GolfSpy Stroker

2020 Official Member Review: Ben Hogan Icon & PTX Pro/Icon Combo Irons

Our Sponsors

On 7/16/2020 at 3:59 PM, deejaid said:

Fantastic Video mate, really natural and very entertaining!!

Do you think you will be able to just ignore the number on the bottom of the club and just hit the loft you need? Also do you feel that it will take a change in mindset for you to truly accept these clubs?

• Like 2

In my :cobra-small: Ultralight Stand Bag:

Driver:    :cobra-small: King F9 9° - LH - Atmos Blue TS 6 Stiff
Woods:   :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 3/4 Wood - Atmos Blue 7 Reg
               :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 3 Hybrid - Atmos Blue 7 Reg
Irons:      :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 4-PW - True Temper XP95 Reg
Wedges: :cobra-small: King Black - LH - 52° 56° 60° -True Temper XP95 Reg
Putter:    :rife-putters-1: Two Bar Hybrid
Ball:        :titelist-small: Pro V1

Tracked By: :Arccos:

Follow me on Twitter @ham12_hampton and on Instagram @Nunfa0 for the #cobraconnectchallenge3

First range day today and I was really pleased.  Anyone who is familiar with the Nippon Modus thread knew that I really really really loved that shaft and how well it has worked for me this season.  Moving back to the KBS Tour-V was an adjustment and honestly, I may end up putting these KBS Tours in an older set of i5's and putting Nippons in my Hogans.  So as you can assume, that would mean I really like these heads.

Here are my takeaways from today.

The PTx head is a forgiving and kind head.  This is exactly the kind of club that I need for my game when I have my meh type of swings.  The ball doesn't balloon and maintains a nice penetrating flight.  Feel is good and as others have posted, the sound is a solid thwack.  

Speaking of balloon, the UiHi...well guess what, it doesn't.  The predecessor to this club the Ft. Worth HI was the EASIEST long iron to play that I have ever swung.  It went up and flew straight but for some golfers, almost too high.  Take the UiHi, add that same easiness to get the ball airborne but add a slightly lower ball flight.  If you were in the market for a head that didn't launch your ball into the stratosphere, this is something worth looking at.  Hogan just added an 18* and 26* to their line to complement the 22*...

More to come...

• Like 9

• PING G400 LST 8.5 Evenflow Black 65g 6.5
  • PING G 3W HZRDUS Yellow 75g 6.0
  • Mizuno HMB MP20 3i Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • Ben Hogan Player's Combo 4-P KBS Tour
  • Maltby TSW 52, 58 Nippon Modus Wedge
  • Bettinardi BB8 Wide 2020
  • Oncore Elixr

Rochester, NY

5.6 Index

Got this email today.

Maybe they are????

Thats what this review is all about......

Stay tuned. 

0A8C529D-D231-44FB-BE58-47BF3BB41EF7.png

• Like 4

:ping-small: G 400 driver with Aldila DVS 55-SR shaft (FAIRWAY FINDING MONSTER)

:taylormade-small: Aero Burner 16 degree mini driver regular flex

:callaway-logo-1: Rogue Heavenwood regular flex shaft

:cleveland-small: Launcher HB irons 4-6 regular flex

:mizuno-small: JPX 850 7 iron thru Gap Wedge with KBS C taper lite shaft

:mizuno-small: S 5 wedges. 56/16 and 60/06.

:callaway-small:Odyssey Two Ball Triple Track Putter, 32 inches  

Right Handed. 

Well I went to the range this morning and again it was toe side city. Couldn’t hit the center of the face if my life depended on it. Very frustrating.

Today was the Cobra demo day at my club so after a bit of frustration with the Hogan’s I went to the Cobra tent and was talking with the rep. He asked me what I was playing and I explained to him I was testing the new Hogan’s but I wasn’t really getting on with the shaft. I told him it was my first time playing graphite and I didn’t think the Recoils at 87 grams were working for me. He then proceeded to put a KBS $ 120 shaft in a Cobra Forged Tec 7-iron for me and I was just smoking it. Back to my regular tempo and I had no problems. 170 yards and right at the target.

