WardenGolf

Do you actually use your 3-Wood?

Our Sponsors

On 5/18/2020 at 7:14 PM, jstarley1 said:

I have an old ping rapture 3 wood that’s 13 degrees, I used it all the time off the tee for tight holes, I think if you learn when and how to use it your three wood can become your most useful club in your bag

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Same. I *love* this club. I know at some point I'll probably need to change, but it and my putter have remained constant for 13 years now. One time I when regripped, I went with a slightly thinner grip to help promote a slight draw and now it's my go-to off the tee if I don't get to properly warm-up before a round. (My driver was fit assuming swing speeds typical of a good warm-up, but it's a touch too stiff and thus fade-biased if I'm not swinging at least 80%.)

• Like 2

Driver: :callaway-small: Epic Flash Subzero 9* loft with HZDRUS Smoke stiff
3 wood: :ping-small: Rapture 14* with Aldila VS Proto 80 stiff
2-hybrid: :taylormade-small: GAPR Lo with stock KBS Hybrid 80g stiff
4i-PW: :ping-small: i210 blue dot, Power Spec, with TT S300 hard stepped
50*, 54*, and 58*: :mizuno-small: blue ion S18 with TT wedge
Putter: :ping-small: Redwood Piper 0*

Ball: :srixon-small: Z STAR XV
Bag: :ping-small: Hoofer (2018) in black/white/copper

Using :Arccos: to keep track of my shots
All clubs RH

On 5/5/2020 at 4:38 PM, mglo35 said:

My M2 3 wood gets plenty of use on the course. I'd say it gets about 8-10 solid uses per round, off the tee box or fairway. There's something about the stock TM Reax X flex shaft in it that makes it super reliable for me.

Also I might be the only one like this but I can only hit my 3 wood off the deck. Whenever I tee it up, I either top it or duck hook it. But doesn't bother me because it helps for getting on the green in 2 on those par 5's. 

I used to have the same problem with my 3 wood. Tee it up = Duck hook...But I just ended up going to the range to groove the tee off shot and can now hit it great off the tee. Adds a few extra yards for those holes where driver is still a bit too much. 

• Like 3

Driver: :taylormade-small: M5 9.5* head set to 8* loft 3*open, weights set slightly lower Launch and fade bias
3 wood: :taylormade-small: M1 13.5* Head set open w/ Fade bias weights. 
Irons: :ping-small: I-Blades PW-3i, 2* up standard length.
Wedges: :ping-small:Glide 1.0 TS 60*, :ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 ES, :titelist-small:Vokey 52* 
Putter: :ping-small: Sigma G Kushin .
Ball: Various: :titelist-small: AVX, :bridgestone-small: B X, and currently testing the Vice Pro + Neon just for fun

Good example of my 3-wood use. Yesterday on the first hole I topped my drive about 30 yards. Hit the 3-wood well and got into a 6 iron range to save par.

#7 a criminally long par 4 dead into a stiff breeze. Hit a pretty solid drive but still 210 out. Hit the 3 w into a greenside bunker and had a chance to save par (didn’t)

#10 a longer par 4 into the wind. Decent drive and a decent 3 wood and a short chip for a nice par save (but missed the short putt)

#12 par 5, driver took a tough bounce and left me behind a tree, but was able to hit a 3 wood stinger under branches, and a 7 iron on for a par (but I 3 putted)

so there’s 4 times I needed that club. Never sure when you’ll need it, but it’s always good tool to have available.

• Like 2

:ping-small: G400 LSTec driver 10° on Aldila X-Torsion Stiff

:callaway-small: 816 Alpha 3-wood 15° On Aldila Rogue Stiff

:callaway-small: 815 GBB Alpha hybrid 19° On Fujikura Speeder 865 Stiff

:cobra-small: F8 5/6 wood

:benhogan-small: Ptx Pro 5-P irons on KBS Tour V 110 S

:benhogan-small: Equalizer 50°, 54°, 60° wedges on recoil 780 Stiff

:mizuno-small: MP5/MP25 combo

Sub70  Wedges 50°, 54°, 58° Raw, on Recoil 760 SmacWrap

:1332069271_TommyArmour:  Impact #3 putter

:EVNROLL: ER3 34”

:titelist-small: ProV1x

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 shoes

Sketcher shoes

I love my 3 wood. When I played today I counted hitting mine 11 times (one of those was on a tee box). I used my driver 13 times.

When I've played in a game when I could only have 5 clubs, I always gave up my driver in favor of my 3 wood.

