Testers Wanted: Newton Driver Shafts ×

How'd you play?

MmmmmmBuddy

On 6/5/2024 at 6:58 AM, sp0rtsfan86 said:

I've hit that point. Time for a lesson- it's been 4 weeks since my last good round with rounds ranging from "promising" to downright "disastrous." The problem mainly is distance. I've lost a full two clubs on every one of my irons and woods, and then will randomly get it back usually when I block a shot right. 

Last week I talked to the pro and showed him a video. He gave me a quick tip that took me back to the promising end of the spectrum yesterday. Carded the same 47 I did the last time I played this 9 in league but had a lot more shots go right where I aimed them and gained a few yards back. With the lesson today, I'm hopeful he will find the solution to my loss of distance.

Hang in there. Keep a positive outlook as you dig into things. And have fun my man.

D- Ping G 400 SFT

16*- Adams Tight Lie

19*- Adams Tight Lie

4H- Ping G 400

5-U- Ping G 400

SW- Nike

56*- Ping Glide 2

P- Sub70 004 Mallet

13 hours ago, anth715 said:

Game of two sections last night, of the tee was all over the place. left, right, topped and down the middle it was luck of the draw.  Good job my short game and putting were playing nice. Why cant everything just work and not play up.  But I was fairly happy with the score to my handicap but left a few birdie putts short which annoys everyone. 

@anth715 I hear ya. It's called golf. Amazing how things work out. But I digress, welcome to the forums. Keep checking in and you'll be amazed at how something little you read just happens to "click". Welcome.

D- Ping G 400 SFT

16*- Adams Tight Lie

19*- Adams Tight Lie

4H- Ping G 400

5-U- Ping G 400

SW- Nike

56*- Ping Glide 2

P- Sub70 004 Mallet

Played 9 today. Pretty windy, 20-25 but that seems to be the norm this year. Happy with the score but ball striking/aim was off a little bit. Only hit 1/2 of the greens that I normally do. But my scrambling/chipping helped keep me close the pin for 1 putt pars. I guess my takeaway for today is it's good to know (confidence) I can trust other aspects of my game to step up when other aspects are less than stellar. Driver was a big help, 6 out of 7 fairways.

D- Ping G 400 SFT

16*- Adams Tight Lie

19*- Adams Tight Lie

4H- Ping G 400

5-U- Ping G 400

SW- Nike

56*- Ping Glide 2

P- Sub70 004 Mallet

It was a very lackluster round today. Ended up shooting 78 with a very inconsistent game. For some reason some greens were cut and others weren't so putting was a nightmare. Driver was hit or miss and irons were ok. 

It was only a heat index of 105 or something like that and I was def feeling it. 

Tomorrow is another round. 

:callaway-small: Paradym TD Driver w/ Ventus Blue 6S

:ping-small: 3W

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 5's (4-6) w/ KBS Tour V

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 7's (7-PW) w/ KBS Tour V

:titleist-small: Vokey Wedges 50* 54* 58*

:L.A.B.: DF2.1 Putter

I played a scramble today, and absolutely nothing went right except putting, and that was mediocre.  It's consistent though - every one of my last five - ten rounds has been worse than the one before, until today I was topping and shanking the ball like a total beginner with driver, irons, etc.

It may be time to stop playing for a few weeks, and just try Golf 101 by hitting 9 irons until I can do that again, then move up to Golf 102 and try 8 irons, etc.   Something's gotta give.  This is not much fun.

Working at getting better ... and very slowly getting there.

•  :callaway-small: Paradym 🔹🔹🔹 8* (:accra:  Shogun Blue M0 Otto-Phlex)
  •  :taylormade-small: Brnr Mini driver 13.5* (:accra: FX 3.0 140 M1 Otto-Phlex)
  • :callaway-small: Paradym X 4 and 5 Hybrids
  •  Maltby TS3 (4-8)/TS4 (9-PW)/TS1 (GW) (shafts:  :projectx: LZ 6.0)
  • :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore 53*, and 58* mid wedges (:projectx: wedge shafts 6.5)
  • :L.A.B.: DF 2.1 (BTG shaft)
  • :redrooster: Gloves

My Official 2024 TaylorMade Qi10 Review:  https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/62804-taylormade-qi10-drivers-2024-forum-member-review/?do=findComment&comment=1014200

