LoganT

New golf ball suggestions

Looking for a reasonably priced urethane covered golf ball. I’m sure someone on here will have a good suggestion.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 3

Consumer direct is likely your best bet.

I play the OnCore elixir and I’m pleased. $25/dozen works for me.

The Snell MTB series are very popular around here and would say you’ll get a lot of positive feedback from that ball.

As a starting point, search the MGS ball testing results from a few weeks back. That will be the best resource to help make a decision.

Good luck!

• Like 4

I've been pleased with the Snell MTB Black ... looking forward to trying out the MTB-X when I exhaust my supply of current balls.

• Like 4

Consumer direct is likely your best bet.

I play the OnCore elixir and I’m pleased. $25/dozen works for me.

The Snell MTB series are very popular around here and would say you’ll get a lot of positive feedback from that ball.

As a starting point, search the MGS ball testing results from a few weeks back. That will be the best resource to help make a decision.

Good luck!

Definitely check the ball test; it’ll help you zero in on a couple to try.

• Like 2

I'm really loving the Srixon Z-Star. Might be just a tad over your budget at $40 a dozen or less, but they go on sale a lot (just came off a buy one get one free sale) and really perform for me as good or better than a Titleist ProV. Definitely worth checking out in my opinion.

• Like 3

My favorites at the moment are the OnCore Elixr and the Srixon Q-Star Tour.  Both offer great performance and durability for an affordable price.  

• Like 1

dude

Don't go too cheap with the DTC balls unless its SNELL.....otherwise, stick to the balls that have been proven legit and perform. Prov1 /x, Srixion and Bridgestone BX/BXS.

• Like 1

I recently tried the Srixon Q-Star Tour and liked it quite a bit.  Make sure you get the Q Star Tour which is a 3-piece urethane cover ball.  Retail is usually $30/dz.  As of today (7/8/19) GolfBalls.com still has Buy 3 Get One Free on Srixon.  Even with shipping that comes to about $24/dz.

• Like 2

Vice Pro for me. Based on the video recently posted on social media by MGS, the Rife E-Motion is the same ball and can be had for $10/dozen on rockbottomgolf.com. 

https://www.rockbottomgolf.com/balls/new-golf-balls/rife-e-motion-golf-balls/

I'd suggest buying as many as you can because I don't believe Rife is in the business of trying to sell golf balls anymore.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, TR1PTIK said:

Vice Pro for me. Based on the video recently posted on social media by MGS, the Rife E-Motion is the same ball and can be had for $10/dozen on rockbottomgolf.com. 

https://www.rockbottomgolf.com/balls/new-golf-balls/rife-e-motion-golf-balls/

I'd suggest buying as many as you can because I don't believe Rife is in the business of trying to sell golf balls anymore.

The Rife V Motion was my favorite ball a few years ago. I miss those. Never tried the E motion. 

• Like 1

On 6/22/2019 at 5:57 PM, 00sportsman said:

Just played one of these in a scramble. Surprisingly good performance. I don't know how you'd do better for 20 bucks a dozen.

Sent from my XT1585 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Would you say it outperformed a PRoV1 as stated on their website?

• Like 1

On 7/8/2019 at 2:17 PM, TwoCoatsOfWax said:

I recently tried the Srixon Q-Star Tour and liked it quite a bit.  Make sure you get the Q Star Tour which is a 3-piece urethane cover ball.  Retail is usually $30/dz.  As of today (7/8/19) GolfBalls.com still has Buy 3 Get One Free on Srixon.  Even with shipping that comes to about $24/dz.

I'm in the same boat as OP and don't think my game requires the top-of-the-line ball yet...nor does my wallet with the amount I shank into the woods. Might try out the Q-Star Tour with the deal you mentioned. Thanks for letting us know it's still valid!

• Like 1

I have been using the Kirkland signature since the original Mygolfspy review in 2016.  I was fortunate enough to buy 8 dozen over several purchases and gave away a dozen or so, but now I am down to my final sleeve and trying to identify a replacement.  I don't know the specifications for that ball - specifically compression and shot dispersion, but know I liked it.  In fact, it was second only in performance to the original MTB tour ball that I used prior to making the switch.

Using the ball test I focused on shot dispersion and then distance.  7-iron shot dispersion, with good distance, would help me the most.  When I used the Tableau tables it would appear that the Z Star and the TP5 might be the best for me, at least with the 7-iron.  With the driver it would appear to be the Inesis and the TP5.  I am concerned about the driver shot area of the MTB X, which was the largest of the balls I selected.  Surprised by this - it was 8994 square yards for the combined driver speeds.  Any real world comparisons for the TP5, which can be had for 2/$80 for the Pix version, and the Z Star, which has a buy 3 get 1 dozen free on their website - net cost of $30/box?

• Like 1

I'm in the same boat as OP and don't think my game requires the top-of-the-line ball yet...nor does my wallet with the amount I shank into the woods. Might try out the Q-Star Tour with the deal you mentioned. Thanks for letting us know it's still valid!

I’m a big fan of the Q Star Tour as well. I broke it out for the first time this season yesterday (I use less expensive 2 piece balls while I’m shaking off winter rust) and it performed like a champ. Decent stopping power and great feel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

REVELATION - Found the golf ball testing charts 2 months ago.  "Was" 18 handicap, today I'm a 16 and improving.  No other new equipment, no lessons, playing the same 1-2 times a week.  Had been playing various "good-soft" balls, like the Qstar tour soft, Titleist nxt tour because they "felt good".  Gave a gift box of V1X to a long-driving friend because they felt too hard unless I hit them dead center.  The strongest part of my game is close wedge/chipping and have a problem with spraying/short drives.  Switched to V1X and didn't tell my playing partners.  They didn't notice until late in my first round, but from the beginning were commenting "Mike, good drive", "Mike, that wedge stopped great!".  I'd played a practice round by myself and found I could shoot right at the hole, so no more rolling up to the hole.

As I already mentioned, my handicap is improving and it seems solely because of the ball.  It was very interesting to me that the "soft balls" as a class, with a partial exemption for the Chrome Soft, had the worst distance, dispersion and spin.

Thank you, MyGolfSpy!!!

• Like 2