Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Shot Clock in Golf - Ratings Boost or Sport Killer?

GolfSpy_X

I think the clock should be off for the last few groups on sunday. The reasoning being that they earned the ability to take a little extra time.

Then again, sunday is the most watched day, so maybe you would want there to be a clock especially on sunday.

• SPY VIP

I think the clock should be off for the last few groups on sunday. The reasoning being that they earned the ability to take a little extra time.

Then again, sunday is the most watched day, so maybe you would want there to be a clock especially on sunday.

So you think on the most important playing day that the game should be governed by TV wants and needs? I do not agree.

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

The pace of play can be horrible sometimes, but a shot clock, done correctly, might be a good idea. A couple gentle reminders for slow play, before the clock is put on the player/group.

John Barry

Bring the Funk, Back to Golf

The Golfer's Trip

I don't know what the solution is but a shot clock has no place in golf.

It's just a shame that tour play has become so slow it is unwatchable, at least by me. Blame Nicklaus and Woods for the examples they set.

Tour golf is almost as slow as college tournaments. :)

Semper Fi

My Club

• SPY VIP

It's just a shame that tour play has become so slow it is unwatchable, at least by me. Blame Nicklaus and Woods for the examples they set.

Tour golf is almost as slow as college tournaments. :P

Was Jack a slower player?

That would explain a bunch about the current pace with many current players trying to emulate his game.

Plus, it looks like when the two of them take this extra time, the results are impressive.

What do you think about different pacing on the qualifying rounds vs. the weekend?

Are you thinking of March-April-May Madness? :)

Volvo Intorqueo

Tour golf is almost as slow as college tournaments. :P

At least college golfers are good. Ever watch JV high school golfers take 2 minutes to hit a 3 foot putt? Multiply by 12 golfers in a match, times 9 holes = a slow, painful death.

Was Jack a slower player?

That would explain a bunch about the current pace with many current players trying to emulate his game.

Plus, it looks like when the two of them take this extra time, the results are impressive.

What do you think about different pacing on the qualifying rounds vs. the weekend?

Are you thinking of March-April-May Madness? :)

I don't know about Jack, but Tiger certainly takes his time, especially on the greens. It's funny that this is viewed as a bad thing/bad example (by some), because I can recall reading in a number of golf magazines that amateurs should follow Tiger's example and really focus on their putts.

Personally, I don't like the idea of changing the rules mid-tournament, or mid-season. It seems like it would make a bit of a farce out the proceedings. Unfortunately, I don't know that I have a better solution other than the one that's already been said: enforce the rules that currently exist, and enforce them on everyone.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

• SPY VIP

At least college golfers are good. Ever watch JV high school golfers take 2 minutes to hit a 3 foot putt? Multiply by 12 golfers in a match, times 9 holes = a slow, painful death.

I don't know about Jack, but Tiger certainly takes his time, especially on the greens. It's funny that this is viewed as a bad thing/bad example (by some), because I can recall reading in a number of golf magazines that amateurs should follow Tiger's example and really focus on their putts.

Personally, I don't like the idea of changing the rules mid-tournament, or mid-season. It seems like it would make a bit of a farce out the proceedings. Unfortunately, I don't know that I have a better solution other than the one that's already been said: enforce the rules that currently exist, and enforce them on everyone.

What do you think about changing the enforcement of the existing rule during the season?

Volvo Intorqueo

Jack is a contemporary of mine an, yes, he is considered the father of slow play---maybe the grandfather now.

Most of the time wasted is on the putting green and during the long drawn out discussions with their caddies, neither of which is necessary to that extent IMO.

Semper Fi

My Club

• SPY VIP

Jack is a contemporary of mine an, yes, he is considered the father of slow play---maybe the grandfather now.

Most of the time wasted is on the putting green and during the long drawn out discussions with their caddies, neither of which is necessary to that extent IMO.

How do you think that can be changed? The caddy has the manual for the green with all the complicated drawings of the breaks and elevations.

Should the player and the caddy only interact at the bag as the putter is handed off? 100% player for the putt?

Volvo Intorqueo

So you think on the most important playing day that the game should be governed by TV wants and needs? I do not agree.

The PGA TOUR would be nothing without TV, that said in my last post I thought I was pretty on the fence about the issue.

Maybe a warning and every time they break the time, charge them $100?

PING: Rapture V1 9° Aldila VS Proto 'By You' (65 Stiff)

TITLEIST: 906F4 15.5° Aldila VS Proto 'By You' (80 Stiff)

COBRA: 5w Speed LD F/ST Tour AD YS Designed by Graphite Design made for Cobra Stiff

PING: S59 Rifle 6.5 Soft stepped

PING: Tour 48°, 52°, 58°

Byron SS Custom 006

Titelist Pro V 1

Ping hoofer Vantage

"Everyday you miss practicing, it will take you one day longer to get good." -Ben Hogan

How do you think that can be changed? The caddy has the manual for the green with all the complicated drawings of the breaks and elevations.

Should the player and the caddy only interact at the bag as the putter is handed off? 100% player for the putt?

