Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

TaylorMade RocketBladez Irons Review

GolfSpy WD

Rev: If you already hit a 4 hybrid well, then the 4 iron isn't going to give you anything special.

The reason I like the 4 iron, is that it looks like a hybrid to me. Aside from the black plastic cap, it looks the same to my eye as a G15/G20 hybrid. Both of which I liked and hit well and that spilled over to this club.

Plus MBP has KBS Tours in his and if there's one excellent thing KBS tours do for me, is remind me to not over swing with their unique feel. Not overswinging+confidence inpsiring shape = POW!

Considering my right wrist couldn't hinge due to a really badly jammed hybrid shot a couple holes earlier, I was damn impressed with the result. Same as the gap wedge MBP let me hit the whole before.

I've never been a fan of TM irons and I've tried a bunch. These however are fairly pleasing.

I laught at your claims to fight a zombie apocalypse when most of you can't stand up to a Spider

• Replies 412
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the feedback guys - I think I'm going to stick with the concept of 5 iron being my longest club in the bag -

I like carrying a 4 hybrid and using it as a chipping club for a variety of shots around the greens - obviously there are other choices if I don't have a 4 hybrid but all things being equal I'd rather not have to be working on that along with everything else - right now I have driver through 4 hybrid that I'm extremely comfortable with - 6-PW that I'm okay with - 5 hybrid that gives me something to hit that I won't get in too much trouble with at 175 and my SCOR wedges that are in process but in process in a very positive way - I was looking forward to getting out and hitting 100 or so shots inside of 100 yards today but it's the rarest of days here today - its a legitimate rainy day - I'm off the next four days so it will have to be tomorrow.

Oh and I have a putter that is staying in the bag and may get buried with me along with my Greek New Testament.

I love the comment that these irosn are fun to hit - I've always struggled with irons and better players who have made fun of me for playing GI clubs - Even my pro always tried to move me into some type of players club when I lived in Wisconsin - "You're good enough pastor why don't you do it." He couldn't give me a good reason why and all I could say was - I don't have tons of time to practice/play - why would I want to have irons that take me a week or two to get back up to speed when I've gone two or three weeks without playing. I want to take them out of the bag and hit them with some confidence that they'll go where I'm aiming. :)

I've made one swing with a hybrid that had a KBS tour shaft in it - RR's 3 hybrid - I have to say that is one sweet shaft - it launched that sucker so high and so straight - 215 or so according to my GPS which is really long for me. Great shaft - I'm still going graphite though.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Right there with you. I love my Pro Combo's, I really do. However my golfing schedule is just insane. I either golf once or twice a week for a month in a row and then not get to hit a club for three weeks. That layoff absolutely destroys my game with a more demanding club.

Now, a sucky swing is still going to product an awful result, but the degree of awfulness as it where is going to be different. I'm all about easy golf these days. Easier alignment aids, easier irons/hybrids, slightly softer loading shafts. I've had my fun with the tricky clubs but now it's about scoring for me and I want to be able to have a respectable score even on an off day. GI irons will help.

I laught at your claims to fight a zombie apocalypse when most of you can't stand up to a Spider

Right there with you. I love my Pro Combo's, I really do. However my golfing schedule is just insane. I either golf once or twice a week for a month in a row and then not get to hit a club for three weeks. That layoff absolutely destroys my game with a more demanding club.

Now, a sucky swing is still going to product an awful result, but the degree of awfulness as it where is going to be different. I'm all about easy golf these days. Easier alignment aids, easier irons/hybrids, slightly softer loading shafts. I've had my fun with the tricky clubs but now it's about scoring for me and I want to be able to have a respectable score even on an off day. GI irons will help.

Exactly

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Okay since my back up irons included my old Eye2 W as my gap wedge I picked up the AW to the Rocketbladez irons while out and about yesterday. I just "happened" to also have my SCOR 55 and my shag bag in the van along with a free hour. Oh and I was near a field where I could hit 100 yard shots with plenty of room to spare - Grass is still dormant so it was cut down and I could easily find my balls.

I see what you guys mean by point and shoot - the gap between the SCOR 55 and the AW was right on between 10 and 15 yards - I hit it 100 into the wind and 110 down wind so just the right distance also.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

Hi guys

I have been MIA for a while.

