helpful for as I have bought many items using those deals.

Driver: Titleist Tsi 3

3 Wood : Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead 3

Hybrid : Hogan Edge CFT Hybrid 3

Irons : Hogan Apex ftx 3 iron

Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal Pro 4i-GW

Wedge : Taylor Made 56 degree

Vokey Sm8 60 degree s grind

Putter: Evnroll ev11

23 hours ago, StrokerAce said:

I was in Carmel about 25 years ago and walked on the beach right next to Pebble. I even walked up onto the course for fun. I swore I'd be back one day to play it, but now... ha! forget it. It's impossible.

$1,975 to play a round at Pebble... ONE ROUND OF GOLF.

image.png.4e396b8b9d73d04f1725a9cc2a1c4719.png

Driver-  Cobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Axis1 TourHM
Ball- Maxfli Tour X
Buggy- Motocaddy M7 GPS Remote Electric Caddy
Bag- Motocaddy Dry-Series

Proudly testing for 2024:

3 minutes ago, StrokerAce said:

$1,975 to play a round at Pebble... ONE ROUND OF GOLF.

image.png.4e396b8b9d73d04f1725a9cc2a1c4719.png

Is pebble overrated?

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

9 minutes ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

Is pebble overrated?

I've never played it, but you'll never, NEVER, convince me there is a single golf course in the world worth nearly $2k for a single round of golf. 

Driver: :titleist-small: TSi3 9* Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 6X

Fairways: :cobra-small: Aerojet Max 3W & 7W MCA Kai'Li White 60 Stiff

Hybrid: :cobra-small: King TEC 3H MCA MMT 85g Stiff

Irons: :cobra-small: Aerojet 6-GW KBS $-taper Lite Stiff

Wedges: :cobra-small: Snakebite Black 52/56/60 Hi-Rev 2.0 Black Stiff

Putter: :scotty-cameron-1: Super Select Newport 2.0

Ball: :maxfli: Tour X :titleist-small: ProV1x

#LeftyGang

Cobra 50th Anniversary Member Special Challenge (link here)

Unofficial FootJoy Hyperflex BOA 2023 Review

Unofficial Flightscope Mevo Review

It's almost that bad for this year's US Open track, Pinehurst #2. You have to stay at the resort to play it (similar to Pebble, I guess), and that stay has to be at least two nights as far as I can tell. The cheapest package I can find that gets you on #2 is $512 per person (double occupancy) for two nights at the resort, plus a $250 surcharge for #2. You can play one of the other courses with that plan (with smaller surcharges for a couple of the others). Then there's the play all you want plan, which does include one round (and only one) on #2, which is $3002 for three nights, again double occupancy. If it's a solo trip, you're gonna pay $3725. None of that includes caddie, etc., just the room, daily breakfast and dinner, and golf.

Then there's the Bandon Dunes complex. All of their five courses cost the same, which varies from month to month, but if you want to play, say, Pacific Dunes in the summer, it's $450 for premium day guests (which means you aren't staying at the resort, but you booked the time more than 3 weeks in advance). Resort guests are $350 for the summer.

Edited by ILMgolfnut

Obsessed with chasing the dimpled orb.

More about me:  WITB type stuff

Fit For Golf tester 2024

18 minutes ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

Is pebble overrated?

relative to the price being charged? Yes.

Driver-  Cobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Axis1 TourHM
Ball- Maxfli Tour X
Buggy- Motocaddy M7 GPS Remote Electric Caddy
Bag- Motocaddy Dry-Series

Proudly testing for 2024:

22 minutes ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

Is pebble overrated?

There is really two holes I would want to play there, number 7 and number 18. Outside of those two holes, I would say yes. 

Callaway Paradym AI Smoke Max 9* with Tensei AV Blue 55

PXG 5 and 7 woods with Mitsubishi Diamana Shafts

Mizuno Pro 225 5-GW with Dynamic Gold S300 shafts

Taylormade Hi-Toe 54 and 58 degree wedges

Ping Prime Tyne 4

On 2/8/2024 at 6:29 AM, GolfSpy_KFT said:

I don't know where you're playing that is $250 a pop for a "nice" course, but you're being raked over the coals at that rate.

... Ever been to Phoenix in the middle of winter? 🤑  $250 is a bargain IF you can find it. I join The Raven (a really nice course) June-Septemeber because it is a rare tree lined course in the desert and provides shade when the temps are 105* and higher. $89 a month for the Arcis card then after 3pm rounds are "free" but you have to pay $39 for a cart. So about $45 a round total. 

