MmmmmmBuddy

How'd you play?

Bob, did you play on the Senior Tour or something, after surgery and an 8 month layoff, you throw up a 79? I sure wouldn't want to play you for any money or skins!

I have a 10am group lesson Saturday, followed by 18 holes!!!

John, I'm just an old man whose game is suddenly in the crapper. I was off 8 weeks (not months) after surgery to remove a super-cyst but I have been back for two months and have several rounds under my belt. Two weeks ago I pulled something around the L5 area and while it is almost healed it still bothers me on some shots. Not a lot of pain but enough to prevent a normal backswing and follow through, especially with shorter clubs.

I had a 1.7 index when I went on the DL and as of yesterday it's 4.4. It would help if I made a putt now and then but that's the nature of the beast.

Good luck Saturday.

Bob

Bob, it's just the first round back, the putter is the last thing that comes around, at least for me it is.

9 holes today, 42, not a bad score, the course was way easy though, but I hit the driver straight on every hole I had to hit it!! Short has been on fire, missed a couple 10 foot putts for birdie that were real close, but I didn't come up short!! That's my goal, to stop shorting putts.

Should I post that I shot a 1 over par 37 yesterday and an even par 27 on a par 3 course today?

Should I post that I shot a 1 over par 37 yesterday and an even par 27 on a par 3 course today?

Nice playing. Showoff

Nice! So much for the winter layoff. :)

Nice! So much for the winter layoff. :)

Nice playing. Showoff

Thanks. At least I didn't post it in the Hacker's Hideout, right? haha

Played terrible on Friday... First time out for the year on a very difficult course... Water on EVERY hole...

I shot a 114... one par...

I'd say about half my shots were really good shots, and the other shots were really bad shots. Since I haven't played in 5 months, I just hit my Hybrid off the tee which was fine since I was straight down the middle, but my second shots were either skulled or shanked, then sometimes a crappy third and fourth and three putts.

Overall, I usually shoot right around 100-105, so this wasn't terrible, but I know I can shoot better. Some shots are great, and I make solid contact, and the ball flies perfect, but others are just sprayed all over...

I just need to work on hitting the ball the same way every time...

http://www.golferielinks.com/content/view/39/105/

layout.jpg

Played terrible on Friday... First time out for the year on a very difficult course... Water on EVERY hole...

I shot a 114... one par...

I'd say about half my shots were really good shots, and the other shots were really bad shots. Since I haven't played in 5 months, I just hit my Hybrid off the tee which was fine since I was straight down the middle, but my second shots were either skulled or shanked, then sometimes a crappy third and fourth and three putts.

Overall, I usually shoot right around 100-105, so this wasn't terrible, but I know I can shoot better. Some shots are great, and I make solid contact, and the ball flies perfect, but others are just sprayed all over...

I just need to work on hitting the ball the same way every time...

http://www.golferielinks.com/content/view/39/105/

layout.jpg

If you are only 9-14 shots over you normal, then you are not too far off. Just keep it in play off the tee, like you are doing, and work on the approach shots.. It can only get better.... Chin up!!!

Looks like a fun course....

Played better today than I did Friday but the putts just aren't dropping. Our bentgrass greens are pristine but a tad slower than I like them and the ball isn't breaking like it should.

Bogeyed hole #2 after a snap hook, a semi-topped hybrid and a poor pitch. No birds and no other bogeys for a one over 73.

I hit 90 balls yesterday afternoon trying to get straightened out and after the stiffness went away this morning i hit the ball solid for the most part.

Life is good.

Men's league opener last night. Course is a short par 30/31.. We played the front. I shot a 32 with 3 bogies and 1 chip in bird. Didn't hit the ball too well, but scored relatively ok for me. i did win a KP on one of the longer par 3's...

Grats Nic, as most, except the golfing machine Bob, I am amoung those just getting the season started

I don't know about you guys but my rounds this year have been fairly consistent with about 40-42 per 9 and 80-84 per 18, current NCGA avg. score is an 83. I've had one bad round which was a 89 and one great round which was a 76. Except for my 89 every round seems to be great till holes 7-9 or 16-18. Its like I am 2 over per side going into those holes and I choke or just mentally loose it.

