Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

3 clubs only!

This weekend I'm playing in a tournament that only allows you to bring three clubs I'm currently thinking about my 3 wood a 7 iron and my pitching wedge but I wanted to get everyone  opinion what 3 clubs would you pick

Ogio bag

Driver: Cobra LTDX

3 wood: PING 425 max

Irons 5-U : PING G710s

52 bent to 51 vokey 

54: vokey 

58 degree: Callaway jaws 

putter: Wilson harmonized v2 / testing   Odessy AI- ONE Double Wide    

Three clubs with or without your putter?

Ping G430 Max driver 10.5 degrees with an Alta Quick45 gram senior shaft
Callaway Epic 3 wood, Project X Evenflow Green 45 gram senior shaft  
Callaway GBB Epic Heavenwood, with a Mitsubishi Diamana 50 gram senior shaft
Ping G 20.5 degree 7 wood, with a stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Ping G 26 degree hybrid, stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Callaway Paradym X irons, 7-AW with Aldila Ascent Blue 50 graphite shafts
Edison wedges:  50, 55 and 60 degree, KBS Tour Graphite A flex shafts
Putters:  L.A.B. Direct Force 2.1 putter, 34.5" long, 67 degrees lie

2022 MGS Tester:  Shot Scope Pro XL+ with H4  

3 clubs only so i was told if you choose a putter that is 1 and its a two man scramble and the guy im playing with is already chosen putter 56 and a 4 iron 

Ogio bag

52 bent to 51 vokey 

I played in a 3-club tournament many years ago when I couldn't break 60 for nine holes... shot 47!!  I kept the ball out of trouble!!  I chose 5i, 9i and putter... used the 9i as my wedge, but your choice of clubs will likely be different.  I based my choice on the length of the par 3's and my ability to hit reasonably full shots.  I could reach the par 5's with 3 shots with either three 5i or two 5i and a 9i.  Took 3 shots to reach some of the par 4's, but par and bogey putts are not bad in this format.  I was fairly new to golf, and I needed my putter since I had no experience putting with anything else.  

I play on a different course today and I don't hit the ball as far as I did back then, so my choice today would be much different... likely HeavenWood, 7i, and SW which is again, based on the par 3's on this course.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Personally, I think it depends on the yardage of the holes. I would look at the par 3’s and pick a club that would allow you to reach them or be chipping. On par 4’s, I would pick a club and iron that would allow you to reach or be chipping on them. Possibly, 3 or 5 wood then iron. I would not select a putter, I would use 8 or 9 iron for chipping and putting.

Edited by GaDawg

Driver: :titelist-small: TSI3 - 10*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus - 10.5*, Oban Kiyoshi Purple O4Flex-65 Grams Purred
3 Wood: :taylormade-small: SIM - 15*, Graphite Design Tour AD DJ5 Stiff
Hybrid: :titelist-small: TS3 - 19*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff
Irons: :titelist-small:  5 - PW T150, with Nippon Zelos 7 Reg, 4 iron - U505 with Project X HZRDUS Black Stiff

Wedges: :titelist-small: Vokey SM 8 - 50*, 60* Standard Wedge Shafts

Wedge: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 MG3 56* S200 shaft

Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Studio Select Newport 1.5        
Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Phantom X 5.5
Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1x

I'd be tempted to take a hybrid over the 3 wood. Not sure what the course that you intend to play is like but the hybrid would give more versatility out of non-fairway lies. Might also function suitably enough as a putter.

Cobra F9 9.5° (Hzrdus Yellow X)

Cobra Speedzone 15° (Tensei Blue X)

Srixon H85 19° (Hzrdus Black 85 6.0)

Mizuno MP20 MMC 4-PW (KBS $ Taper 120S)

Mizuno T20 51°, 55°, 59° (KBS $ Taper 120S)

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 34"

Srixon ZStar

I'd probably take putter unless my partner really felt strongly about using their putter instead.  With putter I'd go 4H and 9I.  Without putter...4H, 7I GW.

Cobra Aerojet Max driver

Cobra Aerojet Max 3 wood and 7 wood

Cobra Aerojet 4/5/6 hybrids

Cobra Aerojet 7-PW, GW

Cobra Snakebite 52° and 58° wedges

Cobra King Stingray 20 putter

I think I go 4H, 7i, and PW. The hybrid wins over the 3w as I'm most likely ending up in the rough and much more likely to get out with that.

Driver:            :cobra-small: Aerojet 9* | Hzrdus Black Gen 4
Fairway:         :ping-small: G410 3W 13* | Alta CB 65
Hybrid:           :titleist-small: TS2 18* | Tensei AV Blue 70 S
Hybrid:           :ping-small: iCrossover 20* | Kai'li White 80
Irons:              :taylormade-small: P790 5-PW | DG S300
Wedges:         :titleist-small: Vokey SM9 | 52, 56, 60 | DG S200
Putter:            :L.A.B.: Link.1 | Accra x LAB

--- LAB Golf Link.1 Review ---

Thanks everyone i was going more flat face to be able to putt if needed but i thing im going to go with my 5 hybrid instead of the 3 wood 

Ogio bag

52 bent to 51 vokey 

If u go anything above 21* might as well just use the driver. If u hit it well it will be worth it.

