GolfSpy Tim

MYGOLFSPY (STAFF)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 997 posts
  • LocationFolsom, CA
  • Handicap:14

Posted 19 May 2014 - 07:05 PM

So, Tim and Dave visited Ping, they got custom fit - so... the question really is, was there anything surprising? 

pingbagged.jpg

The answer is a resounding YES

1) The Ping NFlight Motion Fitting Tool is something that others will be copying, and fitters should be buying. It takes data from ENSO and creates suggestions for shafts plotted on a dot graph based on the data collected during your swing.

2) Timmy went and got big boy muscles - I went from being a stiff guy to x-stiff

3) Umm, suddenly my 7 iron shots are going 175 - say WHAT????

We were led to the VIP fitting area at Ping - yes, somehow Dave and I convinced the higher ups at Ping that we are VIP. The grass driving range has large shade coverings that keep things cool, and even misters for when the Arizona head really kicks in.

0074_2W2A4080.jpg

We chatted about my swing, ball flight and what I currently game, and then came the "Dynamic" swing test which Dave already wrote a bit about ENSO and how the data from the beast has been filtered to create the NFlight Motion Fitting Tool utilizing Sky Pro's attachment.

Screen Shot 2014-05-18 at 6.59.19 PM.png

This is most similarly a more advanced version of Mizuno's Fitting System - you take a few swings with the NFlight Motion Fitting Tool attached the bluetooth attached ipad charts your swing into a dot graph of different shafts. The shafts that land nearest your swing in this graph are where we start.

When my fitter showed me the suggested shafts plotted on the ipad I was a bit shocked, I was being bumped up from a stiff to an extra stiff shaft. (yeah, that made me grin) All in the i25 platform.

What made me grin even more was that as we started testing shafts, I was crusing a 7 iron 175 yards in the warm Arizona desert. Going through three of the shafts nearest my plot on the graph, we quickly landed on the Dymanic Gold X100 shaft. Everything felt really clean with this shaft, loading, contact, I couldn't believe it was an x-stiff shaft. Finishing things up with irons, we did a lie board check and ended up putting me into Ping's Yellow dot (1.5 degrees upright)

yellowdot.jpg

Next up, it was time to "Let the Big Dog Eat!" (guy's trip inside joke) - I originally was most interested in the I25 driver, but my swing had different ideas, and comparing side by side, the G25 stood out as the better fit for me. (guess there's a little Bubba inside this guy afterall)

driver.jpg

Again, based on the dot graph for my swing, the driver shafts suggested were Ping's own X-stiff and the Kuro Kage. Bouncing back and forth between the two shafts (and tossing in some others just for comparison) it was clear the Kuro Kage was the winner at 60G (this was achieved through a S-flex tipped 1")

Hybrid and 4 wood were also fit similarly and resulted in more Ping's own Tour S-flex for hybrid and the same for the 4 wood.

After wrapping things up on the range, we headed indoors for Putter fitting. YES, YOU NEED to be fit for a putter. And it may be as simple as picking up the Ping iPhone cradle and testing yourself. Simply roll a few puts with your phone in the cradle using Pings's iPing app. Then select a putter that matches at the length appropriate.

I used to roll ONLY center shafted cause I thought I had a straight back straight through stroke (I'd already learned this wasn't true, but finding out from Ping that I open and close the face a lot more than I'd thought put me into a putter I may have never considered before - the Ping Zing, customized with a sound slot and cut down to 31") (think of Michelle Wie putting)

putter1.jpg

putter2.jpg

The app also let me know I needed an Orange Dot putter (that's 2.25 degrees flat)

putterface.jpg

So, that puts me into:
Driver - G25 10.5 degrees - Kuro Kage 60g Flex-S tipped 1" to Flex-X

4w - G25 - Ping Tour-Stiff

Hybrid - 23 degrees - Ping Tour-Stiff

Irons - 4-L Dynamic Gold X100 

Putter - Ping Zing 31" 2.25 degrees flat (custom sound slot)

Now to get out and play these puppies. Initial response coming shortly!

#2 Blade

Blade

AGENT NAME: PLANO

• Members

• 2,029 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 20 May 2014 - 01:26 AM

Very cool! Which Kuro Kage, Black, Silver, TiNi? Just curious.

#3 SPY ZINGER

SPY ZINGER

MYGOLFSPY (STAFF)

• MYGOLFSPY (STAFF)
  • 2,020 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis, MN
  • Handicap:12

Posted 20 May 2014 - 03:11 AM

Awesome read guys!!
Posted Image

#4 Alex1975

Alex1975

BRAND NEW SPY

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationEngland
  • Handicap:12

Posted 28 July 2014 - 02:28 PM

Sounds like a good day out!

#5 fozcycle

fozcycle

AGENT NAME: FAIRHAVEN

• Members

• 5,861 posts
  • LocationTampa, FL USA
  • Handicap:17

Posted 28 July 2014 - 02:37 PM

Nice review Tim.......now let us know how this affects your Handicap in three months.......best of luck to you!

Driver: Wilson Staff Triton with Aldila Rogue regaular shaft. Fairway: Cobra F6 Baffler 19.0* with Matrix Red Tie Regular shaft set at 16.0* Hybrids: Cobra Bio Cell 2-3 Hybrid with Bio Cell Regular shaft set at 17.5* Irons: Ben Hogan Ptx 21*/25*/29*/33*/37*/41*/45* with Recoil 660 graphite shafts. Wedges: Ben Hogan TH15 /49*/53*/57* with Recoil 660 graphite shafts  Putter: EVNROLL E6 33" with Win grip Bag: University of Kentucky Bucket Cooler Cart Bag from Team Effort Balls: Snell MTB, Wilson Duo, Vice Pro Soft, Bridgestone 330RX. Glove: Bionic GPS: Garmin G6 Laser: MG GolfDriver.  Backup irons: Cobra F6 Tecflo 4-PW with Matrix Red Tie Regular shafts  Wedges: Cobra F6 PW/GW/SW with Matrix Red Tie regular shafts set at 2* flat.  Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi at 33".

