Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Forum Member Reviews - Snell My Tour Ball - Team Ray

GolfSpy Barbajo

Snell-My-Tour-Ball-2.jpg

Snell My Tour Ball Forum Testing -

Team Ray

Welcome to "Team Ray" and its reviews of the My Tour Ball from Snell Golf.  

Since we had 12 testers, we figured it would be best to split the reviews up into three groups.  And in the spirit of "The Greatest Game Ever Played," we went with Team Vardon, Team Ray and Team Ouimet (obviously the sentimental favorite!)

Our boys will start off with their initial impressions of the ball, followed by their full review of the ball afterwards. As always, please make sure to ask our testers and questions you'd like about the ball and their experiences. And as you've come to expect with MyGolfSpy, these reviews will be honest and #Datacratic!

Go get 'em guys!!!

Chris O.                       1st Impressions                      Review

golfgreg74                  1st Impressions                      Review

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

So when I first saw the thread “TESTERS WANTED SNELL MY TOUR BALL”, I knew I wanted in on this test, although, I was a little concerned. I had to have my ACL reconstructed at the beginning of the summer, which sucked, but I guess it will be better for me in the long run. Breaking off the rust was a little difficult at first but I finally feel like I can consistently put a good swing on the ball. Last year was the year I decided to take my game a little more serious and get more consistency across the board. I've always enjoyed playing golf but I never really worked at it. If I went out and broke 90, I was happy, if I didn't, whatever. So I upgraded my equipment, actually started going to the range, had someone take a look at my swing and give me a few pointers. If you ask my wife she would tell you it has taken over my life, I just feel like I'm a normal golfer trying to get to the coveted “0” handicap. My biggest weak spots in my game are green side chips and putting. Every now and again I'll get sloppy off the tee but for the most part, my tee shots and iron play are my strengths. While I couldn't swing, I had a lot of time to be able to work on my short game, which was much needed. I got a lot more comfortable with different chip shots and switched my putting grip, which hopefully will help out my scores. The ball I'm currently playing is the Taylormade Tour Preferred X. I have been very happy with its performance and I feel like it's a good fit for me. I have been messing around with some lower compression balls that have a little bit softer feel which I have liked, so we'll see how all of this testing goes.

IMG_1765.jpg

IMG_1780.jpg

IMG_1768.jpg

IMG_1771.jpg

I'm a little bit newer here to the forum, but since I've been here, I have heard nothing but good things about the Snell My Tour Ball. It seems like almost all of the active members of the forum have switched to it (not all but a lot). Now that could be for a lot of reasons, price, feel, performance, wanting to stick it to “The Man”. Whatever it is, it must be good because a lot of people have started gaming it here on the forum. I'm all about smaller companies making big waves in the golf industry. I also like that Mr. Dean Snell has been so open here on a couple of the threads and answering tons of questions from the readers. I have personally never seen that from a company where they make themselves so accessible and approachable. That's just flat out awesome. So Mr. Snell, I thank you for that.

It felt like I was waiting forever for my package to arrive. It really wasn't that long, I think only took like 4 business days for it to arrive at my house; I'm just not very patient. I was very excited to get these balls because I have heard so many good things about them. As I was opening the box I was pleasantly surprised to find that they sent a hat along with the dozen of balls. I thought that was a nice little touch. I found the packaging/design to be top notch. The dark box with the chrome lettering makes the name pop out at you. 

IMG_1774.jpg

IMG_1776.jpg

IMG_1778.jpg

IMG_1779.jpg

The initial feel of the ball felt pretty good. I compared it to the TPx and they seem to feel very similar. The first thing I noticed right away was how big the logo and lettering was on the Snell ball. I don't really know if you can call that a bad thing, but I did notice how large that was. Not bad, just different. The side lettering did seem a little dull in my opinion. I guess I'm really reaching to try and find something negative because my first impressions are all pretty positive. Graphics on a ball aren't the biggest thing to me, it might bother some people how it looks but I can overlook that. I'm looking forward to getting out and testing this ball!

