Testers Wanted: CaddyDaddy The Claw Golf Gloves ×

MacGregor MT86 Irons - 2023 Forum Review

Message added by GolfSpy_APH,

Follow our testers main posts in the links below!

MacGregor MT86 Pro Testers
@DiscipleofPenickTESTING POST
@wely324TESTING POST

MacGregor MT86 OS Testers
@Hook DeLoftTESTING POST
@DoubleBogeyDadTESTING POST

@GolfSpy TCB: TESTING POST (*Forum Staff Tester)

@ZJeb67 - Re-Test Opportunity Post

Based on some of the other testers findings, I will make a point to have the LLL checked on my set.  

From a performance standpoint... I am elated by the MT86's.  I mentioned in another post (VCT I think) that they are "flush" feeling compared to my Paradyms (Which are noticeably "clicky-er"), which doesn't change the results, but goes miles in the "feel" equation for me.  They aren't the same as a pure forged blade (that test will be coming as well as I pit these MT86's against my MacGregor Colokrom Blades, and my Mizuno Pro 221 Blades), but they feel better than the Paradyms, and ... at least from memory... feel very similar to the Taylormade Stealth's. 

I played 18 yesterday.  Shot 73.  Hit 12/18 greens and was just off on 5 other holes (resulting in 4 up and downs).  The only two green I missed that didn't result in a par.. was a 7 iron to a turtleback green with water front and left.  I pulled my approach (gave up on the downswing and just let my arms come across - man I hate my tendency to come over the top...) and landed on the left side slope just off the green and kicked straight left into the water... but was pin high.  The other was another 7 iron out of a fairway bunker that I caught off the toe and ended up short of the green.  Mediocre chip and two putts later... bogey.  

To offset those mis-cues, I had 2 birdies... one was YET AGAIN a 7 iron, flushed from 155 into a 1 club wind... ending up exactly the length of that same 7 iron from the hole.

image.png

I am also REALLY liking the feel of the Recoil shafts... the kick profile seems to be the perfect mix of stable/flex throughout my swing.  

As this was my first complete round with these MacGregors, the results are still early... but extremely promising.

At current, I am 1 over par total with these irons.  😉 

• Titleist TSR3 9* (A2 setting) Driver - Graphite Design Tour AD UB-5 R1
  • Titleist TSR2+ 3 Wood - Graphite Design Tour AD UB-5 R1
  • Srixon ZX 5W
  • Callaway Paradym 4-PW
  • Titleist Vokey SM9 50-08, 54-10 & 58-08
  • Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport 2.5
  • 2023 Titleist ProV1

Just added a couple of comparison photos with two other game improvement irons. 

14 of the following:

Ping G430 Max 10.5 degree

Callaway 2023 Big Bertha 3 wood set to 17 degrees

Cobra F9 Speedback 7/8 wood set at 23.5 degrees

Callaway Epic Max 11 wood

Ping Eye 2 BeCu 2-SW

Mizuno 923 JPX HM HL 6-GW

Hogan sand wedge 56 degree bent to 53

Maltby M Series+ 54 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 Eye2 58 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 60 degree

Evnroll ER2

Ping Sigma 2 Anser

Cheap Top Flite mallet putter from Dick's, currently holding down first place in the bag

TaylorMade Mini Spider

Bridgestone XS

Updated with first impressions and unboxing. Check it out here:

Dr: :taylormade-small: Stealth 10.5°

Woods: :taylormade-small: M4 - 3W 15°, 5W 18°

4i-PW: MacGregor MT86 OS

50.08F/54.10S/60.08M: :vokey-small:

Pu: :ping-small: Ketsch Counter Balance

Ball: :Snell: MTB Prime

Pushcart: :Clicgear: 4.0

Rangefinder: Bushnell Tour V6 Shift

Other: :Arccos:

Had some downtime this morning and was checking the iron lengths. Everything checked out on the MT86 OS. PW measured 35.5" and everything stepped up 0.5" from there to the 4i at 38.5".

My surprise for the day was my Apex CF16s coming in a half inch short of standard! I don't remember doing that when I ordered them 7 years ago 😀.

