Your Brand Opinion: TaylorMade Golf

GolfSpy_APH

Easily one of the biggest brands in golf. TaylorMade has a rich history of making incredible products and has been known for countless things for countless golfers. 

TaylorMade continuously pushes the boundaries of technology and brings flashy, bold new products with every release. 

They have brought immensely adjustable drivers, carbon faces, the spider putter design, PIX golf balls and so much more over their history. The bubble shaft! 

Despite the product legacy and history the brand is not universally praised. We hear more about is this TaylorMade driver going to break or is it durable than any other big brand. I don't know of another brand that has that same question, but we also see those exact same products used by the best players on the planet. At the same time, when I go through various WITB of Forum members, TaylorMade, seemingly, has more full set bags for members than any other brand (14 clubs and bag).

So what is your opinion on TaylorMade? Are they your go-to? What clubs of theirs do you love? What ones do you not like? What is your perception of the TaylorMade brand?

⛳🛄 as of Oct 5, 2024 (Past WITB
Driver:  :titleist-small: GT2 with Graphite Design AD CQ - check out the Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :titleist-small: GT2 with Graphite Design AD CQ shaft (still love my Cobra F7's)

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron                                

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,57 or :titleist-small: SM10 45,49,53,57 degree wedges

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png LINK! Full putter shootout incoming

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

Golf Bag: Ghost Anyday 5.0 Golf bag - Maverick colorway with MGS Logo

Other: Vortex Anarch Rangefinder, searching for electric cart, Red Rooster The Root Glove and more

They have a bullpen of current and former #1’s, and past players such as Day, Rose, Sergio, Ernie.  They have come a long way since the Burner Bubble shafts, and I consider Taylormade a top shelf brand.  There aren’t too many brands on my “top shelf” but Taylormade is on the list.

Driver: Callway Rogue St Triple Diamond 9*

2 HY: Mizuno STZ 230 16* (set to 13.75)

2 Iron: Taylormade UDI 17*

Irons: 2019 Titleist T100S 3-PW

Wedges: Vokey SM6 54* and SM9 48* / Taylormade MG3 TW 56*

Putter: PING Anser 

Ball: Pro V1

Bag: Jones 

I remember my first Taylormade club, a used R7 driver. Then I found an R11 that was marked as a demo at PGA superstore but was still wrapped in plastic. The sales guy tried to take it from me but I got it for a great price. Liked both until I found a Callaway then have been with them since. Haven’t tried the irons recently 

Callaway Mavrick Driver, Callaway Rouge Max 3,5 wood, Cobra 3-4 hybrid, Nike Vrs Forged irons 5-A, Cleveland Zipcore 56,60, Odyssey Marksman

I think very highly of TaylorMade. Friends who have their clubs are more than happy with them. Having said that, the only TaylorMade club that I've owned is an old metal driver with a steel shaft. I haven't avoided them. They just haven't found a way into my bag.

I also think the Penta golf ball was really good, and I'm also a fan of their newest TP5 line.

AKA Dark Horse

State of my game:  "Breaking 85" is the new "Breaking 80".

I have had several sets of TaylorMade irons over the years and they always seemed to be very effective for me. I currently have two sets of irons, my old Sim Max’s with Ventus shafts and my new PXG Gen 6’s. When my swing is struggling I always go back to my TaylorMades to make things all better.

Kevin McDonald

Oh how the mighty have fallen for the everyday player. Product quality has suffered.. crowns and heels coming apart after a ball is struck..its not a race to get the newst greatest out to the market. As a club builder for over 20 years ive witnessed the decline in quality. New clubs ordered .. delivered with wrong specs.. wrong grips.. .355 shafts in .370 heads. Sad to see one of the best golf companies only living on its FORMER legecy of quality and RnA..get back to your roots TaylorMade. Dont become the Chrysler in the Toyota world.

Look sexy but. You absolutely must hit the sweet spot or you are penalized severely.

