Do you still carry a 5-iron?

I am 72 years of age. Over the years I have lost distance. The gap between my irons got narrower so that the longer irons all basically all went about the same distance. it became increasingly hard to get the longer irons up in the air. I decided that I would increase the gap in the lofts from 4° to 5°. Now my irons are 60°, 55°, 50°, 45° pitching wedge, 40° 9 iron, 35° 8 iron, 30° 7 iron, and 24° 6 iron. That makes the six iron almost a 4 iron in loft but because of the technology it still goes high. I then go to a four hybrid, seven, five, three wood and driver. The gap between the six iron at 26° and the four hybrid at 24° is just right as the hybrid is longer.

I hate Golf and Golf hates me. I keep playing for the feeling of the well struck shot that actually does what I want it to!

I am 59 and walk the course 90% of the time.  5 is the lowest iron in my bag, and I generally only use it for 2 situations. 1 - the most common being when I am in a place such as under a branch or other obstacle that where I need to keep it low and I use it to punch out and get some decent distance (and I can control it).  2 - if I am in longer rough and I need to get it out and need some distance also (as the woods/hybrids are more difficult in that grass).  I have a 3,5, and 7 wood in my bag and a 4 hybrid that is rarely used.  I could leave the 5 out of the bag and just use the 6 as well I guess.  Years ago I left behind the lower irons of 3 and 4 as I found them too hard to hit and not having much differential for distance, and then for me woods are much easier to hit.  Hybrids I am hit or miss with, sometime i can hit it well but I am much more consistent with the woods. 

image.png.b89fa684b54b186f20c376e6af43ac1d.png 425's- 5i to PW, UW

image.png.4462ac5ffcc9491d68e78951b3a1a587.png  G400 Driver, G425 3W, G425 7W, G425 3H

image.png.cf53a065a6e348c87221c4bf13510375.png 56 degree Hi-Toe wedge

image.png.4462ac5ffcc9491d68e78951b3a1a587.png  Glide 60 degree 

image.png.d4990c8d6330ecc392d9a5124b26165a.png Evnroll ER3

51 here....5-iron is the lowest iron in my bag.  Still have enough speed to hit it (106-108 w/ driver).  It will be the first to likely go when that changes.  I find it helpful to have in the bag for lower-trajectory shots like a punch out from the trees or in windy conditions.  Also, it is the fairway finder for that tight + short par 4 or the dogleg that requires a placement shot...

As of 4/20/24

Driver:   Titleist TSr3 10.0 w/ Tensei AV Series Blue S Shaft

Wood:   PXG 3 wood 15* w/ HZRDUS Smoke Black Low Spin Shaft

2-Hybrid: PXG Gen5 0311 17* w/ EvenFlow Riptide Graphite Hybrid Shaft

3-Hybrid: Taylor Made Burner Superfast 2.0 18* w/ Stock S shaft

Irons:    PXG 0311P Series - 5-7 Iron; 0311T Series 8-W

Wedge: PXG Sugar Daddy 0311 - 50,54,60 degree 

Putter:  EVNRLL ER2 Black

Balls:  ProV1

Still have a 5 in the bag though it is the lowest iron, then a 7 wood.

Cobra F9 King Speedback driver

Ping G410 3 wood and 3 hybrid

Sub 70 949X 5 and 7 woods

Sub 70 699 v2 Pro 5-GW

Sub 70 JB 54 and 60 wedges

Odyssey Ai One 7C White Hot putter

I've used my 5 iron more the last 2 weeks than I have in the past 2.5 years. Im kicking myself for not trying it more consistently before.

I feel it was a confidence thing for me.

Dr, 5w, 4hy, 5i-PW

WITB: 

Driver: Cobra Speedzone Extreme :cobra-small:

5W: Callaway Big Bertha B21 :callaway-small:

4H: Callaway Rogue ST :callaway-small:

5i-PW: Cobra Radspeed :cobra-small:

52°: Vokey BV52 :vokey-small:

56°: Cleveland CBX2 :cleveland-small:

Flat Stick: L.A.B Link 1 :L.A.B.:

Just turned 75. The last set I ordered was Mizuno JPX 221 Tour 6-PW. Haven't carried a 5-iron for some time. Replace a few years ago with PING hybrids 22* and 26*. All my long clubs are PING.

I don’t carry a 5 iron anymore. I carry 60°, 56°, 50°, 46° & pitching wedges, 9, 8, 7, & 6 irons. I carry a driver, 5 hybrid, 7 wood & change between a 4 hybrid or a 5 wood depending on the course I’m going to play. 

