Testers Announced! Vokey SM10 Wedges! ×

Tip trimming driver shaft to change soft tip to medium tip ?

Sparkee

Tip trimming driver shaft to change soft tip to medium tip ? Is this possible ? Is it worth doing ? Could be my next experiment. The shaft is a Fubuki shaft z50x5ct A flex . I am finding as I get older I am more to open using equipment I have sitting around before going to buy the proper shaft . 🤷🏻‍♂️ what are you going to do ? Ask the experts I say .

1 hour ago, Sparkee said:

Tip trimming driver shaft to change soft tip to medium tip ? Is this possible ? Is it worth doing ? Could be my next experiment. The shaft is a Fubuki shaft z50x5ct A flex . I am finding as I get older I am more to open using equipment I have sitting around before going to buy the proper shaft . 🤷🏻‍♂️ what are you going to do ? Ask the experts I say .

... Shafts should be thought of as a system, not individual parts. Most shaft engineers will tell you never tip trim more than 2" because you change the characteristics of the entire club. The butt works in conjunction with the middle that both work in conjunction with the tip. So the easy answers is no. Now that said, if you have a shaft you don't mind "ruining" for the sake of an experiment, nothing wrong with giving it a shot. Just because you change the system and the original design doesn't mean it won't work for you. It's a long shot of course, but golf forums used to be filled with long shots that seem to work at least some of the time and always makes for interesting reading. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... AutoFlex Dream 7 SF405
Fairway:  :taylormade-small:    Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        430 Hybrid 22*... Diamana LTD 65r  
                  :taylormade-small:    DHy #4 ... Steelfiber 780Hy  
Irons:       :titleist-small:           '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :titleist-small:           Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:    Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli/:taylormade-small:  Maxfli Tour/TP5x

39 minutes ago, Sparkee said:

If you tip trim 2 inches could that not be used for a five wood ?

... Below is from Fujikura as an example. They recommend no tip trimming for a driver or a 3 wood and .5" for a 5 wood. The engineering behind shaft construction is meant for specific results and tip trimming 2" just changes the entire shaft dynamics. That doesn't mean it won't work, but it is a little like buying a lottery ticket. I shimmed a wood shaft into a 22* hybrid for my 80yr old playing pard to produce more flex and a higher trajectory. Using an R flex Even Flow Blue wood shaft untipped, it plays much more like in-between a senior and ladies flex. I got a little lucky and he is hitting it way better than his other hybrids and fairway woods. 

The following tip trimming instructions are suggestions only.  We generally do not recommend tip trimming on a driver or 3 wood shaft based on the shaft composition and how tipping could affect performance. We recommend that you consult your custom fitter or club-builder for the best tip trimming suggestions based on your individual swing and desired results. To locate a Fujikura custom fitter near you, please use our Dealer Locator.

In general, tip trimming can be used to achieve a stiffer shaft profile, lower launch, and/or lower spin. Tip trimming 1“ is equivalent to one flex.  For example, if you wanted to stiffen your S flex to an X flex then you would tip trim 1”. If you prefer to play shaft in between S and X flex, you would tip trim 1/2”.

Excellent information my man . I have never used this shaft , so first thing to do is try it as it is . It gets pretty windy here in the north , I would say 60% of our game days are windy , so I am looking to lower my flight  without swing manipulation. I will keep you posted as I go along . I am going on virtual golf information and how it feels at this time of year . Thanks Chisag .

• 2 weeks later...

Sir,

I would not recommend a A flex shaft to anyone . No matter what age . It is difficult enough for most players to contact the golf ball consistently without using a flexible shaft that is bending excessively. I am 84 and I might use a lighter Tennis Raquet , an Axe , a Hatchet or baseball bat, or a lighter golf shaft, but never with flexible ones.  ! A stiff lever is always better for control !

3 hours ago, Lane Holt said:

Sir,

I would not recommend a A flex shaft to anyone . No matter what age . It is difficult enough for most players to contact the golf ball consistently without using a flexible shaft that is bending excessively. I am 84 and I might use a lighter Tennis Raquet , an Axe , a Hatchet or baseball bat, or a lighter golf shaft, but never with flexible ones.  ! A stiff lever is always better for control !

While it may not be the best option for you, numerous players on this forum and other forums as well as some documented examples on YouTube show that an A flex could provide benefit.  You should take a look at the thread I linked below. 

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :touredgeexotics: XCG7 Beta 15*  w/Fujikura Fuel
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Yes I have definitely read these , the big difference here is that the sacrificial shaft does not weigh in at the 40 gram weight required for the Otto flex experiment. I would hazard to say that many shafts have been sacrificed in the ottoflex trials . I tried selling the shaft for 30 and there are no takers so I figure it would be a good learning lesson for me .

26 minutes ago, Sparkee said:

Yes I have definitely read these , the big difference here is that the sacrificial shaft does not weigh in at the 40 gram weight required for the Otto flex experiment. I would hazard to say that many shafts have been sacrificed in the ottoflex trials . I tried selling the shaft for 30 and there are no takers so I figure it would be a good learning lesson for me .

My comment wasn’t to you but to the person that said no one should ever play an A flex shaft.   You are having a completely different discussion topic.  Sorry for the confusion.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :touredgeexotics: XCG7 Beta 15*  w/Fujikura Fuel
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Thanks for your reply. Not trying to change anybody’s mind. I just approach things from a physics standpoint. For instance , I would never use an axe or hatchet with a flexible handle. That would make it mote difficult to hit the same spot consistently. Just my simple- minded reasoning. 

11 hours ago, Lane Holt said:

Thanks for your reply. Not trying to change anybody’s mind. I just approach things from a physics standpoint. For instance , I would never use an axe or hatchet with a flexible handle. That would make it mote difficult to hit the same spot consistently. Just my simple- minded reasoning. 

... As an engineer when Karsten first introduced his Eye 2's he too thought taking the flex out of the equation was ideal. So he installed x flex in all irons, including ladies. In theory it is sound and today the Nunchuk shaft has a similar principle, used on tour by several players. My son is a very strong hitter and he loves this shaft. But in practice slower swingers need help with trajectory, spin and some oomph through impact that can add needed distance and they can benefit from a more flexible shaft. Slower swingers also don't vary their speed as much as faster swingers and their timing is usually more consistent. That said the constant refrain of it is always a good idea to get fit for a shaft is a good one. 

... And fwiw, I wouldn't use a flexible handled axe or hatchet either. 👍  But after several fittings, a little more flex with an AD-IZ in a SR flex that is between stiff and regular produces the best dispersion and distance combination for my swing. 

Chisag ,

Yes Sir,

Karsten was way ahead in golf shaft technology . You are correct and I have known this  for years . That is one of the reasons he copped the market and many players still play I2’s . Many sets being a flatter Orange dot which is better IMO. X stiff shafts and light SW was his secret  and nobody knew they were such stiff shafts. Women and juniors loved them.
       I don’t believe the shaft should be 100% consideration to create launch conditions. If you need more loft then I suggest players use higher lofted irons and metals. Deceleration at impact  of flexible  tipped shafts  causes erratic dispersion. My loft and lie work testing over many years has convinced me that Pings adherence to specs. are the best.

Coincident that you mentioned Nunchuk shafts. I am associated with them. My parents and I met Karsten at the Masters years ago. What a wonderful gentleman he was ! 
Thanks- great to hear from you !