Testers Wanted: Newton Driver Shafts ×

What equipment are you thinking about?

null

On 7/27/2024 at 4:05 PM, Vegan_Golfer_PNW said:

Almost tempted to pull the trigger on a sub70 set with the mgs deal. This is a steal! 

IMG_1128.png

IMG_1129.png

You know I am very happy with my Sub 70 699 ProV2 3i driving iron. I will definitely include them next time I am considering new gear. 

Switch hitter, RH Driver, LH Irons

Callaway Mavrik Driver (RH)

Sub 70 3i Driving/Utility iron (LH)

Maltby STi2 4i-PW, GW (LH)

Mizuno MP R Series 52 degree 

Wilson Jim Ferrier Signature SW (LH)

Mizuno TP Mills blade putter (LH)

On the search or a good, used 7 wood. I keep hearing nothing but great things about them, I figured it's time to see what the hype is all about. 

Driver:            :cobra-small: Aerojet 9* | Hzrdus Black Gen 4
Fairway:         :ping-small: G410 3W 13* | Alta CB 65
Hybrid:           :titleist-small: TS2 18* | Tensei AV Blue 70 S
Hybrid:           :ping-small: iCrossover 20* | Kai'li White 80
Irons:              :taylormade-small: P790 5-PW | DG S300
Wedges:         :titleist-small: Vokey SM9 | 52, 56, 60 | DG S200
Putter:            :L.A.B.: Link.1 | Accra x LAB

--- LAB Golf Link.1 Review ---

So my putting lately has been bad... like bad bad. So, naturally, I blamed it on my putter and not my actual stroke and casually made my way to my local golf store. For once, I was actually right about my putter and it turns out, my current gamer does not match my current stroke. I have a face-balanced putter and need one with a slight toe hang. I have missed so many putts lately to the right side of the hole and it is because my face-balanced putter is leaving the face slightly open. I went and tried a few putters and really liked the look of the slant neck putters. I was putting night and day difference with the slant neck which means I need a new putter! I'm working on selling my current putter and then will work on buying a new one with a slant neck. I will let you all know what I end up buying!

Driver: Callaway Rogue ST MAX LS

Hybrid: SIM 2 3 Hybrid

Irons: Mizuno JPX 921 Tour 4-P

Wedges: Sub70 TAIII 50, 54, 60

Putter: Odyssey Ai-One Seven S

Maxfli Tour Golf Ball Review

Rapsodo MLM2Pro Launch Monitor Review

Unofficial Mizuno Type III Putter Review

3 hours ago, TSauer said:

On the search or a good, used 7 wood. I keep hearing nothing but great things about them, I figured it's time to see what the hype is all about. 

Have you thought about a 4 hybrid as well?

PXG 0211

15* Taylormade Sim 2 max

18* hybrid (Taylormade)

22* hybrid (Adams)

25* hybrid (Tour edge)

irons - Callaway Big Bertha 2002 (It's a long story!)

Putter - Odyssey AI one 2 ball DB 35¨

32 minutes ago, Lefty11 said:

Have you thought about a 4 hybrid as well?

I've currently got a 4 hybrid. To be honest, the top end of my bag is a mess. It needs some serious looking over and a refresh.

5 minutes ago, TSauer said:

I've currently got a 4 hybrid. To be honest, the top end of my bag is a mess. It needs some serious looking over and a refresh.

The top of the bag has been a big area of focus for me this year. 

I'm currently gaming

a mini at 12.5*

4w turned down 3/4

5w

19* hybrid

Hybrid for long par 3s I need the height or for getting over trees in the fairway.

:callaway-small: Paradym TD Driver w/ Ventus Blue 6S

:ping-small: 3W

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 5's (4-6) w/ KBS Tour V

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 7's (7-PW) w/ KBS Tour V

:titleist-small: Vokey Wedges 50* 54* 58*

:L.A.B.: DF2.1 Putter

8 minutes ago, Josh Parker said:

The top of the bag has been a big area of focus for me this year. 

