Budget Launch monitor help

Vegan_Golfer_PNW

Hey fellow spies. Looking for some insight. I was on the fence of getting a driver fitting (never been fit for driver) or a launch monitor. Still on the fence for either but wanting to get my best option for a launch monitor out of the way. Looking for thoughts on the 2 I listed and if they are even worth it if hitting range balls.

Here are the things I am looking for (I am between the MLM and the R10)

Dispersion of my clubs

Somewhat accurate spin numbers

Somewhat accurate club face metrics for random or experimental practice

Cost 

Subscription (I don't plan to do any simulator stuff so which would be best as just a raw monitor)

Maybe speed training down the road (have a PRGR for that now but would likely sell it)

Are these really with it if I am just hitting range balls?

Many thanks!

Follow my journey to enjoying golf and going low

Driver: :callaway-small:   Epic Max LS :kbs: TD Cat 4 60g 

3wHL: :callaway-small: Rogue ST LS 75x  Tensei AV Blue w/ xlink

7w: :callaway-small:Apex UW 21* MMT 80S

DI: Caley 01X 18* with :kbs: PGH Stiff plus 95g

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with:kbs: Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long, Soft stepped, MOI matched

Wedges     :cleveland-small: Zipcore 

Putter::L.A.B.:Directed Force 2.1 69*/35" in blue 

Ball:  :Snell: Prime 4.0

Shot Tracking: :ShotScope:

Bag: Vessel VLX 2.0

Grip: Lamkin Sonar +  Midsize 

Glove: :redrooster:

My Reviews:

Caley 01X Driving Iron Review 2023

Max Swing Speed Training and Speed Progress: Current Speed 120 in the MGS Speed Challenge (updated 3/15/23)

:1332069271_TommyArmour:TAIII #2  Review here: TAIII Impact #2 Putter )

:cleveland-small: Zipcore Tour Rack 54/full and 58/mid (review here)

th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  2019 Unofficial Review

I've owned both and can tell you unequivocally that the r10 is the better at everything.  The gen 1 MLM is okay at things like distance but will do nothing for any other usable metric. It has apex and you can spend another 90 a year but the it does nothing the non pro subscription that the R10 does. 

R10 for 400. I wouldn't consider the mlm again unless it was well under 200 and at 200 there are other options. Like a voice Cady.  

I should be golfing instead of talking smack on the web.

Like @Off Map Oscar, I’m a fan of the Garmin Approach R10. It’s what I use as my simulator and I love it.  I’m like you @Vegan_Golfer_PNW in that I don’t really plan on getting the subscription. I’m more interested in tracking my dispersion, length, club head speed and  ball speed.  Of course, it tracks way more than that. 

I’ve taken it to the range and use it in my home garage too. I’ve been using g it for about two months and my current favorite way to practice with it is to start on the driving range and then choose one of the more targeted ranges for some short shot practice.  

I’ve added some photos to give you an idea of what I’m seeing 

anyway, good luck

IMG_7108.png

IMG_7107.png

IMG_7110.png

MountainManJeff

I’m on a mission to consistently shoot in the 70’s. 
WITB

Nothing fancy. 
An off-the-shelf bag-in-a-box set of Top Flight clubs from Dicks 

:odyssey-small: Odyssey Rosie EXO mallet outter

I use a pretty cheap TourTrek push cart

i have a Bushnell ion2 Golf watch

:titleist-small: I use Titleist Prov1 golf balls (I also like the :callaway-small: Callaway chrome soft triple track)

home golf simulator is a $50 net, a Garmin Approach R10, and a Motivo golf mat. 

I dont have either of those option but a few staff members have the mlm2(not significantly more $ than the r10) and seem to really like it. Paging @GolfSpy_APH @GolfSpy_BEN @GolfSpy_BOS @GolfSpy SAM

I think that covers the staff members. Oh wait @GolfSpy_KFT had just mentioned thinking of going with one of these options as well.  

