Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Playing as a single

revkev

First time posting. Had to respond to this. I am a "newbie" to golf, approximately 2 years. I book tee times as a single about 80% of the time. Like others, I enjoy the solitude and relaxation of playing by myself. I keep an accurate score, putt out every hole, take penalties etc. I do this because I keep my own stats. If I'm not honest with my scoring, I can't see what I need to work on and improve.

Half the time I may join up with another single or a double. Allways difficult because you don't know what your going to get ie someone who drinks a lot, gives advise on EVERY shot etc. gets angry and throws clubs.

One day the starter asked me to join up with an older gentleman when I was checking in. He was 72 years old, in a walking cast, half blind (he needed a partner to watch where his ball went) and had a handicap flag on his cart. I agreed but had reservations. Turned out to be one of the greatest rounds I've played with someone. Not because of my score but because of all the help he provided me. He was extremely patient with me, did not push advice and was all around a great individual. I felt like I had a personal coach the entire round. Turns out he is a former PGA instructor. He enjoyed the round so much he asked me to play again. All in all a great round even though he is a Packers fan and I'm a Vikings fan.

Lots of clubs but none that actually work well.

Not to let you think I hate newbies, I love 'em if they don't do drunken stupid things.

I was playing today and a newbie single in a cart playing the exec course somehow ended up lost on 14 with me. But this newbie single had a brand new set of SLDR irons, exactly my loft, flex and lie. So he got to try my Speedblades while I tried his SLDR's. Those SLDR 's are sweet. Much more of a players iron in looks and offset. I hit the 6 & 9 superbly and just as long as my Speedblades. But the 3 & 4 irons are 1/2 and 1/4 inch shorter than the Speedblades and I can't imagine they would be as long.

bag - SunMountain Synch with Ogio Synergy X4 cart
driver - :callaway-small: Optiforce 440, Paderson Kevlar Green stiff 46.5"
fwoods - :taylormade-small: Jetspeed, 3HL regular
irons - :taylormade-small:  Speedblades 3-8, 85g stiff steel, 2 up
wedges - :edilon-small: Scor 40, 45, 50, 54, 58
putter - :ping-small: Ketsch 35" slight arc, SuperStroke 2.0 mid-slim
ball - :titelist-small: ProV1x

First time posting. Had to respond to this. I am a "newbie" to golf, approximately 2 years. I book tee times as a single about 80% of the time. Like others, I enjoy the solitude and relaxation of playing by myself. I keep an accurate score, putt out every hole, take penalties etc. I do this because I keep my own stats. If I'm not honest with my scoring, I can't see what I need to work on and improve.

Half the time I may join up with another single or a double. Allways difficult because you don't know what your going to get ie someone who drinks a lot, gives advise on EVERY shot etc. gets angry and throws clubs.

One day the starter asked me to join up with an older gentleman when I was checking in. He was 72 years old, in a walking cast, half blind (he needed a partner to watch where his ball went) and had a handicap flag on his cart. I agreed but had reservations. Turned out to be one of the greatest rounds I've played with someone. Not because of my score but because of all the help he provided me. He was extremely patient with me, did not push advice and was all around a great individual. I felt like I had a personal coach the entire round. Turns out he is a former PGA instructor. He enjoyed the round so much he asked me to play again. All in all a great round even though he is a Packers fan and I'm a Vikings fan.

First of all, welcome to the forum. Nice story, one I have had many times.

I agree that as a single, you can get paired up with someone that will make for a very long day. However, most people are pretty decent and you have to consider that many new to the game may not know all of the proper etiquette rules. I will mention them if they are interested but never give swing advice.

I've met many nice people in a lot of states playing golf over the years. Sounds like you would be one of them. Too bad we are about as far away as we could possibly get on this continent!

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I've only had two horrible rounds... well three... otherwise I've had plenty of god awful rounds but still enjoyed playing

2/3 were with my dad. Both involved a player not being able to actually to preform golf on a course:

Let me explain:  one round my dad couldn't hit a ball more than 50 yards, and it was both frustrating and humiliating to watch him have to keep shooting. Sure he picked up for an 8 on several holes to speed things up in the middle of the fairway, but still there's no enjoyment watching a human struggle that bad. Next round he shoots mid to upper 90's. Another round we were paired with someone like that, and it was brutal. You almost felt bad for the person, but were angry at them too for sucking... it was a weird feeling.

The last one is a round with one of my best friends, we got paired with someone who walked off the green after putting out and folded his arms waiting. He once putted out from 20 feet while my buddy and I were off the green. Guy was just a jerk.

Reason I bring this up is as a single I know who I'm playing with: a complete ass, who curses under his breath and tosses clubs in the direction of his bag. When I get paired up more than enough times I'm paired with someone whose ok. But other times, it's a struggle to enjoy myself with other people.

Driver:   :callaway-small:  Epic Flash 12 Degree

Wood: :callaway-small:  GBB 3 Wood
Hybrid: :callaway-small: Razr 4 hybriid stiff stock shaft.
Irons: :callaway-small: X2 Hot 4 iron (pro version) 5 iron - Gap Wedge (non pro version).  KBS 120g Shaft stiff cut 1/2  inch bent 1°upright
Wedges: :vokey-small: 52° 56° and 60°.
All grips are Golf pride grips midsized
Putter (lefty):  Odyssey Metal-X #8 34", stock shaft bent 2° Superstroke grip
Golf Balls:   :titelist-small: 2018-9 Pro-V1x and Prov1s
Shoes:  :footjoy-small:  Dryjoy tours

I've only had two horrible rounds... well three... otherwise I've had plenty of god awful rounds but still enjoyed playing

2/3 were with my dad. Both involved a player not being able to actually to preform golf on a course:

Let me explain:  one round my dad couldn't hit a ball more than 50 yards, and it was both frustrating and humiliating to watch him have to keep shooting. Sure he picked up for an 8 on several holes to speed things up in the middle of the fairway, but still there's no enjoyment watching a human struggle that bad. Next round he shoots mid to upper 90's. Another round we were paired with someone like that, and it was brutal. You almost felt bad for the person, but were angry at them too for sucking... it was a weird feeling.

