Testers Wanted! T Squared Putters ×

62-64 degree wedge

whiskey golf

I used a 64 degree I love it! When I'm short sided,its magic from 60 yard and in and bunkers that are light on sand. But you have to commit and trust the loft it's very easy to blade it if you don't .

MY BAG-

Driver- Taylormade SLDR 12* (Speeder 7.2vc tour spec S)

3 Wood- Taylormade R11(bimatrix prototype S)

3 Hybrid- Ping I20(stock S)

Irons-Taylormade Tour Perferred MC ( C Taper S)

Wedges- 50, 54, and 58 SCOR4161( KBS)

Putter-Taylormade Ghost Corza.

All Left Handed!

I tried one a few years ago for a summer. It just wasn't a good fit for me though. I found myself more accurate hitting 1/2 and 3/4 swing shots with a 56 and 60 combo than I was with a 64.

I could see if you have really deep bunkers or get short sided a lot, but for the courses I play I couldn't justify it taking up a slot in my bag.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

I use a 64 but like the 3 wood it can cost you more strokes than it saves. Both are vey effective weapons. Both require skill and commitment and practice. And both require judgment on when they are employed.

I dropped my 60 in favor of a 64. But I also have used neither. I use the 64 a lot now but I do not use the flop that often. I hit down on it just like the 56 or 47*PW. Mostly I like it to hit and stop but I even use it to let it run out a bit and occasionally will hit it where it will back up. But it is not for the faint of heart and you have to realize there is plenty of time to see the ball land. Look up to soon and you have the same shot again from the other side of the green.

:ping-small: G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430MAX 15°  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:mizuno-small: ST190 18° on Graphite Design AD DJ 7S 

:ping-small: G425 22°  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:ping-small: i525 5-U on :kbs: TGI 90S 

:titleist-small: SM8 54 & 60 on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

I use the 64 a lot now but I do not use the flop that often. I hit down on it just like the 56 or 47*PW. Mostly I like it to hit and stop but I even use it to let it run out a bit and occasionally will hit it where it will back up. But it is not for the faint of heart and you have to realize there is plenty of time to see the ball land. Look up to soon and you have the same shot again from the other side of the green.

I love my 64. it gets the most use of any wedge in the bag for me. The beauty of the wedge is you can hit high pitches with a standard middle of the stance, hit down on it swing. I love it inside 50 yards. I never hit it full. I almost never hit it out of bunkers unless it's a really short shot.

I love it. Favorite club behind my putter.

It's all about the short game, unless you can't keep it in play!

What's in my Bag:
Driver: Adams Speedline Super LS 10.5 with Excalibur T7+ tour stiff shaft
3 Wood: Adams Speedline Super LS 13 degree with Excalibur TFW Tour stiff shaft
Hybrid: Nickent 6DT 19 degree Aldilla Voodoo NV Stiff shaft
Irons: 4-9 KZG Tour Evolution with Nippon N.S. Pro Modus 3 tour 120 x flex shafts
Wedges:49 degree Dave Pelz wedge with a Nippon N.S. Pro Modus tour 120 x flex shaft. 54,64 Dave Pelz wedges with Rifle spinner shafts 59 Degree Scor wedge with rifle spinner shaft.
Putter: Bentinardi Ben Hogan Big Ben Center shafted 33 inches with best grips custom pistol putter grip.

Ball: Titleist Pro V1X, Callaway Hex Chrome +

Interesting conversation -- had a 60* in my bag a few years back and dumped it -- couldn't hit the damn thing to save my life. A 58* seemed to work better for me. Then last year borrowed a set while on the road and it had a 64*. Didn't use it for full shots - just around the green - and had success with it. Now, being a world class club ho - it would seem that I should rush right out and buy one...

Haven't yet, but it's just a matter of time...

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

So what club would get pulled out to make room for it?

For me the 14 I have in play are more valuable than a 64Ëš would be.

MENTOR, L4 COACH & TRAINER  FIRST TEE GREATER HOUSTON
HDCP: 8.3  (GHIN: 3143312)
In my bag, April 2023
:titelist-small: TS3 Driver & 4 Wood Hzrdous Smoke Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:titelist-small: TS2 Hybrids  Mitsubishi Tensei Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:mizuno-small:  MP-59 5-PW; KBS Tour (Regular Flex)
:titelist-small: SM8 Wedges

EVNROLL ER2  Putter
SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND BALL
Sun Mountain Cart Bag
:Clicgear: 4.0 Push Cart (I'm walking 9 outta 10 rounds!!)

THIS! I hate when you say stuff like this cuz then it renders me, my comments & observations impotent & useless, HaHa.

But he's spot on! If ya can't or don't hit a 3FM, forget about the 64* LW.

Just open your 60*

Great comment BTW :-)

Fairways & Greens 4ever

I agree. I've hit some great shots to get to the green in two on some par 5s with a 3w. But I've mis hit and lost more than I've gained. However, I wouldn't connect how you do with a 3w to whether you can benefit from a 64. My wedge play is typically the strongest part of my game cuz I practice it the most having the room to do so in my back yard. While I can use a 64 just fine, I don't see the need to carry one. Having a 60 without too much bounce and a sole grind that lets you lay it open without raising the leading edge too much will let you accomplish the same thing. The key for me is to lower my hands if I open it up so the face angle still squares up with my alignment even though it's laid wide open. Then I don't have to aim left and cut across the ball. The sole grind is critical to let that happen, especially on tight lies though. I think I get more use out of a 60. It just covers a wider range of shots than a 64. But if you really like a 64, use it. No right or wrong there.

it is part of my 14.my wedges are 52 58 64.

