Toura Golf Irons Build Test: 2024 Forum Review

Message added by MGS-Forum-Mod,

Follow our testers main post and build in the following links!

@azstu324 - Main Post 

@ctg44 - Main Post 

@David Leighton Reid - Main Post 

@JRDuck40 - Main Post

Good luck to the testers!   I expect a ton of videos, should be fun!  Some have all the tools, some have a more barebones technique.  Cool.

Edited by GolferXY

-XY
BALL:  Titleist ProV1X
WOODS: Taylormade Stealth2 +, Callaway Epic Flash 3-wood
4- HYBRID: Stealth 2, stiff
IRONS: Ping i525, 6 - W, 1 degree flat, ProjectX 5.5 110 g shafts
WEDGES: Titleist SM9 52, 56, 60
PUTTER: L.A.B Mezz Max Broomstick
BAG: Ping Pioneer 
CART: MGI electric

What a unique test.  Congrats to all the testers!  This very novice tinkerer will be watching this one closely. 

Working at getting better ... and very slowly getting there.

•  :callaway-small: Paradym 🔹🔹🔹 8* (:accra: FX 3.0 140 M0 Otto-Phlex)
  •  :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 & 5 Woods (:Fuji: MotoreX F1 7-S)
  • :callaway-small: Paradym X 4 and 5 Hybrid (:Fuji: MotoreX HB 7-S)
  •  :Miura: CB-57 4-P or Maltby TS3 (4-8)/TS4 (9-PW)/TS1 (GW) (shafts:  :projectx: LZ 6.0)
  • :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore 53*, and 58* mid wedges (KBS High Rev 125)
  • :scotty-small: Special Select Fastback 1.5
  • :redrooster: Gloves
  •  :maxfli: Tour X Balls

Don't count my clubs!  Ha.  The 4 iron, 5 hybrid, and 53* Cleveland are in and out of the bag depending on mood, course, and moon phase.

My Official 2024 TaylorMade Qi10 Review:  https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/62804-taylormade-qi10-drivers-2024-forum-member-review/?do=findComment&comment=1014200

My Official 2023 Red Rooster Sussex Glove Review:  https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/58614-2023-mgs-forum-member-test-red-rooster-sussex-golf-glove/#comment-911042

Congratulations to all of you!

Driver: Taylormade Qi10 Max (Mitsubishi C6 Blue 60S 2022) chosen as one of the lucky testers of the Autoflex Dream 7 shaft!!!

Hybrids: Taylomade Qi10 3 & 4 Rescue (Ventus TR  HB Blue 6R)

Irons: Taylormade Qi 5-PW (Ventus TR Blue 6R)

Wedges: Cleveland RTx 4 52/56/60 Wedges (True Temper Dynamic Gold 105 Tour )

Putter: Cleveland Frontline 10.0

New Gamer Ball: Taylormade 2024  TP5x 

5 hours ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

FeatureToura.jpg

Calling all club builders! We have a very special testing opportunity for you! For many, it is more than just getting on the course and playing, but honing a craft and taking pride in installing and building each club in your bag. Those who want to customize each part of their golf clubs and make their bag stand out for the efforts they put into the build of their golf clubs.

About Toura Golf

Toura Golf was created out of the passion for golf club building. In search of a blank head with no logo, founder Jon found little to no options. So he decided to take matters into his own hands. He created Toura Golf for those like him who love to build their own golf clubs and have an appreciation for a pure forged product that stands out by not standing out. 

The Canadian company is known for their minimalist designs and producing limited quantities of heads as well as some one of a kind models. With wedges, putters, and full iron heads all available for purchase, Toura Golf is a club builder's dream. 

For those who prefer their clubs pre-built, Toura does offer a selection of shafts and grips in which a complete set can be purchased.

Please welcome and congratulate our testers/builders!

@azstu324 

@David Leighton Reid 

@ctg44 

@JRDuck40

We will also have a community vote for best build with a special badge for the winner! Stay tuned and no you cannot vote for @Josh Parker! haha

Congratulations all! Excited to see your creations in progress!

2 hours ago, GolferXY said:

Good luck to the testers!   I expect a ton of videos, should be fun!  Some have all the tools, some have a more barebones technique.  Cool.

Me too!

WITB-Foremost 551's - 3w, 5w, 5-SW (circa 1998), Top Flite 460cc Driver, Adam's 7w, Warrior GW and 60⁰, Odyssey AI-One DB putter.

