Get ready to blow an hour or two...
Scotty Cameron has announced a new Custom Shop tool to tweak and personalize your Cameron putter. This is nothing really new, as Mr. Cameron has had some kind of interface online in the Custom Shop for some time. That tool was a little clunky though as you had to click all over the place to make sure you hit all of the spots for paint and stamps.
This new tool seems much more user friendly. Now all of the options are on the left margin, and require just a few clicks to update and customize your putter.
It's a fun little diversion for the day.
If you don't have time to goof with it right now, I'll give you my initial takes.
- It is easy to use, and works great if you have a newer Cameron to work with. My old Tel3 Newport Long Neck was not in the new fancy system, though it could still be customized.
- Full restoration is now $290! Maybe I missed this, but didn't it used to be a ton cheaper? Like $150 and that included a new grip and headcover. As for grips and headcovers...
- Custom Shop Only headcovers and grips are not as cool as they once were. Gone are the Custom Shop only grips and headcovers. Sure, there are some in the system only available through the shop, but I always liked the simple Custom Shop grips of various colors. Not many, if any, grip and headcover combos. I always wanted to go grip-headcover-shaft band all in purple or orange. Not available.
- If you want a $50 metal shaft band, you can have one. Odd thing is that not all of the paintfill colors are available on the shaft bands. If you have an orange theme running through your putter, you'll not be able to select orange shaft band.
- It's insanely expensive. Take a look at the screen shot that I came up with from playing with the system. Total customization price: $492, and that doesn't include the original putter. I'm one of the last people to ****** about how expensive golf equipment is, especially custom putters, but FFS that's outlandish. You can send a putter to Putter Lounge or other refinishing folk for a fraction of that and all you'll miss are the Cameron Shop bands and such. Maybe I'm off base on this, but it's almost offensively expensive now.
Anyway, feel free to check out the new system and let me know what you think. Am I way off in my assessment? Is there something that I have missed valuewise, or do you agree that the price boost seems over the top.
Are the Custom Shop Only items enough to get your money? Do you think that the sun headcovers would be a hell of a lot better without the Camo? Seriously, why is 2017 Cameron's Camo year? I don't get it. This cover in various colors could have almost single handedly changed my attitude on the whole process.
Anyway, what are your thoughts? Feel free to read the press release from Cameron below at your leisure.
Custom Shop Creator on YouTube: https://www.youtube....h?v=UZm3QCR5eRs
FAIRHAVEN, Mass. (Oct. 11, 2017) – In keeping with the idea that the putter is the most personal club in a golfer’s bag, Master Putter Maker Scotty Cameron today introduced his new Custom Shop Creator – a state-of-the-art online putter customizer accessible through ScottyCameron.com.
The Custom Shop Creator (www.scottycameron.com/customshop) allows golfers to virtually personalize their Scotty Cameron putters like never before, instantly bringing their ideas to life through realistic high-resolution image renderings. Golfers then send their putters to Scotty’s Custom Shop, housed at the Putter Studio in Southern California, where their customizations become a reality.
“I created the Custom Shop to give passionate players a way to preserve, personalize and protect their putters for life,” Cameron said. “The Custom Shop Creator really takes the creative process to another level. From your desktop or mobile device, you can easily experiment with custom stampings, sight lines, different weights and paintfill. You can change the finish from silver to black. It just gives you that feel of a Tour-like experience and creating a one-of-a-kind design.”
All putter models since 2014, plus many of Scotty’s most popular prior models, are available in the new customizer for photo-realistic customization. Owners of older putter models will be seamlessly linked to Scotty Cameron’s Classic Form, where an additional 100 putter models may be customized.
Since 2004, Scotty Cameron has offered personalization, customization, authentication and restoration services in the Custom Shop. From specialty grips, headcovers and authentic accessories to stamps, initials, engraved weights and full restoration of years old, game-worn Scotty Cameron putters, the Custom Shop has provided golfers with a resource to not only customize an already-purchased putter, but to also authenticate and refurbish these valuable clubs.
The new Custom Shop Creator introduces several new features:
• Realistic renderings display vibrant representations of custom stamps, initials, sight lines, weights, finishes and more – including accurate depictions of Scotty’s translucent and opaque paintfill colors – all in real-time as a user moves through the application.
• Responsive design adapts to mobile and desktop devices providing users the flexibility to enter a Custom Shop order from anywhere.
• Seamless workflow presents customization choices in an improved sequence more aligned with the way a customer would logically move through the process.
• Quick links to popular models allow users to easily search and choose from existing putter types to move immediately into the customization process.
• Save customizations feature – provides users with the option to create their custom putter at their own pace, saving within the application to finish later.
• New Custom Shop-only accessories – added to the Custom Shop include new stamps, as well as 12 new headcovers, shaft bands, 15 new paint-filled shaft rings and new grips.
PRICE AND AVAILABILITY: Full putter restoration, including choice of silver or black finish, is $290. Authentication is $75. New paint is $72. Grips range from $15-$57. Headcovers range from $35-$124. Loft and lie adjustments are free.
ON THE WEB: www.scottycameron.com/scottys-custom-shop
• YOUTUBE: https://www.youtube.com/ScottyCameron
• INSTAGRAM: https://www.instagra...m/ScottyCameron
• TWITTER: https://www.twitter.com/ScottyCameron