Tried the stealth plus. Again. mishits, BAD results. Friend had a stealth. Face broke. Now uses TSR3 as do I. My big drives 220 - 225. His 250-260 Consistant even with slight off center hits

Been golfing 63 years.  Consider myself better than average. Play 54 - 72 holes a week in season. 

I am as brand and era agnostic as it comes. I still front line play old TM V-Steel fairways.  I have had the old 7 wood since it was new some 20 years now. As far as newer stuff I have a set of 2014 TM TP CBs put back for whenever I get too old to hit my blades. Those were the set I started back with after breaking my back in 2020. 

I did have a new M-6 driver I traded for. The face ended up separating and I will note I was 65 years old recovering from a broken back. I cannot swing hard enough to crack an egg still had separation in the face along the crown. Now I used to run a golf shop and still have contacts so TM did warranty it. They did send me a new head. As soon as I got it I put it together and sold it. I have seen too many TM drivers have problems.

One of the reasons I went with an older Callaway Alpha driver. I also have an older Honma G1-X for a back up. If all of that fails I can go back to persimmon before paying $600 for any new driver

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Speeder 565 R flex- - 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R---- Irons 5 thru PW 1980 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex steel shafts--- SW -- Cleveland 588 56* S-400 Sensicore --- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter 1997 Scotty Cameron Santa Fe Fluted Bulls Eye shaft--- Bag TM Flex Lite Stand---- Yeah I know only 11 clubs 

G

I don’t care for TaylorMade products, but my primary reason won’t register with anyone else here.

I had TM Burner Bubble D-3-5 in the mid 90's. They were OK, but I haven't bought anything from TM since...

Edited by Middler
  • Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • LAB DF3 w Accra
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 001 F (mesh), Payntr X 005 F, Ecco Biom C4

4 hours ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

Despite the product legacy and history the brand is not universally praised. We hear more about is this TaylorMade driver going to break or is it durable than any other big brand. I don't know of another brand that has that same question, but we also see those exact same products used by the best players on the planet. At the same time, when I go through various WITB of Forum members, TaylorMade, seemingly, has more full set bags for members than any other brand (14 clubs and bag).

So what is your opinion on TaylorMade? Are they your go-to? What clubs of theirs do you love? What ones do you not like? What is your perception of the TaylorMade brand?

I have played the TM golf balls and think that they hold up well. 

Surprisingly enough, I have never owned any of their clubs... I take that back, I won a 60* wedge in a scramble one time and just won another this past week but it was right-handed and I gave it away.  

Love the look of the new CB irons and have hit the woods good, but never have put them in the bag.  

Edited by Josh Parker

Titleist GT3 11* Tensei 1k blue

Titleist TSR2 4w 16*

Titleist TSR2 5w 18.75*

MKII ZX 5's (4-6) w/ KBS Tour V

MKII ZX 7's (7-PW) w/ KBS Tour V

Vokey SM9 Wedges 50* 54* 58*

DF2.1 Putter

all TaylorMade baby!! it feels like make them just for me. I ventured out and tried other clubs but I keep coming back to the feel and workability. When I miss its on me and not the club. My fellow gamers tell me when I flush the irons they don't hear the impact and the ball flight is amazing!!

I have given up trying others... Hey TaylorMade how about some phantom black on the new 790s? I love the feel but want them in black

Thank you 

tmlogo.JPG.0367b02a28c6a9fcb72d4b6aba7d1c5c.JPG

Driver - Taylormade Stealth 2

Fairway- Taylormade Stealth Plus

Hybrid - Taylormade SIM2

Irons - Taylormade Phantom Black

Wedges - Taylormade MG2

Putter - Taylormade Spider GT Notchback

Balls - Taylormade PIX

I like Taylormade.   Over 50 years ago, my clubs were hand me downs Hogans from my father.   I soon switched from persimmon to Taylormade 9* Burner (could hit draw/fade at will)...   Then switched to orig Big Bertha, when those swept the market.  Then a Titleist 975 for many years.   Reluctantly switched to Taylormade R7 Christmas gift from wife.   Then all my friends switched to 460 cc, and high tech wars....