I was a bit discouraged to say the least. I did have the rep hit my Louisville Smart driver I refinished with a Fujikura shaft and he seemed to really enjoy it.

Anyway, decided even with the discouraging range session I’d still go out for an evening 9. First hole is a 460 yard uphill Par 5 and after a perfect tee shot I had exactly 200 yards to go. I hit the UIHI 4-iron perfect and ended up on the front edge of the green, two putting for birdie. OK, nice start.

2nd hole is a 230 yard carry of a creek so playing persimmon I decided to lay up. It’s 219 to the creek but the tee box is elevated so I hit the PTx Pro 6-iron. I hit it perfect and ended up about 10 yards from the creek. Great! Another perfect shot with Hogan’s. Maybe things will be better than this morning. Well, that’s when it began to fall apart.

I only had 150 yards to the green so I pulled the 8-iron and proceeded to hit it off the toe and it ended up pin high but missed the green to the right. A perfect flop over the bunker and I saved par.

#3, Par 5. Same thing. Good drive, UIHI 4-iron that I hit toe side but still got about 200 yards out of it leaving 125 yards to the pin. PW this time but again, toe strike leaving me missing the green to the right. Once again though a perfect chip, this time to within 3 inches and I saved par.

I should mention, these wedge shots were with another new club, a Tour Edge Rally wedge which is a Callaway PM Grind style wedge. This is the first round with this wedge and it really saved me today. Great wedge.

So here I was at -1 after 3 holes and it felt like the least satisfying three holes I’ve played in a long time.

#4, missed GIR, bogey.

#5 Par 3 170 into the wind and actually hit a green, though a bit short. Good lag and a Par.

#6 Long drive but ended up in a fairway bunker. After hitting everything toe side I aimed further left and clubbed up and of course ended up in a green side bunker on the left, ended up bogeying.

#7 short Par 3 of 133 yards. Again, PW toe side ended up missing the green 15 yards right. Again I had to flop it over a bunker and again rolled it right next to the cup for a par save.

#8 Par 4 perfect drive but again 7-iron to right. This time I wasn’t so lucky as I was under some trees. Had no shot to the green so a punch out chip on and 2-putt for my first double bogey of the round.

#9 Par 4, probably my best drive of the day, dead straight carrying the fairway bunker that sticks out from the left hand side. Again, 8-iron misses right, ends up in bunker. Now the Tour Edge Rally wedge didn’t save me as the bunker shot went long and I scrambled for bogey.

So I ended up with a +4 40 for 9 with one of the worst iron days I’ve had in a long time. Again, the Hogan’s are the same length and lie as my Pedersen’s and I hit the Cobra Forged Tec 7-iron with the KBS $ 120 shaft perfect at the range. The variable to me seems to be the Recoil graphite shaft. I mentioned before the testing started that I was concerned about going from a 127g shaft to an 87g shaft with a more active tip section. I’m thinking a shaft swap might be in order.

On the other hand, that Tour Edge Rally wedge is money. It saved my hide today on so many holes. And the Cobra rep and another guy at the range loved my persimmons and both said they’d like to send some clubs my way for a refinish, so I got that going for me, which is nice.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 7

WITB:

Louisville Smart Persimmon Driver

Louisville Niblick Persimmon 3 & 5 woods

Hogan UIHI 4-iron*

Hogan PTx Pro 5-7*

Hogan Icon 8-PW*

KZG 51 gap wedge

KZG 56 sand wedge

Rife Legend Z Putter

*denotes clubs being tested

You guys are killing me here - nice job with the reviews thus far

The idea of gamier short irons while keeping the forgiveness in the middle is extremely intriguing to me.

Keep up the good work

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 2

Ping G410 - set at 12 degrees, fade setting - Fujikura Motore X R flex

Ping G410 5-9 wood

G30 6-PW -  Aerotech FT 500 shafts

SCOR 48,52,56,60

EVNRoll ER 5

Titleist Pro VIx optic yellow with revkev stamped on them

7 hours ago, deejaid said:

Well I went to the range this morning and again it was toe side city. Couldn’t hit the center of the face if my life depended on it. Very frustrating.