My Official 2023 Red Rooster Sussex Glove Review:  https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/58614-2023-mgs-forum-member-test-red-rooster-sussex-golf-glove/#comment-911042

Tweaked my back last Monday and couldn’t play till today- took it easy first few holes and just swung easy-

every fricking time a play after injury and swing “easy”, I shoot low- and it happened again today- 

moral of this story- quit swinging so hard…

:titleist-small: TSr2 on tensi blue stiff

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:callaway-logo-1: Epic Max 5 and 7 woods on HZRDUS  Reg flex

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym 9 wood on HZRDUS reg flex

:taylormade-small: P770 / P790 combo set on Ventus R-6 shafts 6-AW

:mizuno-small:  T22 Denim Copper 54°, 58° on Kinetic X Trajectory 

:EVNROLL: ER3 or,

:edel-golf-1: E.A.S. #4   (“Fang” or “Adele”)

:titelist-small: ProV1x, or, Maxfli Tour X

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 , or Sketcher shoes

8 hours ago, IndyBonzo said:

I played a scramble today, and absolutely nothing went right except putting, and that was mediocre.  It's consistent though - every one of my last five - ten rounds has been worse than the one before, until today I was topping and shanking the ball like a total beginner with driver, irons, etc.

It may be time to stop playing for a few weeks, and just try Golf 101 by hitting 9 irons until I can do that again, then move up to Golf 102 and try 8 irons, etc.   Something's gotta give.  This is not much fun.

Sorry to hear that, I’ve had those times as well.  I try to simplify things when they start going awry.  Is there a particular club that you like and generally hit well?  Maybe start with that to get some positive thoughts back…it’s tough.

I get in bad habits and my swing gets long, which throws things off…and in an effort to “help” get out of it, my swing gets even longer which makes it worse.

Rooting for you to get out of the slump, it will come!

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Driver

TaylorMade Stealth 3 wood

Titleist U510 Hybrid (3H)

TaylorMade Tour Preferred CB Irons

Vokey SM8 Wedges (52/56/60)

Odyssey Ai-ONE 7S Putter

Just played sim golf tonight with a mate (X-Golf for the Aussies here), and shot a -2 at Pebble Beach on the professional setting, so no ball speed assist, full speed greens etc. Everything was just clicking and I was swinging smooth and free and everything felt great. Always good to be able to (sort of) play a round late after work on a Friday while its 7c weather outside

Driver - :cobra-small: King SZ 1w 7.5° w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 110MSI 60x

Woods - :cobra-small:King SZ Big Tour 3w 13.5° w/ Fujikura Pro 65, King SZ 5w 20° w/ Tensei CK White 70

Driving Iron - :cobra-small: King Utility 2i 16° w/ Project X Hzrdus Black 85

Irons - :callaway-small: Apex '24 Combo set - 4i Pro, 5i-8i CB, 9i-10i MB w/ KBS Tour V 120 X-Stiff

Wedges - :callaway-small: MD5 Jaws 52° - S 10° grind, 56° - C 8° grind, 60° - C 8° grind w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner Tour Issue 115

Putter(s) - :odyssey-small: :callaway-small: :scotty-small: :titleist-small: :ping-small:  :nike-small: :wilson-small: O-Works 2 Ball Black, Big Bertha Warbird, Special Select Squareback 2.0, Red X2, Bullseye Original Flange SC, Bullseye Standard Flange SC, OG Bronze Anser, Method Midnight 007, R.Mendralla 8802

14 hours ago, Dweed said:

Hang in there. Keep a positive outlook as you dig into things. And have fun my man.

It's been rough. I took a lesson and am basically doing a full swing overhaul-- moving my elbow way up from where it has been. That change and a few other major  moves like controlling instead of flipping my wrists are now part of the plan.

I did manage to shoot 45 even with the major overhaul... so progress? Normally I'd be a bit underwhelmed but felt like I didn't play awful and was getting some of my distances back.