I resisted, until they outdrove my R7.... and I had to update to Titleist 915D.   I had demoed Taylormade M1 and M2, but neither worked; so stuck with Titleist.   Newer Titleists maybe only helped 5 yds; so did not upgrade.

Even took the PXG $100 challenge, which did not improve distance; was not paid, as PXG nosed out 915 by less dispersion....

Tried the M4; but again didn't help.  So still gaming the 915.

However, inheirited set of TM Sim Max irons.... which took 6-7 rounds to dial in.   lofts were 7* stronger than my old BeCu Ping eye 2's....

I now like the Sim Max and think TM quality as good as any other brand.

note:   my Vokey 52* is still my fav around the greens....

note 2:  I was way younger... and could control the Burner both ways.   the BB was only power fades.   the 975 probably was the fav because it was the longest; but current 915 has been in bag a long time.   played the pings 40 years.... only switched to sim max because clubs were given to me.   

Edited by mywong23

Titleist 915 D2

beryllium Ping eye2

Vokey wedges

Odessey 2 ball putter

I personally love Taylormade as a brand! I had the M1 driver until a little over a year ago until I cracked the head. Although they didn’t warranty it because how old it was, they still gave me a 30% off code for future products. 

I’ve considered buying the M1 head off eBay a few times just because I really, REALLY love that driver haha!

I have owned TM woods and have played with their most recent iteration of golf balls. I was not a fan of the golf balls; however, I do like their woods. I have owned several of them over the years.

Edited by Lefty11

PXG 0211

15* Taylormade Sim 2 max

18* hybrid (Taylormade)

22* hybrid (Adams)

25* hybrid (Tour edge)

irons - Callaway Big Bertha 2002 (It's a long story!)

Putter - Odyssey AI one 2 ball DB 35¨

7 minutes ago, Josh Parker said:

I have played the TM golf balls and think that they hold up well. 

Surprisingly enough, I have never owned any of their clubs... I take that back, I won a 60* wedge in a scramble one time and just one another this past week but it was right-handed and I gave it away.  

Love the look of the new CB irons and have hit the woods good, but never have put them in the bag.  

Played a TP5 the other day and was easily the longest golf ball I have used all year. 

I have P770 on order, but not sure when they will arrive. 

⛳🛄 as of Oct 5, 2024 (Past WITB
Driver:  :titleist-small: GT2 with Graphite Design AD CQ - check out the Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :titleist-small: GT2 with Graphite Design AD CQ shaft (still love my Cobra F7's)

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron                                

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,57 or :titleist-small: SM10 45,49,53,57 degree wedges

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png LINK! Full putter shootout incoming

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

Golf Bag: Ghost Anyday 5.0 Golf bag - Maverick colorway with MGS Logo

Other: Vortex Anarch Rangefinder, searching for electric cart, Red Rooster The Root Glove and more

Mark King is (still) responsible for whatever negative perceptions about TaylorMade are left.  Since then, the company has been better.  Especially with release cycles.

TaylorMade will always be known as an innovative company that pushes golf club design.  Someone has to do it; otherwise, the industry would stagnate.

Started playing TaylorMade drivers when they came out with the first Pittsburgh Persimmon , loved them then and until I bought my first Ping driver had been using their newest and best since - have some of their irons and they are excellent as well , only issue was I cracked the face on two TM drivers in the past , still love their products 

Ping driver 

ping fairway

tour edge irons 

Cleveland wedges

Scotty mallet

Started getting serious about golf in the late 80s when I was in junior high and was fortunate to have a set of the popular Tour Preferred irons back then.   It was a great way to learn how to hit the ball learning the game.  Over the years I have had a few drivers and had very good luck with them.  When I got older I gravitated towards Ping, and then Mizuno and now Titleist.   I was using an M5 driver until something broke near the neck and now I can't get the shaft out of the sleeve. 

