Testers Wanted: Newton Driver Shafts ×

Callaway Apex Ai200 and Ai300 Irons - 2024 Forum Review

On 9/12/2024 at 7:59 PM, Wib081 said:

So my 921 forged on trackman I can get 190 if I step on my 7 iron. Normal carry on good contact 175 carry consistently. I will say these feel a club to a club and a half longer and I don’t have to step on them. I swing driver fast but my irons I don’t like to and never have tbh. So the fact I can get distance out of them like today is great. I’m 42 and I don’t know how much longer I can swing like o do now with my driver so having these in the bag is quite nice! The thing that shocked me was how quick the stopped! They landed great and with minimal rollout 

Only 42? You can keep that swing speed a good while longer if you look after yourself. My driver CHS is around 110mph right now if I go hard but controlled. I turned 50 earlier this month and I'm slowly returning to the physical condition I was in a year ago (before a couple of niggle injuries early this season). I have no intention of slowing my swing speed down for a while longer. I know the day will come, but my ego enjoys hitting the ball past my younger golfing buddies. Ha ha.

2024 WITB:

Driver::callaway-logo-1: Ai Smoke 🔹🔹🔹 MAX 9* w. Denali 60g 6.5 (XS)

FW woods: :titleist-small:TSR2+ 13* '2W' w. Mitsubishi Tensei White 75X & TSR2 21* 7W w. Mitsubishi Tensei White 75X

Hybrid: :taylormade-small:Stealth+ 3H (@18*) w. :projectx: Hzrdus Smoke RDX Red 80/6.5

Irons: :taylormade-small: 5i-PW: '17 P790 w. :kbs: Tour C-Taper Lite 115X (Incoming soon: :taylormade-small: 4i-PW: 2024 P770 w. :projectx: Rifle 6.0 (+1/4"))

Wedges: :taylormade-small: 50/09 MG4; 56/12 MG4TW Raw; :vokey-small:SM9 60/04L

Putter: :scotty-cameron-1: Phantom X7

Ball: :taylormade-small: TP5x //  :callaway-small: Chrome Tour // Maxfli Tour X

Other: :Arccos:. Gogogo Sport V-Pro rangefinder;  :Ogio: Woode Hybrid Stand Bag; :BagBoy: Nitron push cart.

2024 Tests:

"...pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in space, 'cause there's bugger all down here on Earth!"- Eric Idle

Managed to sneak an hour at our new indoor hitting facility today with the new Full Swing overhead launch monitor.  I forgot to charge my phone before I left for my lunch break and ended up with a paper weight for a phone so unfortunately no photos.  The Full Swing system wouldn't send an email today either so I am going off of mental notes.

My focus and goal today was get a better idea of the yardage gap through out the Ai200 set. Also played a quick virtual 9 holes to work on hitting some golf shots.

Main observations today:

• 10-12yds between every club from PW-6i
  • 20 yard gap from AW-PW
  • 5-7 yard gap at very best from 6i to 5i
  • Low toe strikes offered noticable forgiveness

I expected a little more seperation but I am very happy with very consistent 10-12 yards through the bag.  AW-PW gap may have been from getting warmed up, no worry there yet. More testing needed with 5 iron.  Decent strikes were struggling to get to/past 200 yards with the best topping out around 205-207 today.  That number should be much closer to 215 for optimum yardage gaps.

Bonus thoughts/observations:

• Ai200s feel a little bit heavy compared to my Wilson CB w/ DG 120 S300.  
    • Wonder if swing weight or overall weight is different?
  • Wilson 7 iron (34*) vs Callaway Ai200 7 iron (30*) is about a 1 club difference in distance
  • Wilson 7 iron (34*) vs Callaway Ai200 8 iron (34*), Wilson was a couple of yards longer than Callaway
  • Callaway AW does perform nicely when opening the face on tight artificial turf lie
  • Ai200's performance (subjective & quantitative) improves when tee'd up

Overall fun day, with some decent data collected.  I won't quite say trends are developing just yet, but some ideas are forming.  