I just wanted to (again) mention what ridiculous results I am getting with the 4i off the tee.

I still haven't sorted out my driver, haven't had much time for practicing lately.

So I take 4i off the tee when I don't have a bailout area (and I need a big bailout area for the big stick).

Anyway I was playing with my brother in law (he breaks 80 every now and again), and a plus 2 who will be playing the Sunshine Tour Q-School this year (The Sunshine Tour is the local tour here in South Africa.)

They couldn't believe how well I was hitting it off the tee. Straight, and very, very high. And I got some really good distance.

One other thing that I noticed is that even when I take what feels like a 75% swing, I still get pretty much the same distance. Less effort, pretty much the same result. But the slightly shorter swing has less room for error, that is what it feels like anyway.

I will add that I don't have much confidence with it off the deck just yet. When I am that distance away from the hole, I am usually thinking two shots instead of just one in any case.

Anyway, the great shots I have been hitting with that 4i has convinced me to get the 5i and 6i as well. Should receive them in the next week or two.

I am bound to have a big gap in my set make-up for a bit, going from a Rocketbladez 6i to my MP-53 7i. So much so that I might seriously consider bagging both my MP 53 6i and my Rocketbladez 6i for a short period of time.

Once I have had some practice time with the 5i and 6i, I will make the call whether to get the 7-PW as well. If I get the same results from the 5i and 6i, it is a foregone conclusion.

In my Clicgear B3 cart bag on my Clicgear 3.0 pushcart:

Rocketballz 10.5* stock stiff shaft

Adams Idea A3 Boxer 19*

TMag Rocketbladez 4i-6i

Mizuno MP53 7i-PW

Mizuno MP-R12 52*, MP-T11 56*, MP-T10 60*

Some old Odyssey putter (Don't laugh, it gets the ball in the hole nicely)

Bridgestone E6

Walking on air with my True Tours and Kentwool socks

No-one will ever have golf under his thumb. No round ever will be so good it could not have been better. Perhaps this is why golf is the greatest of games. You are not playing a human adversary; you are playing a game. You are playing old man par.

Bobby Jones

You swing your best when you have the fewest things to think about.

Bobby Jones

This might sound like crazy-talk, but I have had such great success with the 4i off the tee, that I am actually considering getting the 3i for a tee option.

For me to like love hitting my 4i off the tee is already just a little ridiculous.

Me considering getting a 3i is something I wouldn't have imagined.

Adams Idea A3 Boxer 19*

TMag Rocketbladez 4i-6i

Mizuno MP53 7i-PW

Bridgestone E6

No-one will ever have golf under his thumb. No round ever will be so good it could not have been better. Perhaps this is why golf is the greatest of games. You are not playing a human adversary; you are playing a game. You are playing old man par.

Bobby Jones

Bobby Jones

This might sound like crazy-talk, but I have had such great success with the 4i off the tee, that I am actually considering getting the 3i for a tee option.

For me to like love hitting my 4i off the tee is already just a little ridiculous.

Me considering getting a 3i is something I wouldn't have imagined.

Hey Sparnar, good to see you posting again!

Glad to hear you are hitting that 4 iron well too.

If I can work it out I will be going Saturday to be fit for a new set of Rocketbladez irons and I can hardly wait!!!

Continued good luck to you with your game!

Today, I will do what others will not so that...

Tomorrow, I will do what others can not

Hey Sparnar, good to see you posting again!

Glad to hear you are hitting that 4 iron well too.

If I can work it out I will be going Saturday to be fit for a new set of Rocketbladez irons and I can hardly wait!!!

Continued good luck to you with your game!

Thanks, wannabegolfer!

Sure you can't wait for Saturday.