Might explain the consistent heel strikes I was seeing on the range with the MacGregors, they're a half inch longer than I'm used to!

20230628_100410.jpg.ee1de70be43b205ff2912f046de62de6.jpg

That picture is after 10 shots. At least it was consistent, assuming I can correct this with a simple change in setup now that I've identified the problem.

Got out this morning and played my second round with the MT86. I thought I hit the irons fantastic, but Arccos disagreed. Though I had to punch out on several holes from spraying the driver. I know Arccos doesn't allow for positional plays, so that could be some of it. I'm hitting them at least as far as my previous set, and the dispersion is much tighter. And I still get plenty of feedback with contact to know if I hit it thin or fat. And the sweet spot hits still feel amazing.

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

1 hour ago, DiscipleofPenick said:

Got out this morning and played my second round with the MT86. I thought I hit the irons fantastic, but Arccos disagreed. Though I had to punch out on several holes from spraying the driver. I know Arccos doesn't allow for positional plays, so that could be some of it. I'm hitting them at least as far as my previous set, and the dispersion is much tighter. And I still get plenty of feedback with contact to know if I hit it thin or fat. And the sweet spot hits still feel amazing.

Tom, is there any difference in flight or height between these and your 714CB's?

Driver & Fairway: :titleist-small: Titleist TSR3 10 degree - :Fuji: Ventus TR Blue & :titleist-small: TSR3 15 - :projectx: Hzrdus Black Gen 4 

Hybrid: :titleist-small: TSR2 21 degree - :projectx: Hzrdus Black Gen 4

Irons: :titleist-small: Titleist T200 3G (4) & T150 - (5-G) - :projectx: Project X LZ 

Wedges: :vokey-small: Vokey SM8 54, and 58

Putter: :cameron-small: Cameron Phantom X 7.5

Ball: :titleist-small: Pro V1 & :maxfli: Maxfli Tour

Link to "Unboxing & Set-Up" post

General question to the testers: For those that like to work the ball and shape your shots, have you had any issues in that regard?

WITB:

D: :ping-small: G430 Max 10k ping 2.0 65s

3w: :taylormade-small: Brnr mini driver 13.5 Kai Li White 70x

3h: :ping-small: G430 19° Tour 2/Stiff

7W: :callaway-small: 21° Rogue ST Max LinQ 7X

5i-7i:  :titleist-small: T200 recoil 110 s

7i-PW: :titleist-small: T150 recoil 110 s

52°, 56° & 60°: Kirkland V2 

P:   :cameron-small: Special Select Del Mar

Ball:  :bridgestone-small: Tour BX mindset

Bag:  Ghost MGS Anyday 14 way

"And so, we beat on, boats against the current, borne ceaselessly into the past." - Fitzgerald

” The woods are lovely, dark and deep,   

But I have promises to keep,   

And miles to go before I sleep,   

And miles to go before I sleep. - Frost

"That you are here—that life exists and identity,

That the powerful play goes on, and you may contribute a verse." - Whitman

50 minutes ago, Ben Joest said:

General question to the testers: For those that like to work the ball and shape your shots, have you had any issues in that regard?

I haven’t seen any issues in that regard.  Fades and draws are pretty easy to dial up.  In my specific case, it’s easier to hook the ball than slice it, but that is down to my swing.  I’m testing the OS model.  The player’s model may be different. 

14 of the following:

Ping Eye 2 BeCu 2-SW

Ping Glide 3.0 60 degree

Evnroll ER2

Ping Sigma 2 Anser

Cheap Top Flite mallet putter from Dick's, currently holding down first place in the bag

TaylorMade Mini Spider

Bridgestone XS

12 hours ago, rkj427 said:

Tom, is there any difference in flight or height between these and your 714CB's?

These do seem to fly a little higher. But I think some of that can be attributed to the shaft change. I had the DG X100 in my CBs, which is supposed to be one of (if not the most) lowest launching iron shafts on the market. Now I have the KBS Tour Stiff.

11 hours ago, Ben Joest said:

I'm not really trying to shape the ball yet, but I will once I get more comfortable with these irons.

Take Dead Aim

I played 18 this morning.  I scored poorly because of a bad driver day and worse than usual chipping and pitching.  Those are usually areas of strength so I'm not worried.  On to the irons.  The more I hit the Macgregors, the more I like them.  They sound and feel better than my Mizuno JPX 923 HL irons.  In fact, the Macs feel and sound better than any other GI iron I have hit.  They are also plenty forgiving.  At no point today did the Macs hurt my score.

14 of the following:

Ping Eye 2 BeCu 2-SW

Ping Glide 3.0 60 degree

Evnroll ER2

Ping Sigma 2 Anser

TaylorMade Mini Spider

Bridgestone XS

11 minutes ago, Hook DeLoft said:

I played 18 this morning.  I scored poorly because of a bad driver day and worse than usual chipping and pitching.  Those are usually areas of strength so I'm not worried.  On to the irons.  The more I hit the Macgregors, the more I like them.  They sound and feel better than my Mizuno JPX 923 HL irons.  In fact, the Macs feel and sound better than any other GI iron I have hit.  They are also plenty forgiving.  At no point today did the Macs hurt my score.

I agree HDL... the more I play the Mac's the more I fall for their feel.  

• Srixon ZX 5W
  • Callaway Paradym 4-PW
  • 2023 Titleist ProV1

@GolfSpy TCB @Hook DeLoft Do you think the MT86 OS are solidly in the GI category, the Player's Distance category, or somewhere in between? HQ had them slotted in with Player's Distance.

Compared to my Callaway Apex CF16s, they are a little stronger but have less offset and a little thinner topline.

I feel like that category line is pretty fuzzy and ultimately doesn't matter. If you hit em good you hit em good.

52 minutes ago, DoubleBogeyDad said:

@GolfSpy TCB @Hook DeLoft Do you think the MT86 OS are solidly in the GI category, the Player's Distance category, or somewhere in between? HQ had them slotted in with Player's Distance.

Compared to my Callaway Apex CF16s, they are a little stronger but have less offset and a little thinner topline.

I feel like that category line is pretty fuzzy and ultimately doesn't matter. If you hit em good you hit em good.

I guess you could say they are a very forgiving players distance iron.  Or, a smaller GI club.  Whatever they are, I am impressed. 

14 of the following:

Ping Eye 2 BeCu 2-SW

Ping Glide 3.0 60 degree

Evnroll ER2

Ping Sigma 2 Anser

TaylorMade Mini Spider

Bridgestone XS

14 hours ago, DoubleBogeyDad said:

I guess I would say they are in the GI category - if I had to pigeon hole them... but that isn't really a fair representation of the club.  It does walk the line between the two categories as you both mentioned. 

My thought is... a pure players iron should be a solid metal forging with less offset and a thin top line and narrower sole for workability.  The MacGregor MT86 OS have the "look" of a blade/players iron...but as is the intention... there is a lot going on under the hood with the hollow body and weighting that leans them into the "improvement" category.  I REALLY like the narrow top line - or at least how they conceal the top line.  Much better to look at than my Paradym or Stealth.  Now I haven't had the pleasure to look at/hit the Pro model... @DiscipleofPenick and @wely324 may also have some comments on those.  I was on the fence... when I selected my set, but I don't have regrets...I'm completely happy with the OS so far.

Like you said... ultimately... if you hit em good... you hit em good... and so far... I am 🙂 

• Srixon ZX 5W
  • Callaway Paradym 4-PW
  • 2023 Titleist ProV1

I was first off the tee this morning playing by myself.  Shot a 75, which is my best score in a year.  I hit 8 greens in regulation but most of the missed greens left me a good opportunity to get up and down.  2 or 3 times, I putted from the fringe, so in practical terms those were GIR's.  I discovered that hitting the 9 iron low and on the toe results in a loss of about 12 yards of carry🤪  I ended up on the green after a couple of really bad swings, so no complaints there.  I have been working hard to increase launch angle with my irons.  These irons fly high enough to hold greens without issue.

14 of the following:

Ping Eye 2 BeCu 2-SW

Ping Glide 3.0 60 degree

Evnroll ER2

Ping Sigma 2 Anser

TaylorMade Mini Spider

Bridgestone XS

5 hours ago, GolfSpy TCB said:

I guess I would say they are in the GI category - if I had to pigeon hole them... but that isn't really a fair representation of the club.  It does walk the line between the two categories as you both mentioned. 

My thought is... a pure players iron should be a solid metal forging with less offset and a thin top line and narrower sole for workability.  The MacGregor MT86 OS have the "look" of a blade/players iron...but as is the intention... there is a lot going on under the hood with the hollow body and weighting that leans them into the "improvement" category.  I REALLY like the narrow top line - or at least how they conceal the top line.  Much better to look at than my Paradym or Stealth.  Now I haven't had the pleasure to look at/hit the Pro model... @DiscipleofPenick and @wely324 may also have some comments on those.  I was on the fence... when I selected my set, but I don't have regrets...I'm completely happy with the OS so far.

Like you said... ultimately... if you hit em good... you hit em good... and so far... I am 🙂 

I would say the MT-86 Pro is definitely a players irons, but as you said it is far from the traditional MB/CB blade of years (and tours) past. It's the direction I felt I needed to move in anyways. Also I feel there's more divison in the iron category than the way it's been presented in today's world with the Players/Game Improvement/ Super GI breakdown. Below is how I would break it down. and I'll try to provide examples

Blades - The classic MB tour iron, which I don't think is even played all that much on the PGA anymore, nor is it a one-piece forging - Titleist MB, Srixon Z-Forged, Mizuno 221s

Players CB - Similar to above but the slight forgiveness of a cavity for top level ball strikers - Titleist CB, Mizuno 223s

Players Hollow Body - These are the new irons, weighting is still in the center, but far more forgiving than the other two - MacGregor MT-86, Titleist T100

Players Distance - Same as above, but loft jacked. The above may be 1-2* strong but these are at least 4* - Srixon ZX5, Mizuno JPX923 Hot Metal

Game Improvement - Both hollow body irons and classic cast clubs find there home here - Srixon ZX4, Cobra Aerojet, Cleveland Launcher XL

Super GI - These are the wide sole cast clubs - TM Stealth Glorie, Cleveland Launcher Halo

Take Dead Aim

1 hour ago, DiscipleofPenick said:

I would say the MT-86 Pro is definitely a players irons, but as you said it is far from the traditional MB/CB blade of years (and tours) past. It's the direction I felt I needed to move in anyways. Also I feel there's more divison in the iron category than the way it's been presented in today's world with the Players/Game Improvement/ Super GI breakdown. Below is how I would break it down. and I'll try to provide examples

Blades - The classic MB tour iron, which I don't think is even played all that much on the PGA anymore, nor is it a one-piece forging - Titleist MB, Srixon Z-Forged, Mizuno 221s

Players CB - Similar to above but the slight forgiveness of a cavity for top level ball strikers - Titleist CB, Mizuno 223s

Players Hollow Body - These are the new irons, weighting is still in the center, but far more forgiving than the other two - MacGregor MT-86, Titleist T100

Players Distance - Same as above, but loft jacked. The above may be 1-2* strong but these are at least 4* - Srixon ZX5, Mizuno JPX923 Hot Metal

Game Improvement - Both hollow body irons and classic cast clubs find there home here - Srixon ZX4, Cobra Aerojet, Cleveland Launcher XL

Super GI - These are the wide sole cast clubs - TM Stealth Glorie, Cleveland Launcher Halo

I would also add a separate distinction between full hollow body (i.e. Mizuno Pro 225) vs. a forged undercut (Mizuno Pro 223) which is a bit more toward the GI than the cavity back of old.  Then of course... pure blade (mizuno pro 221). 

Also... now i REALLY want to try the MT86 Pro's.  maybe I see if I can order the "blend" portion of the set (like maybe 8 iron-PW) in the pro.  

How are the Pro's playing for you so far DoP?

• Srixon ZX 5W
  • Callaway Paradym 4-PW
  • 2023 Titleist ProV1

15 hours ago, GolfSpy TCB said:

I would also add a separate distinction between full hollow body (i.e. Mizuno Pro 225) vs. a forged undercut (Mizuno Pro 223) which is a bit more toward the GI than the cavity back of old.  Then of course... pure blade (mizuno pro 221). 