Just an old newbie golfer, trying to learn and improve 1 club at a time.

Congratulations testers! I’m definitely looking forward to seeing the testers do this one. 

:titleist-small: TSi3 10° w/ Mitsubishi Tensei 1K Black 65g

:titleist-small: TS2 15° 3W w/ Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 6.0 70g

:titleist-small: 818 H1 21° Hybrid w/ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Blue 70g

:mizuno-small: MP-18 MMC 2 iron w/ KBS Tour C-Taper S 120g

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 HM 5-GW w/ Project X LZ 5.5 115g

:Sub70: JB Forged 54° & 58° w/ Project X LZ 6.0 120g

:EVNROLL: EV5.3 Black

I'm looking forward to following along on this one!  I had a great time building mine!

:callaway-small: Paradym TD Driver w/ Ventus Blue 6S

:ping-small: 3W

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 5's (4-6) w/ KBS Tour V

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 7's (7-PW) w/ KBS Tour V

:titleist-small: Vokey Wedges 50* 54* 58*

:L.A.B.: DF2.1 Putter

5 hours ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

FeatureToura.jpg

Calling all club builders! We have a very special testing opportunity for you! For many, it is more than just getting on the course and playing, but honing a craft and taking pride in installing and building each club in your bag. Those who want to customize each part of their golf clubs and make their bag stand out for the efforts they put into the build of their golf clubs.

About Toura Golf

Toura Golf was created out of the passion for golf club building. In search of a blank head with no logo, founder Jon found little to no options. So he decided to take matters into his own hands. He created Toura Golf for those like him who love to build their own golf clubs and have an appreciation for a pure forged product that stands out by not standing out. 

The Canadian company is known for their minimalist designs and producing limited quantities of heads as well as some one of a kind models. With wedges, putters, and full iron heads all available for purchase, Toura Golf is a club builder's dream. 

For those who prefer their clubs pre-built, Toura does offer a selection of shafts and grips in which a complete set can be purchased.

@azstu324 

@David Leighton Reid 

@ctg44 

@JRDuck40

We will also have a community vote for best build with a special badge for the winner! Stay tuned and no you cannot vote for @Josh Parker! haha

As a tinkerer of all things, including golf clubs, this club builder’s test is one I will enjoy following.  Who knows this may be how my next set of clubs happen….

WITB? Ping G400 SFT w/Aldila NXT GEN NVS 55 Aflex ; Ping G410 3w; Ping G400 3h(19), 4h(22), 5h(26) - stock Ping Alta CB R-Flex; Edel SMS 6i, 7i - KBS TourLIte 95 R-Flex; Maltby TS1 8i-9i-PW w/Apollo Acculite 85 R flex; INDI FLX-S wedges (50, 54, 58) w/Recoil graphite shafts -R-Flex and Odyssey AI-One 7T BD Milled (aka Millie), ball choice tends to be Pro-V1 or simliar 3pc urethane balls. 

Congrats, testers. One of the most unique tests by far. This should be really interesting to follow along with and see how you all choose to customize your clubs.

Driver:  cobralogo.png.60692cdc05482efd83e68664e010b95f.png Aerojet LS, Ventus Blue Shaft - 6S
4 Wood:  callaway.png.e65d398fb0327017a369499fc6126064.png Rogue ST Max 16.5, Tensei White Shaft - 7S
Utility Iron: mizunopro.png.90cc4fb9895830e28063d9a5be416145.png Fli Hi 3-iron, HAZARDOUS Smoke Black Shaft - S
Irons:  mizuno.png.f0e7b21135cb6273b3c1430866904467.png JPX 921 Tour 4-P, Project X Shafts - Stiff 125g
Wedges: cleveland.png.f21f4d2361520fdf1bbd9d515a2f11e6.png 52º, 56º, 60º
Putter:  odyssey.png.58c727e37eb7efda62bce4f7b8881bd9.png Ai-One 7 T CH, 34"
Preferred Ball: srixon.png.f177578dda27a20ef80a0a8b1ae96e3b.png Z-Star Diamond
Pushcart: bagboy.jpg.0dda53b5175958e1b5686f22b90af744.jpg Nitron
Rangefinder: bushnell.jpg.c51debd06066fa243dea7f14d69a8dba.jpg Tour V5 Shift

Love this testing and I am excited to follow along. This one may rank as one of the best opportunities ever offered. Good luck fellas!