I don't know about you guys but my rounds this year have been fairly consistent with about 40-42 per 9 and 80-84 per 18, current NCGA avg. score is an 83. I've had one bad round which was a 89 and one great round which was a 76. Except for my 89 every round seems to be great till holes 7-9 or 16-18. Its like I am 2 over per side going into those holes and I choke or just mentally loose it.

Very nice and consistant, I feel a 78 coming on

Very nice and consistant, I feel a 78 coming on

Thanks, I'd like to see another score in the 70s reach my card. On Thursday last week I had another good round that was screwed by 1 freaking hole. I was on the 12th hole which is a 167 yard down hill par 3 and I put 1 OB then just let my emotions take over me and took a 9. Still managed to shoot 83.

Here is my home course scorecard and website: https://oakdalegcc.memberstatements.com/tour/tours.cfm?tourid=43858

the part that kills me is on the back 9 I was even for the other 8 holes. Im just happy that I still managed to shoot an 83. I gotta get a hold of my mental side of my game so I can recover from a ball OB like that.

Warning: massive bragging ahead!

Technically this was not "today's round," it was yesterday's, but I didn't have time to give the round its due yesterday.

After playing well in Myrtle, but struggling with my irons, I came home and made the decision to switch some things for more forgiveness. I finally parted ways with my TM Rescue Mid TP 19* and got an Adams A7 19*, and I pulled the MP-57 heads from my 7-PW and went back to my original MX-23's. These decisions were validated when, on Monday, April 12...

I SHOT 78! FIRST SUB-80 ROUND EVER!

For those of you who are really in need of something to do, here's how it happened, in painstaking detail:

I showed up at the course around 12:30. When I went to pay my greens fee I was told it was only $25 because they were in the process of punching & sanding the greens. I didn't care too much because I'd been struggling with my irons and hadn't played the course in a few years, so my expectations for myself were low. I walked out to the first tee and saw two guys waiting to tee off. I really wanted to play by myself and work on a few things, so I waited 20 yards away until they were off the tee box. Sadly, they took a lot of time to get out of range, and while I was waiting I was joined by another golfer. I was a bit irritated by the turn of events, but didn't mind too much.

Hole #1: Good drive, iron shot to the fringe above the hole, putted from the fringe and the ball just raced past the whole. I was more than a little surprised; I expected slow greens given the beach-y appearance. Burned the lip with a 20 footer, tapped in, and rolled my eyes while I wrote "5" on my card.

Hole #2: Par 5, good drive, good hybrid (the A7 is stupid easy to hit, I made a terrible swing and got a very nice result) to 100 yards. I had the shot from 100 set up perfectly and I butchered it; had an attention-blink and skulled it 80 yards. Mediocre chip, burned lip, tap in...bogey and another eye roll. "One of those days," I told myself. Oh well.

Hole #3: Good drive, mediocre iron shot to 30+ feet. The terrain between me and the hole looks more like a bunker than a green. My first thought is, "If I 2 putt, it will be a major victory," but then I said, "No, F that, make this" and I almost did. 30+ feet, at least two breaks, over the beach, and the ball took a long look into the hole and rimmed out. A very happy par.

Hole #4: Par 3, bad tee shot, bad chip, bad first putt, then I drained a 10 footer center cup. "Well, at least the putter's working."

Hole #5: Good drive, then I pulled my 7I about 20 yards left of the green into a bad lie. I hit a very good shot onto the green, considering the lie, but I have 25 feet left. Strike the putt...bottoms! My playing partner says, "Man, you're making some crazy putts," and I start to feel a bit better about things.

Hole #6: Good drive, crushed the A7 with another mediocre swing (I can't wait to see what it does with a good swing), 50 yard wedge onto the green and two putts. Easy par.

Hole #7: Up and down for par.

Hole #8: Tried to hit a soft 6I into the wind instead of hitting all of it and ended up leaving the ball short and right. Chip and two putts, bogey.

Hole #9: Fairway, green, two putts.

At this point, despite my best efforts not to think about it, I know I just shot 40 and it could have been much better. I start to think that if I can limit myself to 3 bogeys on the back, I'll break 80 for the first time. So after a pit stop, here we go:

Hole #10: Tough par 4. Hit a good drive, and a good, partially-blind second shot to the fringe. Felt a bit cheated when I saw the result, but I hit a respectable chip and drained another 10 footer. 1 par down, need to par 5/8 holes.