Gameday
Vessel Sunday 2.0/ Ogio Silencer
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Dynapwr Carbon | Hzrdus Smoke Black
:callaway-small:  Mavrik 3w | Evenflow Riptide
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png FG Tour F5 Hybrid(20,23) | MCA Fubuki

Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Staff Model CB 5-PW |  DG 120
:titleist-small: Vokey SM7 (50, 54, 58) | DG 120
bettinardilogo2MGS.png.3b311f05930da73872d3b638ef39f51c.png Studio Stock 15
:titleist-small:-ProV1x (left dash)

Romans 10:9

Classic Bag
Jones Collegiate Clemson Stand Bag

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngEye 2 Laminate
:wilson_staff_small: 1973 Staff Dynapower 4-PW

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngAnser

:wilson_staff_small: DUO

12 hours ago, JohnSmalls said:

Managed to sneak an hour at our new indoor hitting facility today with the new Full Swing overhead launch monitor.  I forgot to charge my phone before I left for my lunch break and ended up with a paper weight for a phone so unfortunately no photos.  The Full Swing system wouldn't send an email today either so I am going off of mental notes.

My focus and goal today was get a better idea of the yardage gap through out the Ai200 set. Also played a quick virtual 9 holes to work on hitting some golf shots.

Main observations today:

• 10-12yds between every club from PW-6i
  • 20 yard gap from AW-PW
  • 5-7 yard gap at very best from 6i to 5i
  • Low toe strikes offered noticable forgiveness

I expected a little more seperation but I am very happy with very consistent 10-12 yards through the bag.  AW-PW gap may have been from getting warmed up, no worry there yet. More testing needed with 5 iron.  Decent strikes were struggling to get to/past 200 yards with the best topping out around 205-207 today.  That number should be much closer to 215 for optimum yardage gaps.

Bonus thoughts/observations:

• Ai200s feel a little bit heavy compared to my Wilson CB w/ DG 120 S300.  
    • Wonder if swing weight or overall weight is different?
  • Wilson 7 iron (34*) vs Callaway Ai200 7 iron (30*) is about a 1 club difference in distance
  • Wilson 7 iron (34*) vs Callaway Ai200 8 iron (34*), Wilson was a couple of yards longer than Callaway
  • Callaway AW does perform nicely when opening the face on tight artificial turf lie
  • Ai200's performance (subjective & quantitative) improves when tee'd up

Overall fun day, with some decent data collected.  I won't quite say trends are developing just yet, but some ideas are forming.  

I'm digging those gaps from 6i down. I have noticed that many of us, when we get to the top of our irons have a gapping issue. I'm not even sure I'll keep a 5i in the bag going forward next year due to it being almost the same as my 6i at this point (similarly to you). Plus, I'm far more consistent with my hybrids than my 5i on strike, direction, and distance. Maybe it's just me, but it's something I've noticed on the forum and read in articles - mid/high handicap gap issues with long irons. *shrug*

Driver: :mizuno-small: STMax 230 10.5*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX, 60g
Fairways: :Sub70: 949x 3w / 5w, 15* / 18*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX, 70g
Hybrids: :Sub70: 939x 4h, 21*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX, 80g Hybrid
Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX923 Hot Metal Pro, 5-GW, UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: S23, 54* & 60*, UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter:
Maltby_Logo.jpg.7f7f2f102dcb7b289e419805910e4aab.jpg Moment X Tour @ 35" & 71*, Super Stroke Pistol GT 2.0, White/Red
Ball: :maxfli: Tour CG
Technology:
VortexGolf_Logo.jpg.2ad1215c7b1aa2ccf8d062a73bc72142.jpg Anarch Rangefinder, :ShotScope: V5 w/ Tags Shot Tracking.

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/65161-vortex-optics-rangefinders-2024-member-test/?do=findComment&comment=1089247

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/classifieds/ - DON'T FORGET ABOUT THE CLASSIFIEDS!!!!

27 minutes ago, Shrek74 said:

I'm digging those gaps from 6i down. I have noticed that many of us, when we get to the top of our irons have a gapping issue. I'm not even sure I'll keep a 5i in the bag going forward next year due to it being almost the same as my 6i at this point (similarly to you). Plus, I'm far more consistent with my hybrids than my 5i on strike, direction, and distance. Maybe it's just me, but it's something I've noticed on the forum and read in articles - mid/high handicap gap issues with long irons. *shrug*

Yes, it is fairly common, and I don't think it's the 3* loft difference either.  I think on a "good" strike, the yardages are there, us mere mortals just are not as good a striking it as the club gets longer. 

6 iron seems to be a good spot for a lot of golfers to consider the switch to a hybrid, depending on how you use that slot in the bag.

:taylormade-small: Qi10 - Terra Forza White | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :ping-small: G430 3-Hybrid - Kai'li White 80s

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:L.A.B.: Mezz Max | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | Vortex Blade | Ghost Maverick Black Ops - Forum Edition | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8