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

Congrats everyone!  This is going to be fun.  Sure wish I had this opportunity, as I'm a huge club builder.  But I'll be following along your progress for sure.  

WITB:  Do I like Titleist or what? 

Driver:     :titleist-small: TSR3 9* UST Mamiya Proto LIN-Q Blue 

Fairways   :titleist-small: TSi2 UST Mamiya LIN-Q Blue 13.5* 

Driving Iron:   :titleist-small: U500 17* :Fuji:  Blue Ventus HB Velocore 

Irons   :titleist-small: T350 4 & 5, T200 6 - PW UST Mamiya Recoil Dart F4 105g

Wedges    :vokey-small: SM9 48*, SM9 52*, SM8 56* Modus Tour Wedge 

Putter    :cameron-small: Newport 2 w/ Garsen Ultimate grip 

Ball    :titleist-small:  *ProV1 Left Dot

Congrats all! This is definitely one of the more unique opportunities here on MGS, I'm excited to see everyone's sets and hearing about how they perform.

In my Big Max hybrid bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:wilson_staff_small: D7 6i-GW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact

To say that we are all excited for this opp is an understatement! 

@azstu324 

@David Leighton Reid 

@ctg44 

Can't wait to see what you guys come up with. This is going to be a fun one. 

D-  Titleist  TSR2 w Mitsubishi Tensei 50g Stiff 

5w - Titleist TSI w/ Mitsubishi Tensei 65g Stiff

HYB - Titleist TSi 21* w/ Mitsubishi Diamana 65g Stiff

Irons - 4-PW Takomo 101T w/ KBS Tour Stiff 

Wedges - Cleveland RTX ZipCore 52/10 56/12 60/8 w/ TrueTemper T100

Putter - Scotty Cameron Select GoLo S

Ball - Sirxon Z Star XV

Congrats, y'all! This is going to be a very fun one to follow. Cannot wait to see what you all whip up!

Driver:            :cobra-small: Aerojet 9* | Hzrdus Black Gen 4
Fairway:         :ping-small: G410 3W 13* | Alta CB 65
Hybrid:           :titleist-small: TS2 18* | Tensei AV Blue 70 S
Hybrid:           :ping-small: iCrossover 20* | Kai'li White 80
Irons:              :taylormade-small: P790 5-PW | DG S300
Wedges:         :titleist-small: Vokey SM9 | 52, 56, 60 | DG S200
Putter:            :L.A.B.: Link.1 | Accra x LAB

--- LAB Golf Link.1 Review ---

10 hours ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

FeatureToura.jpg

@azstu324 

@David Leighton Reid 

@ctg44 

@JRDuck40

Congrats testers!! I can't wait to see what you all come up with for builds. As a new builder, I'm also curious to hear your trials and tribulations during the process so hopefully I'll have a few things I'll know ahead of time to avoid. Good luck all!

In My Sun Mountain C-130 'merica Cart Bag:
Driver: :taylormade-small: BRNR Mini Driver, 11.5*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX, 60g
Fairway: :Sub70: 949x 3w, 15*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX, 70g
Fairway: :Sub70: 949x 5w, 18*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX, 70g
Hybrid: :Sub70: 939x 4H (21*), Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Black, 90g
Irons: :Takomo: 101's, 5-PW, :truetemper: DG120 S300
Wedges: :Sub70: 286 @ 50*, JBFG @ 54* & 60*, :truetemper: DG120 S300
Putter: :Sub70: 002 Mid-Mallet @ 35", Super Stroke Pistol GT 2.0, Desert Camo
Ball: :maxfli: Tour & Testing :OnCore: Vero X1
Technology: :ShotScope: H4 w/ Tags, Pro L2 Rangefinder

11 hours ago, ctg44 said:

Introduction:

Good morning everyone:

