hckymeyer

2018 Official Forum Member Review - SuperSpeed Golf

I would like to send out a quick thank you to SuperSpeed Golf for sending us an email saying that they are sending us a kneeling pad to use as part of the test. Their customer service is out of this world.

Sent from my SM-G955U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 4

That's great progress so far mpatrickriley, I'm glad to see you're off to a good start. I think it's going to be an interesting read to see how you come along.

As far as the speeds we record goes, we are only showing in our weekly updates the fastest swings with each club for the week. I'm keeping track of every swing I take, as I'm sure everyone else is doing in this program. I think it's a great motivational tool that we can use to try to beat the previous week.

I have noticed that my speeds have dropped slightly this week, so far. I think it might have to do with the combination of the new drill and the cooler temperatures that have moved in. Bundling up is killing my already lackluster flexibility.

I've still got one more session to go to have my weekly numbers finalized. Between work, weather, and a sick wife this week has been rough on my training schedule. At least it's going to be sunny and 60 tomorrow.

Keep us posted on how you're doing, it's always great to have another voice to share their experiences.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, mpatrickriley said:

Guys, I hope you don't mind too much my crashing your thread. I think it makes for an interesting comparison, putting the real program against the homebrew version. Already, we've noted one of the bigger liabilities of the DIY approach: a lack of product support. I also think it will be useful to contrast the new protocol against that which is publicly available.

I'm still a few weeks behind you guys; I'm planning to do one more week of the "introductory" protocol, and then I'll move to Level One, the one that also incorporates the kneeling swings.

Here are my summarized numbers through Week 3:

image.png

I have gotten the impression at times that on the official protocol, you're mostly tracking your highest speed. My chart is the averages of just my right-handed, normal (no step-through) swings.

So far, I'm really pleased. Each week, my speeds have increased. As someone noted earlier in this thread, I have a bit of bunching at times between the sticks at different weights. For instance, this week my green and blue were the same. I think, in this case, it has to do with the fact that my first swings in a session aren't my best. By the time I get to the second set, I'm a little looser, and I'm also feeling a better sequence.

Anyway, I'm seeing steady progress so far in every category in every week. I anticipate that's it'll level off, and then I have to grit my teeth and push through more.

Yes, we are only tracking highest speed with each club.  There is no way I could record all my swings; too much time would be needed between swings.  I'm glad we only have 3 swings with each club; I can remember the highest speed for both right and left handed swings before I have to write them down.  

If your numbers are averages, then you are doing great!  If I had to record averages, my numbers would be way down.  I tend to have a couple of good speeds, but one swing will be way down and maybe I only get one good swing speed out of a set.  One day, all of the numbers for one club were lower than I would expect, but other clubs were normal.  Just shows my inconsistent swing.

• Like 3

Gonna have to add this to the Christmas list too!

You guys are knocking this out of the park!

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

• Like 3

Yes, we are only tracking highest speed with each club.  There is no way I could record all my swings; too much time would be needed between swings.  I'm glad we only have 3 swings with each club; I can remember the highest speed for both right and left handed swings before I have to write them down.  
If your numbers are averages, then you are doing great!  If I had to record averages, my numbers would be way down.  I tend to have a couple of good speeds, but one swing will be way down and maybe I only get one good swing speed out of a set.  One day, all of the numbers for one club were lower than I would expect, but other clubs were normal.  Just shows my inconsistent swing.
My procedure is to take three swings, saying each speed out loud (to help me remember them), and then tap them into my spreadsheet on my tablet after each set. I suspect it'll be a little more challenging to remember once I switch to doing five swings in a set.

The spreadsheet is still a work in progress (I'll need to add room for the kneeling swings, and I should make it track my max speed as well). But it's working for me so far: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Jj8xqtRl5EkctUEFx3fRjQynHWlotG5X1_EM6l0MphE/edit?usp=drivesdk
  • Like 2

I"m hoping the "High Priority" designation on the Amazon wishlist will get a set of these in the Christmas stocking as well.

