deejaid

Riding vs. Walking

Riding vs. Walking  

51 members have voted

1. 1. When allowed, do you prefer riding or walking the course?

• riding
    • walking

I usually ride, both because almost everyone I play with does.  I'm old enough now, I generally only walk (with a push cart) when the course is fairly open and I'm playing solo.

NOBODY I play with these days walks for more than 9 holes, and most of them don't play more than 9 at a time, regardless of whether they cart, or not.  I love to play with my friend that introduced me to golf a few years ago, but he NEVER plays more than 9 at a time now, but we do "walk together."  We played together twice this year and that's the only time my playing partners walked.

Unless I'm pressed for time, I try to play 18 when I play and I have to play the last half solo more every year, when I play with my "old crowd"... :(

One of the reasons I'm moving back to the local Country Club is the guys usually play a full 18, even though they all cart.

• Like 3

Another good thing about walking is that it's really the only way not to freeze when playing in cold weather.  Get in a cart when it's 38 degrees F with a nippy breeze, and riding in a cart is just not gonna work.

Unless you have a cart with an enclosure and heater, the only way to keep warm playing in our winters is to walk.  I stay much warmer walking than I do riding in an open cart.  You just learn to dress for it.  We play year round even when it gets below freezing.  

• Like 1

Another good thing about walking is that it's really the only way not to freeze when playing in cold weather.  Get in a cart when it's 38 degrees F with a nippy breeze, and riding in a cart is just not gonna work.

I have a sunflower heater and a cart cover.  I'll be warmer in the long run and play a lot of rounds in Sub 40 degree weather.  I"m in MN so if I didn't play then I'd cut out 2 months of my golf season

... I have yet to meet a group in carts that plays faster than me when I walk....  As soon as I can no longer walk and carry, I will find a new hobby...

Twosome playing 9 in 50 minutes.  Two guys and two carts.  I challenge any walker to beat that time.

• Like 1

There are certain times at the club when they allow you to walk, I think it's after 2 or 3 on the weekends, you are not allowed to walk during peak times on the weekends and holidays, during the week you can walk but again I think you can walk before 8, and after 2, but again during the peak hours of operation you are not allowed, if you decide to leave the cart and walk anyway, you won't make it to the first tee.

Interesting topic. In NJ it was 20 extra bucks for a cart. I never used a cart, unless I was playing with my dad and uncle. That was exactly twice. More often than not I can keep up with carts. Usually that requires teeing off first, getting set up and waiting parallel to the tee. The second the ball was off the club, I took off. If my ball was in the rough, I would basically not care about where the others golf balls were until I found mine. Around the greens I was fast. I've walked in tournaments before where almost everyone has a medical exception allowing them a cart. I've played 18 in a tournament setting with guys who rode the whole time. Makes for a tougher 18 holes, but makes me a tougher competitor.

Now I never walk. Carts are free and I can be about a half hour to full hour faster riding than walking. Plus it's 105 outside and walking is probably on the order of crazy. 

If I got to a place that charged for carts and was a home course, I'd be walking. Walking allows me to enjoy the course more and also give me a chance to relax you can't while you are in a cart. I can check texts, work on stuff and not have to worry about putting a cart in water.

Does this mean we are walking next Tuesday at Haggin Oaks/McKenzie?  I have my Sun Mountain push cart in my trunk.

You bet it does, though I'll be going Clicgear rather than on the back :)

I would say that at least half of the members at my club walk most of the time. I'd say there's 1/4 that mostly ride and 1/4 that always ride.

There are some killer hills but it's doable. It's a bonus when there's a cart in the group that can get you and/or your bag up a few of them.

I prefer walking. I'll prefer it more next year when I'm in better shape. It's also nice to not have to pay the $20 cart fee.

I have a sunflower heater and a cart cover.  I'll be warmer in the long run and play a lot of rounds in Sub 40 degree weather.  I"m in MN so if I didn't play then I'd cut out 2 months of my golf season

Twosome playing 9 in 50 minutes.  Two guys and two carts.  I challenge any walker to beat that time.

I do on a regular basis, as a solo walker if I don't have to wait. I generally expect to walk 9 in about 60-75 minutes, and 18 in about 145-190. At my home course, playing 18 means taking a long walk from 4 to 5 and then again from 13 to 14 that connects the 'old' 9 and the 'new' 9, and the new 9 is a LOT hillier, so it goes slower. I have run the cart paths on closed days a few times. That 'new' 9 has 3x the elevation change of the old 9. 

