Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Putter / Iron Fitting

Went down to Frederick, MD today to see club builder/fitter Mike Bednarcik. Here's a link to his website - http://www.customclubsoffrederick.com/. Very professional, knowledgeable, and fun to work with. We started with an iron fitting. Mike uses a FlightScope launch monitor. This was my first time ever taking swings in front of a launch monitor and seeing my own numbers (I live in the middle of nowhere). Started off warming up and knocking the winter rust off. He had me hit my S55 6 iron to start with. Results were so-so. Club speed 85, average carry 165, shot dispersion was mediocre at best. After the warm up, he gave me a shaft with the MP-54 forged head and the Mizuno Shaft Optimizer. Took a bunch of swings with it and he entered the numbers into a database after each swing to narrow down shaft choices. Ended up getting narrowed down to the KBS C-Taper S Flex, Nippon N.S. Pro 1150 S Flex, and the True Temper XP 105 S300. The True Temper I didn't like the feel of at all, but the dispersion was better than with my current 6 iron. The KBS came in second for me with better dispersion and felt pretty smooth. The best results came with the N.S. Pro 1150. Club speed 89, average carry 175, and unbelievably good shot dispersion. 3 shots landing on the target line and 5 others within 5 yards on either side of it. It felt like butter. I was amazed. I always knew that getting fit for a shaft was important but I never really knew how important it was and how much of a difference it could make until today. I also hit the JPX 850 forged head which was nice but I just preferred the look and feel of the MP-54. He didn't have any other LH heads which was about the only downside of the fitting but it's something that I've learned to live with being a lefty. Not a huge deal as I've always been a big fan of Mizuno anyway. Besides Mizuno, he carries Wishon, Miura, Tour Edge Exotics, and Adams. After getting the shaft and head worked out, we did the lie angle test and went 2* upright.

After the irons we did a putter fitting using my Ketsch. After the fitting, he recommended cutting it down to 33" to get my eyes closer to the ball. I did that today when I got home and put on my new Ace of Clubs black snake putter grip. When I go back next month we're going to mess around with some counter weighting options and make sure the lie angle is where it needs to be. Also going back for a driver/wood/hybrid fitting to get some numbers from current equipment and hit some of the Tour Edge Exotics and the new JPX 850 line which I'm looking forward to.

In the meantime I have to decide whether or not to pull back the deposit I made on the Ben Hogan FW15 irons and put that towards the MP-54s with N.S. Pro 1150s.  Right now I'm leaning towards the MP-54s since there's no realistic way for me to get fit for the Hogan irons and it's really hard to argue with the results I got from that setup today. 

As always, any thoughts or recommendations that you guys have are more than welcome.

Driver -  :taylormade-small: M1 9.5* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Fairway -   :taylormade-small: M1 5W 19* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Hybrids -   :ping-small: G25 4H 23*

Irons -  :mizuno-small: JPX 850 Forged 4-PW w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Wedges - :mizuno-small: S5 50*07, 54*12, 58*12 w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Putter - Oddyssey Metal-X #7 w/ SuperStroke Pistol GT 2.0

You made a good decision and it appears that Mike has the chops. I do have one question? Did you go in asking for Mizuno or did you try a bunch of heads/brands and shaft combos?

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

I vote for the mizunos. But I'm partial to their irons, as my last three sets have been mizunos. They are butter when you strike them pure.

But beyond that, I think the set you get fit to is going to be a better choice than one not fit. Especially with the results you saw with them in the fitting.

TIBA Putt - Discover your best stroke.

You won't be able to get custom fit for the Hogans until April at the earliest -- so it depends on your timeframe, and where the closest Hogan fitter will be to you.  

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

I went in with no preferences on heads or shafts. The only LH heads he had were the Mizuno JPX 850 cast, JPX 850 forged, MP-54 forged, and MP-4 forged. No LH heads in the Wishons, Tour Edge, or Miura irons. For the driver fitting he's going to get some LH heads for driver/fairway/hybrid from his Mizuno and Tour Edge reps. I was able to try out all the Mizuno heads with my shaft options. I didn't bother hitting the blades. He doesn't carry anything else outside of those brands. No Titleist, Ping, Taylormade, Callaway, Cobra etc. Not the biggest selection of options for me especially being left-handed but that's what I'm used to but I was impressed with process. Short of buying a plane ticket to fly somewhere that has a massive selection of LH clubheads my options are limited. We spent about 2 hours on the irons and 1 hour on the putter and it was $75 which I thought was pretty reasonable for 3 hours. He did mention that if I do decide to order the MP-54s he gets them as components and builds them and checks the lofts/lies on each iron and adjusts them if necessary.

You won't be able to get custom fit for the Hogans until April at the earliest -- so it depends on your timeframe, and where the closest Hogan fitter will be to you.  

I wouldn't at all mind waiting to get fit for the Hogans. I've been really excited for them. My main concern is where the closest fitter will be and when we'll actually find out where the fitters will be.

I wouldn't at all mind waiting to get fit for the Hogans. I've been really excited for them. My main concern is where the closest fitter will be and when we'll actually find out where the fitters will be.

It's my understanding, the first fitters to get the Hogans will be those already affiliated with the company fitting SCOR wedges.

Personally, if you're comfortable with the fitter and the gear he carries, I'd go with the Mizunos.  I'm impressed with the Hogans, but if you want to establish a long term relationship with a fitter you trust, I think you'll be happier in the long run.

What's In the Bag

Driver - :callaway-small: GBB 

Hybrids  :cleveland-small: Halo XL Halo 18* & :cobra-small: T-Rail 20*

Irons  :cobra-small: T-Rail 2.0

Wedges :ping-small: 60* TS / SCOR 48* 53* 58*

Putter     :scotty-small:

Ball :callaway-logo-1:

Bag Datrek DG Lite  

....., but if you want to establish a long term relationship with a fitter you trust, I think you'll be happier in the long run.