#6 RookieBlue7

RookieBlue7

• Members

• 5,386 posts
  • LocationEuharlee, GA
  • Handicap:10

Posted 28 July 2014 - 03:54 PM

Umm... What's Turtlehead in reference to?

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

#7 GolfSpy Dave

GolfSpy Dave

MYGOLFSPY (STAFF)

• MYGOLFSPY (STAFF)

• 6,633 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 28 July 2014 - 03:56 PM

Umm... What's Turtlehead in reference to?

I believe it's exactly what you think it is referencing. I don't even know the full story on that one and I am likely happy I don't...

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @golfspy_dave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

#8 RookieBlue7

RookieBlue7

• Members

• 5,386 posts
  • LocationEuharlee, GA

Posted 28 July 2014 - 04:20 PM

Is that a standard fitting set or is it specific to Tim (ie, are those his irons?) LOL

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

#9 revkev

revkev

AGENT NAME: PHOENIX

• Members

• 8,783 posts
  • LocationSt Petersburg FL
  • Handicap:3.9

Posted 29 July 2014 - 05:52 PM

I don't know why I missed this earlier - great review!

<p>Driver: G30 10.5</p><p>Fairway woods: Callaway xHot extremes</p><p>Hybrid: SLDR S (not C) </p><p>Irons: Wilson C 200 aldila rogue 75 5-PW     2 degrees flat</p><p>Wedges: SCOR 48, 53, 60 Genius graphite  2 degrees flat </p><p>Putter Never Comprimise Vodoo Daddy 32.5"</p><p>Bag: Nike Cart</p><p>Ball: Bridgestone B330 RX, Snell MTB

#10 DavidVsqz90

DavidVsqz90

BRAND NEW SPY

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts
  • LocationVan Nuys, CA
  • Handicap:18

Posted 15 September 2014 - 07:24 PM

I have been fitted and re-fitted by Ping on 2 occasions. i am true purple dot on my irons. I am going to get re-fitted again when it's time to purchase my new irons. Ping is in Peoria, AZ and it will be the last thing I do before I move back to California.

#11 Kenny B

Kenny B

AGENT NAME: PHOENIX

• Members

• 8,243 posts
  • LocationKennewick, WA
  • Handicap:7.9

Posted 15 September 2014 - 08:31 PM

Would love to go on my visit to Phoenix/Mesa next month!!  

#12 DavidVsqz90

DavidVsqz90

BRAND NEW SPY

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts
  • LocationVan Nuys, CA

Posted 15 September 2014 - 09:03 PM

Kenny you just walk in and sign up it's on a  first come first serve basis so get there early. They do close down for lunch. It's a great process and you get fitted properly. Plus if they are doing them you can take a free factory tour

PING Golf Address:
2201 West Desert Cove
Phoenix, AZ 85029

PING Golf Phone:
1-800-474-6434

#13 TheAverageGolfer

TheAverageGolfer

BRAND NEW SPY

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 28 August 2017 - 02:42 PM

In my opinion Ping has really fallen off. I find myself less and less interested in Ping's clubs, hats, ect...

#14 STUDque

STUDque

AGENT NAME: PLANO

• Members
  • 2,141 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 28 August 2017 - 02:47 PM

In my opinion Ping has really fallen off. I find myself less and less interested in Ping's clubs, hats, ect...

I'm headed the opposite direction. Never played their clubs or had interest until I got the i25 3 wood. Now I've got that, a hybrid, and am considering a driver.

The irons and wedges still don't appeal to me 100% just due to the look but my mind has been opened. Now that I've got some of their clubs, I'm allowed to wear their clothing too.

Sent from carrier pigeon using MyGolfSpy

What's in the bag?

Driver: Titleist 915 D3 (Aldila Rogue Silver X)

Wood: Ping i25 (stock x-flex)

Irons: TaylorMade Tour Preferred MC (+.5" / up 2* / stiff / mid grip)

Wedges: Titleist Vokey 52,56,60

Putter: STX SS6

Cart: Cliqgear 3.5+ (walk almost every round)

#15 Carolina Golfer 2

Carolina Golfer 2

AGENT NAME: HUNTINGTON

• Members

• 3,803 posts
  • LocationDC Metro
  • Handicap:17

Posted 28 August 2017 - 03:55 PM

Really?  Have you tried the I200 or  G400 lines?   The Driver is legit and may be the best release this year....yes I realize the Epic was also released this year.  The G400 irons are stupid easy to hit high and straight, and they look much better than previous models.

The I200 are some of the most played clubs I see in our Wednesday night league.   

:titelist-small: 917D3 9.5  Diamana 55g  stiff   :titelist-small:  917 F2 18*  Diamana Red 60g Stiff  :titelist-small: 816 H1 21* and 23* Diamana    :titelist-small: 718 AP1 4-7 iron DG AMT White Shaft, AP2  7-PW DG AMT White     :titelist-small: SM6 50.08, 54.08 and 58.12  :cameron-small: X7M   :titelist-small: ProV1X #17

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sponsors

Our Sponsors

Latest Status Updates

Recent Status Updates

• Photo
      09 Nov
    golfovernight

he best players don't get overwhelmed with mechanical thoughts as they stand over the ball. They pick one feel-based thought and go with it. Steal one of these tour thoughts for some pre-swing clarity.

View All Updates

Recent Topics

Our Sponsors