Regripping with an air compressor

Christof

Hello

On the internet/YouTube I only see benefits with a compressor blowing golf grips on the shaft. 
Are there no disadvantages of regripping with a compressor?
Does the grip stay on forever or twist after a while?
The grips do not expand when blowing the grip on the shaft?
I would like to regripp my clubs myself and test with grips, I have compressor at home, I have no experience with it, that's why the question on the forum.

Christof

:taylormade-small:Redline Monte Carlo, Face Balanced, Grip:garsen: max

:cleveland-small: RTX5 58°/06°, RTX6° 54° low+8° and 48°/10°Dynamic Gold Spinner Tour Issue Wedge Flex

:wilson_staff_small: D9: 5 en PW; KBS Max Ultralight steel

:taylormade-small: Stealth F.W.7 21° and F.W.3 15° ventus red 5 regular

:taylormade-small: TP5: :vice: Pro plus

Garmin: Vivoactive 4

:nike-small: Air max 90

It can be a bit tricky to do and it is possible to blow up a grip. 

I have yet to have issues with mine twisting or moving in anyway. I do like that i don't need to have the mess or deal with solvent, but it isn't too difficult of a process. 

In terms of stretching, I have yet to notice that. However I also use mid size so they have a bit more to them. 

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

3 hours ago, Christof said:

Hello

On the internet/YouTube I only see benefits with a compressor blowing golf grips on the shaft. 
Are there no disadvantages of regripping with a compressor?
Does the grip stay on forever or twist after a while?
The grips do not expand when blowing the grip on the shaft?
I would like to regripp my clubs myself and test with grips, I have compressor at home, I have no experience with it, that's why the question on the forum.

Christof

Pure grips have been installed this way for years.  They even sell a took to assist with the installation.   

I would say the one disadvantage is that if you use too much air pressure the grip will expand too much and be unusable.   

I haven't heard of people complaining that the grips twist or come off.   

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :touredgeexotics: XCG7 Beta 15*  w/Fujikura Fuel
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I had similar questions/concerns about this install method but, based on the forum folks feedback and advice, purchased the equipment to do this and not had any issues installing Golf Pride and Lamkin grips.  You do have to be careful applying the air (regulated and short bursts work best for me) but it's actually quite easy... so less messy than tape and solvent.  Plus, if you don't like the way it went on, just blow it off and re-install. 

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Official Review)

23 hours ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

It can be a bit tricky to do and it is possible to blow up a grip. 

I have yet to have issues with mine twisting or moving in anyway. I do like that i don't need to have the mess or deal with solvent, but it isn't too difficult of a process. 

In terms of stretching, I have yet to notice that. However I also use mid size so they have a bit more to them. 

OK I have a standard grip, won't be the problem now either. What do you use for the grips and inflating, a compressed air valve or something like the PURE Green Attachment, is expensive though especially for having it sent to Belgium and also through European site is quite expensive.

:cleveland-small: RTX5 58°/06°, RTX6° 54° low+8° and 48°/10°Dynamic Gold Spinner Tour Issue Wedge Flex

20 hours ago, cnosil said:

Pure grips have been installed this way for years.  They even sell a took to assist with the installation.   

I would say the one disadvantage is that if you use too much air pressure the grip will expand too much and be unusable.   

I haven't heard of people complaining that the grips twist or come off.   

I went to the PURE Grips site and created a shopping month there and 44€ shipping and 17€ taxes, is bit too much

so can read though intressant, thank you.

19 hours ago, Kenny B said:

I've been putting grips on with air for over 10 years; never had a problem and the advantages are nice.  Once the grips have been installed initially, it's easy to change them all or swap one out to try something different; don't like it, take it off without cutting it off and put the other one back on.  

I do use Pure grips and their install tool.  It's worth the price, but I got mine for free with a full set of grips order years ago.  Not really necessary but it provides nice control.  If you put blue painter's tape on the shaft before installing, it's easy on/off.  Follow the video on Pure Grips website to prevent blowups; only use short bursts of air.

Okay for 10 years I totally didn't know.
Pure Grip look at my reply at cnosil.
Using compressed air and painter's tape thanks for the advice

10 minutes ago, Christof said:

OK I have a standard grip, won't be the problem now either. What do you use for the grips and inflating, a compressed air valve or something like the PURE Green Attachment, is expensive though especially for having it sent to Belgium and also through European site is quite expensive.

I have MCC4 which are a bit strudier than standard and just use a simple air compressor from work. Nothing fancy and the attachment isn't even ideal as it is a large needle attachment, but I make it work!