The last one is a round with one of my best friends, we got paired with someone who walked off the green after putting out and folded his arms waiting. He once putted out from 20 feet while my buddy and I were off the green. Guy was just a jerk.

Reason I bring this up is as a single I know who I'm playing with: a complete ass, who curses under his breath and tosses clubs in the direction of his bag. When I get paired up more than enough times I'm paired with someone whose ok. But other times, it's a struggle to enjoy myself with other people.

When I was starting out in golf, I was 9 years old, and I was playing at the local public course.  Me and my dad get paired with these two young guys.  After one of them hits on the first tee, he starts swearing loudly for about 15 seconds, and then says, "sorry, excuse my language" then no joke, he starts swearing loudly for another 15 seconds all in front of a nine year old and his dad.

Driver:  Taylormade 2017 M2 9.5 degree head played at 8 degrees.  Fujikura speeder evolution tour spec x flex shaft tipped 1/4 inch.  

3-Wood: 15 degree M2 tour.  Fujikura pro 73 tour spec X flex shaft.  

Mizuno H5 2 iron.

4 iron: mizuno mp h4 4 iron dynamic gold s300

5-pw iron: mizuno mp 54 dynamic gold s300

52, 56, 60 wedges: cleveland 588 rotex cavity

putter: 34 inch nike method 00 half circle mallet putter

When I was starting out in golf, I was 9 years old, and I was playing at the local public course.  Me and my dad get paired with these two young guys.  After one of them hits on the first tee, he starts swearing loudly for about 15 seconds, and then says, "sorry, excuse my language" then no joke, he starts swearing loudly for another 15 seconds all in front of a nine year old and his dad.

Got one that may make you smile... I was out playing with my dad and was told by the ranger to skip 13-16 because it was getting too dark and the course was a good walk from the clubhouse. Plus, if it gets too dark, there's only one bridge to take you back and it's not lit. Anyway, we get on 17 and a guy and his kid pulls up wearing easily 100 dollar shirts from the boarding school the kid went to. The dad's got thousand dollar clubs, immaculate cart bag, and a fancy bluetooth. Oh and there riding.

To set the scene my dad and I walked the course, he's got a crappy bag that we bought for 20 bucks at a Value City like store, he's in kohl's shirts that were on sale... and persimmons in the bag. 

The father hit his ball OB, grumbles to the kid, and the whole entire time the kid had a look like I'm so embarrassed of my dad. My dad gets up and hits a nice persimmon driver out about 210 yards in the center of the fairway. Needles to say, I looked at the kid smiled and was proud that my dad didn't care about how rich we looked but rather how much fun we had together.

That's probably one of my favorite rounds and also one of the many I had the fortune to play with my dad, instead of as a single.

Driver:   :callaway-small:  Epic Flash 12 Degree

Wood: :callaway-small:  GBB 3 Wood
Hybrid: :callaway-small: Razr 4 hybriid stiff stock shaft.
Irons: :callaway-small: X2 Hot 4 iron (pro version) 5 iron - Gap Wedge (non pro version).  KBS 120g Shaft stiff cut 1/2  inch bent 1°upright
Wedges: :vokey-small: 52° 56° and 60°.
All grips are Golf pride grips midsized
Putter (lefty):  Odyssey Metal-X #8 34", stock shaft bent 2° Superstroke grip
Golf Balls:   :titelist-small: 2018-9 Pro-V1x and Prov1s
Shoes:  :footjoy-small:  Dryjoy tours

So we need to play sometime soon. I'm over in Pinellas County but come to Tampa to play. We are playing Temple Terrace Sunday afternoon. Had I seen this sooner we would have invited you.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Got one that may make you smile... I was out playing with my dad and was told by the ranger to skip 13-16 because it was getting too dark and the course was a good walk from the clubhouse. Plus, if it gets too dark, there's only one bridge to take you back and it's not lit. Anyway, we get on 17 and a guy and his kid pulls up wearing easily 100 dollar shirts from the boarding school the kid went to. The dad's got thousand dollar clubs, immaculate cart bag, and a fancy bluetooth. Oh and there riding.

To set the scene my dad and I walked the course, he's got a crappy bag that we bought for 20 bucks at a Value City like store, he's in kohl's shirts that were on sale... and persimmons in the bag. 

The father hit his ball OB, grumbles to the kid, and the whole entire time the kid had a look like I'm so embarrassed of my dad. My dad gets up and hits a nice persimmon driver out about 210 yards in the center of the fairway. Needles to say, I looked at the kid smiled and was proud that my dad didn't care about how rich we looked but rather how much fun we had together.

That's probably one of my favorite rounds and also one of the many I had the fortune to play with my dad, instead of as a single.

Nice story, I hate when people have all the gear and are all cocky, but then stink.

Driver:  Taylormade 2017 M2 9.5 degree head played at 8 degrees.  Fujikura speeder evolution tour spec x flex shaft tipped 1/4 inch.  

3-Wood: 15 degree M2 tour.  Fujikura pro 73 tour spec X flex shaft.  

Mizuno H5 2 iron.

4 iron: mizuno mp h4 4 iron dynamic gold s300

5-pw iron: mizuno mp 54 dynamic gold s300

52, 56, 60 wedges: cleveland 588 rotex cavity

putter: 34 inch nike method 00 half circle mallet putter

Archived