Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Steelfiber vs. Recoil

fixyurdivot

Composite Shafts  

42 members have voted

1. 1. Which of these are you playing?

• Steelfiber
    • Recoil
  2. 2. What primarily drove your decision?

• Fitting/performance data
    • Price
    • Research
  3. 3. Has your move to composite shafts helped joint fatigue/pain?

• Yes
    • No
  4. 4. What age group are you in?

• 20-30
    • 31-40
    • 41-50
    • 51-60
    • 61-70
    • 71+

On 1/16/2021 at 11:25 AM, NRJyzr said:

The MMT will be coming out with a 125 Stiff reasonably soon, or so is the word.  They were to be out end of last year, but pandemic affects everything....

I just read through the giant wrx thread on the MMTs and am pretty excited about this development. I know a lot of the Steelfiber, Recoil, MMT, etc. seem to play stiff to flex, but the extra weight is what I really need to keep my transition at least reasonable. That 125 stiff, whenever it arrives, seems like a potentially good comp to my $ Taper 130x.

Driver:  :titelist-small: TSi 3 10* w/ Graphite Design AD IZ 7X 

Fairway/Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSi 2 15* & 18* w/ Graphite Design AD IZ 7X, AD IZ 95X

Irons: :taylormade-small: P790 4i, P770 5-7i, P7MC 8-P, $ Taper 120

Wedges:  :vokey-small: SM7 52F/54 S, 58 M w/ Modus 125

Putter:  :cameron-small:  California Hollywood 34" Circle H

• 2 weeks later...

I've been researching making a move to graphite. Haven't swung a graphite shafted iron in 20 years. I had my first experience with both shafts today at the area big box retailer. Unfortunately it came in the form of two different heads. I was able to try a Steelfiber i110s in a Mizuno JPX921 Tour. First let me say, what a great looking iron. I would have no problems putting them in the bag right now. As for the shaft, I think the thing I've seen the most was how 'boardy' the shaft is. For reference, I currently play KBS Tour X 130. IMO, the Steelfiber i110 is every bit as smooth as the KBS. Honestly, I was surprised. I've never gotten along with PX or C Taper and I fully expected the SF to feel that way. Not even close. It was really, really good. There was no chance to play over-length or upright so I wasn't concerned about ball flight too much. That said, I was still launching between 16-17*. My fitting last year was producing 15-16* with 6800 spin.

Next I tried the Recoil 110 F4 in an Apex Pro. Also a great looking iron. Definitely a player's iron. And the shaft...I really expected it to be better. It felt really light and I had no idea where the clubhead was. Results were all over the place. After everything I had read, I fully expected the opposite of everything that happened today. 

Now comes the part that is probably going to ruffle some feathers in this community. Maybe it's anecdotal (not likely), but my experience today confirms the need to, maybe not be fit, but at the least test equipment before you buy it. The latest podcast consisted of selling the idea of online fitting. Now they obviously have a vested interest in that market but I gotta say, I read pretty much everything I could find from reviews, to blog posts, forum posts, marketing videos, comparing CPM readings. I exhausted my search results over the course of about a week. Everything about what I prefer and have liked so far in golf equipment was saying that there was a very good chance that I was going to prefer Recoil over Steelfiber and that was completely false. 

All of that being said, I'm aware of the Recoil Proto models and it's possible those will be better than the Steelfibers. I haven't been able to find access to those to test outside of purchasing one. But to me, the more important take away was I didn't expect to like the Steelfiber i110 as much as I did. Testing is not done though. I will move on and pick up a single shaft and build one to my preferred specs.

TL;DR Personal experience with equipment beats assumptions and generalizations. Test products in hand before trusting what others say/believe you should play

On 12/16/2020 at 4:40 PM, Sean D. said:

Fitting data for sure. I tried recoils on a whim and they just weren't right for me. Steelfiber in the correct weight/flex are just fantastic things! I even have the CW 115 in the wedges. I have played primarily X100 for ~twenty years but there's just no question these are easier on the body and feel great.

That last line is exactly why I am experimenting with a set of Steel Fiber 95s in a set of 2018 TM TP cavity backs. Now my usual Hogan Apex #2 shafts are not rebar but for me it is the shock factor on my back and shoulder. I am still recovering and this weather here lately has not been condusive to someone with my injuries but I am working on it. Main thing for me being a strictly feel player is the difference in feel. I just recently switched drivers to a M-6 with an Evenflow 45 gram senior shaft and so far liking that change. Hit that club a little further and straighter with hardly any effort.

Edited by BIG STU

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G