• Like 1

:cobra-small: King Cobra F8 driver

:ping-small: Serene: # wood, 5 & 5 hybrid irons

:taylormade-small: r7 Draw, Flex L: 4 - 9 irons, PW

:cleveland-small: RTX-3: 52/10 wedge and 56/11 wedge

:edel-golf-1: E-2 Torque custom fit putter

:bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS golf ball

:ShotScope:  V3

I use my 3 wood 2 or 3 times per round, but I never feel like I know where it is going to go. I wonder if switching to a 4 wood might actually do me some good as some have suggested here...

WITB:

Callaway Rogue - D and 3W

Titleist 915H

Mizuno JPX 850 Forged Irons

Taylormade MG Wedges and Hi-Toe 58

All the time! I played 18 yesterday and I think I used it on 6 tee shots.  I hit the ball a decent ways 280-285 Driver.  So the straight 250-260 3W comes in handy on days were driver just isn't working, or course is tighter.  Also pulled it out of the bag for two approach shots to par 5, two good shots as well I must say both landing about 10 yards short.  

• Like 2

Yes I do, I play ping G400 12* it fits the gapping in my bag perfect. Short par 4s that the driver is too much for. Or the really long par 5s.

Sent from my LG-H931 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 1

:ping-small:G410 LST 7* W/ UST V2 84-gram S-shaft

:ping-small:G400 Strength 3 wood 12* W/ UST V2 94-gram S-shaft

:ping-small:G400 Hybrid 19* W/ Graphite Design Tour AD-105 S-shaft

:srixon-small: Z585 4-PW MODUS Tour S-105 / May switch out to S400's in the future

:cleveland-small:Smart sole 4. GW/50*

:cleveland-small:CBX FULL FACE 56* & 60*

:cleveland-small:Cleveland Classic Collection HB 2 Black Pearl putter

:srixon-small:Soft Feel Brite Green

Righty and the Bag is an old beat-up :titelist-small: 

:Arccos:

On 5/21/2020 at 10:08 PM, artful_golfer said:

I love my 3 wood. When I played today I counted hitting mine 11 times (one of those was on a tee box). I used my driver 13 times.

When I've played in a game when I could only have 5 clubs, I always gave up my driver in favor of my 3 wood.

In my round today, I used my 3 wood 10 times - none of those were on a tee box).

• Like 1

:cobra-small: King Cobra F8 driver

:ping-small: Serene: # wood, 5 & 5 hybrid irons

:taylormade-small: r7 Draw, Flex L: 4 - 9 irons, PW

:cleveland-small: RTX-3: 52/10 wedge and 56/11 wedge

:edel-golf-1: E-2 Torque custom fit putter

:bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS golf ball

:ShotScope:  V3

Today's 3wood. Mind you it's a 12*

• Like 1

:srixon-small: Z585 4-PW MODUS Tour S-105 / May switch out to S400's in the future

Today's 3wood. Mind you it's a 12*

Was only using it 2 or 3 times a round max.  No confidence because I couldn’t get a 3 wood in the air from the fairway.  Had a 4 or 5 wood for awhile, not much better.  Just added a 7 wood with 21 deg.of loft.  I finally found what I needed.  Loft is my friend.  I de loft everything with a good amount of forward shaft lean.  As a result my ball flight is on the low side. I tend to swing from the inside out, wrap the club face around the ball and hit a draw.  I combined a high launching Stiff shaft to the 7 wood and am having my Eureka! moment.

Ping G410 LST 10.5

Tour Edge EX 10 - 16.5

Tour Edge XCG7 - 21

Titleist 818 H1 - 25

Titleist AP3 5-48

Vokey SM7 54 & 60 10S

Odyssey O Works Black #7 with Stability Shaft

Bridgestone Tour BRX

I have a couple of #3 woods (Ping and Wishon) that I swap out for my driver for a few tree lined courses that I play which can be tight at times. Don't play from tips anymore just from senior or white tees and other than long par 5's I can reach most par 4's greens in two with good shots even teeing off with 3 wood. 

• Like 1

I love my 3 wood off the tee, absolutely crush it. I refuse to use it out of the fairway, I worm burn the heck out of it every time but dammit i keep trying

• Like 1

Irons: Nike Vapor Pro Combo 3-PW, Steel, Stiff flex

Driver: Mizuno ST180, Regular Flex, usually play 9.5

Putter: Odyssey Stroke Lab Mallet

Right Handed

Fishers, Indiana

HDCP: 18

Once I learned not to try and crush it and just make a smooth swing with the 3 wood I love it. Today I duck hooked my driver about 75 yards off the tee. Took out the three wood and put the ball right up the throat leaving me a short chip onto the green. Occasionally use it off the tee if there is a sharp dog leg fairway. 