Playing golf is very important to me. I enjoy the integrity of the game!

On 5/10/2024 at 8:51 AM, Gbufer said:

These are really solid distances and gaps! 

Not bad for a 63 year old 😊

Taylormade  Stealth 2  10.5*   Fujikura Ventus 5 S (tipped an inch)  @ upright @9.75*

Taylormade Stealth 2    HL 16.5* 3 wood Fujikura Ventus     6 S 

Taylormade Stealth 2   7 wood   Fujikura Ventus   7 S

Taylormade P7MC  5-PW  Aerotech Steelfiber  I 95 gm  R 

Tileist SM09 54 & 60* wedges

Ping Anser    

Bridgestone BXS         

10 hours ago, OldGuyGolf said:

Stop sending me these emails.  The friggin follow  topic undo button isn't working !

You can check out anytime you like

But you can never leave

Callaway woods

Talotlormade irons

Vokey wedges

I'm 71 and took out my 5 iron 4 year ago and now choke way down on my 5 wood or use my 7wood if i need the height. I have been thinking of shopping around for a 4 wood or testing a senior shaft in my 3 wood.

Callaway epic speed driver

Mizuno 3 & 5 woods

Callaway 7 wood

Titleist   AP2 6 thru GW

Titleist Vokey  SM8's 54 & 60

Just a golfer!

I haven't yet turned 50 (that's for next October), but I still carry a 5 iron... and a 4 iron, and hit them both relatively often. The 4 I often use off the tee for shorter par 4 to avoid the trouble of the green complex, to punch out of trouble, and for any approach that's 205 to 215 yards, the 5 iron I use for the obvious 200 yard approach and for playing knocked down shots into the wind. I must say I don't use the 5i as often as the 4i, but hey.
I used to have, when I returned to the game 7 years ago, a 4 hybrid after my 5i, but I do control flight and direction a bit better with my irons so I've converted said hybrid into a 3 (21° of loft) and by closing the loft, that opened the face limiting a bit it's natural tendency to curve viciously to the left. Still, I don't use that often because it's a 225 yards club with a high trajectory and at that distance I'm typically laying up while I would prefer to tee off with either the 4i or the 4 wood... Still, from time to time it comes in handy and as I already only have 13 clubs in the bag, it stays!

Aim small... pray to miss small

My bag: Ping hoofer lite. My driver: Nike Vapor Pro. 4w: Inesis 500. Hybrid: Nike Vapor Flex. Irons (4-PW): Takomo 301 combo on KBS tour X. Wedges: Vokey SM7 52° and 58°. Putter: Cleveland Classic HB1. Balls: Inesis Tour900 yellow.

Reading the comments I do believe age is a factor with long irons unless you're a very low index of course. I'm 41 and still carry a 4 and a 5 iron. I feel mostly comfortable hitting them both off a fairway into a par 5 if the yardage works. I also hit them both quite a bit of the tee where it's very easy to hit them. My irons travel far so on a short Par 4 I often times will hit iron to keep the ball in play, and still be left with 9 iron or wedge in. The 4 and 5 iron can be useful too, when under trees to advance the ball down the fairway and try to save par. I even carry a 2 iron (driving iron) but that's another topic. 

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus, 9* turned 9.75*, Stiff, Mitsubishi Kuro Kage 60g, Cut 1" Short

Hybrid: :adams-small: Pro 2 Hybrid 18* Aldila Tour 75g Stiff 

Driving Iron: Akira Mi118 Prototype Utility 2 Iron

Irons: :taylormade-small: P790, 4-GW Dynamic Gold, Stiff

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore MID 56* & 60*, Bent 2* upright

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: GM2 Exchange 2 Mallet, Center Shaft, Super Stroke 2.0

Ball: :taylormade-small: TP5x

Technology: Blue Tees Golf Series 3 Max Rangefinder

Bag: :sunmountain: Boom 14-Way Cart Bag

I recently updated my clubs and dropped the 5 iron from my bag.  My bag now consists of the following 

Driver - Srixon ZX5 mk II

3 wood - Callaway AI Smoke

5 wood - Taylormade QI10

3 & 4 hybrid - Taylormade Sim 2

6 - Gap wedge - Srixon zx5 mkII

54 & 58 wedge - Cleveland zipcore cbx4

Ken Schickman, MBA

www.thryvflorida.com

Great topic - when I turned 50 the question was 4 iron rather than 5 but honestly they are the same club. 