Driver:   :callaway-small:  Epic Flash 12 Degree

Wood: :callaway-small:  GBB 3 Wood
Hybrid: :callaway-small: Razr 4 hybrid stiff stock shaft.
Irons: :callaway-small: X2 Hot 4 iron (pro version) 5 iron - Gap Wedge (non pro version).  KBS 120g Shaft stiff cut 1/2  inch bent 1°upright
Wedges: :vokey-small: 52° 56° and 60°.
All grips are Golf pride grips midsized
Putter (lefty):  Odyssey Metal-X #8 34", stock shaft bent 2° Superstroke grip
Golf Balls:   :callaway-small:  Tour X 2024
Shoes:  :footjoy-small:  Dryjoy tours or Sketchers Max Fairway Go 4

After walking 36 holes at Bandon yesterday, the body is achy and slow to move this morning. Both rounds started off shaky going +5 in the first 7 holes at Bandon Dunes and +6 after the first 7 at Bandon Trails. Once my nerves settled at Dunes I finished with an 80 and and 77 at Trails. It was well worth the aches this morning. Can't wait to go back sometime soon. More info and pics shared in other threads.

Driver:  cobralogo.png.60692cdc05482efd83e68664e010b95f.png Aerojet LS, Ventus Velocore+ Blue Shaft - 6S
4 Wood:  callaway.png.e65d398fb0327017a369499fc6126064.png Rogue ST Max 16.5, Tensei White Shaft - 7S
Utility Iron: mizunopro.png.90cc4fb9895830e28063d9a5be416145.png Fli Hi 3-iron, HAZARDOUS Smoke Black Shaft - S
Irons:  mizuno.png.f0e7b21135cb6273b3c1430866904467.png JPX 921 Tour 4-P, Project X Shafts - Stiff 125g
Wedges: cleveland.png.f21f4d2361520fdf1bbd9d515a2f11e6.png 52º, 56º, 60º
Putter:  odyssey.png.58c727e37eb7efda62bce4f7b8881bd9.png Ai-One 7 T CH, 34"
Preferred Ball: srixon.png.f177578dda27a20ef80a0a8b1ae96e3b.png Z-Star Diamond
Pushcart: bagboy.jpg.0dda53b5175958e1b5686f22b90af744.jpg Nitron
Rangefinder: bushnell.jpg.c51debd06066fa243dea7f14d69a8dba.jpg Pro X3+

I was able to play in a scramble with some old army buddies. It was great. We did "super OK", I didn't warm up well, and the first couple of holes were a write-off. My driving was not great for the most part, luckily there were some in our group that excelled at it. Because I am a relatively new golfer and this is a fun scramble more than anything I used the opportunity to practice skills that I struggle with.

I made some great recoveries from the bunker and was able to sink some far (for me) putts. This saved Par a couple of times. There were some shortcomings, but the experience was overall a win concerning some of the skills I struggle with.

The scramble was only 9 holes. After this,  a couple of us decided to book another 9 at a nearby course. It was the afternoon by then, and the heat was taking a toll on us. Especially towards the end. We all made sloppy mistakes as we were getting fatigued from being in the sun, but I did manage to get a par, on a short but very narrow par 3 hole. My score is trending downwards overall, I had a great time with close friends I can't see often because I moved away, and I was able to practice some weaker parts of my game. It was a very successful excursion.

JD

On 6/4/2024 at 11:46 AM, RetiredBoomer said:

We played a quick nine this morning, and I did OK.

Seem to be doing more of that lately,
even though we ride.

We'll try for a full round on Thursday.

Well, yesterday we played all eighteen, and I had another decent round.
It's been a decent year so far, but I haven't broken 80 yet.

That's usually a hot weather thing for me,
but let's see if I have any more sub-80 rounds left
in this decrepit old body.

It's far from a given.

20 hours ago, Rob Person said:

Played 18 after GC duties.  Had a massive storm roll thru an hour before my shift ended. So everyone stuck around.glues to the weather system broadcast on the main club TV. So yeah,  course was packed for my tee time.

I did have some great shots, and many missed opportunities! 😔 

The caviat to all this was that my friend averages 270 on his drive, so we both played 1 up from the tips. My only goal was to do my darnedest to maintain a sub 90 round.  The 4hy definitely earned a place in my bag today, as it was my most successful and reliable club for the round. I manged to flush a few shots between 170 and 190 with it.  Whatever magic bean they put in this club, I need 8 more! 😆 

I barely broke 90 though,  and considering the yardage we played, I'm very satisfied!!!

