New Iron dilemma

nick gauts

36 minutes ago, Wheelieb said:

I’ve never even heard of Big Range. And to say there is no consequence means you aren’t practicing correctly. There’s plenty of trouble if you go to the range and hit shots like you are playing a hole on the course. That’s where you learn to make your shots you want to make. I’ve never had range balls fly straighter because they were range balls. Nor have I had any issues with a rubber tee as I don’t use those. If you have to claim the range is a liar, I don’t see how you are practicing properly. Good book to read or listen to “Every Shot Must Have A Purpose”. Then you can go to the range and not claim it to be a liar. 

Sounds exactly like something from big range would say and you slipped up. Now I know you in cahoots with big Barnes and noble. 

You will get nothing past me. 

Everyone stinks, yes even the pros. Have fun 

1 hour ago, BringerofRain said:

Not to mention there is no consequence at the range and you just reload.

... 👍  Yup you can have a good practice session and replicate shots you may play like a driver to a far flag, then a 7 iron to another flag in a different direction. But as you said, there is no real consequence and as much as we would like to think we can trick our brains, it certainly knows we are practicing and not playing and keeping score. Better than just beating balls for sure but there is no scorecard and no real consequences on the range. Exact same thing as missing a birdie putt, then trying again and rolling it in. The first putt had pressure and a consequence if you miss, the 2nd putt has neither. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... AutoFlex Dream 7 SF405
Fairway:  :taylormade-small:    Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        G430 Hybrid 22*... Diamana LTD 65r  
Irons:       :titleist-small:           '23 T200 4-9i ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small:     MG3 46*/50*/54* MG4 58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:    Sport-60 33" 
Ball:          :taylormade-small:     '24 TP5x 

11 hours ago, hckymeyer said:

They don't hand out prizes for having clubs that are harder to hit.  They hand out prizes for shooting lower scores.

If your goal is just to have fun, then by all means play whatever brings you enjoyment.  If your goal is to shoot the lowest score possible I would beg you to please not rule out GI or even SGI clubs.  

FWIW I have been playing Cleveland CBX (firmly game improvement irons) for the past 6-7 seasons, I just last week decided it's time to upgrade and went with Srixon ZX5 (also game improvement) mostly because I wanted something new and shiny and I gained some swing speed to I needed to reshaft my irons anyway.  I'm currently a 1.9 handicap and usually move between a 2-3 throughout the season.  For me there is zero compelling reason to play anything that makes the game less forgiving.

Also "working" the ball is over rated. I've never in my 35 years of golfing ever heard someone complain because they hit the ball too straight.  

I just realized I'm way top young to be having these "get off my lawn" rants and sounding like a cranky old man 🙂  In all seriousness play what makes you happy but please give serious consideration to trying the most forgiving club you can stand to look at.

it's kindof fun being a cranky old man.... 

committed to performance excellence

10 hours ago, Jbugai said:

I agree Nick, and strongly disagree with hckymeyer. My first set of clubs were blades, got talked into trying srixon 575s. They made me significantly worse. Got fitted for Mizuno 221s, 3-PW became a scratch golfer in one season. You don’t keep training wheels on a child’s bike…so why would you keep the training wheels on yourself in regards to your golf equipment? You’ll never progress. 

what was your index when you got your Mizuno's?

7 hours ago, chisag said:

... Almost in the Cast vs Forged category of theories. It boggles my mind to think any athlete would not want to practice with exactly the same equipment they use in competition. The more reps the better. It absolutely makes no sense to use something that is more difficult than what you normally use. 

... I don't wanna confuse this with training aids that are specifically addressing an issue you wish to improve. Faster swing speed or more descending strike with an iron can b addressed with a training aid because you are trying to develop a specific skill NOT hitting normal shots. The one that really gets me is a MB will make you focus more. Focus is focus and it can be identical with a Tour Edge E523 Hot Launch SGI 7 iron or a P7TW MB 7 iron. "I tend to swing harder with the GI because I can get away with it and I can't get away with swinging a MB harder so I make better swings". Well duh, don't swing the GI harder. 🙄

... I will play practice rounds doing things like hitting all 3/4 knockdown shots or all fades to hone in on those skills and I can't imagine hitting those with a different iron. I am practicing those shots because I will want/need to use them on occasion when I play. Hitting a knockdown 3/4 7i with an MB will react a little differently than with my T200 gamers and of course most importantly I won't be hitting that MB when I play and my score counts. 

... That said, after teaching many students I am a big believer in "whatever works". If you find convincing yourself into thinking a MB will improve your ball striking, it has a chance to do just that. I had one mid index student that insisted he hit MB's better than GI's. But he changed his swing with his MB's and at first I thought he was doing it on purpose, but after several months with him I realized he had a mental block with GI's because he truly believed he couldn't hit them well ... so he didn't. He was a decent ball striker so I had no doubt a GI would improve his scores if he could swing them the same as his MB's but clearly he could not and I never brought it up again. Everyone is different and what works for me may not work for you, even attempting to do the same thing. 

i never switch my equipment mid season unless I have to "break or bend a shaft or something" I didn't even change my "gamers" last July from Miura to Takomo's as I need to have 100% confidence in my "tools". 

4 minutes ago, Jbugai said:

Don’t get me wrong, I worked my a.. off every chance I got. So, I was practicing some form of my game daily after work. Short game in the backyard, putting in the house, going to the range at the club in a member at. My club has real grass to hit off of, so I was getting real feedback. Playing a round at least twice a week. 9 holes during the week after work, and 18 on the weekends. Like Ben hogan said, the answer is in the dirt. 

On 2/20/2024 at 8:09 PM, TylorJudd said:

Once you do this, you may as well start following Club Ho’s Anonymous. It’s addicting, like tattoos.

Honestly, just the feeling it gives you from something that is new to you is awesome. Last season was the first time I swapped my entire bag, some of it due to fortune, but it was so exciting. I started to tinker and figure out my game a little bit and build an understanding of the game. I buy my shafts for my woods second hand as prices are steep for brand new, and have no regrets about that.

Finding something used also doesn’t produce the “regret” of getting something that maybe didn’t work. Just my 2 cents

That is my normal go to route is the used market.   I live on Facebook marketplace haha searching for deals.  I have 1 p770 9i someone got rid of for 20$. I have a clevland milled blade putter for $20 that I love.  I picked up some titles ap1  3-5i. but mostly only use the 3. haha.

It's a big jump and it is scary to make the leap of faith. plus if im in the cabbage im more scared of scratching my new clubs vs an old pre loved set .

I can 3 putt from anywhere