I have the Full Swing Kit now and used e6 connect with the Mevo plus last winter. If you are gonna use it inside at all I’m a fan of this software due to being able to practice inside on a hole. Choose a par 3 for irons or a par 4/5 for driver. Much better than just bashing balls at a net or screen for me. 

What is in my Ghost MGS anyday Maverick or Jones MyGolfSpy bag

Driver:   Callaway Smoke AI TD Max 8.5* with an Aretera Alpha One Blue 55/4 shaft @ 44.75” or GD VF 5s @45”

Fairway: :srixon-small: F85 3 wood with a XPhplexx Agera X @ 42.5”

:srixon-small: F85 5 wood with a UST Elements Chrome 7F5 @ 41.5"

:titleist-small: TSR2 7 wood shaft TBD

Driving Iron: :ping-small: Rapture 2-Iron 

Irons: :taylormade-small: P790 Aged Copper 4-PW with Steelfiber I95 R

Wedges:    :mizuno-small: T22 copper 50* and 54* with Steelfiber 95 S

Putter: :cameron-small: 2024 Phantom 5.5 @ 34”

Only advice I would give is give a fun look at what you want now and in 2 or 3 years. If it means waiting and making a bigger splash in 6 or so months I would say it's worth the wait.

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

It’s wasn’t on your list but the Mevo+ covers all this items, particularly the speed training as it plugs into the Stack system app.  I like the FS Golf app for just range work.  The biggest downside, and maybe it’s why it’s not on your list is space requirements. 

Walking ahead of my BagBoy QuadXL w Alphard eWheels
Driver: Callaway Mavrik SubZero 9* Neutral w stock Evenflow Riptide R flex shaft
3W  Titelist TS2 15* Draw w Tensei Blue R flex
3H, 4H Cobra One Length F9 Speedback hybrids (1”short) w Fujikura Atmos R flex shaft
5I-GW Cobra Forged TEC Black One Length (1”short, 2* flat) KBS 90 R flex shafts
56, 60 Cobra King MIM One Length Black (1” short) KBS HiRev2.0 125 S flex shafts
ER7  or Scotty Futura X - 35”

OnCore Elixr (lemon or lime)

@Vegan_Golfer_PNW, I had the MLM and currently use the MLM2Pro. They are both decent options, but if it's within budget, I would give the nod to the MLM2Pro. It isn't as reliant on the iPhone to operate and it contains most of the features you mentioned in your post. The lone exception is that neither model gives the clubface data you are looking for. I can't speak to R10, as I have not used it. 

Dispersion of my clubs - yes

Somewhat accurate spin numbers - yes (with the use of RPT balls)

Somewhat accurate club face metrics for random or experimental practice - no

Cost - This is subjective, but going into the holidays, there are likely going to be deals

Subscription (I don't plan to do any simulator stuff so which would be best as just a raw monitor) - 99/year for MLM, 199/year for MLM2Pro

Maybe speed training down the road (have a PRGR for that now but would likely sell it) - The MLM2Pro has it's own speed training function, but also integrates with Stack, Superspeed, Rypstick, etc.

Are these really worth it if I am just hitting range balls? - For me, the answer is yes. As the combine feature allows for productive range sessions and the ability to measure your current game against benchmarks. Although, the SIM and Practice Range functions have made hitting balls into a net at home a much more enjoyable experience.