Worst drive - a beautiful fade around a large tree protruding into the fairway. Why the worst? Because that little ball hit a root or something and ricocheted straight into OB land!!! 😠 

Best drive- the 600+ yard par 5. With rollout, 255 yards! 😊 

I did Come up short a number of times on approach and some were deep lipped bunkers. I struggled there too. 😔 

We aren't going to talk about my putting today though. I misread nearly every single break!!! 

I may play from these tees again just to keep challenging myself to get to 85!

Only got a few pics.

20240606_131300.jpg.43a35dc52b2eb6d4a8a1cc3f1f84eb7c.jpg

20240606_144906.jpg.f79d062688056df995d5616ba6e70832.jpg

20240602_152434.jpg.0ad1eed6d9d3e28ea2801b7d5a979caf.jpg

20240602_152445.jpg.6efed20b610aae0815b64934f22ee2d2.jpg

20240606_204541.jpg.26e40119ca9e1f3b598a9d2adf45b3d0.jpg

Love the pics of the dillos. Hell ya nice drive for sure.

D- Ping G 400 SFT

16*- Adams Tight Lie

19*- Adams Tight Lie

4H- Ping G 400

5-U- Ping G 400

SW- Nike

56*- Ping Glide 2

P- Sub70 004 Mallet

Here's a question for all of those that play when the temps are above 90 and heat index in the low 100's. What do you do or use to help you control your body temperature? I realize hydrate before going out and during play but what other hot weather tips do you have?

D- Ping G 400 SFT

16*- Adams Tight Lie

19*- Adams Tight Lie

4H- Ping G 400

5-U- Ping G 400

SW- Nike

56*- Ping Glide 2

P- Sub70 004 Mallet

25 minutes ago, Dweed said:

Here's a question for all of those that play when the temps are above 90 and heat index in the low 100's. What do you do or use to help you control your body temperature? I realize hydrate before going out and during play but what other hot weather tips do you have?

Drink lots of water. Occasionally add a hydration boost packet (Liquid IV) and keep on the fluids. 

• PING G400 LST Mitsubishi Tensei White 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

7 hours ago, TheSudds said:

Playing bogey golf with Vice Tour (part of forum member testing) check it out! Like and subscribe for more golf and life related content. 

That opening par 5 at Indian Trace is a monster! I'm usually playing it off the white tees and at almost 600 yards, it's tough. That second green had some major break down the hill and on sidehill lies can really be tough. 

Enjoyed the video and I'm glad that the Vice balls are working out for you. 

31 minutes ago, Dweed said:

As you mentioned, hydrate well before going out, but also a lot of water while on the course. I would recommend a16oz bottle every 2 holes at a minimum. @bens197 suggestion on liquid IV is also a good one to add electrolytes to the system. Stay away from caffeinated drinks and beer as they will do more to dehydrate you than you realize. I also use a "froggy toggy" towel to wipe my face occasionally and drape around my neck to help keep cool.  Light colored clothing also helps.

TSR1, 9*, TPT Nitro 17 Lo

TSR1, 15*, TPT Power Range Fairway 17 Lo 

TSR2, Hybrid, 18*, TPT Power Range Hybrid 17 Lo 

T-200, (2023), 5-PW,  SteelFiber, i95cw, S 

Vokey Design - 50 & 54, SteelFiber i95cw S, and Vokey S10 - 46 & 58, SteelFiber i95cw S

Odyssey JAILBIRD 380 Limited Edition

ELIXR (2022), MaxFli Tour S (2024)

Shot a +7 42 tonight, 6 of 7 fairways but only 3 GIR. Chipping and 2 putting was the story of the night. Started with a 272 yard drive that led to my only par of the night, but I did sink a 15’ downhill putt for my only birdie on the night, on a short par 3. 

In my Big Max hybrid bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:wilson_staff_small: D200 6i-GW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:maxfli: Tour S

44 minutes ago, sirchunksalot said:

That opening par 5 at Indian Trace is a monster! I'm usually playing it off the white tees and at almost 600 yards, it's tough. That second green had some major break down the hill and on sidehill lies can really be tough. 

Enjoyed the video and I'm glad that the Vice balls are working out for you. 

You local man?! Awesome hearing someone who is familiar with the course! 