That said, it's great cross training, and I play significantly better when I walk. I find the walk between shots helps me relax and let bad shots go. In a cart, I dwell, and I drink ( I know, you are shocked ). 

I use the 95Ëš rule......if it's hotter than that I take a cart....otherwise....I'm walking :-))

95 degrees?  you got use to this weather real quick BK.  My threshold is 80ish

• Like 1

I've never seen an enclosed or heated cart at a public course where I am, but I guess you would have to in MN.

Bethpage Black still is a walking-only course, and push/pull carts in my opinion are more trouble than they're worth there due to the bunkering, slopes, and rough around the greens.  I played there Saturday, and 3 of us were carrying, and the fourth had a push cart that he wanted to abandon after the 6th hole.  It's a beast of a walk, and I won't play it if I have any back issues at all.  By the time I get to the 16th tee, I'm nearly spent, and that's when my back is feeling good.  But when I'm done, it's exhilarating (in spite of the score I've carded!), and I always look forward to doing it again.

Trump's new course in the Bronx is cart-path only I believe.  I've only played it once and walked it - not too bad a walk really.

Anyway, walkers are a minority, but I do feel walking adds to my enjoyment of the round and a feeling of accomplishment.

• Like 2

I walk two tracks regularly.

Recliner to refrigerator.

Recliner to bathroom.

Less frequently, I walk from recliner to where the replacement batteries for the remotes are. 

Doesn't leave enough in the tank to walk at the golf course.

• Like 4

I've never seen an enclosed or heated cart at a public course where I am, but I guess you would have to in MN.

Bethpage Black still is a walking-only course, and push/pull carts in my opinion are more trouble than they're worth there due to the bunkering, slopes, and rough around the greens.  I played there Saturday, and 3 of us were carrying, and the fourth had a push cart that he wanted to abandon after the 6th hole.  It's a beast of a walk, and I won't play it if I have any back issues at all.  By the time I get to the 16th tee, I'm nearly spent, and that's when my back is feeling good.  But when I'm done, it's exhilarating (in spite of the score I've carded!), and I always look forward to doing it again.

Trump's new course in the Bronx is cart-path only I believe.  I've only played it once and walked it - not too bad a walk really.

Anyway, walkers are a minority, but I do feel walking adds to my enjoyment of the round and a feeling of accomplishment.

I get the distinct feeling that I would really enjoy playing a round of golf with you.  ;)

I get the distinct feeling that I would really enjoy playing a round of golf with you.  ;)

Well, thank you.  If you're ever coming up here, send me a message and we can make it happen.

Unless you have a cart with an enclosure and heater, the only way to keep warm playing in our winters is to walk.  I stay much warmer walking than I do riding in an open cart.  You just learn to dress for it.  We play year round even when it gets below freezing.  

VERY little winter golf up here, even if the weather permits it.  We've got about 3 courses that will open between 11/15 until (maybe) 3/15.  I play them when they open, but it's almost more for bragging rights than anything else, at that point.

95 degrees?  you got use to this weather real quick BK.  My threshold is 80ish

Ha!  Actually I don't think I ever fully adapted to Wisconsin weather.  Too d@mn cold up there.

I play better when I walk. I´d say I walk 80% of my rounds. Summers here can be brutal so like some of the other guys said it´s temperature related. Anything above 33´c I´ll take a cart.  

I would kill to be able to walk 18 holes again.  I need both knees replaced thanks to running with boots, weapons and pack over the years and my back and hips aren't real flash either so its the cart for this black duck!

• Like 4

I have walked 99% of all rounds that I have ever played, and will continue to do so. I hate the required cart rule, and when I get to a course that has this rule, I either have my partner drive and I will walk with my clubs on the cart, or if I am playing solo, I will take the key from the shop, and then just walk anyway.  I have yet to meet a group in carts that plays faster than me when I walk....  As soon as I can no longer walk and carry, I will find a new hobby...

I hope I'm around to remind you of your last statement. :) Try coming to Florida in July, you'll appreciate carts more than you do currently. Having written that I'd way prefer to walk, riding allows me to continue to play golf year round. Carts are not they devil, they are a new technology to be used to make the game more enjoyable and that enable an architect to utilize a piece of propert differently.

Oh and trust me on this, I recall a day when everyone walked, they played slow then too. Lots of five plus hour rounds walking in this guys life for certain.

• Like 4

I would kill to be able to walk 18 holes again.  I need both knees replaced thanks to running with boots, weapons and pack over the years and my back and hips aren't real flash either so its the cart for this black duck!

Yeah, but you earned that right to cart!

• Like 2