I agree. I think Mike is certainly well qualified. And, you'll be going back there for other clubs etc. 

I didn't mention earlier but I was fitted in August '14 for my irons and wedges. I made an appointment last week for a new driver and new fairway club fitting for March 13th. I'm sold on my fitter.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

All good points guys, many thanks. I think I'm going to go with his recommendation over the Hogans. I do like the idea of using him as a fitter for the long term. He doesn't have the largest selection but I've always been of the opinion that I could care less what name the clubs have on them as long as they perform well and I like the looks and feel.

Unless I can talk him into becoming a fitter for the Hogans...lol

Unless I can talk him into becoming a fitter for the Hogans...lol

I would certainly discuss that with him!!  I already had SCOR wedges when our local GolfETC got an experienced fitter, but I gave him their contact information and he became a SCOR fitter/reseller.  If Hogan doesn't already have a fitter in your area, it might be a Win-Win for all concerned.

I can relate to your difficulty in finding a experienced local fitter you trust.  Until last year, the only fitting option within a 4 hour drive was " OEM cart-fitting / custom order" at a "Big-Box."  Unfortunately, my fitter is having some health issues so...  If it were up to me, I'd do anything possible to support an experienced local fitter.  They can be hard to find, and even more difficult to replace.

What's In the Bag

Driver - :callaway-small: GBB 

Hybrids  :cleveland-small: Halo XL Halo 18* & :cobra-small: T-Rail 20*

Irons  :cobra-small: T-Rail 2.0

Wedges :ping-small: 60* TS / SCOR 48* 53* 58*

Putter     :scotty-small:

Ball :callaway-logo-1:

Bag Datrek DG Lite  

Well, I just placed the order with Mike for the MP-54s. Based on the advice from you guys and my own thoughts from sitting on it for the past 24 hours it seems to be the most sensible option. I pulled back my deposit on the Hogan irons. As excited as I was for the Hogans, I can't justify getting them without a proper fitting. I was blown away by the MP-54s and had the data to back it up. I'm anxious for them to be in and built by next week. Went with the 5-9 for now with the Nippon N.S. Pro 1150 S shafts.

• 2 weeks later...

I went in with no preferences on heads or shafts. The only LH heads he had were the Mizuno JPX 850 cast, JPX 850 forged, MP-54 forged, and MP-4 forged. No LH heads in the Wishons, Tour Edge, or Miura irons. For the driver fitting he's going to get some LH heads for driver/fairway/hybrid from his Mizuno and Tour Edge reps. I was able to try out all the Mizuno heads with my shaft options. I didn't bother hitting the blades. He doesn't carry anything else outside of those brands. No Titleist, Ping, Taylormade, Callaway, Cobra etc. Not the biggest selection of options for me especially being left-handed but that's what I'm used to but I was impressed with process. Short of buying a plane ticket to fly somewhere that has a massive selection of LH clubheads my options are limited. We spent about 2 hours on the irons and 1 hour on the putter and it was $75 which I thought was pretty reasonable for 3 hours. He did mention that if I do decide to order the MP-54s he gets them as components and builds them and checks the lofts/lies on each iron and adjusts them if necessary.

I clearly need to go see this guy...

I have gone to two "fittings" in the past.  1 was an hour and cost me $100.  Was on a flight scope, kvest, and all that other fun stuff.  But it turned into a lesson...aparently he needed more business.  Next one was with a local top 100 teacher that also turned into a lesson, didnt hit everything in the bag, and said it all looked "fine" he made this decision partially on just looking a the clubs in my bag, very odd.  Anyway, that one was 1.5 hours and cost $150.

Given this I had given up on fittings because no one will actually fit me! I am a single digit handicap, yes I know my swing could use some work, but its not like I am a total hack wanting a fitting...I understand the whole fitting turning into a lesson thing then. 

I appreciate you writing this up, I'll contact him soon.  Do you know if this price was typical? Or did you get a lower rate because you ordered clubs?  Honestly I don't mind spending more than $75 for what you explained, just don't want to feel like I got screwed for a 3rd time haha.

• TM M1 430 w/ Speeder 757 X

TM Jetspeed w/ Fuji X 13.5*

TM UDI w/ Recoil 120 F4 21*

TM 2011 TP MBs 4-pw X100ti

TM EF Spin 52*/ATV

TM EF Spin 58*/ATV

TM Ghost Tour Black Monte Carlo

Pro V1

Looks like his normal iron fitting price is $100. He has a special through February on Mizuno iron fittings for $50. Since his only LH irons were Mizuno I assume that's why I got the special. Either way, I wouldn't have minded paying $100 at all. He didn't offer any swing tips and I'm a 13 hcp that hadn't touched a club in a month prior to going. Granted my swing was decent that day I had to knock some rust off at the beginning. He's really good about communicating too. Quick to answer emails and return phone calls. Top notch in terms of customer service. I'm no expert in terms of fittings but I was really impressed and happy with the outcome. If I missed anything that you're curious about let me know.

I appreciate the response. If I think of anything I'll be sure to ask you. In the mean time I'll shoot him an email and see what he has available in the coming weeks.

Thanks man.

• TM M1 430 w/ Speeder 757 X

TM Jetspeed w/ Fuji X 13.5*

TM UDI w/ Recoil 120 F4 21*

TM 2011 TP MBs 4-pw X100ti

TM EF Spin 52*/ATV

TM EF Spin 58*/ATV

TM Ghost Tour Black Monte Carlo

Pro V1

Archived