deejaid

Riding vs. Walking

Riding vs. Walking  

50 members have voted

1. 1. When allowed, do you prefer riding or walking the course?

• riding
    • walking

I hope I'm around to remind you of your last statement. :) Try coming to Florida in July, you'll appreciate carts more than you do currently. Having written that I'd way prefer to walk, riding allows me to continue to play golf year round. Carts are not they devil, they are a new technology to be used to make the game more enjoyable and that enable an architect to utilize a piece of propert differently.

Oh and trust me on this, I recall a day when everyone walked, they played slow then too. Lots of five plus hour rounds walking in this guys life for certain.

I completely understand why people ride. I have no issues with carts, or people that ride. I prefer to walk. I will always prefer to walk. I always play better when I walk, and worse when I ride. Carts are fine. just not for me...

• Like 1

Yeah, but you earned that right to cart!

Thanks for that mate, comments like that warm my heart.  I think we all could use a little heart warming now and then :)

• Like 2

I like to walk and do about 90 percent of the time. I need the exercise and I like to try and get a mental and visual idea ofthe next shot as I walk toward the ball.

I am approaching 65 years old so my plan is to use my legs as long as they still work. I do find some fatigue issues on the last couple of holes if the course is very hilly.

A guy at my club is 82 or 83 and walks every round. And carries his bag. He does grab the occasional ride up one of the big hills. Temperature and humidity are not a factor. On days that I ride because it's "too hot" or "too humid" I see him walking and lose all respect for myself.

A guy at my club is 82 or 83 and walks every round. And carries his bag. He does grab the occasional ride up one of the big hills. Temperature and humidity are not a factor. On days that I ride because it's "too hot" or "too humid" I see him walking and lose all respect for myself.

Played with a guy like that once. 

I said previously at our tournamnts there is a form for a medical exception so you don't have to walk. I've never seen so many injured golfers in my life. I'd say 3/4 are legit, such as surgeries arthritus and the like, but man some of the guys could easily walk. During match play Saturday which is 18 holes match play followed by 18 more if you beat your opponent, I was one of the only ones to walk. May have been the only one. That day I walked 44 holes in a tournament against all cart players. Funny part was afterwards the guy running it offered me a ride, then stopped mid sentence and said, "no wait you always walk and laughed."

If you know a member at my course they can call and give you one of their complimentary rounds and then you can walk for free or pay $20 for a cart so I just walk, also a good way to stay in tournament shape. The only times I ride are during rounds with my grandfather and when it's just too hot, Texas will do that to you.

I got out and played as a walking single at the Napa Muni yesterday. Teed off at 2 and was done by 4:30. Saw one other group of two walking. Gave them a little head nod as we passed on adjacent fairways.

I've also decided to ditch my pull cart and carry which I haven't done for close to 15 years. Feeling it a little more today :)

I've been lazy recently riding in a cart. My right hip/groin has been a little sore the past few weeks. I've been working too much recently and sitting in a damn chair at the computer. That kind of lifestyle is a killer in more ways than one. At any age. I told the guys in my Saturday game the other day I'd be walking again this next weekend. The weather has been fantastic.

• Like 1

Yes when conditions are right as many have mentioned already. Walking allows for time between shots too cool off plus all of your clubs are with you. Are many times when riding do we end up with the wrong club even when we grabbed 2 or 3 from the cart but when we get to the ball we find that something else might work better? I hated when that happens.

I'm a weekday afternoon player because I have to walk my dog every morning.

I'm sixty-nine, and one good walk each day is enough.

Without carts, I'm not sure that I could play except for the little pitch and putt course.

I always walked the course in younger days, however.  It's probably the better way to play.

