Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Utility Iron or Hybrid?

I've carried a :cleveland-small: Hybrid in my bag for several years and hit it fairly well.  I've become a stronger long iron player and have hit a longer utility iron a couple of times.  Thinking of making the switch but curious of the pro/cons??

:callaway-small: Paradym Drijver 10.5*

:taylormade-small: RBZ 3 Wood 14*

:cleveland-small: Hybrid 19*

:callaway-small: Apex 19 Irons (4-AW)

:callaway-small: Jaws Chrome Wedges (52,56,60) S-Grind

:odyssey-small: White Hot #5 Putter (33in)

I think the 3 biggest cons for the long iron / utility iron are:

1. Far less forgiveness on mishits.
2. Much lower ball flight.
3. Due to lower forgiveness, disbursement will likely be worse.

I'm not a long iron / utility iron user as I love my fairway woods and hybrids, but these are the 3 that jump out to me the most. Some will say the irons give you better control, and to someone who wants to work the ball that's likely true but only to a point as hybrids nowadays can be very workable.

Really comes down to what you're looking for that club to do. What window you want to see the ball go through. What you want to be able to do with the ball in flight. Etc, etc, etc.

In My Sun Mountain C-130 'merica Cart Bag:
Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth+ Rocket 3W, 13.5* turned down to 12.75*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX, 75g
Fairway: :Sub70: 949x 3w, 15*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX, 70g
Fairway: :Sub70: 949x 5w, 18*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX, 60g
Hybrid: :Sub70: 939x 4H (21*), Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Black, 90g
Irons: :Takomo: 101's, 5-PW, :truetemper: DG120 S300
Wedges: :Sub70: 286 @ 50*, JBFG @ 54* & 60*, :truetemper: DG120 S300
Putter: :Sub70: 002 Mid-Mallet @ 35", Super Stroke Pistol GT 2.0, Desert Camo
Ball: :maxfli: Tour & Testing :OnCore: Vero X1
Technology: :ShotScope: H4 w/ Tags, Pro L2 Rangefinder

I have one of each. They are both 4s. I went to a fitting trying to figure out the gapping between the 4w and the 5i. That was the combination that worked best for me. They are both pretty forgiving but the hybrid is the longer of the two. I probably trust the utility iron more off the tee because if my swing is a little off the hybrid can get a little hooky. To me it’s really an individual thing best to either try both or go to fitter to figure out what is best for you.

D- Tour Edge EXS 220

4W- Sub 70 949X

Hybrid- Sub 70 949X

Utility- Sub 70 699 U  21 degree

Irons- Sub 70 749 5-PW

Wedges- Sub 70 286 50+54, Tour Edge 1 out 58 degree 

Putter- Cleveland Huntington Beach soft # 11

Ball- Titleist Tour Soft

The ability to hit long irons passed me by long ago even when I was a low single digit handicapper.  But the pros and cons of each are pretty straight forward:

Hybrid, flies higher and is generally easier to hit particularly out of the rough.  It is also useful around the green for chips shots.  The cons are that its harder to control in the wind and some people have trouble hooking it.  

Long iron launches lower and can be a great option off the tee on windy days or tighter holes.  the negative is that it is not as versatile and because it launches lower doesn't hold well on firmer greens.

I see that you live in TN.  If you are playing hilly mountainous courses the hybrid would seem to me to be the better choice.  Hard to get those long irons to run up a slope.  🙂

Good luck 

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

21 hours ago, kknouse23 said:

I've carried a :cleveland-small: Hybrid in my bag for several years and hit it fairly well.  I've become a stronger long iron player and have hit a longer utility iron a couple of times.  Thinking of making the switch but curious of the pro/cons??

It has been said already utility irons are easier to hit than traditional long irons.   They launch lower with less spin than hybrids and as a result tend to be a bit more workable.     For some that is a pro and for some that  is a con.  Ultimately you need to figure out how those clubs fit in your bag and do they enable you to do what you need to do on the course. 

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG