Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Spikes or spikless?

Alan Scalzi

• Guests
Guest Richochet Rick

I have couple pairs of both but here in FL but prefer spikeless… Having said that…best rounds I ever played were barefoot. Made me swing within myself

I've gone both spiked and spikeless in the central florida morning dew. Given that I'm no tour player, the comfort, aesthetics and convenience of spikeless jordan 1 lows are my go-to, with my spikeless air max 90s and air max 97s as close backups. I can hit the morning 9 walking course (pretty flat), hose them off at the club house, and hit the grocery store on my way home without any fuss. 

As far as pricing goes, I usually opt for a colorway that's on sale as nike tends to reinvent the shoes year over year resulting in solid discounts for the previous season. I'd hit up a local big box store to get the sizing right (jordans for me have been true to size where I half size up for air maxes), then just order the best deal you can find online. For what it's worth, Nike itself has one of the best return policies i've ever encountered in my years of buying and selling sneakers.

• Driver: Cobra Fly-Z (10°)
  • Woods: Cobra LTDx (14°, 18°)
  • Irons: TaylorMade Stealth (9i-GW) 
  • Wedges: TaylorMade MG3 Black (54°, 58°)
  • Putter: Cobra Grandsport-35 Black

I own both and prefer spikes. I have some hilly courses around me that tend to hold onto water so they just work out better for me.

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

• Guests
Guest Jeffbman

Spikeless shoes are more comfortable in the long run run but when the nubs wear out, they are just shoes where spiked golf shoes can have their spikes replaced as time goes by.  Therefore, I believe that spiked shoes are a better value.

Since spikeless came out, I was hooked! They are generally more comfortable. They grip well but have enough give for your feet to turn (which I like) and they are much more friendlier to the putting surfaces! Currently have some Jordan ADG 3’s

Just a Texas dude chasing white balls

I have both spiked and spikeless. It depends on the weather and course conditions. I believe that spikeless golf shoes puts less stress on the lower back during the golf swing because spiked shoes makes a golfer more planted on the ground. I don't need any more pain hitting a golf ball since my 2 back operations, 3 shoulder surgeries, and a hip replacement. It's strange as we get older (65+) we compare all of our operations and try to out do the next person.

WITB:

MALTBY TS2 irons Mizuno 54* mpt11 wedge Inazone 58* wedge

MALTBY KE4 tour driver  Ray Cook putter M1X

Integra #3 fwy.  SMT #5 fwy.

Had several pair of both styles. Here's something else to think about: Cost.

If you're buying $50 golf shoes, cost doesn't matter. They're throw-aways when they get worn. On the other hand, if you normally buy $150-$200 or up golf shoes, it matters

If the spikes wear out on a pair of $200 shoes, you buy a new set of spikes for $15 and you're good to go. If an expensive pair of spikeless shoes wear out, you're buying a new pair of shoes.

As far as comfort goes, once you find a brand of shoe where their last fits your foot great, (happens to be Adidas for me), then both spiked and spikeless should both be equally comfortable walking on the course. Sidewalks and parking lots may be different.

And as most have mentioned...hilly and/or wet course, spikeless adds a risk of slipping.

Spiked for me!

Spikeless are so convenient and don't have many slipping issues, given the importance of your connection to the ground in golf swing suggest trying on shoes before buying even if then buying online.  Btw, same with ski boots     

Driver - 2023 Callaway Paradym 9.0, 3 Wood -2022 Rogue ST Max, 3 Hybrid Mavrik, 2017 X-forged 4-PW, Wedges Callaway 50-56-60, Putter Odyssey Toulon Chicago     

Always use spikeless now.  I feel that the comfort is worth a touch of traction and I can wear them on or off the course.

I'm 72 years old and I enjoy playing golf at least once a week.

PXG 0211 Driver 10.5, with graphite senior shaft

PXG 0211 3W, 5W and 7W, with graphite senior shaft

Cobra F-Max Hybrid set 6,5,4 Hybrids, 7,8,9,PW,GW, graphite senior shaft (I'm old)

C3i 59 degree Sand Wedge, steel shaft

Odyssey DFX Double Wide 33" putter

Hello. I have these shoes, about 3 months now and traction has been excellent. Comfort is really good. Only thing: these are snug fitting as mentioned by other reviewers of this shoe, form fitting. To me though, they seem to be loosening up just enough. I personally recommend them as I got them on eBay for $85 just a few months ago brand new.

Kevin WP

• Guests
Guest Rolaidz

FYI the 270G run real small, like narrow, and don't fit like the reg 270s. Try them on or go a half size up min. I fine the traction fine as long as it's not too wet out. 

21 hours ago, tony@CIC said:

I've switched 100% to spikeless here in Florida. But our Fl. course is relatively flat compared to our course in Ohio. I've found Dicks generally doesn't have a wide selection of shoes. Their sister store Golf Galaxy might be a better bet for you to find the 'right' shoe. 

So true on Dick's. By all my golf shoes online and get a lot better prices, especially previous years models.

Driver: :titelist-small: TSI3 - 10*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus - 10.5*, Oban Kiyoshi Purple O4Flex-65 Grams Purred
3 Wood: :taylormade-small: SIM - 15*, Graphite Design Tour AD DJ5 Stiff
Hybrid: :titelist-small: TS3 - 19*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff
Irons: :titelist-small:  5 - PW T150, with Nippon Zelos 7 Reg, 4 iron - U505 with Project X HZRDUS Black Stiff

Wedges: :titelist-small: Vokey SM 8 - 50*, 60* Standard Wedge Shafts

Wedge: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 MG3 56* S200 shaft

Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Studio Select Newport 1.5        
Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Phantom X 5.5
Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1x

Spikeless for sure. I worked spiked during high school on the golf team and grew to hate them. I never seem to have an issue with grip even in super wet conditions. Currently rocking some New Balances as they come in wide and are MUCH more comfortable than my old Nikes

:taylormade-small:Super Burner 2.0 10.5*

:cobra-small: Fly-Z hybrid

:edel-golf-1: SMS 4-GW

:ping-small: i3 5 Wood

:titleist-small:SM7 56*,60*, SM8 52*

:odyssey-small: Versa 1 putter

2023 Tested: Edel SMS Irons

I don't really have a preference, but it seems like spikeless shoes were generally more comfortable on my feet. I've had Nike spikes, Nike Lunar Control Vapor and now on ECCO BIOM H4 BOA. I bought spikeless because I mainly practice on the mat in the midwest. For me, the game changer was the BOA component, just because I hate getting the shoe laces dirty (just a weird preference of mine) and it's easy to retighten mid-round.

David

I reiterate most of the comments here, spikes when wet or traction is an issue for any other reason. Spikeless any other time for comfort. 

Really excited about the new Adidas boost, those look awesome but pricey. 

Driver: Callaway Rogue Draw, 10.5*

Fairway woods: Callaway Rogue LS 3 plus, 13.5*

Irons: 3i-Titleist U500, 5i-G- Callaway Rogue 

Wedge: Cleveland RTX ZipCore (56*), Volkey 60*

Putter: Ping Anser Sigma 2

Balls: TaylorMade Tour Response 

Rangefinder: Blue Tees

Spiked (Squairz, Adidas, or Sketchers) for me about 80-90% of the time. The only spineless golf shoes I will wear are Adidas Code Chaos shoes, and I prefer the Boa version of those shoes.

DR - Callaway Paradym AI Smoke TD, Newton Motion 4-Dot

4W - Callaway Paradym 3HL, Newton Motion Fairway shaft, 4-Dot

HYB - Paradym X 18*, HZRDUS Smoke Red 80S; Sub 70 949X 21*, same shaft

7W (if played) - Sub 70 849, ProForce Black 80-S

Irons - Callaway Paradym, HZRDUS Silver Gen 4, S-flex

Wedges - Edison 2.0, 53* and 57* (bent to 58*), KBS TGI 100

Putter - (currently in flux, but usually an Evnroll 8V

Ball - Maxfli Tour-X CG (2023)

Bags - Ghost Golf Maverick Black Ops

Cart - MotoCaddy M7 Remote (without the remote)

Spoiler

driver / off the tee is no longer a weakness for me!

3 hours ago, mharr said:

Spikeless are good. If you slip while swinging, the problem is your swing or balance, not the shoes.  Sam Snead, one of the smoothest swings and longest hitter for his time, would practice barefoot so that he would not get in bad habits with his balance.

Didn't Sam also say, "If you're breaking a sweat, you're not doing it right." Definitely in the Freddie Couples circle of swingers...love to be one of them!

I have both but prefer my spikeless Nike Air Max. They are more comfortable, but when it’s a little wet they do not provide the traction I need. 

Edited by BigJohnB78

WITB:

Driver - Titleist 917 D2

3W - Titleist 917 F2

3H - Titleist 818 H1

4-PW - Callaway Mavrik Max

52/56/60 - Callaway Mack Daddy CB

Putter - Taylormade TP Red Ardmore 3

Bag - Nike Air Hybrid

Ball - Trying out different ones

I have owned both spoked and spineless shoes. I wear spiked when I play, I like them better,  more traction. I just picked up a pair of Under Armour spikes, most comfortable I have ever had, that includes, Foot Joy,  and Nike

I wear spineless, when I work at golf course, comfort, water resistance. 

I like lightweight comfortable shoes with a solid foundation and that is why I am wearing the FJ Premiere shoes.  You know like the ones Tiger is wearing, But I got mine before he did.  I have both the spikeless and the spiked and have not had any issues with them.  I also have the Traditions which come in spiked and spikeless.  Very lightweight and ideal for the walker.  FootJoy shoes are the only golf shoes I will buy and have since 1985.  They got me thru plantar fasciitis.  