• Like 1

About 6 months ago, I was diagnosed with overstretched tendons around my left ankle.  In order to golf and walk, I must wear a very extensive ankle brace.  So walking 9 on the golf course is no longer a viable option.  However, I have visions of me in my 30's, carrying a sunday bag walking the country club in Winnfield LA.  I really enjoyed walking that course.  Other than that, the weather in FL is mostly too hot to walk.  So why did they build two courses in Central FL (Streamsong) that are designed to be walk only?

Foz, because that is the trend for the new courses these days. Streamsong is not walk only; they have carts available at certain times of the day but you have to have a forecaddie.  Bandon Dunes and  Chambers Bay are the same but no carts except for handicapped players.  It's their way to ensure that you experience the way golf was meant to be played, by walking.  Oh and they want you to have caddies that cost you $50/bag +tip.

• Like 2

Foz, because that is the trend for the new courses these days. Streamsong is not walk only; they have carts available at certain times of the day but you have to have a forecaddie.  Bandon Dunes and  Chambers Bay are the same but no carts except for handicapped players.  It's their way to ensure that you experience the way golf was meant to be played, by walking.  Oh and they want you to have caddies that cost you $50/bag +tip.

Up here, both Cabot courses are like that. A great concept, if we all shared the ability to walk, but to exclude those with physical limitations, is hardly equitable. The experience can be shared, and you can smell the roses, just as well from the comfort of a cart seat.

If you need a cart to play Bandon Dunes courses, you must bring a Doctor's note with you.

I've been lazy recently riding in a cart. My right hip/groin has been a little sore the past few weeks. I've been working too much recently and sitting in a damn chair at the computer. That kind of lifestyle is a killer in more ways than one. At any age. I told the guys in my Saturday game the other day I'd be walking again this next weekend. The weather has been fantastic.

Once I started working full-time as a television editor is when I stop playing golf. And yes, it was long days sitting in front of computer monitors. A quit that job last year to be a full-time dad to my 3 girls and between them and walking the course, I am getting much more exercise.

I typically walk whenever I play u less the cart is included in the green fee. I use a 3 wheeled push cart.

Next time I go to Bandon I'm bringing a fake doctors note of some kind. I walked 3 courses when I was there including the par 3 which had just opened. You'd better be in good shape to walk several days there. The ground is hard as can be and hard on your feet. I wore two different pair of golf shoes both with flat soles. No spikes. I blame it on Bandon (which is an awesome place) for me getting plantar fasciitis in my right foot. LOL

Also next time I go I'm taking Kenny with me so I can get that $50 deal on a caddy. My caddy was $100 !!  including a tip. Ouch.

Next time I go to Bandon I'm bringing a fake doctors note of some kind. I walked 3 courses when I was there including the par 3 which had just opened. You'd better be in good shape to walk several days there. The ground is hard as can be and hard on your feet. I wore two different pair of golf shoes both with flat soles. No spikes. I blame it on Bandon (which is an awesome place) for me getting plantar fasciitis in my right foot. LOL

Also next time I go I'm taking Kenny with me so I can get that $50 deal on a caddy. My caddy was $100 !!  including a tip. Ouch.

PJ, I was being generic on the caddie fee across all courses.  I think I paid $100 to my caddie including tip at Bandon, and that was back in 2010.  Now for me, I have to double that because my wife had her caddy too at $100.  Ouch indeed!!

Yeah Kenny. Our caddies double bagged which was fine. But with tip we still paid $100 each! Bandon was a great experience I thought. I'd probably go back some day but I still have quite a few other places to get checked off my list. We're thinking of going to Kohler this next September. If we do we're going to slip over to Erin Hills also. Kohler's a pricey proposition as well. I've still never played around the Monterey area or down around San Diego. So many courses and so little time. 

Sometimes the frugal side of me says to skip some of these expensive venues. Like you I've played many great courses that were pretty pricey. Afterwards, sometimes I think, "that's it?". I played many other non-famous but noted courses and thought they were great and perhaps just as good if not better in some ways. Since I'm kind of Jacking the thread I'll add.... when I travel I usually don't walk. Bandon aside.