... Here are the tee times for this Saturday:

Screenshot2024-02-09at9_54_00AM.png.7ba4df0164c6e00cc4aac484b91a060b.png

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... AutoFlex Dream 7 SF405
Fairway:  :taylormade-small:    Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        430 Hybrid 22*... Diamana LTD 65r  
                  :taylormade-small:    DHy #4 ... Steelfiber 780Hy  
Irons:       :titleist-small:           '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :titleist-small:           Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:    Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli/:taylormade-small:  Maxfli Tour/TP5x

8 minutes ago, chisag said:

... Ever been to Phoenix in the middle of winter? 🤑  $250 is a bargain IF you can find it. I join The Raven (a really nice course) June-Septemeber because it is a rare tree lined course in the desert and provides shade when the temps are 105* and higher. $89 a month for the Arcis card then after 3pm rounds are "free" but you have to pay $39 for a cart. So about $45 a round total. 

... Here are the tee times for this Saturday:

Screenshot2024-02-09at9_54_00AM.png.7ba4df0164c6e00cc4aac484b91a060b.png

Holy SMOKES lol! Glad I don't have to try to find tee times in AZ!

Driver: :titleist-small: TSi3 9* Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 6X

Fairways: :cobra-small: Aerojet Max 3W & 7W MCA Kai'Li White 60 Stiff

Hybrid: :cobra-small: King TEC 3H MCA MMT 85g Stiff

Irons: :cobra-small: Aerojet 6-GW KBS $-taper Lite Stiff

Wedges: :cobra-small: Snakebite Black 52/56/60 Hi-Rev 2.0 Black Stiff

Putter: :scotty-cameron-1: Super Select Newport 2.0

Ball: :maxfli: Tour X :titleist-small: ProV1x

#LeftyGang

Cobra 50th Anniversary Member Special Challenge (link here)

Unofficial FootJoy Hyperflex BOA 2023 Review

Unofficial Flightscope Mevo Review

On 2/7/2024 at 7:34 PM, rhaze91 said:

Has golf jumped the shark to a degree?  Seeing even this site talking about an $80 hat, serious?  I saw somewhere a review on $400 golf pants.   This is a joke, a pair of pants almost half the price of a new set of clubs.  

I have a tough time getting family members who would be new to the game because of the elitist stigma then I see this.   Maybe I'm turning into old man yelling at clouds but what the heck is going on

The price of a nice round of golf to splurge for my high school kid would be almost $500 for two and it's a joke that this is "public".    Sorry for the rant but damn.

hmm, had to think about this for a bit.

the course I am playing in Victoria is a "value" course. I am not against spending money but I do like to feel like I get "good value" when my purchase is finished.

I have found a spot where I am comfortable with the amount I spend to play golf but once I feel the value isn't there I will change and go looking for something that makes me more comfortable. 

committed to performance excellence

8 minutes ago, Jim Shaw said:

once I feel the value isn't there I will change and go looking for something that makes me more comfortable. 

Agree with that. I'll probably go play Pinehurst #2 once as a bucket list type thing (probably in the winter when it's a little cheaper). I'm gonna play the Old Course again ($400 in the summer) because I was so tired the first time (stayed up all night to get the tee time) I really don't remember much about it, other than 2 and 17. But for day to day golf I'm not gonna pay that much. Even in Scotland.

Edited by ILMgolfnut

Obsessed with chasing the dimpled orb.

More about me:  WITB type stuff

Fit For Golf tester 2024

44 minutes ago, GolfSpy_KFT said:

Holy SMOKES lol! Glad I don't have to try to find tee times in AZ!

... As long as Phoenix provides warm temps and sun in the middle of winter, folks will flock here and pay whatever the going rate is. We had a rainy week but that is very rare. Florida can rain out any day but Phoenix is almost always sunny and warm. Prices have risen almost exponentially since the Covid outbreak. Thankfully locals have at least some options and my home course is an excellent track and with a Sr City Card we pay $36 to walk at twilite.

... Without a city card a visitor will only $88 but almost impossible to get a time. The City Card lets you book 9 days in advance, a day before tee times open to the public. They start at midnight and if you don't book by 12:05 chances are you won't find a tee time. We take turns booking the first twilite time at exactly midnight and even then we may miss 1:04 and get the 1:12 or 1:20 time. 

... If you are in cold weather climate with no golf for months on end and can get away for a long weekend or maybe a week or two, these temperatures are hard to beat in the middle of winter. The chance of rain usually disappears from the forecast as we get near the date but if it does rain it is usually very isolated. But it will cost you $$$ and many are willing to pay:

Screenshot2024-02-09at10_25_32AM.png.305af3d77c718187ef388e041101ebd5.png 

Edited by chisag

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... AutoFlex Dream 7 SF405
Fairway:  :taylormade-small:    Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        430 Hybrid 22*... Diamana LTD 65r  
                  :taylormade-small:    DHy #4 ... Steelfiber 780Hy  
Irons:       :titleist-small:           '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :titleist-small:           Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:    Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli/:taylormade-small:  Maxfli Tour/TP5x