Driver - TSi3 10.75* - Fujikura Speeder 661 TR

Fairway - TSi2 14.25* - Fujikura Motore Speeder VC 6.1 

Fairway - TSR1 17.0* - Fujikura Vista Pro 65S

Hybrid - TSR1 19.0* - Fujikura Atmos Red Tour 75  

Hybrid - TSR1 23.0* - Fujikura Atmos Red Tour 75

Irons - T350 (2023) - 5-48W - True Temper AMT Red 95g-107g

Wedges - Vokey SM9 - 52.08F, 56.10S - True Temper AMT Red 94 

**  GolfPride MCC +4 Midsize Grips  (all woods/irons/wedges)

Putter - 2023 Scotty Cameron Super Select Squareback 2 35" 

**  Superstroke 1.0 Pistol Grip  

Golf Ball - TITLEIST - Prov1 (2023)                                                         

Golf Bags - TITLEIST  - Cart 14 (black), Mid Size Tour (black/white)

Golf Glove - FootJoy (StaSof), Shoes, Apparel and Outerwear        

Rangefinder - Bushnell Pro XE

I own 5 pairs of Footjoy icons and 2 pairs of Footjoy Tour Dryjoys. Looking to join the latest century as my playing partners say I am nuts due to the weight etc. Play about 200+ rounds a year in AZ so I am worried about durability. Saw Code chaos received decent reviews. Looking for stability with comfort. 

I’ve only ever used spiked shoes, but I do have a pair of spikeless Adidas code chaos waiting for me when the current ones wear out. Based on all the replies here, I’m excited to give them a go. I love walking so hopefully they’re just as comfortable!

WITB (link to detailed post here):

Driver:  Cobragolflogo.png.602fb363b272aeca0ae57ab591da02de.png LTDx 9* (ProjectX BlueSmoke Stiff)

Fairway metals:  TITLEIST_logo_15px.png.86858562876473681822bdce0336ecd4.png 3W TSR2 14.25* (ProjectX BlueSmoke Stiff) | PXG_Logo.png.e8b8454bf242754d2326ecb0a719cd30.png 5W Gen4 0341XF (Mitsubishi Tensei Blue 75 S)

Hybrid: PXG_Logo.png.e8b8454bf242754d2326ecb0a719cd30.png4H Gen4 0317XF (Mitsubishi Tensei Blue 75HY S)

Irons:   Sub70.png.5f7ea5565c2690f7d237f327e2e5238a.png 659 CB 5-AW (Project X Rifle 6.0)

Wedges:   Sub70.png.5f7ea5565c2690f7d237f327e2e5238a.png 286 54* & 58* (KBS Tour 120 S)

Putter:  Sub70.png.5f7ea5565c2690f7d237f327e2e5238a.png AL-6 armlock | Unofficial review here

Ball:   Vice_logo.png.282566e7be35424dbb3a5d3359e6385f.png pro drip: red & blue | MAXFLI_logo_15px.png.137df4bf59bf3628d99abc6ca08fd43f.png Tour S

Pushcart:  clicgear_logo.png.5569d627daa35e79384784c8a4e886f4.png 4.0 | '23 MGS Clicgear 4.0 Pushcart Tester | Link here

I have yet to find a spikeless set up that I can really swing in.  I rotate through 3 pairs during the season so they stay more comfortable.  Squairz, Footjoy Pro SL and Pro SL BOA.  I have found the toe box on Nike to be too narrow for my feet.  I have got 2 rounds in on the Squairz and my only complaint is they pick up everything, got to clean off the sole before the next tee ( the traction is GREAT>>>_)

B_LinksGolf "Any day golfing is better than a day in the office"

What's in the Bag:

Driver: Callaway Rogue ST 3diamond LS: Tensei raw blue 65g stiff

3w/5w: Callaway Rogue ST LS: Tensei raw blue 65g stiff

4i-6i: Callaway '24 Apex CB/Modus 3 130 X-stiff

7i-10i: Callaway '24 Apex MB/Modus 3 130 X-stiff

Wedges: Callaway Jaws Raw (matte black) 50ºs-grind/54ºs-grind/58ºz-grind

Putter: Callaway AI-one Jailbird mini DB 35"

Both - weather/conditions dependent. Although I’ll tend more towards spikeless if unsure

:tour-edge: C721 9.5 Project X Hzrdus Smoke Blue RDX
:tour-edge: C721 15 Project X Hzrdus Smoke Blue RDX
:tour-edge: C721 18 Project X Hzrdus Smoke Blue RDX
:tour-edge:EXS220 22 Project X Hzrdus Smoke Black
:tour-edge: EXS Pro Forged 5-PW True Temper Dynamic Gold 105 Stiff
:ping-small: Glide 4.0 50/SS Nippon NS Pro Modus3 Tour 105 X Stiff (8i shaft)
:ping-small: Glide 4.0 54/SS Nippon NS Pro Modus3 Tour 105 X Stiff (8i shaft)
:ping-small: Glide 4.0 58/SS Nippon NS Pro Modus3 Tour 105 X Stiff (8i shaft)
:mizuno-small: M-Craft VI with BGT Stability shaft and Super Stroke Zenergy XL Flatso 2.0 (25g CounterCore weight)
seed.png.34e6908c56b2f4a28f3511fa62a86f0d.png SD-01 ball 

MGS Galway Bay Rain Gear Review: https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60769-galway-bay-rain-gear-2023-forum-review/

MGS Star Grip Review: https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63328-star-grips-2024-forum-review/