That was right around when I got rid of 4 iron in favor of my first hybrid for the first time. At 30 I shifted from 2 iron to 5 wood (that was so hard because I loved that 2 iron).  At 40 it was 3 iron for 7 wood. At 50 it was the 4 iron and 3 wood for 4 wood - I also played the best golf of my life after that. 6 iron made it to 65 at least 🙂 

Driver: Taylor Made Xi10 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  R flex   - 44.25 

Fairways:  Ping G410 5, 7, 9 wood  Alta CB red 65 R flex

Hybrid:  Ping G410  26 degree  Alta CB Red 70 R flex 

Irons: Ping G430  7-PW, 45, 50 Alta CB black 65 soft R flex 

Wedges:  Ping 195 S54, E58

Wedges and irons are - 1/2” and one degree flat 

Putter: Sacks Parente Duke 32.5”

Ball: Titleist Pro VI or Callaway Chrome Soft X ls

While not at the same time I was fit for every club in my bag as well as the Pro VI ball. I use the chrome soft x ls on my league course.  It has much softer softer greens than the club that I belong to. 

I’m on a mission to shoot my age - lifetime lowest round is 66 and I’m currently 67. 

Posted (edited)

I do carry one but I’m currently testing the Titleist Utility Build 200 5 iron with an Aerotech steel fiber 95 gram shaft and love it . My old 5 iron is a Taylormade P7 MC and I hit it around 192 yards but hit the Titleist 195 and with more confidence too. So I’m about to put it in play . I have changed the top of bag a little in the last few weeks .

Taylormade Stealth 2 10.5* to a Q10 Max 10.5*

Taylormade Stealth 2 HL 3 wood to the 13.5* Mini Driver 

Still playing the Stealth 5 wood & 7 wood 

Taylormade P7 MC 5 iron to a Titleist Utility Build 200 5 iron 

Edited by THE GOLF GUY

Taylormade  Stealth 2  10.5*   Fujikura Ventus 5 S (tipped an inch)  @ upright @9.75*

Taylormade Stealth 2    HL 16.5* 3 wood Fujikura Ventus     6 S 

Taylormade Stealth 2   7 wood   Fujikura Ventus   7 S

Taylormade P7MC  5-PW  Aerotech Steelfiber  I 95 gm  R 

Tileist SM09 54 & 60* wedges

Ping Anser    

Bridgestone BXS         

I just ordered a seven-wood to add to the bag or replace my five-iron. Our course has many trees, so I would consider keeping the five irons in the bag, as it's beneficial for getting out from under the trees. 

Srixon ZX7 Mk II Irons 5-9

2024 Calloway AI Smoke 3 Wood Max with Oban Shaft

PING G430 MAX 5 Wood

2024 Calloway Ai Smoke Triple Diamond Driver with Oban shaft

Odyssey Versa Jailbird 380 Putter or Many different Putters. Whatever is working at the time

Taylormade 2024 TP5x 

Posted (edited)

Turn 59. Change my 4 iron for a hybrid 2 years ago.  Never really liked hybrids in the past but I’m feeling like it’s much easier to hit 

My 5 iron goes 175 carry and I can hit a green 190 yards as long as there no water in front 

But my consistency is not as good as the 4 hybrid   I think of switching not just my 5 iron but 6 , 7 and 8 irons out.   

I tested a bunch of hybrids 24 degree to 37 degrees at the golf store

and all were high launch and can carry to the green without rolling off. I think I can probably switch out and  try all hybrids from 8-4 some day 

The 16-20 degree hybrids I tried were too “driving” and I felt like a need longer shaft. These degrees were more suited for fairway wood to match up my swing 

Edited by Haro

Posted (edited)

Back when I was young, dumb and full...needless to say I carried all the way down to a 2 iron. Right now, the longest iron I have is a 4 iron and I believe I will be trading that in for a 7 wood in the very near future. I hit my 5 iron very well so should have it for the foreseeable future, but I imagine that will start to be phased out as I continue to accumulate rings on my tree.

Edited by sejohnson
typo

DR:  image.png.5c19d49c43a50cdd92085ac68c4cdeda.png  Callaway Mavrik Sub Zero 9* w/ GD Tour AD W-60 S

3W:  image.png.5c19d49c43a50cdd92085ac68c4cdeda.png  Callaway Epic Speed 13.5* w/ Project X Hzrdus Smoke IM10 6.0

5W:  image.png.5c19d49c43a50cdd92085ac68c4cdeda.png  Callaway Epic Speed 18* w/ Project X Hzrdus Smoke IM10 6.0

4i-PW:  image.png.5c19d49c43a50cdd92085ac68c4cdeda.png  Razr X Forged w/ Project X 6.0