I'm currently gaming

a mini at 12.5*

4w turned down 3/4

5w

19* hybrid

Hybrid for long par 3s I need the height or for getting over trees in the fairway.

Are you pretty satisfied with that setup or do you think you'll be swapping anything soon?

7 minutes ago, TSauer said:

Are you pretty satisfied with that setup or do you think you'll be swapping anything soon?

I could see dropping either the 4 or 5 wood if i could find a driver that worked well enough but currently, I really like my set up. With the 5w and 19* hybrid the lofts are similar but gives me multiple shots and distances between the two clubs alone. 

Mini has been great off the tee and I'm hitting 250 carry with it and can hit off the deck if needed. 

4w is my go to off the tee on dogleg par 5s and off the deck.  

I have full confidence in the top of my bag finally. 

30 minutes ago, TSauer said:

Good luck with your search for a new clubs. It could be worse….Unfortunately, my irons were recently stolen, so I'm currently making do with my old starter Callaway Big Bertha set.

PXG 0211

15* Taylormade Sim 2 max

18* hybrid (Taylormade)

22* hybrid (Adams)

25* hybrid (Tour edge)

irons - Callaway Big Bertha 2002 (It's a long story!)

Putter - Odyssey AI one 2 ball DB 35¨

Another thing I'm looking into is changing iron shafts for the first time in years. My swing speed is the same as it was when I was originally fitted, but I've lost some distance. Dispersion is still good, but my ball flight and distance are definitely not what they should be.

In my Vessel-removebg-preview.png.afd31301c874ee24a33a6c5f06f4ab98.png Lux XV Cart Bag:
Driver: Cobra RADSPEED XB PTC 10.5°
Fairway: Callaway Paradym 3HL 16.5°
Utility: Callaway Apex UW 19°
4 Hybrid: Cobra KING LTDx 21°
Irons: New Level 480-TC (Thanks to MGS for allowing me to test these!)
Wedges: Edison Golf 2.0 49°, 53°, 57°
Putter: L.A.B. Golf DF3 34"/67°
Ball: Maxfli Tour (Thanks to MGS for allowing me to test these!)

Check out my Official MGS Reviews Below!
:skycaddie: LX5 Watch - Link Here!

MaxFli.png.395dd0dca3a12529f636728b3e66a134.png Tour and TourX Golf Balls - Link Here!

image.png.28a3be9c497202cfc8176faecf8777ad.png Approach S70 Watch - Link Here!

9 hours ago, TSauer said:

I have zero regrets about moving to a 7-wood. I tried to like a 4-hybrid, and have tried a few, but the 7W just keeps winning the fight. I replaced my old Rogue ST Max 7W with a TSR2 7W, with a heavier stiffer shaft (75g XS), and it's pretty much my most reliable club at the top end of my bag. Easy to fly high with a 7-iron descent angle that will hold a green, or punch lower like a 5W. Easy enough to shape too. Feels like a unicorn club!

I rarely reach for my 3H (cranked down to 18*) off the turf now and it is more of a driving iron replacement (and low rescue for under trees).

It's been a very busy last couple of years of experimenting and changing the top end of the bag. I returned to golf in 2022 after a 20yr hiatus, so had a lot of re-learning and catching up on technology! I made some mistakes, had a few lessons and dived deep into tinkering with clubs and shafts as I improved and started regaining my golf game. LMAO

Top of my bag 2yrs ago was all Callaway: D (10.5* Mavrik) stiff, 4W stiff (16.5*, Rogue ST Max), 3H stiff (19* Apex Pro), 4H stiff (21* Mavrik Pro), 5i stiff (23.5*). Couldn't get on with those hybrids, so moved them on and tested a bunch of alternates (thanks to my coach)...

Intermediate (~1yr ago), Cally/ TM mix: D XS (9* Rogue ST Max LS), 4W S, 3H XS (19* Stealth+), 7W S (Rogue ST Max), 5i X-stiff (upgraded all iron shafts)

More testing with XS shafted alternates (my driver swing speed is in the 108-112mph range) led me in a better direction...