I'd for sure not waste a selection on anything more lofted than an 8 or 9.

Wedges are so limited and a nine is lofted enough yet u can still hood it and do all kinds of good things. 

***Question would be....

Since it is a two man team can you use any of the six clubs or only dip from your personal 3?

Since this tourney has ditched golf rules it's worth wondering. 

WITB

Drivers: Cobra F9 w/Atmos

HOOK STICKS(hybrids): Adams Pro 20*/23*  hook sticks!🤓

IRONS: Bridgestone Tour Stage TS-202 (5-PW)  /  Yamaha Inpres XV Forged (5-PW)   /   Ping Eye2 (3-S)

WEDGES: Callaway MackDaddy2 52*/56*

PUTTER: Ping Zing2 /  Anser4  /  Bobby Grace LoPro   / Bobby Grace Fat Lady Swings

BALLS:   :srixon-small:  Z-Star    :vice:  Pro +

:ping-small:        :callaway-logo-1:   :cobra-small:   :1332069271_TommyArmour:      :bobby-grace-1:   :adams-small:      :cleveland-small: 

I think I’d go with a 3H, 7i, and 52. Enough distance and flexibility for any shot, from chip to approach to long. It’s funny, the times I mess around on the green and putt with the blade of my 60, it almost seems to be more consistent than my putter 🤣

- Kyle M

2H, 7I, and 52

WITB

My league does a ‘3 Club’ night once a year and it’s a ton of fun and surprisingly, many play better (Less mind clutter with less clubs to choose from?)…

I typically use 3H, 8i and putter. 3H gives a lot of versatility for longer tee shots, I can do a lot with my 8i surprisingly and the putter, although not obvious, is critical from a scoring perspective.

I’ve seen too many ‘victims’ who think they can putt with other clubs and lose their minds on the greens - A playing partner actually had a 5 putt with his 7i and was almost in tears LOL!

:taylormade-small: Qi10 Ruby Red 460 Driver 9.0D (Fujikura Vista Pro 65S) 
:taylormade-small: BRNR Mini-Driver 11.5D* (Fujikura Vista Pro 55S) 
:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 Plus 3 Fairway 15.0D (Fujikura Vista Pro 65S) 
:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 Plus 3 Hybrid 19.5D (Fujikura Vista Pro HB 70S)
:taylormade-small: Stealth Irons (KBS C-Taper Lite 110 S) (4-LW) Golf Pride CP2 Pro Jumbo Grips (All Metals / Irons)
:taylormade-small: My TP Soto Silver and Black Putters* (Custom / KBS CT Tour) - Golf Pride :taylormade-small: Pistol
:taylormade-small: My Spider Tour X3 Putter* (Custom / KBS Black PVD) - SuperStroke Zenergy Pistol GT 1.0
:taylormade-small: Supreme Cart Bag (Black / Red) :taylormade-small: TP5 Golf Ball
:Clicgear: 4.0 Push Cart / :skycaddie: SX550 GPS / :bushnell: ProX3 Laser Rangefinder

(*Interchangeable to adhere to 14 club rule)

I'd make sure I can reach the par 5s in 3.  So my longest club would probably be a 3 hybrid.  That should give me enough distance and I can finesse it for shots about 150-200 as long as nothing too tall is in the way.  Then I'd go with probably an 8 or 9 iron depending on the par 3s; probably a 9 because it would be easier to use around the greens.  Then, putter.  Even if my partner has putter, I want to have a chance to shave some strokes on the green.

3hy, 9i, P

edit:  Just noticed the post above mine has the same strategy.

Edited by Brooky03

I played in this format last year with some friends, and at the time chose Driver, Putter, and PW.

In hindsight, I should've gone with 4 hybrid for drives and fairway. PW for approach and short game, and Putter for the greens and fringe shots.  We had fun, and it really opens your imagination as to what a single club can be used for on the course.  

On 8/10/2023 at 3:17 PM, GaDawg said:

Personally, I think it depends on the yardage of the holes. I would look at the par 3’s and pick a club that would allow you to reach them or be chipping. On par 4’s, I would pick a club and iron that would allow you to reach or be chipping on them. Possibly, 3 or 5 wood then iron. I would not select a putter, I would use 8 or 9 iron for chipping and putting.

This I'd the right answer. If you know your yardage, break down the holes in advance. Heck, write thr game plan down on an index card and bring it with. Then based on that, figure out the clubs that let you hit the most shots possible,  or are close enough that you can make it work with bump and rubs, partial shots, etc. 

For me on my home course, that would probably be 3 hybrid or 5 iron,  8 iron, 48 degree. Mainly cause I've done no putter rounds before and there's a lot of high rough. For others I've seen 6, 9 and putter because they hit longer and are playing the course in controlled chunks. 

Rag tag bag, but it does the job. 

Taylormade R1 driver.

Ping G400 3 wood.

Cleveland Halo Launcher 3 hybrid.

Cleveland CBX launcher irons (5-PW). 

Assorted wedges (48, 52, 58).

Odyssey White Hot Pro 2.0 putter.