Today was the Cobra demo day at my club so after a bit of frustration with the Hogan’s I went to the Cobra tent and was talking with the rep. He asked me what I was playing and I explained to him I was testing the new Hogan’s but I wasn’t really getting on with the shaft. I told him it was my first time playing graphite and I didn’t think the Recoils at 87 grams were working for me. He then proceeded to put a KBS $ 120 shaft in a Cobra Forged Tec 7-iron for me and I was just smoking it. Back to my regular tempo and I had no problems. 170 yards and right at the target.

I was a bit discouraged to say the least. I did have the rep hit my Louisville Smart driver I refinished with a Fujikura shaft and he seemed to really enjoy it. emoji16.png

Anyway, decided even with the discouraging range session I’d still go out for an evening 9. First hole is a 460 yard uphill Par 5 and after a perfect tee shot I had exactly 200 yards to go. I hit the UIHI 4-iron perfect and ended up on the front edge of the green, two putting for birdie. OK, nice start.

2nd hole is a 230 yard carry of a creek so playing persimmon I decided to lay up. It’s 219 to the creek but the tee box is elevated so I hit the PTx Pro 6-iron. I hit it perfect and ended up about 10 yards from the creek. Great! Another perfect shot with Hogan’s. Maybe things will be better than this morning. Well, that’s when it began to fall apart.

I only had 150 yards to the green so I pulled the 8-iron and proceeded to hit it off the toe and it ended up pin high but missed the green to the right. A perfect flop over the bunker and I saved par.

#3, Par 5. Same thing. Good drive, UIHI 4-iron that I hit toe side but still got about 200 yards out of it leaving 125 yards to the pin. PW this time but again, toe strike leaving me missing the green to the right. Once again though a perfect chip, this time to within 3 inches and I saved par.

I should mention, these wedge shots were with another new club, a Tour Edge Rally wedge which is a Callaway PM Grind style wedge. This is the first round with this wedge and it really saved me today. Great wedge.

So here I was at -1 after 3 holes and it felt like the least satisfying three holes I’ve played in a long time.

#4, missed GIR, bogey.

#5 Par 3 170 into the wind and actually hit a green, though a bit short. Good lag and a Par.

#6 Long drive but ended up in a fairway bunker. After hitting everything toe side I aimed further left and clubbed up and of course ended up in a green side bunker on the left, ended up bogeying.

#7 short Par 3 of 133 yards. Again, PW toe side ended up missing the green 15 yards right. Again I had to flop it over a bunker and again rolled it right next to the cup for a par save.

#8 Par 4 perfect drive but again 7-iron to right. This time I wasn’t so lucky as I was under some trees. Had no shot to the green so a punch out chip on and 2-putt for my first double bogey of the round.

#9 Par 4, probably my best drive of the day, dead straight carrying the fairway bunker that sticks out from the left hand side. Again, 8-iron misses right, ends up in bunker. Now the Tour Edge Rally wedge didn’t save me as the bunker shot went long and I scrambled for bogey.

So I ended up with a +4 40 for 9 with one of the worst iron days I’ve had in a long time. Again, the Hogan’s are the same length and lie as my Pedersen’s and I hit the Cobra Forged Tec 7-iron with the KBS $ 120 shaft perfect at the range. The variable to me seems to be the Recoil graphite shaft. I mentioned before the testing started that I was concerned about going from a 127g shaft to an 87g shaft with a more active tip section. I’m thinking a shaft swap might be in order.

On the other hand, that Tour Edge Rally wedge is money. It saved my hide today on so many holes. And the Cobra rep and another guy at the range loved my persimmons and both said they’d like to send some clubs my way for a refinish, so I got that going for me, which is nice. emoji16.png

This is going to be my only criticism thus far.  I am not convinced that DTC should or could be limited in shaft offerings as a matter of cost.  These irons are SO GOOD that it's worth asking why limit themselves to four shafts including just one graphite offering. 

• Like 8

• Oncore Elixr

Rochester, NY

5.6 Index

7 hours ago, deejaid said:

I was a bit discouraged to say the least. I did have the rep hit my Louisville Smart driver I refinished with a Fujikura shaft and he seemed to really enjoy it. emoji16.png

#4, missed GIR, bogey.