Thanks,

Evan Suddeth PT, DPT, CSCS, TPI

14 minutes ago, TheSudds said:

You local man?! Awesome hearing someone who is familiar with the course! 

I'm up in Cleveland and have a friend that lives in Dalton and we play there from time to time. I really love the opening stretch of the back nine down there, 10, 11, and 12 are all fun and challenging. I knew I had to watch the video when I saw where you were playing. 

Played Saluda valley today and the struggles of late continue. I Shot a 93 ,1 birdie,3 pars, 10 bogeys and 4 others. I cant seem to groove anything lately and by the time i start to figure it out it is way too late. Good thing I love this game.

D TM Sim 2 65g Tensi Blue Stiff

3W TM Sim2 Ti 65g Tensi Blue Stiff

5W TM Sim2 Ti 65g Tensi Blue Stiff

4-G Maltby KE4 Max Matrix Ozik Program F15 85g Stiff

54º Cleveland CBX Project X Catalyst Spinner 80g

60º Cleveland CBX Full Face 2 Project X Catalyst Spinner 80g

17 hours ago, Dweed said:

Solar sleeves, wide brim white hat, chilly towel (that you wet and wrap around your neck). If you walk with a push cart get a solar reflective umbrella, too.

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym AI Smoke Max (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
3H...Cobra King Tec (MMT 70/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha '19 (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
SW, LW...Mizuno ES21 54-08, 60-06 (KBS Hi Rev 2.0)
Putter...
MLA Tour XDream or EvnRoll ER5
...all in a Bag Boy hybrid bag on an MGI Zip Navigator.
..ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour. Or "found" Pro V1.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)
Other tests: MLA putter; Cleveland Hi Bore driver; Ben Hogan hybrids.

followthrough.jpg

On 6/6/2024 at 10:47 PM, Rob Person said:

Played 18 after GC duties.  Had a massive storm roll thru an hour before my shift ended. So everyone stuck around.glues to the weather system broadcast on the main club TV. So yeah,  course was packed for my tee time.

I did have some great shots, and many missed opportunities! 😔 

The caviat to all this was that my friend averages 270 on his drive, so we both played 1 up from the tips. My only goal was to do my darnedest to maintain a sub 90 round.  The 4hy definitely earned a place in my bag today, as it was my most successful and reliable club for the round. I manged to flush a few shots between 170 and 190 with it.  Whatever magic bean they put in this club, I need 8 more! 😆 

I barely broke 90 though,  and considering the yardage we played, I'm very satisfied!!!

Worst drive - a beautiful fade around a large tree protruding into the fairway. Why the worst? Because that little ball hit a root or something and ricocheted straight into OB land!!! 😠 

Best drive- the 600+ yard par 5. With rollout, 255 yards! 😊 

I did Come up short a number of times on approach and some were deep lipped bunkers. I struggled there too. 😔 

We aren't going to talk about my putting today though. I misread nearly every single break!!! 

I may play from these tees again just to keep challenging myself to get to 85!

Only got a few pics.

20240606_131300.jpg.43a35dc52b2eb6d4a8a1cc3f1f84eb7c.jpg

20240606_144906.jpg.f79d062688056df995d5616ba6e70832.jpg

20240602_152434.jpg.0ad1eed6d9d3e28ea2801b7d5a979caf.jpg

20240602_152445.jpg.6efed20b610aae0815b64934f22ee2d2.jpg

20240606_204541.jpg.26e40119ca9e1f3b598a9d2adf45b3d0.jpg

How can I get my hands on that awesome glove you got? Would love to sport my golf spy on the course!

Thanks,

Evan Suddeth PT, DPT, CSCS, TPI

8 minutes ago, TheSudds said:

How can I get my hands on that awesome glove you got? Would love to sport my golf spy on the course!

It was a group buy offered a few months ago through @GolfSpy_APH and Red Rooster. This is the second time it has been done. Hopefully another offer comes again!

WITB-

Driver  -Titleist 910D, 3w- Titleist 910F, 5hy/7hy- Titleist 910H, 6-PW - Stix , 52⁰, 56⁰, 60⁰ - Stix , Putter- AI-ONE DB / Lombardi Tour 34 custom

Just an old newbie golfer, trying to learn and improve 1 club at a time.