52°/10°S, 56°/8°C & 60°/8°C:  image.png.5c19d49c43a50cdd92085ac68c4cdeda.png  Jaws MD5 Tour Grey w/ TT Dynamic Gold Tour Issue 115 S200

P:  image.png.6b0c0910f5c4dad993eeb3a67e0487b0.png  Studio Select Newport 2.6

Ball:  image.png.0f2de9e80ec97647e7e71165ce5bc99d.png  Titleist Left Dash Pro V1X

Bag:  sunmountain.png.fbfcaedc370ac8cb47e34532ce3b2643.png C-130S Stand Bag

Other: image.png.40b3f95c9dbdadb6967fc9727d0db6d4.png Arccos Smart Sensors

I have a tip that can take five strokes off anyone's game. It's called an eraser.  -Arnold Palmer

I keep hearing that a five iron is being kept for low punch shots. If you play a seven iron two or 3 inches back in your stance it becomes a five iron. Also because it is shorter, it is easier to make solid contact and easier to maneuver if you are in the trees or bushes. This frees you up to have an extra club in your bag. When you are in the trees, the object is not to hit a ball a long way. It is to simply get out safely.

I hate Golf and Golf hates me. I keep playing for the feeling of the well struck shot that actually does what I want it to!

The highest iron I carry in my bag is a 6 iron. Last season, I switched to a 5 hybrid because I've had great success with my 3 and 4 hybrids.

Ping 425 

18* hybrid

22* hybrid

irons - Callaway rogue

Putter - Odyssey AI one 2 ball DB 35¨

I was, on this very forum, recently advised to drop my five iron to get down to the fourteen club limit while still bagging all the utility specialty clubs that I like to bag.

In the end, that's very possibly going to be the route I take. 
For now, while I'm on the shelf temporarily with a minor ailment,
I took my three fairway wood set out of the bag
for a two fairway wood set with a different loft on the shorter one.
We'll see how that works out first.

That made me think of something.
In deciding which clubs to include while configuring a bag,
I wonder if most typical recreational players
actually know the lofts of each one of their clubs,
even when they have extras and thus choices to make.

I do, but maybe I'm just weird.  Probably, because I'm not a technically minded person in general.  I wish that I could still have a 1990s flip phone instead of the complicated smart phone that I have to use now...and I still have a land line!

Please ignore this part if you're bored, but these are my present lofts.

driver...................................13.5°
utility driving iron..............19°
fairway wood....................18°
fairway wood.....................23°
5-iron....................................26°
6-iron.....................................30°
7-iron.....................................34°
8-iron......................................38°
9-iron......................................42°
pitching wedge...................46°
gap wedge............................52-08
lob wedge.............................58-04
utility sand iron...................62°
putter........................................3°

in flux

I’m 42 and still game a 4 & 5 iron. I keep a close eye on my gaps and I think the 4 iron might be gone by the time I’m 50, but not the 5. Then again, who knows what the loft of a players distance 5 iron will be by then…

Driver - Cobra LtDxLS

3 Wood - Ping g410 LST

2iron - Titleist U505

Irons - Ping i59

Wedges - Vokey Sm9

Putter - Mizuno Mcraft IV

I'm 56, and 5-iron has been long removed from the bag. It's not a SS issue as I'm still (thankfully) 110+ mph with driver. I just went the easier route with hybrid.

And last year, I turned the easy route on its head. [emoji6]

After seeing a video of then Korn Ferry Tour, now PGA Tour player Kevin Dougherty about his caddy cutting a 300 Mini-Driver down to 7W length, I followed suit. I already had a 300 Mini collecting dust in the corner, figured, what the heck?

It's been tremendous for me.

https://www.pgatour.com/video/video/6326263643112/kevin-dougherty-shows-off-his-mini-driver

And, above 6-iron, I went unorthodox again with Cobra Radspeed one-length hybrids. They're 7-iron length, look goofy as all get-out, as if kids clubs. But I hit them straight and long. Nearly instantly forgot to care about how they look.

I'm a decent golfer who can still hit 3-iron, as evidenced by a good range session recently with a buddy's. But, for me, it's a question of "why?" Now, 3-iron is a big leap from 5-iron. But, when I can hit other, even silly, clubs more easily than 5-iron?

Then... "why not?" [emoji2369]

I'm firmly in the why-not camp. Regardless of how odd the bag set-up may appear. I'll always just play what works (for me).

I have recently decided on my new titleist t350 iron set to buy 6 thru PW only

the five and lower clubs I question the need for these when hybrids and hy-woods get the ball airborne with a softer landing.

easier to hit off hard fairways no reason for long irons. I’m a 15 handicapper