I will say there isn't a HUGE difference between my 3-hybrid and 3 wood. Maybe 10-15 yards so if one club had to go it would probably be the 3 wood as the hybrid is just more versatile. 

I use my 3 wood off the tee, off a conducive lie in the fairway and in light rough when the ball is sitting up a bit.  I got a TaylorMade M4 15* small head 3 wood late last year and put in a Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7s shaft in it (43").  I am learning how to use it during the past 8 rounds I've played this month.  It is becoming reliable and my comfort level is rising with it.  Looks like a keeper.  I have only really used 2 other 3 woods the past 19 years (Titleist PT15 - original version, and Titleist 906F2 15 degree).  Love the 3 wood off the tee and off the fairway.

Posted (edited)

I use my 3-wood more than my driver. Cobra F7 with an Aldila Rogue Black stiff driver shaft shortened to 3-wood shaft length.

Edited by ward

~ ward ~

Driver: Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 9 Degrees. Graphite Design XC6 S Flex 43.5" Length. Golf Pride CP2 MidSize Wrap.

3-Wood: Cobra F7 @ 16 Degrees / Aldila MSI 95 70g 3.3 Stiff. Golf Pride CP2 MidSize Wrap.

Hybrid: Cobra F7 @ 21.5 Degrees / Fujikura Pro 75H Stiff.

Irons: Srixon z785. Modus NS Pro 120 (Stiff). Golf Pride CP2 MidSize Wrap.

Wedges: Titleist Vokey - SM5 F Grind 50 degree (-1 degree) 12 Degrees of Bounce (-1 degree), SM5 S Grind 54 degree (-1 degree) 10 Degrees of Bounce, SM5 M Grind 58 degree 10 Degrees of Bounce. Golf Pride CP2 MidSize Wrap.

Putter: Taylormade Spider Tour III (Red) 34" Long.

Golf Ball: Srixon Z Star.

Bag: Sun Mountain C130.

I use mine primarily off the tee. I’ll pull it when my landing zone for the driver is too tight based on the Decade golf system. 

I took mine out for a cobra ltd 4w and consolidated the 3 and 5 wood. The ltd fairways are monsters, there's a reason cobra staffers are still bagging them even though they are like 5 release cycles old.

“He’s a Cinderella story. A former assistant groundskeeper about to become the Masters champion. It looks like a mirac… It’s in the hole! It’s in the hole! It’s in the hole!” — Carl Spackler

Maybe once or twice every 3 rounds. I have a new driving iron that i hit extremely consistently and gets me out about 15 yards shorter than my 3 wood, but eliminates the hooks. On the typical course I play, I can live with hitting one more club in to the green from the fairway, vs the rough. 

That's not to say I dont hit my 3 wood well, but when I really need to hit the fairway, the driving iron is just much easier

• Like 2

Right Handed

Ping G410 LST 9 degree X flex ping tour shaft 75G

Ping G410 3 wood 14.5  X flex Evenflow black 85G

Taylormade Gapr low 19 degree X flex KBS hybrid 80G

Titleist 714 AP2 4-9 iron +.5 length 1 degree upright S flex kbs tour 120G

Vokey SM6 46  +.5 length 1 degree upright Dynamic gold S 300

Vokey SM5 50, 54,  +.5 length 1 degree upright S flex kbs tour 120G

Vokey SM5 58  +.5 length 1 degree upright S high rev 125G

Scotty cameron newport 2.6 34 length

I hit my 3 wood probably 4-5 times per round. There are a couple short par 4's at my home course that I prefer not to use driver on. The issue I have is at least once per round I take a really terrible swing with the club. I am getting better with the club. My 3 wood is a Taylor Made HL, so it can be a little easier to hit out of light rough. 

I am currently considering upgrading my 3 wood and possibly swapping my 5 wood for a hybrid. Might give Sub 70 a look for the 3 wood. Does anyone have any other suggestions. My current driver is a Callaway Mavrik and I play Super Game Improvement Irons. 18 Handicap.

:callaway-small: Mavrik 9 Degree

:taylormade-small: Jet Speed 3 and 5 Wood

:cobra-small: Baffler XL 4-GW

:cleveland-small: CBX 52 Degree

:cleveland-small: Smart Sole S

:odyssey-small: White Hot #5