Taylor Made M5 9 loft

Callaway X-Hot 3 Wood 14.5 loft

Callaway Super Hybrid (3) 18 loft

Callaway Apex 21 4 hybrid 21 loft

Callaway Super Hybrid (5) 24 loft

Titleist T100  5-PW

Vokey SM6 52, 58

Scotty Cameron California Coronado

26 minutes ago, Middler said:

I don’t care for TaylorMade products, but my primary reason won’t register with anyone else here.

Oh I think it will with me---- I see your signature---- With me being brand agnostic I say play what works

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Speeder 565 R flex- - 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R---- Irons 5 thru PW 1980 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex steel shafts--- SW -- Cleveland 588 56* S-400 Sensicore --- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter 1997 Scotty Cameron Santa Fe Fluted Bulls Eye shaft--- Bag TM Flex Lite Stand---- Yeah I know only 11 clubs 

G

I love Taylormade.  The clubs look good and they perform well for me.  Have been playing TM clubs for over 20 yrs now and dont regret it one bit.  My 3w is an SLDR TP.  After all these years that thing is still a rocket.  

In My Bag

TM Qi10 Core, PX HZD Smoke Black, 6.5 

TM Qi10 5W, PX Hzds Smoke Black, 6.5

TM P-UDI 2i, PX Hzds Smoke Black, 6.5

TM P790 4-PW TT DG X100

TM Hi Toe Raw 50, 54, 58

Evnroll ER5 Hatchback

Titleist Pro V1 Yellow

25 minutes ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

Played a TP5 the other day and was easily the longest golf ball I have used all year. 

I have P770 on order, but not sure when they will arrive. 

I really like the TP5 but have also really liked the Tour Response

Titleist GT3 11* Tensei 1k blue

Titleist TSR2 4w 16*

Titleist TSR2 5w 18.75*

MKII ZX 5's (4-6) w/ KBS Tour V

MKII ZX 7's (7-PW) w/ KBS Tour V

Vokey SM9 Wedges 50* 54* 58*

DF2.1 Putter

4 hours ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

Easily one of the biggest brands in golf. TaylorMade has a rich history of making incredible products and has been known for countless things for countless golfers. 

TaylorMade continuously pushes the boundaries of technology and brings flashy, bold new products with every release. 

They have brought immensely adjustable drivers, carbon faces, the spider putter design, PIX golf balls and so much more over their history. The bubble shaft! 

The MG3 wedge is my go to.  For me, the spin rates are great and the club is balanced very well. It feels great in the hands. Not to mention, it looks incredible. 

I recently switched to TM tour response stripe. It has good speed off the tee and GREAT spin from wedges and short irons. The trajectory from 130 yards (my average distance into the green on a par 4) is perfect. It has a steeper descent than other balls I’ve played which allows me to have more confidence in not going long. I can be aggressive playing this ball. Also, the stripe is something I thought I would hate but now I love it. It’s easy to find and looks incredible when sent end over end on the putting green. 

Hodgepodge club gamer with a +8 handicap. 

Easily one of the biggest names in golf, but also one of the biggest spenders. 

A couple others have noted their QC issues, particularly with Drivers, but I think their irons and wedges are superb. Not a big fan of the Spider line but I know it’s a popular model for many. Absolutely love their TPX line of balls - some of the best for the money. 

I’ve been impressed with the recent iron releases - looking forward to seeing what’s next from them (hello new P790?). 