Now Ping/ Titleist/ TM mix: D XS (8*, G430LST), '3'W XS (12.25* TSR2+), 3H XS (18*), 7W XS (21* TSR2)

The only change on the cards for the future right now is driver- I have a Callaway Ai Smoke TD Max on order (couldn't resist with the 2x value trade ins Callaway were offering recently!). Ha ha. So it'll be a fight between the Ping and Callaway when the latter arrives.

The rest stays in the bag- I need to stop tinkering soon! lol

I've reached the point where the clubs are a good fit and I am the limiting factor; improvements need to be in technique, practice and decision making/ course management. Particularly chipping and putting.lol

2024 WITB:

Driver::callaway-logo-1: Ai Smoke 🔹🔹🔹 MAX 9* w. Denali 60g 6.5 (XS)

FW woods: :titleist-small:TSR2+ 13* '2W' w. Mitsubishi Tensei White 75X & TSR2 21* 7W w. Mitsubishi Tensei White 75X

Hybrid: :taylormade-small:Stealth+ 3H (@18*) w. :projectx: Hzrdus Smoke RDX Red 80/6.5

Irons: :taylormade-small: 5i-PW: '17 P790 w. :kbs: Tour C-Taper Lite 115X (Incoming soon: :taylormade-small: 4i-PW: 2024 P770 w. :projectx: Rifle 6.0 (+1/4"))

Wedges: :taylormade-small: 50/09 MG4; 56/12 MG4TW Raw; :vokey-small:SM9 60/04L

Putter: :scotty-cameron-1: Phantom X7

Ball: :taylormade-small: TP5x //  :callaway-small: Chrome Tour // Maxfli Tour X

Other: :Arccos:. Gogogo Sport V-Pro rangefinder;  :Ogio: Woode Hybrid Stand Bag; :BagBoy: Nitron push cart.

2024 Tests:

"...pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in space, 'cause there's bugger all down here on Earth!"- Eric Idle

11 minutes ago, Josh Ross said:

Another thing I'm looking into is changing iron shafts for the first time in years. My swing speed is the same as it was when I was originally fitted, but I've lost some distance. Dispersion is still good, but my ball flight and distance are definitely not what they should be.

What do you attribute that to?

12 minutes ago, Josh Parker said:

What do you attribute that to?

I really don't know. My swing is probably slightly different than it was six or seven years ago, but I'm almost a club shorter than I used to be. Lofts are the same, but I went from Mizuno JPX Tours to the Srixon ZX5/ZX7 combo. When I got them though, they weren't any shorter. I'm just wondering if my swing is different enough that the shaft isn't the best fit anymore?

In my Vessel-removebg-preview.png.afd31301c874ee24a33a6c5f06f4ab98.png Lux XV Cart Bag:

MaxFli.png.395dd0dca3a12529f636728b3e66a134.png Tour and TourX Golf Balls - Link Here!

10 hours ago, TSauer said:

My favorite 7 wood has been this Yamaha RMX. Its been point n shoot and straight all over the face. Im not sure if the shaft is right for you but its worth it just for the head. I never thought any club would replace my Exotics Exs 220 7 wood but these are special. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/186441104938

The seller is very legit and I get all my clubs from them in under 5 days and Im in NJ. 

Edited by KOG

Driver : Yamaha RMX 220 9.5 With Diamana ZF50 Stiff

3 Wood : Exotics C721 16.5* With Tensei Blue 60 stiff

7 Wood: Yamaha RMX VD 21* with Diamana Whiteboard 60 Stiff

Hybrid : Exotics C721 5 Hybrid with KBS Hy 75 stiff

Utility Iron/ 5 iron: Srixon ZX 23* w MMT 85 stiff

6-pw Matlby TS3 w MMT 85 stiff

50*, 54* Mack Daddy 4 black w Modus 120 stiff

58*  Mack Daddy 3 PM Grind w Modus 120 stiff

Putter: Ben Hogan BHB03 W UST Freq Filtered shaft

Revelation CEO Cart Bag

14 minutes ago, Josh Ross said:

I really don't know. My swing is probably slightly different than it was six or seven years ago, but I'm almost a club shorter than I used to be. Lofts are the same, but I went from Mizuno JPX Tours to the Srixon ZX5/ZX7 combo. When I got them though, they weren't any shorter. I'm just wondering if my swing is different enough that the shaft isn't the best fit anymore?

