Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Greed (blowing up a course for the season)

revkev

I've hardly had any chance to play over the past two months and so wanted to get to the course last Sunday afternoon to be on it before returning to league play this afternoon.

We've had a ridiculous amount of rain starting with tropical storm Andrea and continuing throughout the month of June. We've also had several tornadoes (not to be confused with midwestern tornadoes - these will blow around yard furniture, some tree limbs but you're safe if you stay away from the windows.)

So I went to the course and played - It was ridiculously wet - so wet that carts should not have been allowed off the path but they were, so wet that there were many fairways and traps where there was no even semi dry place to drop. As I looked at the amount of mud and tire tracks in the fairway I believe that it's safe to say that this course will not recover until well into the fall.

Ironically the greens are in great shape and were only soft, not like sponges but that's a tribute to design - these greens hold water, very, very well.

It's just sad and this is a vent beyond a doubt - the course is closed today and I can't help but think that some of that closher is due to allowing play on Sunday afternoon.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Unless there are deep ruts it did no real damage to the course. Typically, all that really happens is that a thin coat of mud gets on top of the grass, leaving these ugly tracks. However, it is just dirty grass. Unless it damaged the root system, deep ruts, it will get cleaned off next time they water or mow. Still, it is best to avoid wet areas but sometimes it is not possible.

:ping-small: G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small: G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:ping-small: G425 4H on :kbs: TGH 80S 

:ping-small: i525 5-U on :kbs: TGI 90S 

:titleist-small: SM8 54 & 60 on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Unless there are deep ruts it did no real damage to the course. Typically, all that really happens is that a thin coat of mud gets on top of the grass, leaving these ugly tracks. However, it is just dirty grass. Unless it damaged the root system, deep ruts, it will get cleaned off next time they water or mow. Still, it is best to avoid wet areas but sometimes it is not possible.

It's not possible unless you are planning to take a drop in North Georgia. :angry:

I understand the desire to be open but this is Florida, we are open for golf all year - I suppose I have to buy into the fact that the course will heal itself but I still wonder, I really do.

Actually the course was closed one day since I first vented here - of course that was the one day it didn't rain and of course that was also my league day - by then there was at least one fairway under water. There is no driving range open in our county at this point - the funny thing is that this has forced me to repeat last summer's pattern - I couldn't resume hitting full shots for about 3 weeks after the pneumonia so all I did was chip and putt - now I can't hit full shots because the range isn't open so all I'm doing is chipping and putting - I'm starting to develope that great touch that translates into solid scores regardless of how my long game is going.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

It's not possible unless you are planning to take a drop in North Georgia. :angry:

I understand the desire to be open but this is Florida, we are open for golf all year - I suppose I have to buy into the fact that the course will heal itself but I still wonder, I really do.

Actually the course was closed one day since I first vented here - of course that was the one day it didn't rain and of course that was also my league day - by then there was at least one fairway under water. There is no driving range open in our county at this point - the funny thing is that this has forced me to repeat last summer's pattern - I couldn't resume hitting full shots for about 3 weeks after the pneumonia so all I did was chip and putt - now I can't hit full shots because the range isn't open so all I'm doing is chipping and putting - I'm starting to develope that great touch that translates into solid scores regardless of how my long game is going.

We have not gotten as much rain here in coastal SC as you guys in Florida but they did say the other day on a local radio station that this was the wettest June that this area has ever had since they have been keeping weather records. Most of our better courses in the Grand Strand area drain good but some of them are built on swamps and low lying land so naturally they don't drain well. I played at Pawley's Plantation today and it was dried out good with no cart restrictions other than the usual par 3 ones

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

Like yours our courses generally drain well. I don't think it matters much where though, keep throwing an inch and a half to two inches down every day and eventually it gets saturated.

We are over saturated - another round of strong showers yesterday, no ranges open today, courses open but very wet - I have a wedding an an hour and am hopeful we can avoid rain while guests are arriving and leaving.

We'll see.

I'm supposed to play tomorrow late afternoon - I'd love to see the range open for warming up but am not counting on it.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

Archived