Driver:  :ping-small: G30 9*

Irons:  :callaway-small:  X-Forged 3-PW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX 2.0 52*

:ping-small:  Glide 58*

Putter:   :taylormade-small: Itsy-Bitsy Spider

So I was extremely excited to get out and play this ball. I have heard so many great things about it. The first fews rounds I played the MTB and my current gamer (Taylormade TPX) side by side. I played these rounds at the course where I usually play, it plays 7145. The teeth of this course is the par 3's, so I was excited to see how the MTB would play with long irons/hybrids into greens. 

The first thing I noticed was how high the MTB flew off the tee. I don't know exact numbers or even why, but it was noticeably different. Even the guys I was playing with thought it was different. I'm generally a high ball hitter but this was like I was trying to make some rain fall here in the desert. The distance on my tee shots seems to be the same between the two balls. Sometimes the TPX was longer and sometimes the MTB was longer. I really didn't notice a big difference. 

I was really happy with how the MTB reacted with full iron shots into greens. I was wondering how well it would spin back. It was ever bit as good as the TPX. The MTB held its own going into these long par 3's. The biggest difference I saw was on shots that weren't full swings or around the green. IMHO the TPX was head and shoulders above the MTB. The TPX is just flat out awesome around the green and thats why I have switched over to it. I will admit that I'm not the best short game/around the green player, so the fact that I didn't like the MTB around the green could be due to that. I found myself having to play a little bump and run or just allow more room for run out with the MTB. 

A side from the lack of green side spin, my other hold up on this ball is the sound/feel of it. I can't remember who but someone in another review commented on the hard feel and "clicky" sound. I would have to second that. Don't really know if it's necessarily a bad thing, just different than what I'm used to.  

The next few rounds I played at different courses and just played the MTB. It really is a GOOD ball! There aren't a whole lot of bad things I can say about this ball. But that being said, I still don't think I'm going to switch away from the TPX. I played Pro-v1x's before that and have loved the switch over to the TPX. It just works for me....I couldn't tell you why, honestly it's probably mental, but I just really enjoy the TPX. I want to say thank you for giving me the chance to review this ball. If you're looking for a tour quality ball for a not tour quality price, this is definitely the ball for you. If you have any questions feel free to ask. I am curious to know if anyone else has noticed a ballooning effect on tee shots? That was by far the most noticeable thing for me through the testing.

Driver:  :ping-small: G30 9*

Irons:  :callaway-small:  X-Forged 3-PW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX 2.0 52*

:ping-small:  Glide 58*

Putter:   :taylormade-small: Itsy-Bitsy Spider

I just received my balls this evening and tore into it like a kid on Christmas...

20151017_214534.jpg

Not only were there a dozen Snell My Tour Balls in the box, but there was also a pretty damn good looking black Snell Golf hat!

20151017_214643.jpg

Packaging is nice. Simple, with a description of the ball on the sleeve and the back of the box.

20151017_214711.jpg

The balls feel silky smooth...will be out chipping and putting with them tomorrow.

20151017_214759.jpg

I am currently a 9.3 and play a ProV1x. Fairway woods and mid to short irons are the best part of my game right now. I have heard of Snell golf. Mainly while reading different golf periodicals and through MyGolfSpy articles as well. I have always been intrigued but had not pulled the trigger to try them (or any of the other rivals of the big boys in balls).

Went out and chipped/putted with these balls for about 30minutes today.

20151018_141055.jpg

Took one Snell and one ProV1x. Using a 56* wedge, the Snell ball felt a little softer off the club face. The ball was comparable to in terms of feel and I liked to the sound of it off the club face. Sounded a little softer than the ProV1x.

Driver: Nike Vapor Fly (set to 9.5 draw)

3 Wood: Taylormade M2 15*

5 Wood: Bridgestone 18*

Irons 4-PW: Taylormade RocketBladz

(All wood and iron shafts are stiff)

Wedges: Cobra Tour Trusty Rusty (52*, 56*, 62*)

Putter: YES! Sarah White

Handicap: 9.1

Went out and played on Tuesday. I was able to get in 18 holes playing a Snell My Tour Ball and ProV1x.