Six or seven years since the last fitting is on the long end. I bet you might find things changed slightly. 

Play like a champion today!

28 minutes ago, Josh Ross said:

I don't know much about the JPX but currently play the zx5/7 combo and love them. What shafts are you playing?  

I have the tour v reg 100 on mine and just got fit for steelfiber 110 reg with ss of 85 on 7 iron. 

19 minutes ago, GolfSpy_BEN said:

I scratched that particular itch with a Callaway Rogue ST Max I picked up off of the CPO site last summer. I got it for a reasonable price and had it re-shafted this year when the original shaft broke. With the new shaft, it has become one of the truly “safe” clubs in my bag. When we/they tell you it’s a cheat code, believe us/them. 😁

Another broken shaft....  dang man. Ha

So does the 7w replace your 4 iron?  Do you like it more than a hybrid?

for me it filled the 205-215 gap and lands softley on greens. I used to pull my hybrids and I am more consistant than with my 4 iron.

Driver : Yamaha RMX 220 9.5 With Diamana ZF50 Stiff

3 Wood : Exotics C721 16.5* With Tensei Blue 60 stiff

7 Wood: Yamaha RMX VD 21* with Diamana Whiteboard 60 Stiff

Hybrid : Exotics C721 5 Hybrid with KBS Hy 75 stiff

Utility Iron/ 5 iron: Srixon ZX 23* w MMT 85 stiff

6-pw Matlby TS3 w MMT 85 stiff

50*, 54* Mack Daddy 4 black w Modus 120 stiff

58*  Mack Daddy 3 PM Grind w Modus 120 stiff

Putter: Ben Hogan BHB03 W UST Freq Filtered shaft

Revelation CEO Cart Bag

After reading a review from what I believe is a reliable source .. Matt Saternus at Plugged In Golf...

https://pluggedingolf.com/the-one-wedge-review/

I'm kinda thinking about what looks like a TV ad gimmick or Alien Roswell wedge...

https://www.performancegolf.com/one-wedge

It's designed by Martin Chuck and produced and sold by his company Performance Golf. And yeah they make a bunch of bold claims about simplifying your short game, etc etc.

In a few of the comments after the review a few people didn't like the counterbalanced shaft and preferred the Cleveland Smart Sole .. which I usually don't like either .. so the Smart Sole may be the next doodad I "Think About"... 😄

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym AI Smoke Max (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
3H...Cobra King Tec (MMT 70/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha '19 (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
SW, LW...Mizuno ES21 54-08, 60-06 (KBS Hi Rev 2.0)
Putter...
MLA Tour XDream or EvnRoll ER5
...all in a Bag Boy hybrid bag on an MGI Zip Navigator.
..ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour. Or "found" Pro V1.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)
Other tests: MLA putter; Cleveland Hi Bore driver; Ben Hogan hybrids.

followthrough.jpg

2 hours ago, Josh Parker said:

Another broken shaft....  dang man. Ha

So does the 7w replace your 4 iron?  Do you like it more than a hybrid?

In fairness, the existing shaft was a Cypher 5.5 that wasn’t really meant for swings like mine. I got a Lin-Q 7X from my good buddy, @GolfSpy_BNG and the club has been lights out ever since. 

For me, it is a direct replacement for a 4 iron and the only thing 4 irons are good for is killing snakes. I have never tried a 4 hybrid specifically, so I couldn’t say. 

I like this 7W enough that I haven’t thought of replacing it at all. Which for me, is a rarity.