Driver: image.png.ca83f4e6716da9276cf90826f633daca.png Paradym with Ventus TR Blue 60 Stiff

Fairways:  image.png.c4f821ba6925e5e146c31600685bf103.png Aerojet Max 3W & 7W with Hzrdus Smoke Blue RDX 70 Stiff

Hybrid:  image.png.c21137d282a252fb544e47aceb520176.png King TEC 5H with KBS PGI 95 Stiff

Irons:  image.png.6621a18e06b1717c1f774c4a561fd7d8.png Forged TEC 5-PW with KBS Tour Lite Stiff

Wedges:  images (1).pngHaywood Signature Raw Wedges (50 / 54 / 58)

Putter:   download.png.d49e715a77153bd649b58a0d4e33fab5.pngL.A.B. DF3 (aka "Chewie")

Ball: 2023 Maxfli Tour

Reviews: 

L.A.B. DF3

Cobra 50th Anniversary Member Testing

Callaway Paradym

Titleist White Box Testing (2023)

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5

In short order:

• Decent putters
  • Excellent wedges
  • Good Irons
  • Awful woods
  • Balls that perform, but scuff easily

My testing experience with Taylor Made drivers has left me hopelessly biased against them, but I will concede their fairways seem to be well liked and decent. 

WITB:

D: :titleist-small: GT-2 10° w/ Diamana BB 63 X

3W: :titleist-small: GT-3 15° Tensei Black 75 X

5W: :ping-small: G430 18° Tour 2.0/Stiff

4i-PW:  :PXG: 0317t Project X LZ 6.0

50°,54° & 58°: :vokey-small: SM-10

P:cameron-small: Super Select Newport 2+

Ball:  :titleist-small: ProV1x

Bag:  Ghost MGS Anyday 14 way

"And so, we beat on, boats against the current, borne ceaselessly into the past." - Fitzgerald

” The woods are lovely, dark and deep,   

But I have promises to keep,   

And miles to go before I sleep,   

And miles to go before I sleep. - Frost

"That you are here—that life exists and identity,

That the powerful play goes on, and you may contribute a verse." - Whitman

Feel like it is (irons/driver):

tier 1: Taylormade & Calloway (edit: Titleist probably belongs here with Ping fan boys)

tier 2: everyone else

tier 3: $500 complete sets with a bag

definitely agree Taylormade has had their quality issues, but with that comes one of the best customer service departments in the biz (needed). I had issues with my qi10 driver this year and they replaced it no questions asked.

i think it’s fair to ask why….but I think(hope) the answer is Taylormade is pushing the boundaries of what is possible with newer materials and manufacturing practices, and when you are chasing a 1% improvement every year I feel like they are trading off some quality issues, that they are willing to fix, for what they perceive as an edge they have in the market.

Edited by GforeNick

Driver: M6

irons: sim2 max

wedge: TM rsi sand wedge 55

putter: odyssey pro type 3

I have never played a TM club, but I have played their golf balls. Was playing the Aeroburner Pro for like 2 seasons, and then they discontinued it. What a really good ball, and me, a high capper to play this ball just made my game so much better. I tried the RBZ balls, but never really took to them. And, when I went to buy a new driver in 2020, the SIM 2 was a runner up to the Ping G410 SFT that I did purchase. The SIM was longer than the G410, but I could not get past the "bling" on top of the club head. So, I have never played a TM club...

Driver-Ping g410 SFT, 3W-Callaway Diablo Octane, Hybrids-Snake Eyes Viper 18*+ 21*, Irons-GigaGolf Reva Hybrid Irons 24*- 46*, Wedges-Cleveland CBX2's 50*54*58*, Putter-Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11c

I have never owned non-Taylormade driver. I have heard a bunch of complaints about the newer carbon face issues, but have been playing my og Stealth for a few years without any issues (guarantee my face separates this afternoon).  I love my p770’s which i have had for a few years now.   I was interested in the new 770’s but it appears that the numbers are marginal at best. 
 As far as balls go, i do feel the TP series is a step behind the Pro v and tend to play more Pro v than TP.  
 Im due for new wedges soon and plan to replace my Vokeys with MG’s. 
 My Scotty isnt going any where but the Spider has caught my interest. 

Phantom 5.5 

Stealth 9* w/ Ventus Black 7X

Stealth 2 Plus 3W w/ Hzrdus Green

TM Sim2 19* w/ Hzrdus RDX Black

P770 Irons w/ KBS 120 tour S

Vokey wedges (50*, 56*, 60*)