On the other hand, that Tour Edge Rally wedge is money. It saved my hide today on so many holes. And the Cobra rep and another guy at the range loved my persimmons and both said they’d like to send some clubs my way for a refinish, so I got that going for me, which is nice. emoji16.png

Are you contemplating possibly swapping shafts at some point? Are the heads themself kosher for you just the shaft is throwing you out of rhythm?

• Like 1

Check out my reviews

:ping-small: G710 Irons Lacassem official review

:taylormade-small: FlexTech is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos::

:titelist-small: TS2 9.5 - Project X HZRDUS Smoke

:taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green 

:adams-small: 2H VST - Super Idea S Matrix Kujoh S-Flex

:taylormade-small: 2019 P790 4-PW - Project X 6.5 LZ 

:titelist-small: 52, 56, 60 SM7 - Nippon Modus 125

:odyssey-small: O-Works 1W

:titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Bushnell Tour V3 Jolt

🇺🇸Thank you to all those that have served/are serving and God Bless America 🇺🇸

Are you contemplating possibly swapping shafts at some point? Are the heads themself kosher for you just the shaft is throwing you out of rhythm?

Yes, I am very much thinking of swapping out the shafts. After 6 range sessions and one 9 hole round hitting the ball consistently a 1/4-1/2” inch towards the toe with the face staying open I can honestly say these shafts just don’t work for me.

I said in one of my earliest post before the clubs were even delivered that if I was ordering the clubs for my current game strictly based on performance, I would have ordered the KBS Tour V. But, because of some recent elbow pain I wanted to approach the review as a guy that has played steel for 35 years and is now looking at his first set of graphite shafted irons. It just hasn’t worked.

Now the heads I think are very nice. The Icons have a nice shape and the sole width is perfect with the v-sole. The PTx Pro feel solid, not like hollow head, and again, good size and shape. The UIHI I am not loving though. If I had it to do again I would order the regular PTx Pro 4-iron. I think the PTx Pro heads are forgiving enough that the UIHI isn’t really necessary. In fact, I feel like the PTx Pro 5 and 6 are easier to hit higher than the UIHI.

• Like 6

WITB:

Hogan UIHI 4-iron*

Hogan PTx Pro 5-7*

Hogan Icon 8-PW*

KZG 51 gap wedge

KZG 56 sand wedge

Rife Legend Z Putter

This is going to be my only criticism thus far.  I am not convinced that DTC should or could be limited in shaft offerings as a matter of cost.  These irons are SO GOOD that it's worth asking why limit themselves to four shafts including just one graphite offering. 

I agree completely. Under normal circumstances it usually takes them two weeks to fulfill an order. Well, way can’t they have accounts with multiple shaft makers? I mean Hogan doesn’t even need to keep the stock on hand. An order comes in requesting a shaft that is not in stock, Hogan orders the shaft direct from the manufacturer, and they have it within a week with still time to build the clubs in the two week window.

The fact that we both are contemplating swapping out shafts out of a group of 6 testers says to me that the shaft offerings are too limited.

• Like 8

WITB:

Hogan UIHI 4-iron*

Hogan PTx Pro 5-7*

Hogan Icon 8-PW*

KZG 51 gap wedge

KZG 56 sand wedge

Rife Legend Z Putter

2 minutes ago, deejaid said:

I agree completely. Under normal circumstances it usually takes them two weeks to fulfill an order. Well, way can’t they have accounts with multiple shaft makers? I mean Hogan doesn’t even need to keep the stock on hand. An order comes in requesting a shaft that is not in stock, Hogan orders the shaft direct from the manufacturer, and they have it within a week with still time to build the clubs in the two week window.

The fact that we both are contemplating swapping out shafts out of a group of 6 testers says to me that the shaft offerings are too limited.

As they expand, it’s inevitable that they’ll have to look at how their offerings reflect the market they’re trying to attract. Twenty years ago I would have said four iron shafts as a stock option would be cutting edge. Today, not so much.