To say I am excited to be a part of this test build and review process is indeed an understatement.  I am married to a very amazing and patient woman who tolerates me being a golf and hockey nut and still plays on a coed adult rec ice hockey team herself.  We are parents of 2 grown young men:  A 24-year-old who graduated college early and is approaching his 2nd anniversary of working in the cybersecurity field after joining the Army National Guard, and a 19-year-old who is doing what is most easily described as a paid internship / trade school program through USA Hockey to become a professional ice hockey official.  After years mostly concentrating on playing, coaching, and (eventually) officiating ice hockey (crazy how much of it there is here in the Dallas area), I got back into golf hardcore when our younger son joined the junior high team in 7th grade (about 7 years ago now), and have gone from shooting in the 90s back to shooting in the low 80s (and on a few occasions, even in the 70s when I've been playing and practicing often enough).  We belong to the local country club where my son's high school team practiced before he graduated last year.  While he had taken the year off of competitive golf because he was too busy as the captain of his varsity hockey team and working a ton every week as a hockey official, we still tried to get out and play when we could together.  I try to play at least twice a week, once for at least 9 holes on my own after work and once for 18 on the weekend with my wife and, if he's in town, our younger son.  I work in an environment that can go from boring to very stressful in a heartbeat, and all things golf help with relieving that stress, whether it's building out a set of irons, practicing in a simulator because it's rained 4 out of the last 5 days, or actually getting to play on the course.

When my kids were growing up, I was known as their teams' "equipment manager" because if something broke or someone needed a skate sharpened or fixed, I was the person to at least ask what needed to be done so their parent (who generally had no idea at all about gear) could properly get it fixed.  I was also the "go-to" for helping my kids' teammates, along with teammates on the adult team my wife and I played on find the right size skates and other gear.  Thus, it's not surprising that when I started playing golf again, tinkering with my gear came naturally.  I started by replacing my own grips a few times, and once that became second nature, I'm not sure I've had a shop change a grip out in 4-5 years.  I graduated into using secondhand marketplaces like eBay, etc., to find good used gear as I had with hockey to be able to fill out our bags for less than going to retail, but sometimes, those clubs would need a reshaft, or a ferrule would have crept up, and I eventually started to experiment with pulling those steel shafts and rebuilding the clubs myself to save money.  I bought a shaft extractor and now have rebuilt several sets of irons for my wife and me. While I know I don't have the same skill sets that some of the other builders in this review group might have, my club builds have been durable and performed well for us over the past couple of years. I hope to show that building your own clubs can be an economical way for golfers to get better gear and very reasonable prices if you are willing to take the time and put in the effort.  

I am really looking forward to having the MGS family along for the ride in this build process, and to that end, I'm incorporating everyone into my build process.  Since I can't decide exactly which ferrules I want to use, I'm running a poll to get your feedback on what you think would look the best.  I chose the Toura Golf (Blank) JCB-Cut Japan Forged CB in the pure raw finish because I'm kind of a nut for raw finishes and can't wait to see how these patina over the testing period.  I created a Google Form to collect your votes.  Please share your MGS Forum username in the first answer and if you decide to share a different option, please ensure the link is safe for viewing at work.

https://bit.ly/MGSTCBCTG44FerrulePoll

More to come soon!

I put my suggestion in the form, also, have you decided on shafts and grips?

WITB-Foremost 551's - 3w, 5w, 5-SW (circa 1998), Top Flite 460cc Driver, Adam's 7w, Warrior GW and 60⁰, Odyssey AI-One DB putter.

Just an old newbie golfer, trying to learn and improve 1 club at a time.

3 minutes ago, Rob Person said:

I put my suggestion in the form, also, have you decided on shafts and grips?

I am going to use the X100 shafts and the stock grips (supposed to be similar to a Lamkin Crossline) that Toura is supplying for us.  I want to give the Toura kit products as much of a shot at making it into the bag long term as possible, though admittedly, the grips have a long way to go to beat out the current leader in the clubhouse, the Golf Pride ZGRIP Plus2, or my previous groups, the Lamkin ST Hybrids.

Thanks for your input.  I seriously can't wait.  Lunchtime is going to be a busy time for the next couple of days as I try to keep up with everything in my inbox and catch up on messages!

This is a great group for this!

Driver: Ping G425 LST, Otto Phlex UST MP5 or GD AD-TP 6X

3 Wood: Nike Covert Tour (@16 deg), Fujikura Motore Speeder

5 Wood: Nike Covert Tour (@20 deg), Fujikura Motore Speeder 

4i Hybrid: Titleist 913h (@24 deg), Diamana Blue Board hybrid

Irons: Taylormade P790 (5-6) & P770 (7-AW), KBS C-Taper 130x (Soft-stepped 1x)

Wedges: Taylormade MG3 TW grind 56 (@55) & 60, KBS C-Taper 130x (Soft-stepped 2x)

Putter: Sacks Parente 91 aka "The Duke", 34 inches

Ball: Taylormade TP5