Great job so far guys. Keeping an eye on the progress.

• Like 5

Since I’m so much younger than Kenny I can remember my fastest speed for two sets right and left. :)

My results in each series are pretty similar to Kenny’s. They tend to be inconsistent and there are a lot of misses by the radar. If I haven’t had a good reading and I know the miss was a good swing I will take a 4th swing with the dominant side swings - LH is whatever for me - just don’t hurt myself but stay aggressive kind of stuff.

I can’t wait to see the difference between the towels on the ground and the kneeling pad. Thanks for the Hanukkah gift Superspeed golf! It is greatly appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy
  • Like 2

Week seven has been a crazy one for me. It's been unseasonably cold and wet here in southeast Tennessee, I've been working lots of overtime, and my wife has been sick. My schedule for training has been altered because I've had to make runs into town on my way home to get food, so my training was on Sunday, Tuesday, and Saturday. I'll be doing Monday, Wednesday, and Friday next week.

It was a good week, I've noticed that my speeds were a little slower earlier in the week due to having to bundle up, and guys, I'm not very flexible to begin with. My kneeling swings are basically feeling like I'm just flailing water in order to stay afloat. My speeds were faster today as it was sixty degrees outside and that's perfect weather for a tee shirt and freedom.

I got an all time high with my lightest (yellow) club of 114 mph with the step change drill and tied a high of 108 with my medium (green).

I'm planning on hitting the range again to see if I can reach the five percent gain that eluded me after the initial six week period. I ended up buying a pass to the driving range for forty dollars and I'll get fifteen buckets at that price. That's a steal of a deal and I knew that with this test and still adjusting to my new irons, I couldn't pass it up.

20181117_135430.jpegrps20181117_135514.jpeg

• Like 6

I have this on my Christmas list. Wonder if my wife will get it for me

Same! Well, not your wife, but mine.

I'm wondering if they're gonna have any MGS promo or black Friday deal. I'd love to get up to or around 110.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 5

Week 7 has not gone as planned. The California wildfires have made the air borderline un-breathable. The air quality index this week reached "hazardous" levels in my area. Due to this, and also being plagued with Asthma, I was only able to complete one SuperSpeed training session. I reached out to SuperSpeed and asked how they wanted me to proceed. I wanted to know if I should use my 1 session as my entire Week 7, or put my training on hold until the air quality improved. Their advice was to hold off on the training and continue when I'm able. With this being said, I will not have an update for this week, and moving forward with the testing, I will be at least 1 week behind the rest of the group.

There is rain in the weather forecast this coming week, so I am hoping air quality will improve and I will be able to get back to training.

• Like 4

Ok guys, went to the driving range today to see if I could see an improvement over my week six results. After the first protocol I saw an increase of 1.6 percent in my initial swing speed, which was lower than my fellow testers.

Today I took 17 shots with my driver, recording each good one. I say that because I had a couple of outliers where I hit the ground before the ball, so I made sure not to include them in my statistics. I did have one of these hit 109 mph, but most of them were in the 84-86 range.

My final statistics were an average of 92 mph, with a high of 110 (good, solid contact) and a low of 84. Most of my drives were in the 91-92 mph range.

Now I'm sitting at an increase of 3.37 percent in overall swing speed. I'm still looking for the magical five percent increase, but at least I'm going in the right direction. Now if I could just remember how I hit that one....

It's back to the driving range next weekend to get more numbers. Maybe week eight will be the lucky number.

rps20181118_150919.jpeg

• Like 5

7 hours ago, sirchunksalot said:

Ok guys, went to the driving range today to see if I could see an improvement over my week six results. After the first protocol I saw an increase of 1.6 percent in my initial swing speed, which was lower than my fellow testers.

Today I took 17 shots with my driver, recording each good one. I say that because I had a couple of outliers where I hit the ground before the ball, so I made sure not to include them in my statistics. I did have one of these hit 109 mph, but most of them were in the 84-86 range.