I honestly believe they’re at a tipping point in their business. If they choose to offer more products and expand on a 2-3 year product cycle, they’ll inevitably have to raise their prices and stray away from the luxury of being a low cost DTC product.  It’s just too difficult to maintain a small operation, meet the consumer demands and maintain a profit margin without expanding. 

• Like 5

• Oncore Elixr

Rochester, NY

5.6 Index

11 hours ago, deejaid said:

. The variable to me seems to be the Recoil graphite shaft. I mentioned before the testing started that I was concerned about going from a 127g shaft to an 87g shaft with a more active tip section. I’m thinking a shaft swap might be in order.

I guess since I just experienced the same thing, only backwards, I would suggest that rather than banging your head against the wall again and again while expecting it to stop hurting, that perhaps you place a pillow on the wall. That should ease the pain.

youve shaven 40g off your shaft weight, so the centrifugal weight that pulls your club against your muscle memory is way different with the lighter club, thus all the toe hits. My fist experience was opposite, going from 82g to 115g, and I was shanking Literally every shot. The extra weight caused the bottom of the swing to be about 1” further away from me. So I adjust to the difference by setting up with the ball an inch away from the sweet spot of the face ad started to zing them.

i would suggest that you try lining up on the hosel and taking some swings, and see if that doesn’t result in beginning to make solid contact. As more and more shots are hit, you will slowly creep out to your normal setup spot as your body becomes accustomed to the weight difference. Opposite of what I did in order to make contact.

now is this how it should work? It depends on why you chose these shafts in the first place. You tried hitting a different club with a 115 shaft at cobra days and we’re happy with that. Makes sense right? Close to same weight as your current gamers, with all the nice new tech inside and you crush it. Of course! What’s different? Nothing. I would bet that had you ordered the Hogan’s with the VTours you’re be crushing them too. But you didn’t. You chose the 40g lighter recoils, to try to alleviate your elbow pain. But you now talk about pulling the shafts for some heavier steel, which you could have had from the start. Seems counter productive to me. Yes, new heavier shafts will instantly fix “the immediate problem”, but will not fix the real reason you chooses the Recoils. To the point of wouldn’t it be nice if Hogan offered more choices of shafts? Sure it would. And to swap in some custom shafts And present a review of that scenario would be awesome too, as it’s an option that would be really cool to hear about as well.

so I see you having a real conundrum here. Is your review of the combo set about the clubs, or is it about the shafts, or is it elbow pain? And the struggle is real man, it’s real!! Haha 

best of luck with whichever direction you choose to pursue. And your video work is so good....

• Like 4

:callaway-small: MavriK Sub Zero 9* on EvenFlow RipTide 6.0 50g

:ping-small: g400 3 wood on Aldila Stiff  not for long! Looking for a MavriK 3-wood!!!

:callaway-small: 816 Big Bertha Alpha 3-wood (stand-in until the MavriK is found)

:callaway-small: 815 GBB Alpha hybrid 19° On Fujikura Speeder 865 Stiff

:Hogan: Combo iron set -8,9,per Icon 5,6,7 PtxPro 4-UiHi on Recoil 780 ES f4 Stiff shafts (best clubs ever)

:benhogan-small: Equalizer 50°, 54°, 60° wedges on Recoil 780 f4

:EVNROLL: ER3 34”

:titelist-small: ProV1x

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 shoes

I so I see you having a real conundrum here. Is your review of the combo set about the clubs, or is it about the shafts, or is it elbow pain? And the struggle is real man, it’s real!! Haha 

Well, as a storyteller I wanted to try to make the review interesting. Truth be told, most of the reviews here on MGS aren’t very interesting and don’t connect with me. Most guys get a free set of clubs custom to their specs and rave about how good the clubs are without much or any negatives. That’s not to say that the reviewers do a bad job. I think the reviewers do a great job most of the time. But there needs to be some conflict in the review. The second act of the story needs to have some struggle for the final act to resolve with a good ending.

I could have got the Tour V shafts right away and been happy, but would that have helped the guy out there who like me is on the fence about whether or not they should switch to graphite for the first time? Not at all. Hopefully that guy will see the pluses and potential minuses of switching to a much lighter graphite shaft in my review without making a $800 purchase they later regret.