Adams Idea A3 Boxer 19*

TMag Rocketbladez 4i-6i

Mizuno MP53 7i-PW

Bridgestone E6

Bobby Jones

Bobby Jones

You guys are killing me. Now I'm shopping for new Rocketbladez :angry:

MENTOR, L4 COACH & TRAINER  FIRST TEE GREATER HOUSTON
HDCP: 8.3  (GHIN: 3143312)
In my bag, April 2023
:titelist-small: TS3 Driver & 4 Wood Hzrdous Smoke Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:titelist-small: TS2 Hybrids  Mitsubishi Tensei Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:mizuno-small:  MP-59 5-PW; KBS Tour (Regular Flex)
:titelist-small: SM8 Wedges

EVNROLL ER2  Putter
SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND BALL
Sun Mountain Cart Bag
:Clicgear: 4.0 Push Cart (I'm walking 9 outta 10 rounds!!)

You guys are killing me. Now I'm shopping for new Rocketbladez :angry:

I am just chomping at the bit to get them in my hands, after all the reviews I have seen on here I have some pretty high expectations!!

Go ahead BK, you know you want them!!

Today, I will do what others will not so that...

Tomorrow, I will do what others can not

Im looking at the tours.....must resist :lol: :lol:

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

Resistance is futile....you will be assimilated

Ok, I know....my geek is showing

34212852.jpg

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Just recalled two of my 4i tee shots that I want to share.

The first was at my home course. The tee box is elevated quite a bit from the fairway. I hit a nice and high, as usual, shot that split the fairway.

When I reached my ball, I noticed that there was a pitch mark where my ball had landed. It was a couple of inches in front of my ball. It had actually taken a tiny hop backwards when it pitched.

Another tee shot on another course, I hit a straight and high tee shot that again split the fairway. The fairways on this course were quite soft after a thunderstorm and plenty of rain the night before, and when I got to my ball it had plugged where it landed. About a third of the ball was submerged in the fairway. Enough that my second shot would have been ugly, had it not been for placing on the fw on the day.

So first question, anyone else experienced something similar? I will have to work on flighting those tee shots down just a little bit. Not getting any roll out.

Secondly and off topic, if my ball plugs in the fairway and there is no placing on the day, I assume I have to play it like that?

Adams Idea A3 Boxer 19*

TMag Rocketbladez 4i-6i

Mizuno MP53 7i-PW

Bridgestone E6

Bobby Jones

Bobby Jones

I received the 5i and 6i this week, and took them to the range. Really fun clubs to hit.

With my MP53s my struggles would start with my 6i. The 7i was the lowest club I had confidence in.

But judging from the sole range session with the 5i and 6i, that will be changing soon.

These clubs really are fun to hit. And the forgiveness is just ridiculous. I put some realy crappy swings on these (hadn't touched a club for almost a month), but the results were still great. I find the ball flight to be a bit lower, and a slight loss of distance on mishits. But these would be very, very playable mishits out on the course.

Will be taking these out on the course on Thursday, and will report back.

I do have a bit of a gap between my current 7i and the new 6i, will just have to try to avoid that gap in the shirt term.

Really lookng forward to taking them out.

Adams Idea A3 Boxer 19*

TMag Rocketbladez 4i-6i

Mizuno MP53 7i-PW

Bridgestone E6

Bobby Jones

Bobby Jones

Another thing I would like to add...

After I read the rave reviews about these irons, and the long irons more specifically, I chose to order the 4i. I got it in the stock stiff shaft. I haven't tried out any of the other shafts in this club, but the stock shaft is working great for me.

Now also have the 5i and 6i in stock stiff, and based on a single range session, it looks like these will work very nicely for me personally. Will report back after my round later this week.

Adams Idea A3 Boxer 19*

TMag Rocketbladez 4i-6i

Mizuno MP53 7i-PW

Bridgestone E6

Bobby Jones

Bobby Jones

That's a huge rule to know and take advantage of (not in a bad way.) It comes into play in Florida all the time beginning around Memorial day and going into mid-October.

You can see the change of weather patterns in the air here - hasn't started raining yet but the clouds are coming in every afternoon now and the wind starts from the East and shifts to the West just for practice.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

No, you do not, not in the fairway.

-----------------------

Rule 25-2:

"A ball embedded in it's own pitch-mark in the ground in any closely mown area through the green may be lifted, cleaned & dropped without penalty, as near as possible to where it lay but no nearer the hole. The ball when dropped must first strike a part of the course through the green.

'Closely-mown area' means any area on the course, including paths through the rough, cut to fairways height or less."