Hole #11: Par 5 into the wind. Hit a mediocre drive, but was lucky to find lots of room on the left. Whacked the A7 to within 80 yards of the green, hit a decent wedge, and two putted. Need to par 4/7 and feeling good.

Hole #12: The fairway on this par 4 is nearly perpendicular to the tee box and over water, so you bite off as much as you think you can handle. I took almost all of it and had 80 yards left to the green. Problem was, my angle was terrible, the pin was tight to the front and guarded by a bunker, and the wind was howling in my face. My idea was to hit a lob wedge (usually 80 yards) low and hope it get there. Well, Nic was 100% right, even into the wind, hitting my wedges lower makes them go farther. Ended up about 8 yards past the hole, 2 putts and a par. Need to par 3/6...feeling damned good.

Hole #13: Par 3, uphill, over water. And what club do I need to hit? 6I. Damnit. I hit the ball hard, but it still faded right into a bunker. After a conservative bunker shot, I two putted for bogey. No worries, Matt, no worries, all you need to do is make 3 pars...

Hole #14: Longest par 4 on the course, dead into the wind. Hit my first fade tee ball of the day and the wind eats it up. The ball went barely 200 yards. I needed all of the A7 to get to the green and I topped it 100 yards. I started to panic. Positive thoughts gone, I blade a PW over the green, but I got up and down to save bogey. Now I only have 1 bogey to spare, and my confidence is shaky. I'm starting to think this is going to be another one of those infuriating 80's. FML.

Hole #15: Par 5. Another faded tee shot that the wind gobbles up. FML FML FML. Thankfully, the A7 rode to the rescue and knocked the ball to 100 yards with a great angle. Hit my 52* a bit too far with my new-fangled low trajectory, but I two putted to get off the bogey train. Confidence restored, I just need to par 2/3 holes. Go Matt go!

Hole #16: We walk up to the tee box to see the twosome in front of us sitting on the benches and the twosome in front of them (both 50+) teeing off from the 7000+ tee boxes. And hitting it roughly...150 yards each. Awesome. The twosome in front of us offers to let us make it a foursome. "F!" I think to myself. I hate doing anything that changes my rhythm during a round: playing through, letting others through, joining up, etc. I also tend to be a nervous golfer, and adding new players to the group doesn't help that. Nonetheless, we join up, everyone else hits respectable tee shots and then...drive of the day! 280 into the wind on a perfect line. On the next hole, the twosome in front would ask "Who hit that? I've never seen a ball that long on that hole." Got up to the ball, 50 yards from the green, tight front pin with a bunker in front of it. I was playing the Burner TP (I know, I know, should have been playing the Gamer), so I knew there was no chance of spinning it, so I resigned myself to flying it 50 yards to keep the bunker out of play and having a long birdie putt. Took my swing, perfect contact, the ball flew 48 yards, took one hop, hit the flagstick flush and stopped 2 feet from the cup! Kick in birdie!!! Sub-80 is in the bag!!!

Hole #17: Opted for a hard hard 7I instead of hitting the 6 again, ended up one yard off the left side of the green. Hit an indifferent chip, two putts, bogey. All I need is a 5 on the last hole to shoot 79!

Hole #18: As hard as I tried, I took my driver swing with this thought in my head: "One good drive and 79 is in the bag." Pulled it into the long grass. I ran out in front of the group to look. "As long as I can find it, I can hit it towards the green, chip on, two putts, and I'm good...I just need to find it." Everyone else had hit their second shot and I was resigned to another 80 when one of the two that we picked up on 16 found my ball! It was covered in mud and only 1 yard away from being totally stymied, but it was my ball! I was so happy that I pulled my club, didn't think, and hit the mudball to ten feet. Two putts later...78!

Final stats: +1 on the par 5's, +1 on the par 4's, and +4 on the stinking par 3's. Putted lights out with my gamer Byron 006 and will not be changing anything in my bag for a good long while.

To anyone who read any or all of that, thanks!

-Matt

Well Done sir. Always nice to finally break through. Now just stop thinking about the score so much, and you should be under 80 much more....

Another mediocre round for me in mens league last night. Shot +3 34 with 3 bogies on the shortest par 4's known to man. Funny thing is that I usually eat those holes up, and struggle on the par 3's.... I sometimes really hate this game.