I view these reviews not as a free set of clubs built to my specs for everyone to read how much I love them, but as a way to take some chances at no cost and note both the good and bad so that other MGS Spies can be better informed when making their purchase.

I’ll try your idea of addressing the ball more towards the hosel, maybe that will work. But to me that seems to be a bandaid to use a shaft that doesn’t work instead of fixing the problem with a reshaft.

• Like 6

WITB:

Hogan UIHI 4-iron*

Hogan PTx Pro 5-7*

Hogan Icon 8-PW*

KZG 51 gap wedge

KZG 56 sand wedge

Rife Legend Z Putter

On 7/17/2020 at 3:34 PM, Sluggo42 said:

Here’s another view of a difference between 8 irons, in the PtxPro set -vs- the Icon, in the combo set. The PtxPro’s are in my other set... 

27CBCCC5-461C-44A0-8687-3DA3AA9941C5.jpeg.becbebacfc7dce97d5abbff7cabada7d.jpeg

may I add - that the Icons are on the Recoils, and the old PtxPro’s are on the KBS V-tour steel shafts. To say the Icon 8 on the Recoil feeling is like a warm nugget of caramel, that just melts between your teeth, just still doesn’t quite capture the gooey softness... But a puppy does!

860E3189-2784-4D64-A782-CA2E64A01E2E.jpeg.588b6be4cfba4c7de01a094dd6a552eb.jpeg

yet the good old PtxPro 8 iron is also a very satisfying strike- just different is all.

Which 8-iron did you hit better? The PTx-Pro or ICON?

I'm considering a new combo set, too. I'm a 13.4, but don't really have trouble finding the sweet spot with short irons.

• Like 2

My :1590477705_SunMountain: C-130 cart bag currently includes;

Driver: :srixon-small: z565 10.5*, Miyazaki Kaula Mizu 6 S-Flex
Fairways:  :callaway-small: X-Hot 15* & 18*, Project X PXv R-Flex
Irons: :benhogan-small:Apex Plus, 4-PW, Apex S4-Flex
Wedges: :cleveland-small: CG10; 50*, 54*, 58*, Dynamic Gold W-flex 

Putter: Ray Cook Blue Goose or Tour Edge HP #10 Red
Grips: Golf Pride MCC-Plus 4 & Lamkin UTx
Ball: Kirkland Signature 3-Piece 

2 hours ago, deejaid said:

Well, as a storyteller I wanted to try to make the review interesting. Truth be told, most of the reviews here on MGS aren’t very interesting and don’t connect with me. Most guys get a free set of clubs custom to their specs and rave about how good the clubs are without much or any negatives. That’s not to say that the reviewers do a bad job. I think the reviewers do a great job most of the time. But there needs to be some conflict in the review. The second act of the story needs to have some struggle for the final act to resolve with a good ending.

I could have got the Tour V shafts right away and been happy, but would that have helped the guy out there who like me is on the fence about whether or not they should switch to graphite for the first time? Not at all. Hopefully that guy will see the pluses and potential minuses of switching to a much lighter graphite shaft in my review without making a $800 purchase they later regret.

I view these reviews not as a free set of clubs built to my specs for everyone to read how much I love them, but as a way to take some chances at no cost and note both the good and bad so that other MGS Spies can be better informed when making their purchase.

I’ll try your idea of addressing the ball more towards the hosel, maybe that will work. But to me that seems to be a bandaid to use a shaft that doesn’t work instead of fixing the problem with a reshaft.

agreed Deejaid, I'm with ya 100%. I guess I was just thinking aloud about your situation. Not a knock intended by any means. Your struggle with the light graphites just struck a note with me in the opposite direction is all,

Cheers!

• Like 5

:ping-small: g400 3 wood on Aldila Stiff  not for long! Looking for a MavriK 3-wood!!!

:callaway-small: 816 Big Bertha Alpha 3-wood (stand-in until the MavriK is found)

:Hogan: Combo iron set -8,9,per Icon 5,6,7 PtxPro 4-UiHi on Recoil 780 ES f4 Stiff shafts (best clubs ever)

Adidas Tour 360 shoes

35 minutes ago, J.B. TexasEx said:

Which 8-iron did you hit better? The PTx-Pro or ICON?

