Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Sunice Fleece and Jacket Review

GolfSpy Tim

Sunice Austin Fleece and Silverton Jacket - Review

MyGolfSpy.com Official Review

0001__MG_7743.jpg

Introduction:

I don't golf very often in “cold” conditions. Santa Barbara tends to be a pretty moderate climate, so when it comes time to consider warmer clothes for golfing, I find myself walking a fine line of warm enough, but not too warm. And then after I find something warm to wear, I almost need to go out of my way to find a time to wear it – that is until it's time to golf with my dad. (He likes to head out at Sunrise, when there's still dew on the ground!!?)

So with that in mind, I approached Sunice about their Sports Layers Collection. Sunice makes some amazing skiing/snow gear and that's where I first heard their name, and when I realized they also made golf apparel, I had to check it out. My only concern was, could a company who makes lots of snow gear make golf gear that was made for much more mild conditions?

0002__MG_7745.jpg

The details:

Looking at Sunice's different lines I quickly narrowed in on two pieces in their Sports Layers Collection, the Silverton 3 layer soft shell jacket and the Austin Polartec Micro Luxe No Pill Velour/Fleece.

From Sunice:

Silverton Jacket – Excellent wind protection and water repellency, Invisible hand pockets, Lycra binding at cuffs, Sunice patented v collar, Adjustable bungee at hem, Fleece bonded, Fabric - PROTEK ™ 3L laminated fabric, Waterproof and Breathable, WxTECH™ Coating.

Austin Fleece - Excellent thermal properties, Excellent breathability, Super soft hand feel and great stretch, Invisible chest pocket, Invisible zipper on-seam hand pockets, Fabric - Polartec® Micro Luxe No Pill Velour/Fleece.

0003__MG_7754.jpg

Where style and performance meet:

I tend to be the first person in a group to start sweating, so I'm pretty sensitive to the sweet spot of clothes that keep you warm, but don't make you sweat. I'd rather wear a short sleeve shirt and shorts and be a bit cold vs. wearing a long sleeve shirt and pants and be miserable.

0006__MG_7806.jpg

Putting on the fleece for the first time I was thrilled to have something so soft besides my wife touching my skin. Even after several washes, this fleece is still super soft (I actually brought it international with me on a flight because it doubled as a light sweater and also a super soft pillow!) I've owned a lot of fleeces, and this is hands down the softest one to date.

As I said, it's more often that I need warmer clothes when I'm golfing with my dad, and he likes riding in a cart, so it was important to me when golfing with my dad that the fleece keep me warm enough while speeding down the fairway, and cool enough when swinging for the fences. The fleece performed this function perfectly. When I was warmed up to the point of needing to take off the fleece, it was warm enough outside that I wasn't stuck in the limbo of being too hot with it on, and too cold with it off.

0005__MG_7791.jpg

Next there is the obvious demand that the fleece fit tight enough to look good, but loose enough to move with my golf swing. For a fleece this isn't a huge deal, I don't know of a fleece that restricts movement, but the jacket was something that had me paying a bit more attention on this end of things. Nothing is worst on the course than having to take clothes on and off.

So, the jacket was first put to the test on a foggy Santa Barbara morning and the moisture in the air was out of control (sticking to any surface left exposed) I think the jacket ended up staying on for the first three holes until my body had warmed up to the point of no return. The whole time the jacket performed flawlessly, helping me feel like a stud and never hindering my flawless swing. (Ok, I joke about the flawless swing, it's gotten sort of sloppy recently – time for another lesson!)

0004__MG_7769.jpg

(at some point I'm going to find someone with better looks to model for me!)

I like my clothing a bit on the tighter side of fit. Not skinny jeans style – that's just awkward. I'm talking well dressed vs. sloppy, preppy vs. gangster (ok, maybe a bit of a stretch, but you get the idea). Turns out Sunice fits perfectly to my standards. Their sizing is spot on for what I'd expect – though I thought they had sent me women's clothing at first as the zippers are on the “wrong” side – but I've purchased enough “metro/euro” clothes over the years to realize this is just how things are done outside of the US, even if it confuses me on the golf course at 6 a.m.

Value:

If you put two items in front of me, and the only difference between the two is price – and if you don't tell me the price, I'll inherently pick the more expensive one. I'm a ***** for “nice” things.

This may have been what initially drew me to Sunice's golf apparel, at about $100 for the fleece and just over $100 for the jacket I wouldn't say that these items are over priced by any means. I think most of the rock climbing and backpacking gear I buy of comparable quality can cost nearly twice as much without really offering anything extra.

I think the value is pretty spot on. I almost jumped and said it might be slightly under priced, but that might be a stretch.

0007_sunice2.jpg

Peanut Gallery

All of my friends gave me the thumbs up, without any negatives, and no overly excited responses (realistically, my friends don't say too much about how I dress these days, but my buddy did comment that I looked warmer than him when we were golfing in the morning dew/drizzle)

My wife probably had the strongest response when she told me I needed to wear the white Silverton jacket more because it looked “hot” on me. (By hot, she means I look dead sexy, not that I look like I'm about to start sweating)

Final Thoughts:

Sunice offers some GREAT clothing options. I will definitely be going back to look at their other offerings which include everything from shorts and polos all the way through complete snow suits.

If you're looking to stay warm and still be able to swing a club, Sunice will provide just that, and at a price that doesn't break the bank.

And it doesn't hurt if your wife, or whomever you're trying to impress thinks your sexy (and who knows, this might even give you an edge over your buddies when they see how “hot” you look) ;-)

A+ to Sunice for creating a line of clothing that is priced right and performs above and beyond.

Archived