WITB:

D: :ping-small: G430 Max 10k 10.5° turned up 1°  w/ GD Tour AD-UB 6s

3w::ping-small: 14.5° G425 Max Newton 6 dot

3h: :ping-small: G430 18° Tour 2.0/Stiff

7W: :callaway-small: 21° Rogue ST Max LinQ 7X

4i:mizuno-small: Pro 225 with Project X io 6.0

5i-PW:  :ping-small: Blueprint S with DG S300

50,54° & 58°: :vokey-small: SM-10

P:   :L.A.B.: Link.1

Ball:  :vice: Pro Plus Drip

Bag:  Ghost MGS Anyday 14 way

"And so, we beat on, boats against the current, borne ceaselessly into the past." - Fitzgerald

” The woods are lovely, dark and deep,   

But I have promises to keep,   

And miles to go before I sleep,   

And miles to go before I sleep. - Frost

"That you are here—that life exists and identity,

That the powerful play goes on, and you may contribute a verse." - Whitman

2 hours ago, Josh Parker said:

I don't know much about the JPX but currently play the zx5/7 combo and love them. What shafts are you playing?  

I have the tour v reg 100 on mine and just got fit for steelfiber 110 reg with ss of 85 on 7 iron. 

The Project X LZ 6.0. It has been the best shaft I've ever used but I'm interested in seeing what a fitting says. If I somehow get lucky enough to get chosen in the PXG review I'll have to hit the local PXG store and get a proper fitting done with them.

3 hours ago, Javs said:

Six or seven years since the last fitting is on the long end. I bet you might find things changed slightly. 

You're right. I've loved them for so long that I never even thought about changing until recently.

2 hours ago, cksurfdude said:

After reading a review from what I believe is a reliable source .. Matt Saternus at Plugged In Golf...

https://pluggedingolf.com/the-one-wedge-review/

I'm kinda thinking about what looks like a TV ad gimmick or Alien Roswell wedge...

https://www.performancegolf.com/one-wedge

It's designed by Martin Chuck and produced and sold by his company Performance Golf. And yeah they make a bunch of bold claims about simplifying your short game, etc etc.

In a few of the comments after the review a few people didn't like the counterbalanced shaft and preferred the Cleveland Smart Sole .. which I usually don't like either .. so the Smart Sole may be the next doodad I "Think About"... 😄

Matt is awesome. When I was with Edison I sent him some wedges for review and he loved them so much that he's been gaming them and the new 2.0 version ever since. Plugged In is a great source for unbiased reviews.

4 hours ago, GolfSpy_BEN said:

In fairness, the existing shaft was a Cypher 5.5 that wasn’t really meant for swings like mine. I got a Lin-Q 7X from my good buddy, @GolfSpy_BNG and the club has been lights out ever since. 

For me, it is a direct replacement for a 4 iron and the only thing 4 irons are good for is killing snakes. I have never tried a 4 hybrid specifically, so I couldn’t say. 

I like this 7W enough that I haven’t thought of replacing it at all. Which for me, is a rarity.

Haha. Yeah 5.5 prob didn't last long.  

For a club to stay in most of our bags, it should say alot. 

I am in the same boat as @Josh Ross.  I too game the PX LZ, and it is often great, but even when my back cooperates I struggle to hit GIR.  I have been planning to build a set of Maltby TS1 irons, and I flirted with graphite (as I wrote about here), but I keep coming back to the fact that the best feeling, clearly most accurate, and most consistent club in my bag is my TS1 gap wedge with my previous gamer shaft - KBS Tour 120S.

I have had red Miura [EDIT:  Iomic!] grips and custom red BB&F ferrules waiting for my next build for over a year.   So I pulled the trigger on a set of KBS Tour 120S Custom Black shafts for this build.   I think this will be a good looking combo.  Fingers crossed they perform as well as I think they will.  If they do, I may reshaft my TS3s too.

Edited by IndyBonzo

Working at getting better ... and very slowly getting there.