I'm considering a new combo set, too. I'm a 13.4, but don't really have trouble finding the sweet spot with short irons.

well good question. I can't say that I hit either one BETTER than the other, and they're virtually identical in length. But I can easily say the Icon FELT better, to ME. But Ive played blades for most of my life. If you've never played blades before they might seem a bit small. But, most wedges are sort of blades, and if you hit those well, you'll probably be fine. AS you say you hit the short irons well so it could be a perfect set for you as the longer irons, PTX Pro's are forgiving and still feel sweet.

• Like 2

Adidas Tour 360 shoes

I agree with your thoughts on trying something different especially if you know how/ have access to swap shafts. I think its important to get specs that are in the ballpark or appropriate and have a reason for testing that scenario.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Driver:  Ben Hogan GS53
3W:  Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead 2
2i: Maltby KE4 FDI 
4-PW:  Maltby TS-1 - C-Taper 120g 
50º: Maltby TSW

56º:  Cleveland RTX-2 
60º: Maltby Tour Grind MG
Putter:  Odyssey White Hot RX 2-ball

Ball: Snell MTB X
Other: Game Golf Live
Handicap: 5.9  -  Best Score: 73 (1 over) Bryan Park - Players Course, Greensboro NC -2020

2020 MGS Forum Tester - Ben Hogan GS53 Driver

Played my second round yesterday.   81. 8 greens in regulation. One for nine on up and downs. Horrible short game day. The scoring irons in this set 8-PW are fantastic. I love them. They feel pure and hit the ball a consistent distance. I have had at least one tap in a round with them so far. I am really struggling with the 5 iron. I seem to hit a push fade with it. The hybrid portion of the set is the anti left hybrid unicorn that I am always looking to find. More play today. I will update. 

• Like 5

:ping-small: G 400 driver with Aldila DVS 55-SR shaft (FAIRWAY FINDING MONSTER)

:taylormade-small: Aero Burner 16 degree mini driver regular flex

:callaway-logo-1: Rogue Heavenwood regular flex shaft

:cleveland-small: Launcher HB irons 4-6 regular flex

:mizuno-small: JPX 850 7 iron thru Gap Wedge with KBS C taper lite shaft

:mizuno-small: S 5 wedges. 56/16 and 60/06.

:callaway-small:Odyssey Two Ball Triple Track Putter, 32 inches  

Right Handed. 

On 7/18/2020 at 11:18 AM, bens197 said:

First range day today and I was really pleased.  Anyone who is familiar with the Nippon Modus thread knew that I really really really loved that shaft and how well it has worked for me this season.  Moving back to the KBS Tour-V was an adjustment and honestly, I may end up putting these KBS Tours in an older set of i5's and putting Nippons in my Hogans.  So as you can assume, that would mean I really like these heads.

Here are my takeaways from today.

The PTx head is a forgiving and kind head.  This is exactly the kind of club that I need for my game when I have my meh type of swings.  The ball doesn't balloon and maintains a nice penetrating flight.  Feel is good and as others have posted, the sound is a solid thwack.  

Speaking of balloon, the UiHi...well guess what, it doesn't.  The predecessor to this club the Ft. Worth HI was the EASIEST long iron to play that I have ever swung.  It went up and flew straight but for some golfers, almost too high.  Take the UiHi, add that same easiness to get the ball airborne but add a slightly lower ball flight.  If you were in the market for a head that didn't launch your ball into the stratosphere, this is something worth looking at.  Hogan just added an 18* and 26* to their line to complement the 22*...

More to come...

I had the Nippon Modus 105 stiffs installed in my Taylormade M1 irons and I absolutely love them. They’re just incredibly smooth and feel great ... my game has improved significantly because of them. 

And at the moment, it’s my only compliant about the Ben Hogan site not having the Nippon Modus option. Additionally, they’re one of the few DTC golf companies that won’t sell the heads only. 😕 

Doesn’t surprise me that you’re enjoying the Hogans! 🙌🏼 

• Like 3

The 🙌🏼