Overall, the ball is wonderful. Every bit as good as the ProV1x.

First hole the Snell was about five yards longer than the ProV1x. Hit two great drives.  Missed my second shot and went to chip. Snell ball checked up to about three feet.  ProV1x rolled out to about ten. Again, hit two solid chips.

This was pretty much the story for the round. The Snell ball performed well above what I expected and still looked like new after 18 holes.

Tried to take pictures throughout the round, but it was not easy and they did not turn out that well...

I plan to play with it again this weekend in a Men's Club event.

**************************************************************************************************************************************

Played 18 on Sunday and another 9 Tuesday afternoon.

This ball holds up! Period. Plan and simple. Again, the ball was every bit as long (for me) as the ProV1x and, when hit well with a wedge, gave a few one hop and stops.

Unfortunately on my back nine Sunday, I ended up duck hooking one O.B. and was not able to get a picture of what it looks like after 27 holes.

I am going to try to get in another couple rounds and will try to take pics of the ball after 9 and 18 (I can be a little rough on my Snell).  Trees and cart paths (at least the ones that I hit) didn't seem to mark up the ball to badly.

I did notice a little pit/tear in the cover of the Snell that was hooked into the vineyards and was not too sure if it was from play or a manufacturer defect...I will be checking the rest to see.

**************************************************************************************************************************************

Played another 27 holes (Fri/Sat) with the Snell. I was actually able to keep it in play and use the same ball for all 27 holes...which is a good thing.

20151030_145416.jpg

20151030_145407.jpg

This was normal play, no cart path or tree attacks. I wasn't expecting the ball to look as beat up as this.

OVERALL IMPRESSION:

Overall I feel that this ball is a good substitute for the ProV1x if you don't want to spend the extra $7 for a dozen ProV's.

The feel of the ball off of the driver, irons, and putter is pretty damn close to the ProV's.

All in all a very solid golf ball.

Driver: Nike Vapor Fly (set to 9.5 draw)

3 Wood: Taylormade M2 15*

5 Wood: Bridgestone 18*

Irons 4-PW: Taylormade RocketBladz

(All wood and iron shafts are stiff)

Wedges: Cobra Tour Trusty Rusty (52*, 56*, 62*)

Putter: YES! Sarah White

Handicap: 9.1

• 2 weeks later...

First impressions from Chris O. and golfgreg74 are up!

What's in the bag:

Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Follow @golfspybarbajo

• 2 weeks later...

Reviews are up for Team Ray. Nice work boys!!!

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

So After 12 rounds playing the Snell ball beside TM tour preferred, and

Tm Burner Tour, which has been out of production for a few years but imo a Great ball

The Snell ball at first hit, felt a little harder but sounded hard.

I did not like it.

But I endeavored to preserver, and have come to like this ball very much.

Firstly I must say it has the same problem as all other balls and it sinks, and or will not roll out of the woods.

All kidding aside this ball is LONG LONG LONG off the tee regardless of sound this thing friggin flies forever my longest drive was 286 yards and thats was 19 yards longer than I hit the TM TP ball that day.

Now I didn't see the same distance off the irons or wedges. And I'm sure its my swing contributing to most of this.

I will say it is a harder sounding  ball off the irons and on mishits it feels very hard.

As for the all and ever important green feed back.

I play Ping iE irons and have a very high ball flight, with that said after a few holes I came to trust this ball to do what we all want, BITE.

I had no worries either with the bump and run , very predictable.

Off the putter same deal feels a little hard but it sounds harder.

BY THE WAY Did I say this thing is long off the driver.

I had tons of pictures and even some of the ball makes with distance to where it stopped on my phone,  iphones don't float either.

$600 oh crap moment there. 

So no pics. 

Will I buy this ball again? Probably not this version and not at this price point. 

Why? There are too many others out there. Flat out period.

Now I'm sure some of youse out there will say Im a .......... fill in the blank

I like what I like.

Next version if it sounds softer with the same performance I'm in up to my neck.

Can I get an Amen

Archived