Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

TaylorMade Announces New LETHAL Golf Ball

• SPY VIP

Along with some other stuff that might interest you, TaylorMade Golf has formally announced their new Lethal Golf Ball. The new Lethal is the direct replacement for the Penta 5 (which replaced the original Penta, which replaced...). The guys who have participated in our community testing program know the new ball as the Project 5. Quite frankly I'm surprised TaylorMade didn't keep that name, but "Lethal" will certain grab some attention while it's sitting on the shelf.

TM-LETHAL-BIG.PNG

The golf ball market is one of the toughest nuts to crack. Titleist has a virtual stranglehold on it, but nearly everybody is trying to break through. I can't say whether or not the Lethal is the ball that will finally do it. Eventually something will put a big enough crack in Titleist's dominance. When that happens the flood gates will open, and the ball market will be instantly competitive.

While we wait for that to happen, why don't you read the press release that I've shamelessly pasted below.

TaylorMade Golf Company Introduces LETHAL Golf Ball

New Premium 5-Layer Golf Ball Delivers Total Tee-to-Green Performance for ALL Players

CARLSBAD, CALIF. (January 3, 2012) – Having amassed global success with its PENTA franchise, TaylorMade Golf Company today announced its next generation of golf ball, set to be played by hundreds of professional golfers. Introducing LETHAL™, a premium, five-piece multi-layer golf ball aptly and memorably named for its remarkable tee-to-green performance.

“Our engineers set out to create a golf ball with all-around performance for all conditions,” said Dean Snell, vice president of golf ball R&D. “Today's clubs are designed to launch the ball higher, so our team worked to ensure that these higher launch conditions do not cause the shot to balloon or become more affected by the wind. We designed LETHAL to further maximize distance, extend the second stage of flight, and control spin and aerodynamics when playing into the wind.”

After creating Penta, the first 5-layer Tour ball, TaylorMade engineers worked tirelessly to refine the construction and improve a golf ball already known for its superior wind performance and spin control. Its advanced 322-dimple design helps set LETHAL apart from previous TaylorMade Tour balls. The new design offers improved performance in all wind conditions promoting longer and straighter shots with better control.

Optimal spin control for every shot (5 layers), incredible distance regardless of clubhead speed (progressive velocity), and the most penetrating flight of any TaylorMade ball (seamless LDP 322-dimple pattern) make LETHAL the ultimate Tour performance golf ball.

TaylorMade Tour Staff Professional Justin Rose realized these benefits earlier this year at the Deutsche Bank Championship, when he insisted on playing LETHAL under the prototype name “Project 5” after just one day of testing. Rose played the ball for three FedEx Cup Playoff events, finishing second at The TOUR Championship, helped the European team win the Ryder Cup, and most recently, won with the ball at the Turkish Airlines World Golf Final.

Similar to the PENTA ball that it replaces, LETHAL features five separate layers that provide a “layer for every shot,” optimizing spin and launch through the bag (see five layers below). It also employs “Progressive Velocity,” meaning the fastest layers of the ball are on the outside, which provides outstanding velocity regardless of swing speed. As a result, LETHAL can be played by Tour professionals and amateur golfers of all skill levels.

LETHAL will be available at retail on 2/1 at $45.99 per dozen.

Tech Talk:

Low Drag Performance Aerodynamics

Aerodynamics are one of the most important performance features of a golf balls Once the construction and spin rates are developed, the aerodynamics are designed to fit that specific ball. The correct aerodynamic pattern can significantly increase distance. TaylorMade's Low Drag Performance (LDP) dimple pattern is designed to minimize distance loss on low spin shots.

LDP Technology benefits both the player and fitting pro. It decreases overall drag, which helps maintain velocity throughout the entire ball flight. Towards the end of flight a higher ball velocity will maintain lift and provide longer distance.

5 Layers

TaylorMade doesn't believe that one should choose a golf ball for a particular shot or be fit. Lethal is optimized for all shots tee-to-green by using 5 layers:

Soft core – produces low driver spin that increases distance off the tee.

Inner mantle – reduces long-iron spin for a penetrating low trajectory that will not balloon and carries far.

Middle mantle – works with outer layers to combine controllable spin with softer feel off the mid irons.

Outer mantle – works with the cover to generate low-launch, high spin conditions off the short irons and wedges.

Thin, cast Sta-White Urethane cover – with excellent durability, reacts with the firm outer mantle layer to create shot-stopping spin needed to get up and down and lower scores.

Progressive Velocity

Progressive Velocity Technology provides outstanding velocity for any given swing speed. The fastest layers of the golf ball are near the outside of the ball. This allows even slower swingers to compress the outer layers to generate fast ball speed.