Also... now i REALLY want to try the MT86 Pro's.  maybe I see if I can order the "blend" portion of the set (like maybe 8 iron-PW) in the pro.  

How are the Pro's playing for you so far DoP?

Yea, you can totally split those types of clubs out even more than I listed. Lots of mini-tiers in the overarching players category. And that Mizuno may be the only one-piece forging on the market. 

So far I really like them. The ball goes straight, though I am leaving some shots to the right. Not a fade, just straight. And when I say that I am aiming at the center of the green and hitting the right side of the green, so it's not like a big miss or push. That's just as likely my swing is a little off plane on the moment as anything else. Also I usually take shallow divots, if I don't just pick it clean, and I've found it easier to hit down on shots a bit and really feel that compression off the turf.

Take Dead Aim

Oh boy...today felt like the day things clicked in for me with these irons.

Screenshot_20230708_122700.jpg.1a19ce0c34044beb4d88db3145ca9724.jpg

Screenshot_20230708_162839.jpg.a1e9cb7e31de85664724fa754d78f34a.jpg

My short game was a mess and I couldn't make a putt, but my approach game was on point. Was finding the sweet spot and dang they were smooth.

Like mentioned by DoP, these are players irons but more so a G.I. players iron. The stronger loft and hollow head are producing longer carry distances for me. I’d say they are similar to a p770. They feel more forgiving than a t100, definitely produce a higher flight but that could also be difference in shafts to me. More testing to come.

Was cool to see HQ list the MT86 in their Best Of Golf 2023 article today!

https://mygolfspy.com/news-opinion/best-of-golf/

Just added an update with some info on forgiveness.

14 of the following:

Ping Eye 2 BeCu 2-SW

Ping Glide 3.0 60 degree

Evnroll ER2

Ping Sigma 2 Anser

TaylorMade Mini Spider

Bridgestone XS

Added another pic showing forgiveness on toe shots. 

14 of the following:

Ping Eye 2 BeCu 2-SW

Ping Glide 3.0 60 degree

Evnroll ER2

Ping Sigma 2 Anser

TaylorMade Mini Spider

Bridgestone XS

I wish MacGregor would offer a matching gap wedge.  Basically, the 5 through PW set I have is a 4 through 9 iron set.  I am planning on buying a gap wedge from another DTC that I think would be a good match.  Otherwise, I continue to be impressed with the clubs.

14 of the following:

Ping Eye 2 BeCu 2-SW

Ping Glide 3.0 60 degree

Evnroll ER2

Ping Sigma 2 Anser

TaylorMade Mini Spider

Bridgestone XS

@Hook DeLoft I second that. I've kept my Apex AW in the bag, but it's cut down a half inch and I'm struggling adjusting to it. I'll probably fill in a specialty 50° from Vokey.

I would prefer 5i-GW instead of 4i-PW.

Yes I will agree the 4-pw plays more like a 3-9 iron coming from a set of traditional blades.  A set gap wedge would be ideal.

I will say they go straight, rather forgiving on toe mishits, and pure as can be on center strikes. Such a fun set of irons that don’t bring the demand of ball striking required by a solid forged head. I didn’t warm up today and the first hole was ok, the strikes were not in the center but I made a par after hitting the green with a thin shot. My next iron shot, with a 6 iron was so solid. The sound and feel through impact was a great feeling with feedback that I knew right away I hit it dead center. MT86 could definitely be a winner for a hollow body players iron, still undecided if they will win over a current blade player like myself?!

15 hours ago, Deepred said:

I posted on FB they need a club in the 49* range that matches the set for these and for the Ram FX77 irons. They eventually replied they are working on adding additional lofts.

A 49 could match up great to a 54/59 or abouts wedge setup. 

34 minutes ago, wely324 said:

A 49 could match up great to a 54/59 or abouts wedge setup. 

Yep.  With the Macs, I go from a 44 degree pitching wedge to a 54 degree sand wedge. 

14 of the following:

Ping Eye 2 BeCu 2-SW

Ping Glide 3.0 60 degree

Evnroll ER2

Ping Sigma 2 Anser

TaylorMade Mini Spider

Bridgestone XS