------------------------

Hopes that this helps Bro :)

Fairways & Greens 4ever

:mizuno-small:

That's a huge rule to know and take advantage of (not in a bad way.) It comes into play in Florida all the time beginning around Memorial day and going into mid-October.

You can see the change of weather patterns in the air here - hasn't started raining yet but the clouds are coming in every afternoon now and the wind starts from the East and shifts to the West just for practice.

Thank you, Richard and revkev. That helps alot!

Adams Idea A3 Boxer 19*

TMag Rocketbladez 4i-6i

Mizuno MP53 7i-PW

Bridgestone E6

Bobby Jones

Bobby Jones

So I was just re-reading this thread, and saw one stating that their 7i & 5i were standard (37" & 38") length. Is this true for all the test sets?

In my Clicgear B3

Callaway FTi 9* Aldila NVS S flex

Callaway X Hot Pro 3W

Callaway X Hot 3H

Callaway X Hot 4H

Callaway X Hot 5-AW 2* flat

Cleveland CG-10 56*

Callaway X Forged 60/9

Yes! Callie w/SuperStroke Slim 3.0

Thanks, that actually makes them more attractive. Even at factory lengths they're not that much longer than my Mizuno's at 1/2" over, but it would be better at 1/4" over and another degree upright. A few rounds to get into form...

In my Clicgear B3

Callaway FTi 9* Aldila NVS S flex

Callaway X Hot Pro 3W

Callaway X Hot 3H

Callaway X Hot 4H

Callaway X Hot 5-AW 2* flat

Cleveland CG-10 56*

Callaway X Forged 60/9

Yes! Callie w/SuperStroke Slim 3.0

The RocketBladez 4 iron might just be the greatest golf club ever made.

Just sayin....

For really?

I used to hit 4 iron on that hole too JBones - A long, long time ago. I used a wooden bat and driver then too. :)

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

• 4 weeks later...

I played 18 holes yesterday, and I still use the 4i off the tee. Hit 6 FIR's, which doesn't sound great by any stretch of the imagination. But this was on a day where my ballstriking wasn't what it could have been.

I missed a couple of fairways, but none of these were deep in the woods. And on my poor strikes, the ball still went 160yds easily, and pretty accurate for such a poor strike.

Didn't have too many shots with the 5i, I recall one that I bladed into a greenside bunker. This was from about 180yds out, and I still reached the greenside bunker. With my old 5i, this wouldn't have come nearly this close to the green. Did hit a very nice tee shot with the 5i on a short par 4.

Had a few shots with the 6i during the round. Hit some nice tee shots on two of the par 3s, one GIR, and one pumped right over the green. Also managed to hit a couple of big draws around obstacles as well.

Also had some punch shots with the 4i and 5i, and these worked really nice. Kept the ball quite low, and could get a little bit of left-to-right, and right-to-left movement on these low punch shots.

I am getting more used to these now, and the more I get out of the way of the club, and just let it do what it is made for, the better results. I guess this is the same for any club. But the results are spectacular when just taking a fairly relaxed swing with a full follow through.

The forgiveness really shined for me yesterday, and while it is hard to really say, I reckon the 4i, 5i and 6i were good for maybe around 3-4 shots saved. And that is conservatively guesstimated.

Where before I was hesitant, and not too confident, to really go for the green from 160yds out, I am now going for it from about 185yds out. Doesn't sound like much, but it makes a difference on alot of the par 4s I play.

I do have a large gap between my RocketBladez 6i and my MP53 7i though. I reckon it could be very close to 20m. This doesn't make life easy if I am in the 140-165 yard range, but it isn't as if my iron play is pin point at this stage anyway. So I need to plan around this yardage for now. I will say that while I really appreciate the forgiveness in the 4i-6i, I am still not 100% convinced that I should get the full set.

Adams Idea A3 Boxer 19*

TMag Rocketbladez 4i-6i

Mizuno MP53 7i-PW

Bridgestone E6

Bobby Jones

Bobby Jones

I'm curious as to what would convince you at this point.

You've noted the huge forgiveness increase. You've noted the fact you can go for the green from farther out and expect good results. What's missing?

Archived