About the adidas Group

The adidas Group is one of the global leaders within the sporting goods industry, offering a broad range of products around the core brands: adidas, Reebok, TaylorMade, Rockport and Reebok-CCM Hockey. Headquartered in Herzogenaurach, Germany, the Group has more than 46,000 employees and generated sales of over €13 billion in 2011.

About TaylorMade-adidas Golf

Headquartered in Carlsbad, California, TaylorMade-adidas Golf Company sells golf clubs, balls, clothing and accessories under the TaylorMade, adidas Golf, Adams and Ashworth brands. TaylorMade-adidas Golf Company posted 2011 sales of over €1.0 billion.

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Subscribe to the MyGolfSpy Newsletter

Well, I haven't finished my write up over the holidays, but I can honestly say that I cannot wait for these to hit the shelves so I can lay may hands on a couple more boxes. I absolutely love the performance of these balls around the green. The only thing I give up using the Project 5 versus the Z-Star that was my former preferred ball is that I have to be more deliberate in my driver swing due to the Project 5/Lethal exhibiting more side spin than the Z-Stars.

Dru - Owner, President & Janitor, Druware Software Designs

RH 13.1 Handicap in soggy Georgia 

WITB
* 1W 10.5* @ PXG 0211 ( HZRDUS Smoke Black X-Stiff )
* 3W PXG 0211 ( HZRDUS Smoke Black X-Stiff ) 
* 5W 18* Tailor-made AeroBurner ( Stock Stiff )
* 7W  Sub70 949x ( HZRDUS Smoke Black X-Stiff )
* 5i-PW @ PXG 0211 ( Gen 1 )
* 52 @ Hogan Equalizer
* 56 @ Sub70 
* 60 @ Hogan Equalizer
* Carbon Ringo 1/4
* Vice Pro Plus

• SPY VIP

I was really hoping TM was going to continue pushing down the price of premium balls...oh well

As long as the ProV1 stays at $45 (give or take) other premium balls will too. There is a quality perception associated with price. If you drop too low people assume your product isn't as good as the higher priced one.

Callaway will tell you that in hindsight the may have priced the chrome too low (price made consumer think it was more nxt than proV1).

This is basically why TaylorMade runs buy 2 get 1 deals instead of discounting per unit prices. The ProV1 is such a known entity that it's next to impossible to compete on cost.

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Subscribe to the MyGolfSpy Newsletter

This is basically why TaylorMade runs buy 2 get 1 deals instead of discounting per unit prices.

And that in and of itself is brilliant. Buying higher priced balls at a lower price. Plus....there is an endless line of people who care more what they save than what they spend, too.

MENTOR, L4 COACH & TRAINER  FIRST TEE GREATER HOUSTON
HDCP: 8.3  (GHIN: 3143312)
In my bag, April 2023
:titelist-small: TS3 Driver & 4 Wood Hzrdous Smoke Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:titelist-small: TS2 Hybrids  Mitsubishi Tensei Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:mizuno-small:  MP-59 5-PW; KBS Tour (Regular Flex)
:titelist-small: SM8 Wedges

EVNROLL ER2  Putter
SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND BALL
Sun Mountain Cart Bag
:Clicgear: 4.0 Push Cart (I'm walking 9 outta 10 rounds!!)

I liked the name Project 5 but I will play these none the less.

MY BAG-

Driver- Taylormade SLDR 12* (Speeder 7.2vc tour spec S)

3 Wood- Taylormade R11(bimatrix prototype S)

3 Hybrid- Ping I20(stock S)

Irons-Taylormade Tour Perferred MC ( C Taper S)

Wedges- 50, 54, and 58 SCOR4161( KBS)

Putter-Taylormade Ghost Corza.

All Left Handed!

Is it just me or does the name Lethal sound more low end ball than high end premium? I agree that Project 5 would have been a classier name.

I'm with you on this, but TMAG will make it work. If it were another oem it would be a laughable failure.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

Ill try this one and hope its closer to the original Penta than the TP5. I'm still buying the original Pentas from LGB.

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

Ill try this one and hope its closer to the original Penta than the TP5. I'm still buying the original Pentas from LGB.

It is IMO a lot like the Penta

MY BAG-

Driver- Taylormade SLDR 12* (Speeder 7.2vc tour spec S)

3 Wood- Taylormade R11(bimatrix prototype S)

3 Hybrid- Ping I20(stock S)

Irons-Taylormade Tour Perferred MC ( C Taper S)

Wedges- 50, 54, and 58 SCOR4161( KBS)

Putter-Taylormade Ghost Corza.

All Left Handed!

• SPY VIP

The name and look scream Rocketballz, but sadly are selling in the next tier or pricing. Perhaps TM is just trying to sway those on the fence about spending the extra $$$. Maybe market research told them if you make em a little more blingy and flashy everyone will buy em.

Yo #JustPlayBetter

Follow @GolfSpyMBP

Archived