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

19 hours ago, fixyurdivot said:

I had similar questions/concerns about this install method but, based on the forum folks feedback and advice, purchased the equipment to do this and not had any issues installing Golf Pride and Lamkin grips.  You do have to be careful applying the air (regulated and short bursts work best for me) but it's actually quite easy... so less messy than tape and solvent.  Plus, if you don't like the way it went on, just blow it off and re-install. 

Only for that tape and solvent would I work with air pressure. What do you use for the grips and inflating, a compressed air valve or something like the PURE Green Attachment?

2 minutes ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

I have MCC4 which are a bit strudier than standard and just use a simple air compressor from work. Nothing fancy and the attachment isn't even ideal as it is a large needle attachment, but I make it work!

Oké Thanks.

There are advantages and disadvantages to both. As someone who doesn't own an air compressor it is a much higher entry price for me than just using the solvent method. One other item that is important to me is the layering of the tape. I'm between a midsize and a jumbo grip - so I typically use 3 layers of tape to build up the grip. And while I use a non tapered grip for my irons and wedges (MCC+4) I'll typically add an additional 1/2 layer for my SW and LW. 

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

8 minutes ago, Christof said:

Okay for 10 years I totally didn't know.
Pure Grip look at my reply at cnosil.
Using compressed air and painter's tape thanks for the advice

I bought a small 2 gallon compressor for around $50 (Walmart).  You don't need the Pure attachment; you can use an air nozzle attachment that will fit into the hole in the butt end of the grip.  Not much pressure is needed, but I run the compressor until it shuts off then I can do all my grips before the pressure is too low.  Short bursts and I've never had an issue with grips expanding too much.

I've done several brands of grips; some take a little more time; some are downright difficult, but can be done (Winn grips with the hard collar).  I use midsize grips and add 3 layers of blue painter's tape.  One layer is really necessary IMO.  Grips can be installed directly on the shaft, but without a layer of tape, they are a little more difficult to remove if they are on for a long time.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

1 hour ago, Christof said:

I went to the PURE Grips site and created a shopping month there and 44€ shipping and 17€ taxes, is bit too much

so can read though intressant, thank you.

you just need a basic tool that will fit in the hole in the end of the grip.   You indicated you watched Youtube videos so I assumed you knew what you needed and only wanted to know if it works.   This video will give you the basics and show you an inexpensive tool to use. 

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

22 hours ago, Kenny B said:

I bought a small 2 gallon compressor for around $50 (Walmart).  You don't need the Pure attachment; you can use an air nozzle attachment that will fit into the hole in the butt end of the grip.  Not much pressure is needed, but I run the compressor until it shuts off then I can do all my grips before the pressure is too low.  Short bursts and I've never had an issue with grips expanding too much.

I've done several brands of grips; some take a little more time; some are downright difficult, but can be done (Winn grips with the hard collar).  I use midsize grips and add 3 layers of blue painter's tape.  One layer is really necessary IMO.  Grips can be installed directly on the shaft, but without a layer of tape, they are a little more difficult to remove if they are on for a long time.

I have Compresseur Bauger 1.5 CV 6 L Powerline at home. Then I guess it will be enough if you have one of 2L. 

23 hours ago, tony@CIC said:

There are advantages and disadvantages to both. As someone who doesn't own an air compressor it is a much higher entry price for me than just using the solvent method. One other item that is important to me is the layering of the tape. I'm between a midsize and a jumbo grip - so I typically use 3 layers of tape to build up the grip. And while I use a non tapered grip for my irons and wedges (MCC+4) I'll typically add an additional 1/2 layer for my SW and LW. 

I have Compresseur Bauger 1.5 CV 6 L Powerline at home. I have small hands standard grip is enough for me, I will try the MCC4 plus though. I've been allowed to hit with a wedge where the grip is the same thickness from bottom to top and did feel good.

21 hours ago, cnosil said:

you just need a basic tool that will fit in the hole in the end of the grip.   You indicated you watched Youtube videos so I assumed you knew what you needed and only wanted to know if it works.   This video will give you the basics and show you an inexpensive tool to use. 

Yes I wanted to know that it worked, I had talked to some people about this and they were not fans of it or had never heard of it. Apparently it has been done at your place for years. I had been allowed to hit with a wedge by Thibaut and the grip was the same thickness from bottom to top and felt good, now I want to try different brands/models, I have now had the MCC4 plus put on my 54°, before that Golfpride tour velevt. He did with tape and solvent, I find too much hassle. where I have let didn't want to know about blowing the grips on. The film I was good well seen which valve piece I need.

22 hours ago, cnosil said:

Hey cnosil

I have a question what is the name of the blow gun, does that model have a special name? Looks so handy that way, I googled blow gun on different manners and don't come across it.

Greetings
Christof

Hey cnosil

I have a question what is the name of the blow gun, does that model have a special name? Looks so handy that way, I googled blow gun on different manners and don't come across it.