WITB:

D: :titleist-small: GT-2 10° w/ GD Tour AD-UB 6s

3W: :titleist-small: GT-3 15 Tensei Black 75 X

3h: :ping-small: G430 18° Tour 2.0/Stiff

7W: :callaway-small: 21° Rogue ST Max LinQ 7X

4i:mizuno-small: Pro 225 with Project X io 6.0

6i-PW:  :mizuno-small: Pro 225 with Recoil 110 f4

50,54° & 58°: :vokey-small: SM-10

P:   :L.A.B.: Link.1

Ball:  :vice: Pro Plus Drip

Bag:  Ghost MGS Anyday 14 way

"And so, we beat on, boats against the current, borne ceaselessly into the past." - Fitzgerald

” The woods are lovely, dark and deep,   

But I have promises to keep,   

And miles to go before I sleep,   

And miles to go before I sleep. - Frost

"That you are here—that life exists and identity,

That the powerful play goes on, and you may contribute a verse." - Whitman

33 minutes ago, GolfSpy_BNG said:

I dont have either of those option but a few staff members have the mlm2(not significantly more $ than the r10) and seem to really like it. Paging @GolfSpy_APH @GolfSpy_BEN @GolfSpy_BOS @GolfSpy SAM

I think that covers the staff members. Oh wait @GolfSpy_KFT had just mentioned thinking of going with one of these options as well.  

I have the Full Swing Kit now and used e6 connect with the Mevo plus last winter. If you are gonna use it inside at all I’m a fan of this software due to being able to practice inside on a hole. Choose a par 3 for irons or a par 4/5 for driver. Much better than just bashing balls at a net or screen for me. 

@Golfspy_CG2 has tried quite a few lm's.  Hey Rob...Any product preference from your experience?

Modern Bag:  :ping-small: G410 LST 10.5*, Hzrdus Smoke RDX 6.5 Flex;   :titelist-small:  915F 3w, Diamana S+ 70 S flex; :callaway-logo-1: Mavrik 18* 5w;  :mizuno-small: JPX 919 HM Pro 4i;  :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged 5 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  Edison 2.0 49*, 53*, 57* KBS Tour 120 S;   :ping-small:  Heppler Fetch;  Ball - :Snell: MTB-X; Bag - Jones MyGolfSpy Edition! 

Shot Scope H4, MG600 Rangefinder

Classic Bag:  Driver - :wilson_staff_small: Persimmon; 3w - :Hogan: Speed Slot; 5w - :wilson_staff_small: Tour Block; 3 - pw - :wilson_staff_small: Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.

On 9/20/2024 at 8:19 AM, Shapotomous said:

@Golfspy_CG2 has tried quite a few lm's.  Hey Rob...Any product preference from your experience?

So yeah i have researched them all and owned several. 

I think before you decide on what yoi need.  You have ro answer two questions will it be used primarily outside on the range or inside into a net. 

Outside i think you lean toward Radar based.  They require a bit more distance in setup from unit to ball but generally track the entire flight.  
Mevo+
Full Swing Kit

MLM2

Inside probably lean toward camera based

BLP

Skytrack

EyeMini

They require less room for setup but only measure ball speed off the face, everything else is calculated   

I have only used Radar based as my use is 100% outdoors   I have owned

Full Swing KiT

Mevo+
MLM2 

R10 

i think the Full Swing and Mevo+ are the fwo best. They are also the two most expensive by a long shot in the radar category  

MLM2 for the price is possibly the best value of all, what you get for less fhan $1,000  

What i love about Mevo+ is the amount of data points and the reports.  

What i liked best about FSK was the ease of use  set it down 8 feet behind you and start hitting   The data appears on screen.  Mevo+ you need a phone of ipad to display the dsta   

Hope that helps  would be glad to answer any questions v 

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

IMO, after the initial period, the MLM is not very useful without paying the subscription. I can't recall what it can still do without it, but if limited to non-subscription capabilities, it's definitely overpriced. Hence I chose the R10 over the MLM2Pro.

By all accounts the MLM performs somewhat better than the R10, so if you're willing to pay the subscription moving forward, it may be your best choice. But the R10 is fully functional out of the box. You can pay for subscriptions to get different things like more e6 courses, Awesome Golf, etc, but the driving range and its data are always available by default, so it's better from a one-time purchase point of view.

As for club face or impact data, you have to move out of the "budget" category to get that.

Good luck!

Victor Bruhn

SW Washington State