My final statistics were an average of 92 mph, with a high of 110 (good, solid contact) and a low of 84. Most of my drives were in the 91-92 mph range.

Now I'm sitting at an increase of 3.37 percent in overall swing speed. I'm still looking for the magical five percent increase, but at least I'm going in the right direction. Now if I could just remember how I hit that one....

It's back to the driving range next weekend to get more numbers. Maybe week eight will be the lucky number.

rps20181118_150919.jpeg

Wow!  85-110mph seems like a lot of variation!!  

• Like 1

Wow!  85-110mph seems like a lot of variation!!  
I thought so, too. I can see the lower speed being feasible, as most of my speeds were just above it. It could be falling into old swing habits or just being tired. I do all my driver swings toward the end of my range sessions.

The 110 really seems like an anomaly, it's a speed that's usually reserved for my lightest speed stick. It may be a hiccup by the radar, as I've seen those during training. Sometimes it won't pick up a swing and it also shows a very slow speed. I've had to take a few extra swings during the training.

I put them in because they felt like they were hit solid. I did have one that registered 109, but I had hit the ground behind the ball and I felt it didn't need to be in the averages.

My Arccos handicap is now sitting at 27, so I'm not the most consistent golfer out there. I'm convinced that this test has helped in this regard, as I've been playing and practicing a lot more than ever. My wife's convinced that it's very important to the MGS community that I play a lot for the integrity of the test.

Here are the notes from the range session:
rps20181119_043748.jpeg

• Like 4

The radar may have tracked your ball instead of the club on the 110 outlier. Did it get turned a little forward instead of angled back for that one shot?

In any case you may as well tell everyone you hulked up for one shot and smashed it!

Sent from my SM-G930V using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 2

The radar may have tracked your ball instead of the club on the 110 outlier. Did it get turned a little forward instead of angled back for that one shot?

In any case you may as well tell everyone you hulked up for one shot and smashed it!

Sent from my SM-G930V using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I pretty much tried to keep it consistent putting the tee in about the same spot and not moving the radar. I'm going to go with me channeling my inner Hulk. .

• Like 2

I pretty much tried to keep it consistent putting the tee in about the same spot and not moving the radar. I'm going to go with me channeling my inner Hulk. .

Nah, you were channeling your inner Flash. At least for me, when I channel my inner Hulk, my speed deceases :-)
  • Like 4
  • Love 1

I talked a lot in prior posts about accuracy, if you've read them you know I hit it far before the SS sticks---but now am hitting it even further with increased accuracy. 

I was able to join a new course and get round one in yesterday. It's a tight course that only has 2 holes I could realistically play my driver. 

My 3-wood was 4/7 fairway with the 3 misses ALL being within 10 feet of the fairway and having good looks at the green. My two other shots were 'misses' that I didn't count for my tracking purposes--- the shot was gorgeous I just mis-read the alignment. 

I hit 3 drivers. Two as "second shots" after my 3-wood, both were long and straight. The one I did hit for real was a gorgeous, drawing, accurate bomb. Add up all of my woods and drivers and you  get 12 shots: 9 of them were either in the fairway or would have been in the fairway had the fairway been longer. 3 of them were barely in the rough. None went OB. None even went into the trees. Easily the best tee-day of my life, not even close. 

• Like 6

I was really dreading the Protocol today.  My back is sore; it's 31º and foggy outside, but today is my scheduled day to start week 2 of Protocol Level 2.

Sure enough! Speeds were down a little; about 2-3 mph across all clubs, including kneeling.  My left handed swing was down more than right handed swings.  Maybe because my back hurts on my left side.

Well, I got it done!  Tee time is in 45 minutes.  Better head to the course since I am all warm up now.

• Like 3

Tempo is certainly important for each individual player. However, each player does need to find the best tempo that will work for them to produce consistent results. We have found that by increasing the overall athleticism and efficiency of the golf swing, a player will fall into a much more consistent and repeatable tempo. This happens as a result of proper sequencing in the golf swing.

• Like 9