Greetings
Christof

I don't know what stores you have in Europe but here is one:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Primefit-7-Piece-Blow-Gun-Kit/1002741446

They are pretty standard basic tools that come with air compressors.

3 hours ago, Christof said:

Yes I wanted to know that it worked, I had talked to some people about this and they were not fans of it or had never heard of it. Apparently it has been done at your place for years. I had been allowed to hit with a wedge by Thibaut and the grip was the same thickness from bottom to top and felt good, now I want to try different brands/models, I have now had the MCC4 plus put on my 54°, before that Golfpride tour velevt. He did with tape and solvent, I find too much hassle. where I have let didn't want to know about blowing the grips on. The film I was good well seen which valve piece I need.

If you haven't put grips on before, you will also need a way to securely lock the shaft in place without damaging the shaft.  You will need this whether using tape and solvent or air compressor.

I use two of these in a vise mounted on a bench

https://www.golfworks.com/rubber-shaft-clamp/p/gw0141/

Best of luck on your re-gripping!  Once you get it setup, it's easy after that.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

19 hours ago, cnosil said:

I don't know what stores you have in Europe but here is one:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Primefit-7-Piece-Blow-Gun-Kit/1002741446

They are pretty standard basic tools that come with air compressors.

Okay, I can't access the site. I did some search work with the translation and the name of the air gun, at bol.com I found 2 brands Silverline Compressor and U.S.PRO, is times look closely, with and without clutch and with many and without accessories.
thank you

17 hours ago, Kenny B said:

If you haven't put grips on before, you will also need a way to securely lock the shaft in place without damaging the shaft.  You will need this whether using tape and solvent or air compressor.

I use two of these in a vise mounted on a bench

https://www.golfworks.com/rubber-shaft-clamp/p/gw0141/

Best of luck on your re-gripping!  Once you get it setup, it's easy after that.

OK, I only wanted to buy 1 but having spare can't be bad.
Thanks

OK, I only wanted to buy 1 but having spare can't be bad.
Thanks

I use two because I have a wider vise; it's what I had, and it makes the shaft more stable.  One would probably work fine.  I don't see it ever wearing out; I've had mine for over 15 years.

Be careful how much pressure you apply to the shaft, especially graphite shafts.

yes so, I just ordered 2, I have a normal vice is another one that I made myself in 6th grade. it's 8.03 EUR for 2 on a site in Germany ordered.
fixed is fixed is that enough? that's what we say in Belgium for fixing some materials.

On 2/21/2023 at 12:44 AM, cnosil said:

Hello Consil

Good day

I have a question, I have the gun and the tapered tip, I have been to 2 shops already, I, can't find the piece that is on the gun and where the tapered tip should go in, the question is what is the name of that piece and what size is it.

Sporting greetings
Christof

2 hours ago, Christof said:

Hello Consil

Good day

I have a question, I have the gun and the tapered tip, I have been to 2 shops already, I, can't find the piece that is on the gun and where the tapered tip should go in, the question is what is the name of that piece and what size is it.

Sporting greetings
Christof

sorry,  not sure what piece you are trying to find.  The tip I have just screws into the gun that connects to the hose.  

13 hours ago, Christof said:

Hello Consil

Good day

Sporting greetings
Christof

Christof,

Can you possibly take a photo of what you have so we can see what's what?

In the bag:
Driver:cobra-small: Darkspeed X 9°  UST Mamiya LIN-Q M40X Blue 7F4
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:callaway-logo-1: Fairway 14 stand bag
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

20 hours ago, cnosil said:

sorry,  not sure what piece you are trying to find.  The tip I have just screws into the gun that connects to the hose.  

Good day Consil

Yes I didn't explain well. I mean like in the video you forwarded, I have same gun my taper tip the gold piece does not fit on it, I need a piece that is screwed on the gun and there the taper tip on it.

Christof

20230301_211933.jpg

9 hours ago, MattF said:

Christof,

Can you possibly take a photo of what you have so we can see what's what?

The taper tip the gold piece does not fit on it, I need a piece that screws onto the gun and the taper tip on that.

Or taper tip that goes directly on the gun, I have not found.

Christof

20230301_211933.jpg

32 minutes ago, Christof said:

Yes I didn't explain well. I mean like in the video you forwarded, I have same gun my taper tip the gold piece does not fit on it, I need a piece that is screwed on the gun and there the taper tip on it.

As I mentioned,  mine came with a plastic tip that works fine for grip installation/removal so I didn't have to buy any extra parts.   You need some kind of adapter like I found on ebay,  but I don't know if that is the right one since I don't know the size or threading of the tip or the blow gun.  

https://www.ebay.com/itm/172086162229