Sign in to follow this  
hckymeyer

Scratch Golf going out of business

I guess it's not much of a rumor since it's been reported and has comments from Ari in the article, but it looks like Scratch is done.

Tried finding a different place to link to but right now it just looks like WRX has the story so here it is.

http://www.golfwrx.com/331212/scratch-golf-is-going-out-of-business/

It's a bummer they are done, I played their wedges prior to the Scor wedges and really liked them.  Also had a combo set of AR/SB irons for a season.

Wasn't there an issue with the steel that Scratch was using for their wedges?  I remember something like it wasn't what was advertised and the forging didn't happen where they said it did, or something like that.  I wonder if that has something to do with going out of business?  Maybe there designs will be picked up by a Japanese company like Sonartec was by Royal Collection.

Wow that is amazing since some guy on WRX just did a review on the WITB thread on his new Scratch irons a couple of weeks ago and a couple others were going to drive up there to be fitted with the same type iron. I actually called and talked to Ari a few years ago because they had 2 loft and lie machines like mine

Wasn't there an issue with the steel that Scratch was using for their wedges? I remember something like it wasn't what was advertised and the forging didn't happen where they said it did, or something like that. I wonder if that has something to do with going out of business? Maybe there designs will be picked up by a Japanese company like Sonartec was by Royal Collection.

I believe that was a lie started by the guy that owns tour spec golf. He also spread some false info about miura if memory serves.

There is actually a thread about it somewhere. In the end it all turned out to be BS from the TS guy who didn't like the margins he was getting.

They thrived as a full-custom company but failed to compete with the majors when they started to "standardize," actually limiting options in the process. This happened to Kenneth-Smith a generation ago.

Wasn't there an issue with the steel that Scratch was using for their wedges?  I remember something like it wasn't what was advertised and the forging didn't happen where they said it did, or something like that.  I wonder if that has something to do with going out of business?  Maybe there designs will be picked up by a Japanese company like Sonartec was by Royal Collection.

Other way around, Sonartec licensed the designs from Royal Collection. 

Other way around, Sonartec licensed the designs from Royal Collection. 

Thanks Dave.  I didn't know that; way before my time.  I just know that the Sonartec FW that I picked up this year have kicked my RBZ clubs out of the bag.  I can't afford the Royal Collection clubs!!!

Thanks Dave.  I didn't know that; way before my time.  I just know that the Sonartec FW that I picked up this year have kicked my RBZ clubs out of the bag.  I can't afford the Royal Collection clubs!!!

The are pretty good. Nybrids were great too but they were made for a high SS,