MY BAG-

Driver- Taylormade SLDR 12* (Speeder 7.2vc tour spec S)

3 Wood- Taylormade R11(bimatrix prototype S)

3 Hybrid- Ping I20(stock S)

Irons-Taylormade Tour Perferred MC ( C Taper S)

Wedges- 50, 54, and 58 SCOR4161( KBS)

Putter-Taylormade Ghost Corza.

All Left Handed!

pull a hybrid or long iron and bend for the gaps. I use 5 and 4 degree gaps instead of 4 and 3.

wedges: 64,59,54,49

9:44

8:39

7:34

6:29

5:25

4:21

hybrid:17

3 wood:13.5

driver:9

It's all about the short game, unless you can't keep it in play!

What's in my Bag:
Driver: Adams Speedline Super LS 10.5 with Excalibur T7+ tour stiff shaft
3 Wood: Adams Speedline Super LS 13 degree with Excalibur TFW Tour stiff shaft
Hybrid: Nickent 6DT 19 degree Aldilla Voodoo NV Stiff shaft
Irons: 4-9 KZG Tour Evolution with Nippon N.S. Pro Modus 3 tour 120 x flex shafts
Wedges:49 degree Dave Pelz wedge with a Nippon N.S. Pro Modus tour 120 x flex shaft. 54,64 Dave Pelz wedges with Rifle spinner shafts 59 Degree Scor wedge with rifle spinner shaft.
Putter: Bentinardi Ben Hogan Big Ben Center shafted 33 inches with best grips custom pistol putter grip.

Ball: Titleist Pro V1X, Callaway Hex Chrome +

My only point was overall consistency of swing. There actually is no direct correlation between a 3 FM & a 64* LW, other than if you cannot consistently hit a 3 FM you'll most likely not be able to consistently hit a 64* LW.

It has to do with being closer(it's relative, lol) to "owning" your swing & making it adaptable to clubs at both ends of the spectrum, where mid-high cappers have the most trouble with consistency. If ya wanna see if someone has a swing, hand em a 3 FM, 3 or 4i & forget a 64* LW, give em a 60* LW.

Actually, I got that correlation from Bob Ford, the Head Pro @ Oakmont, who I consider to be a hell of a teacher, though that by no means makes his words gospel :)

He explained it much like this, it made sense, so I ran with it. It definitely would be a good rule of thumb for high cappers, just as they probably shouldn't have a hybrid under 18*. Not that there aren't exceptions, however most struggle.

If it doesn't apply to you, forget it.

Just a thought :)

Have a good one Bro

Fairways & Greens 4ever

:mizuno-small:

Actually, that is a good point. You probably are right generally speaking come to think of it. I was thinking about myself there. But I do have an inordinate amount of short game practice compared to the rest of my game normally. Although how I've played the last few times, having not been out like normal, shows I've slipped quite a bit in my short game as well! :( I'm sure I'll get my touch back. I am usually so good at picturing the shot I want for spin, height and landing spot and just putting it there. Kind of a bummer to start missing those. My driving is much better though. Go figure.

Have a good one Rich. Hope you're feeling well.

But he's spot on! If ya can't or don't hit a 3FM, forget about the 64* LW.

Thanks Richard, but that was not exactly what I meant. The 3FM and the 64* (or 60* for that matter) are easy clubs to ruin an otherwise good hole. The two skill sets are vastly different but I have seen high cappers screw up more holes with these two clubs than any others. However, both can be great weapons.

What I have listed below is not quite what I am gaming right now. Since my MP33 pitching wedge is 48* I do not find enough difference to carry the 51* wedge. I hardly ever use it, so lately I have added a bit longer shaft to my hybrid and added another club between the hybrid and the 4 iron. Sometimes this is a hybrid and sometimes a 2 iron.

This gives me a 48* PW, 56* SW and 64* LW. I have not missed the other wedges at all, however, I can control my distances really well. Also, I pitch some distances with an 8 and 9 iron. Because I play blades vs GI irons I have no real problem but when I played GI irons I found I needed more wedges.

Absolutely they can be great weapons, you just have to have a solid, consistent swing to utilize them consistently. I did mean that most double digit cappers, especially north of 14-15 hdcp, would be better off with a 4FM and a 56-58* wedge.

I mean I see guys with a 64* LW with 8-12* bounce tryin to hit flop shots, and besides skullin, bladin & generally butchering a nice ball, they cost themselves strokes and agravation. And it's not just a matter of having the right bounce(less than 5* generally).

Bob really thinks that it would be easier to open an 56-58* wedge and take a normal swing. I'm not talkin bout single digits, though I know quite a few that can't hit a consistent 3FM offa the deck, 3i or 64* LW.

Fairways & Greens 4ever

:mizuno-small:

Depending on the lie and how much bounce I want, I'll use my 56 or 60 for a flop. I did a nice one today that gave me a little tap in with my 56. The 60 I have now has more bounce than I want really. Been thinking of getting another one with less bounce just for that reason and bunkers that are more like hard pan than sand. Rick has a good setup with his gapping from the sound of it. My pw is 47°. I could weaken it 1 and do the same thing! Not a bad idea at all to make room for another club like a 3w fit for me! :D

Archived