deejaid

Riding vs. Walking

Riding vs. Walking  

49 members have voted

1. 1. When allowed, do you prefer riding or walking the course?

• riding
    • walking

I've noticed on all of the golf course website I visit to book a round, none give the option to walk. They all list the price with cart, but if you want a walking rate you actually have to call to get a tee time.

Don't people walk the courses anymore? I live on a course and as I watch groups go by, 90% of men ride, while probably 90% of the women walk.

I usually walk with a pull cart (need to upgrade to a push cart one of these days) as I feel I play much better when I walk. I can think about my next shot as I walk to my ball, not driving back and forth between my ball and my cart partners.

Are you guys walkers or riders?

• Like 3

I ride 99% of the time. If I'm playing alone (rarely) I like to walk. I use a pull cart when I do. It's rare that I walk because my home course is so crowded and most of the people playing are just very casual players that are just drinking and having a fun day. Walking when it's like that is a recipe for altercations with people, because they think you are slow because you are walking.

I walk everyday bag strapped to my back. I only use a cart when it is part of the deal. Like Twin Cities Golf events all include cart, or free passes where cart is included. or on the rare occasion my wife wants me home early so I need to speed around. This is my exercise for the week so walking is a big part.  

• Like 1

I'd love to walk, but many of our courses don't allow it, including my home course due to the distance between many holes.

I may change my membership at some point because of it. I'd love to walk.

• Like 2

Depends. Normally I walk most of my rounds, but this season, I've ridden what few rounds I've managed to play. Last year I played 92 rounds, and walked 70 of them.  This year to date, I've played 40 rounds and walked 12. It was fitness thing, but not in the way you think. I've been training for a big race this year, and an 8 mile walk wasn't on the training plan.

I frequently walked (more often than riding for sure) up until the time that I moved to Florida.  Frankly I'd either be dead (seriously) or would have to stop playing in the summer if I couldn't ride.  I still do walk some in the cooler seasons of the year particularly if I'm playing 9 holes or when I'm coaching my Middle School golf team (I always walk then).

Sadly there are any number of very good new courses that don't lend themselves to walking all that well mainly because of real estate developments.  My club has a very nice flow 1-8 but then there is a huge gap to get to 9.  13 is almost an island unto itself as are 9,18.  I don't ever see myself walking 18 there - I have walked 9 though.

I walk almost all the time. Exceptions are, during the hottest months of summer, When I play "away" courses, or if the course is layed out where walking is unfriendly. I enjoy walking because.... 1) I play better, and 2) it's decent exercise. I use my 10yo Sun Mountain push cart. I do agree that walking seems to be out of favor anymore. Even at my home club a guest fee includes a cart weather you want one or not. There is not discount if you walk. Cart rentals are a major source of income for golf courses. I don't know the numbers but carts are usually leased and by the time they are beat-up and shot new ones come in. I'd say about 1/2 of my normal Saturday group walks.

I usually walk one round a year and it's the first one when the course opens but doesn't allow carts yet.

I live on the course and have my own cart, so it's just too convenient to hop in the cart and drive up to the course.  All my stuff is in there already and if I a few (or more) adult beverages I can still just drive home.

Plus I'm lazy and would just rather ride.

• Like 3

I'm a walker, but as all of you have said, some venues just don't allow it.  I think that riding is encouraged because it has to be a money maker for the courses.  I know that some layouts and extreme heat make riding nearly true requirement, but carts must pay for themselves several times over in the course of a season.

I'd love to walk, but many of our courses don't allow it, including my home course due to the distance between many holes.

I may change my membership at some point because of it. I'd love to walk.

I frequently walked (more often than riding for sure) up until the time that I moved to Florida. Frankly I'd either be dead (seriously) or would have to stop playing in the summer if I couldn't ride. I still do walk some in the cooler seasons of the year particularly if I'm playing 9 holes or when I'm coaching my Middle School golf team (I always walk then).

Sadly there are any number of very good new courses that don't lend themselves to walking all that well mainly because of real estate developments. My club has a very nice flow 1-8 but then there is a huge gap to get to 9. 13 is almost an island unto itself as are 9,18. I don't ever see myself walking 18 there - I have walked 9 though.

This is one thing I can't stand. Putting the next tee box 200 yards down a path from the previous green.

I'm glad some of you also mentioned the money making aspect of charging for the cart. I hear so many time it said that carts speed up the pace of play when from my experience, it's exactly the opposite. When people walk directly to their own ball and play "ready golf" rounds are played just as quickly, if not quicker than forcing everyone to use carts.

• Like 4

I actually walked a few times this year for the first time since high school!  New baby and the wife wanted to spend time with me...so I bought a carry bag and we would go walk 9-holes once a week...problem solved!

If Im playing 9 holes I'll walk but not if Im playing 18.  I work 50-60 hours a week in a factory, so Im on my feet 9-10 hours a day.  Between that and my normal workout routines (running and weight training), I figure that I get enough exercise.

• Like 3

Another good thing about walking is that it's really the only way not to freeze when playing in cold weather.  Get in a cart when it's 38 degrees F with a nippy breeze, and riding in a cart is just not gonna work.

• Like 2

I have walked 99% of all rounds that I have ever played, and will continue to do so. I hate the required cart rule, and when I get to a course that has this rule, I either have my partner drive and I will walk with my clubs on the cart, or if I am playing solo, I will take the key from the shop, and then just walk anyway.  I have yet to meet a group in carts that plays faster than me when I walk....  As soon as I can no longer walk and carry, I will find a new hobby...

• Like 2

I'd rather walk and more so for health reasons but nobody I play with walks so unless I go myself than I ride. Yes I could walk anyways but I generally just play with my bro and he doesn't have a push cart like me so I get in with him.

Walk and if my back allowed I'd carry.

Done 36 in one day on 5 occasions this year in comes and it is tough on the feet - but my waste line approves!

But we don't really get the temperatures or humidity you'd see in much of the states.

or if I am playing solo, I will take the key from the shop, and then just walk anyway. 

You are my new hero :D

Hate to ride btw. Beer is not that heavy and my bag has a big pocket...

• Like 3

I figure if I Paid the cart fee, I should be allowed to use it how I see fit...  (Leave it in the parking lot)

I would love to be able to walk more especially on my practice rounds. This year I have had ankle problems again and can't walk and play. Even with my ankle braces on my ankles swell up like balloons even riding. My home course we are able to walk and like others have mentioned a lot of the courses here are set up around housing developments and they will not let you walk. I am still riding my tricycle for exercise around the park I live in and I work around the yard at work.I actually had to turn down a trip to Harbour Town because I did not think I could walk all 18 even with a caddy.

Does this mean we are walking next Tuesday at Haggin Oaks/McKenzie?  I have my Sun Mountain push cart in my trunk.

• Like 1