•  :callaway-small: Paradym 🔹🔹🔹 8* (:accra:  Shogun Blue M0 Otto-Phlex)
  •  :taylormade-small: Brnr Mini driver 13.5* (:accra: FX 3.0 140 M1 Otto-Phlex)
  • :callaway-small: Paradym X 4 and 5 Hybrids
  •  Maltby TS3 (4-8)/TS4 (9-PW)/TS1 (GW) (shafts:  :projectx: LZ 6.0)
  • :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore 53*, and 58* mid wedges (:projectx: wedge shafts 6.5)
  • :L.A.B.: DF 2.1 (BTG shaft)
  • :redrooster: Gloves

My Official 2024 TaylorMade Qi10 Review:  https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/62804-taylormade-qi10-drivers-2024-forum-member-review/?do=findComment&comment=1014200

My Official 2023 Red Rooster Sussex Glove Review:  https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/58614-2023-mgs-forum-member-test-red-rooster-sussex-golf-glove/#comment-911042

Welp…not thinking about it anymore…Looking forward to seeing how this works out on the course!

IMG_9249.jpeg

IMG_9250.jpeg

LW- MG4 58* (60* bent strong)

SW- MG4 54* (56* bent strong)

GW- MG4 50*

4-PW - Paradise P-1 Prototype

3 Hybrid- PXG Black OPS

3W- Taylormade Stealth 2 HL

Driver- PXG Black OPS 9*

Putter- L.A.B. DF 2.1 Armlock

Hit the PGA Superstore this morning to try out the G430 Max and SFT 5 & 7 woods. They were good, realize that I need to still practice a lot on my swing based on the distances I was getting, but they were easy to hit. 

I also hit the Tour Edge Hot Launch C524 5w and that thing was working really well. I think it was the shaft on the Tour Edge being lighter, but also considering this one sometime in the future. 

I was getting 180 yards max with the fairways which leads me to believe I should maybe wait until my swing is faster to purchase but maybe having them to practice will encourage the growth 🤔 life's conundrum 

WITB

Driver:  :taylormade-small: Qi10 Max 10.5°

Hybrid: 🐏 FX Max 25°, :titleist-small: Tsi2 21°

4i-9i: 🐏 FX Max 10

Wedges: :vokey-small: SM10 - 50° 12f, 54° 14f, 58° 14k

Putter:  :mizuno-small: M.Craft Type VI

Ball: :vice: Pro Air

Bag: Ghost Golf Maverick 14-Way 

Glove: Nexgen Nano-X Pro Tour+

17 hours ago, Michael.Sandoval33 said:

also hit the Tour Edge Hot Launch C524

Tour Edge makes great clubs .. especially fairways! Maybe also try the E series, see what you think. Check their website for prior years closeouts, too.

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym AI Smoke Max (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
3H...Cobra King Tec (MMT 70/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha '19 (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
SW, LW...Mizuno ES21 54-08, 60-06 (KBS Hi Rev 2.0)
Putter...
MLA Tour XDream or EvnRoll ER5
...all in a Bag Boy hybrid bag on an MGI Zip Navigator.
..ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour. Or "found" Pro V1.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)
Other tests: MLA putter; Cleveland Hi Bore driver; Ben Hogan hybrids.

followthrough.jpg

33 minutes ago, cksurfdude said:

Tour Edge makes great clubs .. especially fairways! Maybe also try the E series, see what you think. Check their website for prior years closeouts, too.

Wholeheartly agree!  I play Tour Edge hybrids (Exotics C722 17 degree, Exotics CBX 119 20 degree) and liked them so much I ended up selling my fairway woods.  Very underrated brand and a great choice for budget minded golfers like myself. 

PXG Gen6 0311 driver 9 degree with Mitsubishi Tensei AV Raw Blue 65g stiff shaft

Tour Edge Exotics C722 2 hybrid (17 degree)

Tour Edge Exotics CBX 119 3 hybrid (20 degree)

Callaway Mavrik 5 hybrid (23 degree)

PXG 0311XP Gen3 irons 6-PW

Wedges: Edel 48 degree;  Cleveland RTX Fullface 52 degree; Cleveland Smartsole 58 degree

Odyssey White Hot Tour #5 putter