I was actually thinking more of certain players who read the break from 19 different angles. The player/caddy discussions in the fairway as to whether the wind is 3 or 4 mph and whether it's a stock 6 or a nuked 7 drive me bananas.

I know it's against everything traditionalists stand for but I'd do away with caddies altogether and just hire some dolt to carry my bag if I had to. ;)

Semper Fi

My Club

• SPY VIP

I was actually thinking more of certain players who read the break from 19 different angles. The player/caddy discussions in the fairway as to whether the wind is 3 or 4 mph and whether it's a stock 6 or a nuked 7 drive me bananas.

I know it's against everything traditionalists stand for but I'd do away with caddies altogether and just hire some dolt to carry my bag if I had to. :D

It sounds like you are suggesting pros carry their own clubs. Now you are going to anger the traditionalists. ;)

Getting rid of the caddies could speed things up, but maybe pros would take longer to make a decision without the help of the caddy.

Volvo Intorqueo

I know it's against everything traditionalists stand for but I'd do away with caddies altogether and just hire some dolt to carry my bag if I had to. :)

Just for one tournament I would want to see what this would be like. They would have to read everything themselves though, which could make it slower, but that would probably be balanced out by the shortened time to pick clubs and such.

• SPY VIP

It sounds like you are suggesting pros carry their own clubs. Now you are going to anger the traditionalists. :)

Getting rid of the caddies could speed things up, but maybe pros would take longer to make a decision without the help of the caddy.

Just for one tournament I would want to see what this would be like. They would have to read everything themselves though, which could make it slower, but that would probably be balanced out by the shortened time to pick clubs and such.

if you are going to paraphrase the post above yours, at least explain the part that contradicts it. Why would a pro be faster to select a club and figure yardage without a caddy than read a green without a caddy?

Wouldn't the same lack of caddy input on the fairway slow down their decision making there as it would on the green.

Volvo Intorqueo

• SPY VIP

Maybe a warning and every time they break the time, charge them $100?

I like the fine idea, but maybe fine them after so that they can keep concentration during the round. More money too

Volvo Intorqueo

I like the fine idea, but maybe fine them after so that they can keep concentration during the round. More money too

Ofcourse. I think after the round would be perfect to let them know. Warn them once on the course. Take the money and have it donated to local charity.

PING: Rapture V1 9° Aldila VS Proto 'By You' (65 Stiff)

TITLEIST: 906F4 15.5° Aldila VS Proto 'By You' (80 Stiff)

COBRA: 5w Speed LD F/ST Tour AD YS Designed by Graphite Design made for Cobra Stiff

PING: S59 Rifle 6.5 Soft stepped

PING: Tour 48°, 52°, 58°

Byron SS Custom 006

Titelist Pro V 1

Ping hoofer Vantage

"Everyday you miss practicing, it will take you one day longer to get good." -Ben Hogan

• SPY VIP

Ofcourse. I think after the round would be perfect to let them know. Warn them once on the course. Take the money and have it donated to local charity.

Even better with the charity. Do you think it could even work without the warning?

Volvo Intorqueo

if you are going to paraphrase the post above yours, at least explain the part that contradicts it. Why would a pro be faster to select a club and figure yardage without a caddy than read a green without a caddy?

Wouldn't the same lack of caddy input on the fairway slow down their decision making there as it would on the green.

There would just be one less person to have to convince that the club you pick is the right one. It might not be true all of the time, but I'd be willing to guess it would speed it up more often than not.

• SPY VIP

There would just be one less person to have to convince that the club you pick is the right one. It might not be true all of the time, but I'd be willing to guess it would speed it up more often than not.

Wouldn't that work to increase speed on the green too then, one less person finding the line?

Volvo Intorqueo

• SPY VIP

I sure hope so. :)

So reading themselves would now make it faster?

I am not trying to pile on here, but your argument seems to drift a bit. :)

Volvo Intorqueo

I don't think this would speed up play at all. Yes, the caddies and players have discussions that sometimes seem to go on and on, but do you want to watch while the player pulls out his own yardage book, walks off the number, and then finally starts to think about the club? Then he has to clean off his own club after the shot and carry the bag. I'm just not seeing how this will make it faster.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

• 2 months later...

Absolutely - hell the rule is there but the PGA Tour does not have the cojones to use it.

Regardless of what you think about Sabbatini, he (imo) was 100% in the right when he walked off the green to the next tee box while Crane was acting like one.

If you have ever seen a Crane you'll get my point.

The thing that TV / the camera does not show is the turtle pace some guys employ week in week out.

For those who say nay - I guess you have absolutely no problem with that group of women (sorry for casting a wide net) and that group of interminably slow male players in front of you on a weekend. If you have never complained about those type of groups in front of you then I guess you can not be concerned, but if you have, then defending slow play does not make sense.

And please don't bring up the money point - these guys have wear patterns the size of a dime on their sticks -

Now while 40 seconds to assess the situation seems even to me to be a bit too short, give them two (2) minutes - thats more than enough time.

The overwhelming problem with implementing the rule, as I understand it, is that they assess a penalty for everyone in the group. Once again, the USGA making a rule so bad that no one wants to enforce it.

rob

I Can't Help It If I'm Lucky...

Archived